The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you fucking kidding me (Advertisement, and games I hate)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Are you fucking kidding me (Advertisement, and games I hate) Reply with quote

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/clips/new-gears-of-war-ad-210089.php

This is an advertisement for GoW. It is supposed to appeal to your "sensitive side".

And I fucking hate it.

Gears of War does nothing but glorify male machismo. I feel that there is nothing wrong with that - I did just finish Yakuza and GodHand. What I have a problem with is that GoW doesn't really understand how immature it is. The soldier is twice the size of a normal human being, couple that with the loaded imagery of reflections of ravaged buildings and destroyed beauty, and you have something of a bomb. Don't forget that they have the GoW logo in the reflection, too. That gear/skull thing is pretty cute.

The first few comments along with Crecente's admission of an emotional response just kill me. Gears of War is not about death, or sadness, or regret. I mean, they're playing the goddamn Donnie Darko soundtrack for a game that is about as heavy metal as a bunch of nerds programming their XBox 360s can make a video game. God, I want to puke.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reminds me of the horrendous gameplay videos or AMVs teenagers end up doing.

Good Lord, I can't believe people are taking this game so seriously. It's ridiculously clichéd, in style and substance. And the dialogue from gameplay trailers, Jesus.

I honestly wonder though how all of a sudden Cliffy B became a big name game developer.

No, really, that was laughable.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I honestly wonder though how all of a sudden Cliffy B became a big name game developer.

hottest girlfriend in the business

_Marcel Duchamp
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so the forum kiddies followed the trail.

Dearie me.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you fucking kidding me (Advertisement, and games I h Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Gears of War is not about death, or sadness, or regret.

That's really strange, because a lot of what I've been reading implies that these are all meant to be the game's subtle undertones. Whether or not it achieves this remains to be seen, but the trailers they've shown so far all lean in that direction.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

No, really, that was laughable.

Have you heard the guy talk about his games? He knows games and he knows what he's doing. Watching him play GoW at E3 convinced me that it's going to be a great game. He explained the thinking that went into the design decisions while he played, and some of the things are really subtly innovative. I have a feeling that you'll see a lot of the Gears of War concepts making their way into other games soon.

Seriously though, what leads you to believe that it's going to be a bad game?

-Wes

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the answer to your question is self-promotion. Nothing wrong with that!

Last edited by SuperWes on Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been under the impression that it is completely aware of how over-the-top it is. I have also been under the impression that Cliffy B's notoriety exists only because he goes by that shitty name.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I haven't heard much or seen much about Gears of War, but what I do know completely contradicts anything that has to do with... anything...

What I mean is that you have these big hulking characters sporting Gears and Skulls and metal and whatever. They run around carrying huge guns and chainsaws and they kill aliens. They take cover, pop out, shoot more aliens. The "co-op" mode is touted to be amazing, and so are the headshots. This makes the game look like a $60 digital male fantasy game.

Maybe Cliffy B still wants to talk about issues like death and regret. Maybe he wants to make war seem like hell. But I don't know if that will be successful considering some of the other elements in his game. It would be interesting if Cliffy tried getting that story across - that story of sadness. It would be especially interesting in terms of that gamer mindset because, to us gamers, nothing about Gears of War is out of the ordinary.

I'd still call bullshit on the emotional aspect of the game. If it was really an honest effort to add something more than guns and glory, there's no way he'd pick Mad World to showcase it.

_Marcel Duchamp
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Seriously though, what leads you to believe that it's going to be a bad game?

Probably the cliches, the machismo, and all the hype surrounding it.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to this game too. From what little I've seen it looks like a faster paced Resident Evil 4 with really really really good graphics. I'm sure it's got its own thing going on though, but just that kind of concept alone along with the name behind it (didn't any of you guys like Unreal or Unreal Tournament?) has sold me on the game.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Because the Unreal Tournament games sold like gangbusters? He was also one of the few developers to really directly involve himself with the mod community that sprung up around his game. He had a site where you could submit your own UT level mods and he'd tell you how much he thought they rocked or sucked.

He's been popular on the web for some time, just now all the hype around Gears is making his name known to the general public.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Have you heard the guy talk about his games? He knows games and he knows what he's doing. Watching him play GoW at E3 convinced me that it's going to be a great game. He explained the thinking that went into the design decisions while he played, and some of the things are really subtly innovative. I have a feeling that you'll see a lot of the Gears of War concepts making their way into other games soon.

I liked it better when it was called kill.switch.

Honestly though, I am aware of Cliffy B's role at Epic in the past and his standing as a game designer. I have no doubt that there will be, as you said, subtle innovations in the gameplay. It does indeed look solid. What I find outright laughable is the pretense of the story, the idea that an Unreal Tournament reject taking on Image comics bad-guys will somehow be emotionally involving. The little cutscenes that have been revealed have shown nothing more than trite, truly uninspired, dialogue and an effort to make the lead character yet another 90s-era burned-out bad-ass. It's the same sort of fanaticism that happened with the Halo series: On one hand, yes, I completely understand why people love these games, because damn, they're really well made, but the claims to epic story-telling are utterly ludicrous.

And Mr. Mechanical: See, I'd prefer if by an artistic standpoint they had went for something more in tone with Unreal rather than the Tournament series. I love both games, but the Tournament series works because it's just multiplayer laughs. Nothing serious about it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
It reminds me of the horrendous gameplay videos or AMVs teenagers end up doing.

I think it may be. It doesn't have the X360 noise at the end of the commercial.
Also, it is edited terribly for that song.

I literally lawled.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty song.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but the original is better.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a real ad, then I don't have a problem with it. Yes, it's a game about large men with big guns shooting large aliens. But it very well may have something more to it; we (as in the public we) have been shown very little of the actual game.

I think an ad that doesn't try to go the "In a world... [sounds of explosions]... only you can save humankind!" route should be applauded, not reviled. Even in the final game is very much of the Bruckheimer variety, I appreciate this different approach. It's a quiet spot, and that alone is worth some kudos. It has heart; let's toss aside the jaded cynicism and hope the game does too.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are overlooking the fact that there is just so much goddamn loaded imagery.

_Marcel Duchamp
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like you can't really judge a movie by a trailer these days, the same is becoming true with video games (funny enough, as they become more cinematic in general).

I really can't comment on the commercial/trailer since I haven't seen it, and that's because I actually can't (GameVideos, along with every other ZD site, does not play well with Macs), but the way its being described... I really don't understand why people are so upset.

I recall similar complaints with God of War, which was also called way too "macho". Umm... video games have always appealed to that side of people. Always. Its always been about killing and stopping, and its always been rather immature about it as well. Now that things are a bit more vivid, its all of a sudden a bad thing? Conversely, I don't really recall a time when video games have appealed to people's sensitive sides, at least to a great degree. Granted, there isolated examples, but overall, video games have always been built on violence, which has always had a strong share of masculinity, and like a mindless jock,

But anyway, the point of advertising is to get people talking, so... mission accomplished.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
about as heavy metal as a bunch of nerds

dude, heavy metal is about as nerdy as you can get. seriously. next time you got to a high on fire show count the number of dorkwads. you will die from brain stress.

and holy shit you people are fucking nuts on a stick - that's a great commercial. totally unexpected and it caught my attention by being just different enough in presentation. i am never going to play this game and don't even know what platform it's on but c'mon feel the fucking juxtaponoise! it was clever enough to keep me interested the whole time, and maybe i'm a low bar, but i didn't see it at trying to be sensitive in the slightest. it's just an interesting combination playing off of the most obvious expectations.

the lack of a soundtrack forces you to really look to see what's happening. it also leaves you waiting for wind down sad song, fast cut kaboom and the obligatory SO YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD HIDE BEHIND YOUR PUSSY TEARS *#$&@$@!#*BLAMMMO*%%&$**$ GEARS OF WAR WILL KILL EVERYTHING WITH A BILLION WEAPONS BLAMMO BLAMMO YEAH voiceover.

also, my wife watched the whole thing. that's crossover appeal!

and these are my production notes for gears of war: the commercial.

edit: presuming this was real and not just a fan made thing, i mean.

Last edited by dhex on Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
(GameVideos, along with every other ZD site, does not play well with Safari, a steaming pile of a browser),
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex, I just honestly think the commercial is real. Normally when the 360 logo pops up at the end there is a little inverted *bloop*-ish sound. This commercial didn't have it and it just reeks of the stuff that AMV kids make.

Also, yeah, heavy juxtposition. I meant to say that in my first post Sad

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
FortNinety wrote:
(GameVideos, along with every other ZD site, does not play well with Safari, a steaming pile of a browser),

It's hit or miss for me. 1up.com and other sites work just fine in Safari for me. They all work perfectly in Firefox, though, so try that! (Also, you can get a Flash blocker and ad blocker to make 1up.com actually load quickly.)

I think Dhex said what I did, but in a much more humourous way. Now I want to see the line, "YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD HIDE BEHIND YOUR PUSSY TEARS!??!?" on every GoW ad for the next couple of weeks!

Also, word on the street is that this ad is going to be available for download, etc. on Xbox Live, so it looks like it's real!

Microsoft employs the audio with the 360 logo as a type of audio branding—same as Intel used to, same as Sony does with PS2. But it would just seem odd having that effect after the somber music, so they let the soundtrack play over the closer, methinks.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that an REM song?
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's a popularised cover (Blame Donnie Darko) by Gary Jules of a Tears for Fears song.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
To be honest, I haven't heard much or seen much about Gears of War, but what I do know completely contradicts anything that has to do with... anything...

On the MTV2 Gods of Gaming thing (which was actually really good) Cliffy B talked about one scene in GoW that involves going back to the main character's childhood home and seeing how the war has changed it. I'm sure the scene won't be a Metal Gear sized cutscene, but I'm guessing it'll be effective if not a bit melodramatic.

But you know what? Who cares if it's not great, the fact that he's trying to do something just slightly more than just macho blam, blam bang with his big guys with guns game should mean something, right?

And in the end I think dhex and Fort Ninety are on the right track when they say it's awesome and it's advertizing, so serves its purpose. Loaded imagery is what games with hulking guys with guns are allz about.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
On the MTV2 Gods of Gaming thing (which was actually really good) Cliffy B talked about one scene in GoW that involves going back to the main character's childhood home and seeing how the war has changed it. I'm sure the scene won't be a Metal Gear sized cutscene, but I'm guessing it'll be effective if not a bit melodramatic.

Fucking bullshit asshole.

Oh, GEARS of War.

A certain bad game already has that abbv, don't use it on a game that may be ok.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of rem, if grandia two had a trailer, it could use "losing my religion"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO IN GEARS OF WAR YOUR GUN HAS A CHAINSAW ON IT! IT'S TOTALLY AWESOME AND EDGY AND COOL, I READ ABOUT IT IN THE NEW EGM...

says this kid in my Digital Art 2 class.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a gun with a chainsaw on it sounds pretty cool. that would have saved doom 3, even.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
a gun with a chainsaw on it sounds pretty cool. that would have saved doom 3, even.
only if it had a flashlight too. [/rimshot!]
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man dhex, you REALLY hate Grandia 2 don't you.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like your people hate dogs, dude. those tasty, hateful dogs.

it was a 10 dollar unemployed impulse buy, iirc. like dark cloud 2 and dw7, it was part of the long and painful road of discovering that japan just ain't for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
like your people hate dogs, dude. those tasty, hateful dogs.

it was a 10 dollar unemployed impulse buy, iirc. like dark cloud 2 and dw7, it was part of the long and painful road of discovering that japan just ain't for me.

Okay dhex, I seriously think your problem is less with JRPG's and more with the fact that you're only playing the absolute shittiest of them available.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Cloud 2 is probably the only game I've ever played in which I didn't even bother getting past the introduction.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Dark Cloud 2 is probably the only game I've ever played in which I didn't even bother getting past the introduction.

It's one of the few games that my wife has returned out of disgust. She hates trading in games about as much as I do too.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?

What about space trading?

Everyone loves space trading!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh, the first PS3 commercial in the US.

It's just fucking weird.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Chris Cunningham and David Lynch were busy that week.

I think this type of thing has lost the shock impact it once had (like 10 years ago). It was feeling pretty creaky when the PS2 came out, in fact. Now it seems like self-parody.

Wii has pretty good TV adverts! Nintendo during the Gamecube era was like the little brother who you knew could be a smashing young man if only he would buck his ideas up. Under Iwata it's like that brother has finally grown up and started wearing nice shirts and being charming to people.

Expounding on this metaphor, Sony is like that cool friend you had in high school who is still living the same life he was living then and it's getting slightly embarrassing.

Microsoft is a naked hairy giant who looks through your top window and does toilet.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Nintendo during the Gamecube era was like the little brother who you knew could be a smashing young man if only he would buck his ideas up.

This article is fairly old, but something I wrote about the gamecube commercials back then.

Also, I like David Lynch's PS2 commercial.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, all the Japanese Gamecube promotional stuff, from the box art to the website to the TV ads to the size of the boxes, were sort of neat.

Nintendo of America and Europe didn't seem to get it, though. Their promotional stuff was basically just a neutered version of what Sony and Microsoft were doing, perhaps geared more towards younger children. I always thought they should have celebrated the Gamecube's otherness, instead (which is pretty much what the British DS ads are doing now.)

I like David Lynch's PS2 ad for what it is.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give that much to Sony: They have a creative marketing department. I remember even the first PlayStation adverts being unreal and interesting.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

I don't see a lot to like there. It seems weird just for the sake of being wierd. This one's pretty sweet though!

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one's quite good because it does sum up the experience of playing a crappy Codemasters racing game on the PS2.

It's not particularly original though- it's just like Johnathan Glazer's video for Rabbit In Your Headlights by UNKLE, as someone pointed out in that Youtube comments box.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the deer that wrecks the car? Yeah, that's not david lynch. He only did one. And I never said I liked it as a PS2 commercial.

FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

It's just fucking weird.

Man, what a lame 2001 parody. And if its not supposed to be one, then Sony is really missing the boat here.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I look into it, the more interested in Gears of War I get. It's mainly the gameplay, which seems idyllic for a third person view game (Then again, I thought The Punisher translated its feature character amazingly well to the game mechanics, so take from that what you will), including the camera effects. Still not convinced about the story. Some of the dialogue snippets in trailers are painful and the Locusts still look like Spawn rejects, but at least they come off as humanoid and there seems to be an effort made.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
Nintendo during the Gamecube era was like the little brother who you knew could be a smashing young man if only he would buck his ideas up.

This article is fairly old, but something I wrote about the gamecube commercials back then.

Are you SURE that's Lynch? I know it's got everything but a seeing ear and freud giving high fives to a black version of freud, but it still doesn't look right to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this one is the only one that I've seen elsewhere as done by Lynch.

Although the above one with the guy in the hallway is the only one that's listed here.
B coma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

It's just fucking weird.

Man, what a lame 2001 parody. And if its not supposed to be one, then Sony is really missing the boat here.

it can be a reference whether it's conscious or not. a bit of a tough call here, but I would imagine it was.

also, it reminds me of some the mid 90's 32 bit console war commercials, with it's (admittedly forced) desire to be intense/surreal. remember the theater of the eye stuff?

http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/games/commercials/usa/saturn.mp4

also, I am reminded again of the CDi infomercial where the console is sentient and has a woman's voice, and talks shit on the guy playing Zelda for being terrible at playing Zelda on the system's remote. that was definitely more unintentionally strange, though.

further off topic, easily the best sega commercial ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-XOw0IT-vU
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:

further off topic, easily the best sega commercial ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-XOw0IT-vU

That's brilliant!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: