The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

if you think rule of rose is a good game . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: if you think rule of rose is a good game . . . Reply with quote

. . . you're probably just getting off on orphan girls being cruel to each other.

i've been playing our review copy and i'm not convinced this game has anything that redeems the tediousness and frustration of its gameplay. sure, the game manages to illuminate the role of sadism and submission in the game/player relationship, which is something i'm trying to incorporate in a game i've been working on - but that's why i realize it could be done so much better.

but what if the frustrating combat and near-black screens and utterly confounding navigation are the point, you say! at which point i sock you in the kisser. at least killer7 had the good sense to be on rails. (this is not a killer7 thread.)

sneak preview of my article on rule of rose: it's going to begin with a retelling of the "aristocrats" joke.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it also contain horrible supernatural beasties which take away from the whole de Sade-like torture and humiliation psychological aspects that the game seemed to be going for in the early trailers?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes oh my goddess they do. these things show up and you're expected to fight them apparently just because it's a videogame. usually you want to run past them, but sometimes the doors lock - like zelda! - and you're forced to fight them! and then there's that scene on top of the staircase where you have to run through a gauntlet of enemies with extremely long reaches and you die and then you have to repeat the entire chapter which is incredibly tedious because it's a puzzle-adventure game and you're not learning anything new or doing anything you havn't done before!

also it's kind of hilarious that the other children beat up on jennifer as though she can't fight back but then outside of cutscenes you're lugging around this giant lead pipe that you have equipped as a weapon. jennifer willingly submits most of the time so it's not really parodoxical, but it's still kind of absurd.

Last edited by dessgeega on Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sounding more and more like a standard-fare survival-horror stuck in genre staples instead of overthrowing them.

Should I be giving Clock Tower a go instead or something?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clock tower's actually scary.

that's another thing. i'm kind of hesitant to identify this game as "survival horror" or whatnot - admittedly a genre i'm not very experienced with or knowledgable of - because it's not scary at all. and interestingly i'm not really compelled to identify with the protagonist in any way. maybe some of it is because the camera is always looking down on her from above - maybe the player is supposed to be yet another dominant figure in poor unlucky jennifer's life! maybe the game was just created for voyeurs!
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly like the music.

Also it's not so much that the bad control is the point so much as it's the fact that it's a survival horror game so that stuff kind of doesn't matter. I mean particularly in this case, because, you know, her attack animation shows her covering her face in fear and just kind of blindly stabbing, so it would make sense that she barely ever hits anything.

And anyway, 90% of the time you don't need to fight anything and it's easier to just run away.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Should I be giving Clock Tower a go instead or something?

Not Clock Tower 3!

Also, I never got much further than where you get the dog in the Chinese version. From what I have read it seems like it is shortly after that point where the game loses it. That's sad.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Also it's not so much that the bad control is the point so much as it's the fact that it's a survival horror game so that stuff kind of doesn't matter. I mean particularly in this case, because, you know, her attack animation shows her covering her face in fear and just kind of blindly stabbing, so it would make sense that she barely ever hits anything.

the point or not, it's still bad. sorry! if i'm supposed to be running away from enemies, don't lock me in a room and make me fight them! the boss fights in this game are unforgivable. especially after you die because they hit you even though you're nowhere near them, and then you have to replay the whole chapter because there's no save point anywhere near them.

did i mention you can't skip cutscenes or dialogue, even the second time you've seen them? or the third?

yeah, the only time this game approached good was right after i got brown (the dog). before that you just run along walls, pumping the X (sigh) button hoping to find a door you can't see that's actually unlocked. then you get brown and suddenly all those enormous, confusing spaces become meaningful! blind groping - which you've been doing up until this point - gets you nowhere, so you need to use brown's powers of scent to lead you. you need to make connections between objects. it feels almost like detective work!

and then it stops being interesting. almost immediately the game turns into "talk to random character, take item character drops, use find ability on item, follow brown to next encounter, repeat". repeat ad nauseum.

what is interesting is that the first thing jennifer does after freeing brown (from a ridiculous puppy bondage scene) is put a collar on him. so one character obeys jennifer, while she obeys pretty much everyone else. she becomes almost completely dependent on brown, however.

and the only time the music sounds good, i'm pretty sure, is in the "bird of happiness" chapter. the rest of the time it sounds like someone's trying to eat a violin. "it's a scary game! play that violin faster, dammit! faster!"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for clarification, yes, i know it makes sense that jennifer's not a very good fighter. why would she be? but why is there combat in this game at all? the enemies make no sense, nor the bosses. they seem thrown in CUZ IT'S A SURVIVAL HORROR GAME AND THAT'S WHAT YOU DO FIGHT ENEMIES WITH SHITTY CONTROLS. i'm sorry, that doesn't fly with me.

and yes it matters when i have to replay an hour's worth of game that requires no skill because of your intentionally(?) crippled combat mechanics (that add nothing to the game and make no sense within its context).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hell, if I get back on this game can we write dueling articles? When's the next deadline?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this game has some precious load times, lemme tell ya.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like what I've played of it anyway.

I think we can agree that it's not universally recommendable, if nothing else.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would probably only recommend it to people who like to watch schoolgirls punish each other.

actually, i probably wouldn't.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A compilation of cut-scenes from Rule of Rose was shown at the Annecy Animation festival before any of us knew what Rule of Rose was, and it was pretty impressive in a creepy/sexy/wrong way. Maybe the answer is to get that compilation, watch it whenever you feel the need* and chuck the game away.

dessgeega wrote:
the only time the music sounds good, i'm pretty sure, is in the "bird of happiness" chapter. the rest of the time it sounds like someone's trying to eat a violin.

This made me do a laugh.

*for inspiration
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i would probably only recommend it to people who like to watch schoolgirls punish each other.

Hot damn, need to bust out my copy as soon as I...

dessgeega wrote:
actually, i probably wouldn't.

...oh.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
And anyway, 90% of the time you don't need to fight anything and it's easier to just run away.

since i'm nearly done with the game i can now call bullshit on this. it's 50% at most, and "the funeral" chapter more than makes up for any times you're allowed to run past enemies.

the funeral is the most agonizing, frustrating and poorly-thought-out thing i've had inflicted on me by a commercial game in a long time. i really want whoever thought it up to never be allowed to work on videogames again. that sounds mean, but please don't judge until you've completed the funeral.

this is an ineptly made game.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also sounds pretentious.

I bet it doesn't even deliver on the Lord of the Flies children cruelty front.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's like an anti-Devil May Cry.

In the cutscenes, Dante can get stabbed through the heart with a scythe and walk around with it dragging a body across the floor, with Dante later pulling it out to no blood and throwing it effortlessly, but he can barely get bumped by those same blades a few times before dying when in-game.

So our precious schoolgirl can clobber demons with pipes but can't stop little girls? Maybe at the end there is going to be some METAPHYSICAL REVELATION about the demons being an extension of the fear in her own mind or something something and then there will be a blogger who writes an "expose" and there will be flamewars.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i finished the game. via the "real" ending, yes (zomg spoilers).

does the story make any sense? i havn't decided yet, but my answer is probably "no". i feel like the game design staff was provided a checklist of "things survival horror game must have" while the art staff was given a stack of the director's schoolgirl fantasies (hastily scrawled on paper bearing unexplained stains).

now they expect me to replay it, of course. to hunt for film cans that will let me watch the game's cutscenes of jennifer being hurt and humiliated whenever i want. in the cell of pleasure no less. oh, and costumes to dress her up in! OH MY GODDESS.

speaking of movies, there are some scenes that play during the opening "trailer" - like someone's bare foot smothering jennifer's face - that didn't appear during the game. so i have to assume those scenes were rendered for the director's own pleasure!

"save your game?" it asked me. no thanks! i'm going to spend the next week trying to wash this game off me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
but why is there combat in this game at all?

We need more "interactive entertainment" and less "games".
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Shot II Turbo wrote:

We need more "interactive entertainment" and less "games".

That is want I want to see too, games that take interactivity and weld it into the plot and heart of the experience, superbly detailed games that seem to react to everything that you can do. Not in terms of providing huge amounts of "freedom" (like Deus Ex) instead being like the old Infocom games, where even silly commands would get a "snarky response". I'd like to see games where there are lots of actions that help to develop character / backstory. I know that it is possible, think about the huge number of secrets and situational comments in Metal Gear Solid 2. Now imagine that instead of jokes these were ways of developing (the protagonist / antagonists/ the consistency of the game-world / adding verisimilitude to the experience).

P.s Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy is quite interesting because in some cases it replaces the beasties with QTE situations, which are hallucinatory in nature. I'd like to see games where the idea was to remain calm and ignore the enemies to make them disappear, rather than fight them.

edit:
the Milkman Conspiracy is a good example of horror gaming, as it deals with the internal workings of madman. I didn't find it funny, I found it sad and disturbing.
Likewise, I found Shadow of Destiny to be a good survival horror game without fighting (you had to solve puzzles before someone kills you at a specific time).
Also
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ketch"]
Quick Shot II Turbo wrote:

I'd like to see games where there are lots of actions that help to develop character / backstory. I know that it is possible, think about the huge number of secrets and situational comments in Metal Gear Solid 2. Now imagine that instead of jokes these were ways of developing (the protagonist / antagonists/ the consistency of the game-world / adding verisimilitude to the experience).

I have an idea for a very simple game, called Animal Cakeshop, which I envision being something along these lines. I don't have the time or inclination (or programming skill) to actually do it, though. Maybe we should develop it as a group project!
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always write a design doc or short summary and see if anyone bites.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further go on about Interactive Entertainment, issue #2's Pokemon article talks about how Gold and Silver added context to the gameworld, showing how the features such as the clock (and how it affected creatures) made the 'world' come alive. This is what (I) want to see in this new type adventure.

Back to the topic at hand, if you like orphans experiencing hardships you should read A Series of Unfotunate Events, (or just watch the film).
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, it had a pretty good Thomas Newman score. He's becoming one of my favorites, especially for his work on Road to Perdition.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: if you think rule of rose is a good game . . . Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
. . . you're probably just getting off on orphan girls being cruel to each other.

And that's a bad thing?

I've noticed that its the one game, aside from Katamari and Animal Crossing, that all my female friends are dying to play, including my girlfriend.

Also, I tried giving Clock Tower 3 a shot, mainly because of the game's director, but I just got so bored of it all.

I also really enjoyed Haunted Grounds, which I have been told is sorta like Rule of Rose.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: if you think rule of rose is a good game . . . Reply with quote

[quote="FortNinety"]
dessgeega wrote:
Also, I tried giving Clock Tower 3 a shot, mainly because of the game's director, but I just got so bored of it all.

CT3 is pretty terrible, seriously.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I remember people raving about it.

I still want to try the first two since I find the idea of a cray person with huge scissors cutting people's heads off pretty funny.

Was he in part 3? Never played enough to find out.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly it was a small person with really big scissors, and yet the game is actually quite scary.

Then again, I only played the SNES version of CT1, and that was only for 2 hours or so.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played clock tower, the original, a little bit. it's an adventure game where half of the examinable objects are booby-trapped. like maybe you'll examine a television set and a giant monster hand will leap out and go BOOGEDY BOOGEDY BOOGEDY. minus 10 health points! the scissors guy is kind of scary though.

some of the enemies in rule of rose wield giant scissors. homage? or just another box on the checklist?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Clocktower 1 for the PSX, it's pretty scary stuff. The scissorman appears at random points and it's very tense when trying to escape and hide from him. The sound of him clanging those scissors is horrifying, especially when you don't know where it's coming from.

The actual adventure elements pretty much blow, though. The way you get different endings is very arbitrary. I originally thought it would be cool if it had proper adventure conventions but then I played 5 days a stranger and thought, hey, maybe not.

i originally wrote cocktower by mistake, lol!!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

Heh, that could have silly consequences, especially with the scissorman.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Cycle wrote:

Heh, that could have silly consequences, especially with the scissorman.

Fun fact: for one reason or another, long dungeons in Makai Kingdom can get buggy if there are too many units on the map at once. One of the consequences of this is that your facilities can sometimes lose their second letter of their name.

So yeah, you have to be careful to not end up with a Cock Tower. Besides, you should either be using a School, Hospital or Fortress anyway Smile
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to make a Rule of Rose art book so I can JO to it on the john.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude it's j/o not JO what backwater corner of the internet do you come from anyway.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stereolabrat says JO so I just copy her.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: