The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Wii Games (i.e. I'm thinking about Madden Wii)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
player 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Interesting Wii Games (i.e. I'm thinking about Madden Wii) Reply with quote

I woke ujp at 5am this morning out of happenstance, and I ended up going to Best Buy waiting in line and snagging a Wii ticket to secure a Wii (2, even, my mom was excited to get one). The line was interesting. Far more interesting than the FFXII line. There were a ton more adults - 3 of whom were getting Wiis for themselves, and 3 of whom were waiting with their kids.

Anyways, I'm looking to buy a few games. I'm not sure which one(s) I'm getting, and that's where you guys come in.

Games that interest me:

Madden
Dragonball Z
Super Monkeyball
Zelda?

... pretty much anything new and different. Zelda is a big maybe because it's more different than it is new. Madden is less of a maybe because I hardly ever play Madden games, and it sounds like it's really innovative. I mean, they're describing it as minigames within context. That's like fucking real life man.

Anyways, I know there are a ton of Wii threads. This one is about interesting launch games more about innovation and creativity than anything else. I'll post my own impressions of games as soon as I get them. You guys should post impressions (or even just a *gasp* list) of games you've thought were innovative or creative, too. So!

Edit:

IGN Wii wrote:
Passing rocks, maneuvering on the field is amazingly intuitive and fast, and everyone that got their hands on Madden 07 had a blast. One editor stated that Madden 07 for Wii was the first game that truly convinced him to pick up a Wii for himself. Mind you, we've been playing games like Wii Sports and Zelda: Twilight Princess over the last few weeks, and this editor isn't a fan of the Madden series at all. If you want your answer to whether or not Madden 07 is a perfect fit for Wii, you just got it.

Edit #2:

Dragon Ball Z looks fucking sweet. Has anyone played it? The videos on youtube make it look like you're pretending to be all the DBZ characters (also, 120 characters, what?). This is exactly what I did when I was 10 and wanted to throw fireballs like Ryu and Ken.

Edit #3:

DBZ videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4Q_VE771I

Uh, what!?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
B coma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am pretty intrigued by Madden for Wii, and for reference the last football videogames I owned/played were NFL Blitz and Ten Yard Fight. Unfortunately I am already strapped for cash for, oh, the rest of the year.

I did, however, buy Excite Truck. After the first Bronze race tier, which felt really awkward, I got a feeling for the controls - then the game became totally awesome after that, and I went for S-Rank scores on all of the standard Excite courses, which opened Super Excite (which I think is hard mode? I haven't tried it yet).
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Monkeyball and Excite Truck. Apart from a cursory glance at Wii Sports and Monkey Ball (which I mostly bought to be played with my girlfriend), Excite Truck hasn't left the drive. The reviews all shat on it with the standard "looks ugly" and "tech demo" and "sloppy controls" stuff, which is pretty wide of the mark. It's kind of in the same space for me as the Rush series, and maybe the SSXs too, but with much more of a focus on pacing. The whole thing's fast, and the controls are floating (not sloppy- the entire game is predicated on a feel of being ungrounded), so you need to be thinking about your route farther ahead than in most games. Plus you're looking to crash into opponents, buzz trees without crashing, alter the landscape for jumps, and boost your way to the next one without overheating. Then you're airborn, trying to pull of a spin or two while steering through hoops in midair and trying to land perfectly for another speed boost.

It sounds pretty standard I guess, but doing all that with the physicality and imprecision of the Wii controls really makes it all come together in a pretty thrilling manner. It's too bad there's no online, yes, and I'm hoping they make a sequel with that down the road, but what's here is fun and totally cohesive. For now I'll call it the Yoshi's Touch & Go of the Wii.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excite truck is pretty much the only wii game i'm interested in right now, if that means anything.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey player 2, are Wii that hard to find in Wisconsin? I'm going home for christmas and was thinking maybe I have a better chance finding one there than in CA.
player 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kinda interested in Excite Truck, but I am mostly interested in games that deal with gestures in interesting ways. It's really simple to take a controller and use it well in a literal way, but if you can take a controller and seemlessly map complicated functions... well shit.

Also, Wii Sports > Zelda.

Also, Wii Sports > a lot of games.

Edit:

@ Nana

Are they hard to find in Wisconsin? Well, they're hard to find, but I'm not sure if they're harder to find here than in California. My advice is if you want one pick one up whenever the opportunity presents itself. I ended up falling asleep in my living room during a late night movie and waking up at 5am, so I decided to check out my local Best Buy (that's 5 minutes away from my house).

_Marcel Duchamp

Last edited by player 2 on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, player 2. Red Steel has many pages of gesture combinations (flick nunchuck and remote away from each other to open doors, or something), but I don't think that's what you (or any of the rest of us) are looking for.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Are they hard to find in Wisconsin? Well, they're hard to find, but I'm not sure if they're harder to find here than in California. My advice is if you want one pick one up whenever the opportunity presents itself. I ended up falling asleep in my living room during a late night movie and waking up at 5am, so I decided to check out my local Best Buy (that's 5 minutes away from my house).

The thing is, I really don't want to go out of my way to find one of I can help it. I'm not twelve any more, so calling every store in the area every single day isn't appealing any more. Plus i live in the most tech-centric area of the country where there are more geeks than anyone else, so I figure I won't see a Wii in stores here until June which is why I was thinking Wisconsin.
B coma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Excite Truck to everyone, though I know a lot of folks find the MSRP of $50 to be a bit too rich for most games, and I tend to spend a lot of my income on games, so take that as you will.

Still, for a lot of the reasons simplicio mentioned it is one of the best launch games, the custom soundtrack feature rocks, and aside from the odd framerate (jumps back and forth between 30-60 FPS) the game is gorgeous.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana: The Toys R Us in my area gave out rainchecks such that you have one put aside with your name on it in the next shipment. They call you when it arrives and then you pick it up. It's like post-ordering! Totally no-hassle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
player 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's bring this back to the topic of interesting Wii games.

What I'm looking for is interesting gesture control that isn't gimmick. Red Steel may not be your cup of tea, but I think they're heading in a good direction. Games like Madden and DBZ are all about the fantasy of being Reggie Bush or Goku - gesturing is a huge part of make believe. I actually should add Red Steel to my gotta-try Wii list.

_Marcel Duchamp
GcDiaz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how soon will EB Games/Gamestop have it in stock? I am more and more interested in getting it, but I want to trade in the Cube for the paltry discount.
B coma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much would a Gamecube fetch right now, I wonder? I'd be more inclined to give ours away to a friend or family member at this point since we took in the Wii, but the 'cube actually belongs to my gal.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
How much would a Gamecube fetch right now, I wonder? I'd be more inclined to give ours away to a friend or family member at this point since we took in the Wii, but the 'cube actually belongs to my gal.

Find out how much they give for a Wii and I'll pay you that much plus shipping plus a few bucks if you're willing to sell it to me instead. I want to give one to my Niece for Christmas, but mine's modded and I don't want to lose my ability to play Homeland (especially since I haven't played it at all yet).

Back to the original topic.

I went crazy for Wii games and ended up buying Zelda, Excite Truck, Red Steel, Monkey Ball, Rayman, Trauma Center, and Wii Sports.

My preferred games (in order) with descriptions are:

Zelda: Amazing because it's Zelda and it's nearly the perfect videogame (but it'd be just as amazing without the new controls, so it doesn't fit this discussion).

Wii Sports: Incredibly easy to pick up and play, and does a great job of making it feel like your gestures are actually affecting the game. The closest anyone's ever come to virtual reality.

Excite Truck: Pure fun. The controls aren't quite like driving, but they do force you to involve yourself in the game, which is every bit as effective as emulating reality when in the context of a videogame.

Monkey Ball: The single-player controls translate well to the Wii environment, and most of the mini-games are really great, but some of them are just horrible. I would have rather they just left out the more unpolished ones. Frizbee Golf with the Wii controller is wonderous.

Red Steel: Something about the pointing system is a bit off. It seems like they should have maybe slowed the screen rotation when your cursor is on top of an enemy or something. Also, the zooming (which requires you to actually reach toward your television) is a bad idea implemented even worse. Overall though, it's a competent FPS using a unique (for now) control scheme. I wrote a review for Pelaaja in which I gave it a 6.0, but it got adjusted to a 5.0 when it looked like I liked the game better than most other people.

Trauma Center: I like it, but it's mostly the same exact game that came out last year on the DS. To make matters worse, with the speed increase given by instant tool selection, it never gets quite as involving as it did on the DS. The new (unlockable) missions are neat, but nothing too special.

Rayman: This game is the worst of the bunch and it's still not completely horrible. It's pretty much Track and Field for the Wii, but some of the games feel really imprecise and/or asinine. I expected to like the shooting part the best, but I actually ended up enjoying the simple music game the most. Definately not worth $50, but at $20 it might be nice.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
offer

I'll get back to you after I mention this to her.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b coma, super mario land avatar is win.

this is kind of off-topic, but when is the gamecube version of zelda coming out?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

SML<3

GC Zelda is due early December
GcDiaz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
offer

I'll get back to you after I mention this to her.

Wes, you can buy mine if she votes against.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
this is kind of off-topic, but when is the gamecube version of zelda coming out?

Supposedly it's going to be in the second week of December.

I'm guessing the 12th since games seem to like to arrive on Tuesdays.

I am anxiously awaiting this so I can play the Wii version at a friend's place and scream about how the sun rising in the west is a sign of the apocalypse.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excite Truck reminds me a LOT of Smashing Drive, a completely underrated "learn the course" style smashing arcade port of a racer. Especially when you grab the "Full Speed Ahead" powerup with the sirens etc... the feel of it is uncannily similar in places.

And I've been pimping for it else where, but I think Monkey Ball might be the biggest and best smorgasboard of what might be done with the controller... there are some pretty big misses but some awfully lovely hits... I never thought Lunar Lander could be that much fun, and I never thought of using an upright Wiimote as a flight stick.
player 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I'm going to make a judgment based off of 2 hours with Zelda on the Wii:

I like it on the Wii. I like how there are sounds coming out of my hand. But it's not as good as it should have been. The best part about it being on the Wii is how comfortable the Wii remote feels. But! It never succeds on a gestural level. You never get the feel that you're using the items. What I want to do is pick up an item and learn how they feel. It's just not happening, and it's making me kinda sad.

_Marcel Duchamp
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Hey guys!

I'm going to make a judgment based off of 2 hours with Zelda on the Wii:

I like it on the Wii. I like how there are sounds coming out of my hand. But it's not as good as it should have been. The best part about it being on the Wii is how comfortable the Wii remote feels. But! It never succeds on a gestural level. You never get the feel that you're using the items. What I want to do is pick up an item and learn how they feel. It's just not happening, and it's making me kinda sad.

Well, sure... but it's gonna be tough to pull that off without....I dunno, tractor beam technology? Maybe some true wizard with gyroscopes?

My beef is kind of with games like Wii Sports boxing... it does an ok job of reading the positions, but it kind of...rounds off my movements into individual and specific types of punches. I kind of long for use of a true spatial mapping.
player 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew what kind of data is transmitted from the Wii remote to the console. Do they project spatial coordinates or something?

_Marcel Duchamp
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
excite truck is pretty much the only wii game i'm interested in right now, if that means anything.

Dessgeega, tell me you have managed to play Excitebike 64 by now in some form or other.

And, hey, everybody: Zelda is really, really, really good, and the controller has little to do with that.
grumbel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
I wish I knew what kind of data is transmitted from the Wii remote to the console. Do they project spatial coordinates or something?

The Wii Remote has two sensors, one is simply a IR camera which films the IR-LEDs in the sensorbar, the other is an accelerometer. Judging from the sensitivity menu on the Wii the picture of the IR camera is transmitted to the Wii instead of being directly evaluated in the Wiimote itself like in an optical mice. The IR camera pictures are evaluated to calculate the distance from the sensorbar (~1cm accuracy) and the position where you are pointing at with the Wiimote. The accelerometer on the other side simply measures the acceleration of the Wiimote in all three directions (x,y,z), with the help of gravity the accelerometer can also be used to calculate the tilt of the Wii Remote.

You don't get any spatial coordinates from the Wii Remote except the distance from the sensorbar, so mapping Wii Remote actions directly into the game is only possible to a very limited degree. Judging from the games so far there are basically four ways to use it:

- use it to control a mouse-like cursor (sensorbar, seen in all menus)
- use the tilt information as an analogstick-like thing (accelerometer, seen in Excite Truck
- gesture detection (see http://www.ailive.net/)
- pseudo 1:1 mapping (i.e. use accelerometer data to create an in-game action that is close to the real one, seen in Wii Sports)

One can of course also combine most of the above.

The problem I see with the Wii is that the lack of spatial coordinates might limit a lot to how far a control schemes can go. With spatial coordinates one could for example have a first person game where the Wii Remote basically becomes the game characters hand and every action would be mapped 1:1 from Wii Remote into the game, without spatial coordinates that however wouldn't be possible and one would need to fall back to more simple schemes, i.e. in Elebits you can grab objects by point at them, just like with a mouse, but as soon as you have grabbed them you can throw them around with your Wii Remote in a 'realistic' manner (havn't played the game, judging from gameplay videos). Elebits so far is probably one of the most interesting uses of Wii Remote, since it doesn't fall back to gesture recognition, but instead tries to make real actions map to game actions as close as possible.

PS: Since the Wii Remote uses Bluetooth it should be possible to attach it to a PC and see directly what exact data it sense on how precise it is, not sure if anybody has actually tried that yet.
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumbel wrote:
Elebits so far is probably one of the most interesting uses of Wii Remote, since it doesn't fall back to gesture recognition, but instead tries to make real actions map to game actions as close as possible.

This is the kind of thing I'm interested in seeing. I'd like to see a game that maps your movements in the game and then reads those mappings as gestures (as opposed to moving directly from remote input to gesture mapping). It'd be interesting to see a game that read how close your movements were to an ideal movement.

_Marcel Duchamp
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on the Trespasser port for Wii?
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I really hate ragging on Zelda because I'm positive it's a great experience, but in my short experience I had two major problems:

1) The Wii gestures feel like an afterthought. They don't enhance the gameplay that much and make it ultimately make it feel...artificial.

2) The fucking HUD. It's ugly. It's fucking ugly. The grey buttons on the screen look like crap and are out of place. They detract from the magical aversion to everything. They're too close to the center.

I donno. It's a bad example there, but it just looks sloppy. Like a 40-second photoshop.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those wii buttons are sneaking up on that darknut!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
1) The Wii gestures feel like an afterthought. They don't enhance the gameplay that much and make it ultimately make it feel...artificial.

I kind of like the nunchuck shake for the spin attack. It seems like an appropriate wiiification of the analog stick spin + sword swipe. The waggle for regular attack is a problem though. It seems like they just didn't have another button for it, so they had to do it. I was carrying a bottle of hot spring water for a goron fellow and twice accidentally threw and broke it because I moved suddenly and the remote registered it as an attack. It's not a big problem, but it's definitely the worst part of making the move to the wii.

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
2) The fucking HUD. It's ugly. It's fucking ugly. The grey buttons on the screen look like crap and are out of place. They detract from the magical aversion to everything. They're too close to the center.

I really like the graphics of the HUD, but they are definitely too close to the center. It is distracting, and there is plenty of room to scoot them closer to the edge.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
Lockeownzj00 wrote:

I kind of like the nunchuck shake for the spin attack. It seems like an appropriate wiiification of the analog stick spin + sword swipe. The waggle for regular attack is a problem though.

Dude, there's another awesome thing for the nunchuck too, but you have to learn that. Otherwise I agree, I never got use to waggle=sword, or the absense of camera controls. It doesn't break the game at least.

Lockeownzj00 wrote:

It's great, when you get the map for a dungeon you can hit the (1) button for the sub menu with the map to zoom in and change levels, and the (2) button to make the map leave the screen...

but if you hit the (2) button a fucking image of the two button replaces the map!

Anyways, I didn't notice the grey buttons as feeling ... bad, but the D-pad makes sense. The B button did too. The A button on the other hand, shouldn't have been there. That said, in widesceen it's more forgivable.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD Gundam Scad Hammers looks interesting, but I'm guessing a great part of that is Gundam fanboyism, a disease classified as incurable by the CDC.

The Wiimote seems to control the giant mace your Gundam carries, while the nunchuk controls your robot. So it turns into a crazy version of Gauntlet or Smash TV where you're twirling around a giant mace. I hope that I'm not the only one who gets excited by that description.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't IC people saying it was the best Wii game of E3?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilight Princess's HUD is a vast improvement on Wind Waker, Ocarina and Majora's HUD, which is like trying to play a gameboy game with a bunch of M+Ms glued to the screen, so stop complaining.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/Zelda_Wind_Waker_explosion.jpg

Colorful controller...colorful game. Everything matches, really. It's also placed carefully.

See TP image above. My main beef with it is simply that the HUD buttons feel metallic, which is pretty much the opposite of the feel of the rest of the game. It also looks like they just took the default black-to-white gradiet in Photoshop and then lowered the opacity a smidgen. It's like putting Comic Sans MS in a game, or something--it just stands out and looks out of place, and ultimately unprofessional.

Doesn't really make or break the game as much as the "Red Steel arm" would, but it's still a bitch.
B coma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Any word on the Trespasser port for Wii?

I'M THERE.
dmauro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Dude, there's another awesome thing for the nunchuck too, but you have to learn that. Otherwise I agree, I never got use to waggle=sword, or the absense of camera controls. It doesn't break the game at least.

Yeah I learned that one, which I also like. The camera controls I haven't even noticed let alone had them be a problem. Maybe I'm just used to Z centering as I did in OoT and MM if I need to change my view at all.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
SD Gundam Scad Hammers looks interesting, but I'm guessing a great part of that is Gundam fanboyism, a disease classified as incurable by the CDC.

I remember Shapes talking about that one. He made it sound really good, but I haven't heard anything about it from anyone else.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention: Madden Wii is pretty fucking awesome. Now I'm off to try some Tony Hawk.

_Marcel Duchamp
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I kindof like Red Steel a lot, and would be happy to explain why it's worth checking out if anyone's interested. The general consensus seems to treat it like an abomination that should have never been made, though, so...
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to hear about the game. a wii fps is a really good idea.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, would like to hear about this game. I was going to get it regardless of bad reviews, simply because I want to play a FPS on the wii. This is the only option until Mario Paintball comes out.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, Red Steel is an extremely fun title mired down--and only slightly--by a few technical problems, that only really detract from the game if you let them.

The main thing I love about the game, I suppose, is the attention to detail. The game world is absolutely amazing, not only the way it looks, but its interactivity as well. See, you can shoot most anything, and it reacts: security monitors shatter, radios spark, trucks explode. You eventually get bored destroying every inanimate object, and may even think, "Why the hell did the developers put all this crap in here? I'm out of ammo!" But it's all a trick. See, by being able to destroy so many minor set pieces at will, you won't bat an eye during, say, one of the earlier gun battles in a restaraunt kitchen, where your missed shots are knocking copper cooking pans off the wall, shattering stacked dishes, and causing the propane cooking stove (on the second playthrough, you actually notice the blue pilot flames) to erupt in a huge fireball and trigger the sprinkler system. You keep fighting in a smoky room with water pouring down on you. The developers completely sidestepped the typical FPS convention of 'exploding red barrels' by allowing you to destroy almost anything; the world is made more believable by the addition of all these little set pieces so that you just take it for granted that the parked freight truck will explode after you shoot it enough, and you smile with satisfaction when it does. I apologize if that doesn't make complete sense; it's something you have to really experience to believe it.

It's obvious the developers wanted to replicate an action movie (hell, there's a lobby scene straight out of the Matrix complete with shattering faux-stone panels and showers of dust from the ceiling when you hit pillars) and the dialogue reflects this in the campiest way possible. Common enemies' forgettable and often confusing shouts aside (They kidnap my girlfriend, kill her father, shoot and leave me for dead, and then call me a murderer??), the dialogue is just absolutely hilarious, and I refuse to believe it was anything other than intentional. Despite the game being set in Japan, it's obvious there wasn't a single damned native Japanese speaker on the voice cast; I imagine the whole thing is manned by a bunch of white honkeys whose only concept of spoken Japanese was taken from poorly dubbed 70's martial arts films. And yet, it fits with the game--this is seriously a 70's martial arts action game.

So, controls. The Wiimote takes a bit of time to get used to, even if you are familiar with PC FPS controls, but if you give yourself at least an hour to get acclimated, it becomes second nature. People complain about the extensive move lists, but really, there are very few moves that aren't ridiculously intuitive analogs of real human movement. Let's see: to flip over a table to use for cover... why, I swing the nunchuck (okay, whoever named that thing really needs to die) up, like I were upending a real table! And for grenades, I hold down on the control pad (alright, I admit that's a bit of a stretch) and either swing the nunchuck overhand to lob or give it an underhand flick to roll the grenades! Seriously, as long as you have even the slightest amount of imagination, the controls are a cinch. The Wiimote makes for great FPS gaming as a replacement to the mouse, and the nunchuck is a handy replacement for WASD once you get used to it.

The 'freeze time' feature I've heard ridiculed quite often is not at all as horrible as it sounds. You don't gain the ability until you're about a quarter of the way into the game, and then it still manages to avoid being cheap--it takes a while to fill up the 'freeze time' meter or whatever it's called, and once you do it's more fun to shoot the guns out of the enemies' hands then to try and kill them all at once. Shooting the guns introduces a fun little concept in that you have to keep the enemies covered until they surrender to you; ignore one and he'll just pick the gun right back up and start blazing away. Apparently if you force the leader of a group to surrender, he tells the rest of your opponents to do so as well; I've only had this happen twice because the little bastards keep shooting at me as I'm trying to cover their boss.

Okay, the swordplay. Straight up, it's nothing that will leave you in awe. But it's still not as horrible as the reviews make it out to be. You learn pretty fast that the trick is in a lot of exaggerated motions, sortof on the same level as all the games in Wii Sports. Yes, it's not a 1:1 representation of your real motion (which, to my knowledge, the game never promised) but it is quite passable and can even be pretty fun in the heat of the later battles when you've figured out how it works and earned some of the tricks. It certainly could have been done BETTER, yes, but if you're willing to give it an honest shot, you'll find that it's at least solid, if not masterfully executed.

So I hope this has been even slightly helpful; I get the feeling that I may have just been babbling. The important thing about Red Steel, I suppose, is to let it be what it is--it's not Half-Life 2 or even Doom 3 in terms of innovation, voice acting, or anything like that. But then again it's not trying to be, and is a good deal of fun if you approach it on its own terms.
Tim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above post!

Pointing and shooting is fun and feels natural...when you don't have to move around a lot. Basically, turning is the only thing I have a gripe with. Sometimes the cursor will get stuck to one side of the screen and I have to waggle the remote to prevent myself from turning indefinitely. I'm sure it's just the game's programming, and not a fault of the Wii. Aiming in Zelda is really responsive, so I'm looking forward to future first-person games in which the control is completely figured out and done right.

Still, once you get used to how the controls work, it's no longer an issue.

I still have a lot of fun shooting in this game, and this is ultimately the type of FPS I've always wanted; one with lightgun-style controls AND free mobility. I'm looking forward to more FPS's on this system.

Has anyone played Call of Duty 3 for the Wii?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the commercial for Call of Duty 3 at work last night and it involves someone using the Wii-mote/nunchaku combo to smash a rifle in a guys face. It looked pretty cool.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you guys, let's start a Wii Review thread?

_Marcel Duchamp
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
TOLLMASTER wrote:

I remember Shapes talking about that one. He made it sound really good, but I haven't heard anything about it from anyone else.

This is, in fact, my currently most anticipated Wii game. You move the SD robot with the analog stick, and swing the mace (or any other thing you stick on the end of the chain) at the enemies.

While playing Twilight Princess your swinging the wii mote just replaces the function of a button press. In SD Gundam your swing accurately represents speed/distance/movement type. It was fantastically fun to play, and I tried to force as many people to play it at E3 as possible (which I think only Toups did, and he really enjoyed it as well).

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Basically, Red Steel is an extremely fun title mired down--and only slightly--by a few technical problems, that only really detract from the game if you let them.

Okay, the swordplay. Straight up, it's nothing that will leave you in awe. But it's still not as horrible as the reviews make it out to be. You learn pretty fast that the trick is in a lot of exaggerated motions, sortof on the same level as all the games in Wii Sports. Yes, it's not a 1:1 representation of your real motion (which, to my knowledge, the game never promised) but it is quite passable and can even be pretty fun in the heat of the later battles when you've figured out how it works and earned some of the tricks. It certainly could have been done BETTER, yes, but if you're willing to give it an honest shot, you'll find that it's at least solid, if not masterfully executed.

Ok, this game is only entertaining because nothing else does it. You can fool yourself all you want but as soon as any other game does either element slightly better Red Steel will be obsolete.

My main problem with the sword fighting is not that it isn’t 1:1, but that it doesn’t properly represent your sword swinging most of the time (if at all). If you do a swing from right to left and it’s 10^ up from center it will still be centered. I understand that 1:1 (while possible) isn’t really a good idea. It’s done poorly in basically the lowest way it could be.

Also, you fail to mention that the dialogue is borderline offensive due to stereotyping. Also, lol rubber arm man. Anyways, it feels like it was put together by good intentions and poor execution. The most entertaining part of the game is the Amusment Park after the Pachinko hall. Its really, really good and shows that the game could have been many times better, yet unfortunately only one hour of a 15 hour (or so) game is worthy of an average score where everything else is sub-par.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Ok, this game is only entertaining because nothing else does it. You can fool yourself all you want but as soon as any other game does either element slightly better Red Steel will be obsolete.

Eh! There's absolutely no fooling going on here; I honestly enjoy the title for what it is. It's not going to be obsolete when Far Cry or Metroid Prime or any other FPS comes out because I'm liking the general experience, TGQ-style!

The sword fighting... I'm not sure what else to say. It's flawed, sure, but I hesitate to use the term 'broken' because the game is still quite playable. If anything, it forces the player to adapt to its limitiations, like the Grafitti writing system on PalmOS handhelds. It could be argued that, given such an interface (and Wii Sports) user acclimatization of that sort is unnessicary and a result of poor design, and I might even agree a little bit, but I'm not nearly jaded enough to dismiss the game on these grounds alone. I mean, heck, I didn't expect the Wiimote to work nearly as well as it does for any function, period, so I'm feeling pretty magnanimous if developers haven't entirely got the nuts and bolts of this new technology down yet.

Quote:
Also, you fail to mention that the dialogue is borderline offensive due to stereotyping. Also, lol rubber arm man. Anyways, it feels like it was put together by good intentions and poor execution. The most entertaining part of the game is the Amusment Park after the Pachinko hall. Its really, really good and shows that the game could have been many times better, yet unfortunately only one hour of a 15 hour (or so) game is worthy of an average score where everything else is sub-par.

Stereotyping? Are you just referring to the horrible fake accents in the dialogue, or was there something I missed? I mean, yeah, it was pretty questionable a good amount of the time, but I just figured that was some over-the-top riffing on the awful dubbed accents from Asian action films of yesteryear (decade?).

Yeah, the rubber arm thing is odd--apparently in real life I would hold a handgun with my wrist bent outward and twisted slightly to my right. But still, it was a decided non-issue for me. I thought 'huh, that's funky' and let it go at that--like I said, I'm not expecting Half-Life 2, and the arm doesn't seem to affect the gameplay. And really--someone was calling for a Wii remake of Trespasser, and you're complaining about Red Steel's arm?!

And the amusement park really freaked me the hell out. The Yakuza boss's voice--free of that horrible psuedo-accent--really sounded like a man completely unhinged.
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of Red Steel, for most of the reasons mentioned earlier.

People need to get off the "rubber arm" thing. How is it game-breaking, in any way?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the review I wrote of Red Steel for an unmentionable magazine:

Red Steel Review wrote:
Red Steel – 6/10

According to reports, Red Steel was created specifically because Nintendo approached UbiSoft and asked them to make a first person shooter for their upcoming motion-controlled system. This is significant because it illustrates how Red Steel’s design was prompted not by a great designer’s superb idea, but by the need to fill a niche that was missing from Nintendo’s launch lineup, and the results are pretty much what you’d expect - it’s an average game made much more appealing by the fact that it’s the first FPS to use motion sensing controls.

It’s clear that Red Steel was built on a pre-existing template of what came before it. The game it most closely resembles is GoldenEye, but there’s also a bit of Halo (holding only two weapons and auto-regenerating shields), and even some Time Crisis (tapping crouch to hide behind objects before popping up to attack). The mix works well, but there’s a noticeable lack of new ideas. The much-touted swordplay feels more like a forced mini-game than an actual in-game element. Every swordfight is a scripted event, and victory is decided by knowing when to dodge and parry rather than where and how to strike. This is fun in its own way, but those looking for full-fledged swordplay will be disappointed.

So if the main draw is the controls, they’ve got to be good, right? Well, yes and no. They work well if you keep your pointer within the boundaries of the screen, but if you get too excited and move your hand too far to the left or right, the cursor flips out and you’ll find your character spinning around in circles. If you’ve ever watched someone who’s not used to playing FPS games try to play one, that’s pretty close to how you’ll look the first time you play Red Steel. It doesn’t help that some of the controls are just plain broken, with the zoom feature being the worst offender. To zoom in on something, you hold the A button down, then move the controller forward to zoom in on that object. This sounds great on paper, but around half the time it doesn’t work at all, and when it does, extending your arm to its full length just to zoom in is more of an annoyance than anything else. Most of the game can be played without zooming, but it’s disappointing that what could have been a useful technique is made near-impossible because of imprecision.

The problem with the zoom control is just one of several minor bugs. The game’s graphics are decent – there are a few nice effects; nothing earth shattering – but you’ll notice odd things here and there that mar the experience in minor ways. Occasionally you’ll notice odd clipping issues, such as seeing opponent’s arms through closed doors, enemies walking through scenery, and even the infrequent floating bad guy. None of these problems are really bad when taken by themselves, but put together there’s a rushed feeling to the whole production. I guess it’s to be expected with a launch title, but it needs to be mentioned.

Despite its problems, I’ll have to admit that I like Red Steel a lot more than I probably should. The game itself is average in every imaginable way, but learning to play it with a Wii controller somehow makes it enjoyable. This probably says more about the system itself than the game, and I’m sure it won’t take long for someone to come along and trump it, but for now – taken solely as a motion-controlled FPS – Red Steel is as good as it gets.

Also, even though I really want to get my Niece a GameCube, apparently my sister isn't down with the whole pad and buttons style of gameplay for her daughters so I have to renig on my offer of GameCube purchasing. I'm pretty sad, but it sounds like she might be willing to get a Wii for them since it's "more active." Now I've just gotta track one down!

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: