The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NaNoWriMo 2006
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: NaNoWriMo 2006 Reply with quote

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

I know that last year Mr. Mechanical attempted to do NaNo (I think he even finished), and I was just wondering if anyone else was going to attempt it this year? I may give it a whirl, but I don’t know what my chances of finishing are.

I am mainly putting this out there because I usually don’t hear about NaNo until after it has started. In case you don’t know it starts on Nov 1st at 12:00 am, this is when you start writing. The goal is fifty thousand words by November 31st midnight.

I have not yet participated in one of these, but have been meaning to for the past three years. I hope to this time. I am going to start putting down ideas soon (hopefully) on some kind of plot, or perhaps even just a list of character names so that I don’t have to track down that kind of stuff later. You can begin notes and structure things before the date of Nov 1, but you can’t start writing until then.

Also, you can’t really “win” although if you complete the task you are declared a “winner”

I hope at least someone else attempts this so that I can have someone to compete with (in a friendly and encouraging manner anyways). I suppose we could use this thread for that purpose as well when the time comes.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to do it, too, but my writing isn't so good. Does anyone have any writing tips?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

write 50k words in a month?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Does anyone have any writing tips?

Have a list of things ready to go. Like character names, car names, tree names, food names, restraunt names. This was highly important for me the last time I tried to "write" anything of this scope (though that was many years ago and only about 30K words). Then when ever you hit a sticking point you can just flip to a list and you have an instant idea.

Also, "bad writing" doesn't reall matter with this. I mean, you are just supposed to churn out the words in an attempt to reach the word limit, not edit it as well. Like, a really rough draft.

Also, just force yourself to keep typing at points. Stream of thought shit that makes no sense. Like what the character is thinking, they may end up becoming more interesting for it.

And one last thing: I am going to use WordPad, or NotePad, not a program that has an automatic correcting item in it (like how Word will have underlines for improper sentences). It will allow you to keep going without worrying about all that stuff. If you really want you can go back in Dec (national novel finishing month) and edit it to death.

If anyone is signed up and wants to add me as their "writing buddy" my screen name is (shockingly) Shapermc

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the risk of seeming rude, can i ask what the point of this is? why not just fiddle with one's livejournal?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
at the risk of seeming rude, can i ask what the point of this is? why not just fiddle with one's livejournal?

From the FAQ:

Quote:
Why are you doing this? What do you get out of it?
NaNoWriMo is all about the magical power of deadlines. Give someone a goal and a goal-minded community and miracles are bound to happen. Pies will be eaten at amazing rates. Alfalfa will be harvested like never before. And novels will be written in a month.

Part of the reason we organize NaNoWriMo is just to get a book written. We love the fringe benefits accrued to novelists. For one month out of the year, we can stew and storm, and make a huge mess of our apartments and drink lots of coffee at odd hours. And we can do all of these things loudly, in front of people. As satisfying as it is to reach deep within yourself and pull out an unexpectedly passable work of art, it is equally (if not more) satisfying to be able to dramatize the process at social gatherings.

But that artsy drama window is woefully short. The other reason we do NaNoWriMo is because the glow from making big, messy art, and watching others make big, messy art, lasts for a long, long time. The act of sustained creation does bizarre, wonderful things to you. It changes the way you read. And changes, a little bit, your sense of self. We like that.

Quote:
Can anyone participate in NaNoWriMo?
No. People who take their writing (and themselves) very seriously should probably go elsewhere. Everyone else, though, is warmly welcomed.

In short, there isn't a point, and this isn't really livejournal. Live Journal (while it can be used for this) is meant for other people to read. I see this more as something to do for yourself and a challenge to overcome.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the month after is NaViGaWriMo, as invented by IC's lovable professor_scissors!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm game for it, Shaper! Actually, this will be my third year of participating, and I really hope to actually finish this time. The past two years, I was hampered by a total lack of outlining or plotting--I had the first three days' planned out fairly well, but had no idea where to take things from there. I also didn't really have a means of working on it away from home, so my writing time was restricted to after class/work when I least wanted to do anything productive. Not this year, though! I've fully outlined the plot, and I've got one of those nifty folding keyboards for my Palm to use during quiet nights at work! I'm winning it this year, baby!

And yeah, if anyone else is thinking about doing this, Shaper's comment about bad writing is totally on the mark; even on the website, they frequently state that the focus is quantity over quality.

I'm looking forward to it!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you registered on the site yet? What's your name there?

helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
And one last thing: I am going to use WordPad, or NotePad, not a program that has an automatic correcting item in it (like how Word will have underlines for improper sentences).

This feature in Word annoys the bejeezus out of me, but it isn't hard at all to turn off. In fact, I was universally reviled by my 27-person house because we all wrote 10 or so papers at the house computer cluster and I turned off the auto-correct and underline stuff every time. Apparently a lot of people like the feature?
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
And one last thing: I am going to use WordPad, or NotePad, not a program that has an automatic correcting item in it (like how Word will have underlines for improper sentences).

This feature in Word annoys the bejeezus out of me, but it isn't hard at all to turn off. In fact, I was universally reviled by my 27-person house because we all wrote 10 or so papers at the house computer cluster and I turned off the auto-correct and underline stuff every time. Apparently a lot of people like the feature?

A lot of people can't spell.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. I think instead I should just write a bunch of rambling essays and put them on the internet.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Are you registered on the site yet? What's your name there?

Registered as--what else--Greatsaintlouis. I just added you to my writing buddies--now my list doesn't look so lonely!

I need to update that two year-old picture, though.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be the third year I try this. The first year I only got about 4,000 words, the second about the same but what I wrote might make a decent short story if I ever actually finish it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i keep thinking national write a really good 4k word short story month would make more sense.
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if some of you people would make November "write a Gamer's Quarter article" month. We could call it WrAGaQuArMo, and create a website for it. Or we could just suggest it. So do it!

-Wes
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I finished mine last year. I still haven't gone back over it and edited it like I was planning to, now I think I've just moved on. This year I'll be plotting it out ahead of time, rather than coming up with things on the spot like I did last year. I was a bit surprised at how much the story "made sense" after it was all over with though, despite the fact that I introduced a few characters early on that I had planned to do something with and then promptly forgot about them.

I added Shaper and GSL to my buddies list as well.
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo, thanks! I've got a feeling that getting into active contact with other people working on this might help keep my motivation running strong this year.

I'm a bit disappointed that the NaNoWriMo website's buddy system doesn't notify you when you've been added as someone's buddy and rather requires you to utilize their search function in hopes that the people you know are using a username you'd remember. It's a good thing Mr. Mechanical goes by Mr. Mechanical on there!
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, heh, yes. Sorry about that.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, yeah. My wife and I decided on the spur of the moment yesterday that we would both do it. I'm trying to convince her to do NaViGaWriMo with me in December, as well, but I think the jury's still out on that.

I've gone and registered myself as SpindleyQ. Add me and validate my pathetic existence!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sushi d

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds like an awesome idea... but i dont think i can take the stress levels from writing. ;_;
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have totally updated my profile. Rock!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i keep thinking national write a really good 4k word short story month would make more sense.

I think the point is to force yourself to try to write more than just a short story, knowing that most people will only end up with a short story out of it. If they did "write a great 4k word short story month" most people would stop at about 100 words, and next year it would be "write a great 100 word manifesto".
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand that, but writing is not like training for a marathon.

but again, i may be a bit too harsh. the democratization of anything related to skill tends to be ugly, even if it produces interesting things.

i think write a great 100 word manifesto would be far more interesting - and difficult, and hence useful - than filling a page requirement.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i think write a great 100 word manifesto would be far more interesting - and difficult, and hence useful - than filling a page requirement.

I think it would be harder than a 4K short story, but easier than 50K novel.

ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex, I'll tell you this: I am pretty good at spending lots of time agonizing over a piece of writing and trying to make it perfect. I am really terrible at throwing together a shitty first draft.

50,000 words happens to be a reasonable amount of words to write in a month only if you're willing to totally throw perfectionism out the window. A month happens to be about the amount of time you have to keep at something before it becomes habit. If writing a novel helps me ditch my fear of words, well! That's worth a hell of a lot to me, really.
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I've gone and registered myself as SpindleyQ. Add me and validate my pathetic existence!

Done and done!

And everyone, don't get so caught up in NaNoWriMo that you forget that next month is also NaTurkEatMo as well!

(NaWiiLaunMo)?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i understand that, but writing is not like training for a marathon.

but again, i may be a bit too harsh. the democratization of anything related to skill tends to be ugly, even if it produces interesting things.

Well when i first heard of nanowrimo, it was explained to be specifically about quantity over quality. It was to train yourself to write longer things, since writing long form can be difficult for people who are used to writing short form.

Unless you're like me and can't write at all! *rimshot*
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the official site and they still have blowingupcasinos from last year. You can add me if you like.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Sushi d

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
If writing a novel helps me ditch my fear of words, well! That's worth a hell of a lot to me, really.

thats why i've been interested in doing this thing since last year.

i signed up in case i go through with it. "Sushi_D" is the title.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, everyone who's shared their WriMo username is added to my profile, and I'm currently sitting here with less than 10 minutes to go before November 1st. I've got a pot of tea ready, tape recorder for special music, and I'm raring to go! Good luck to everyone!
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to think I'll finish; I really doubt I will though.

It's a lot of dirty writing that would eat my time. and lord knows I won't feel that tremendous sense of accomplishment writing a terrible book. that's just not how I roll.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's part of the idea though, to write a terrible book.

Okay, not specifically terrible; it's more like they want you to write a first draft. It's fast, it's loose, and it's entirely the act of getting things down on paper (or computer, whatever). Once the month of November is over, it's not like your efforts go away--you'll ostensibly be left with a very rough first draft which you can later work into something much cleaner and more polished--or not, it's up to you.

Earlier this month, I read Stephen King's nonfiction On Writing; I disagree with some of the ideas he puts forth, but there was one part in particular that stuck with me. He talks about the process of beginning a novel, and states that the first draft should be rough, raw, and that no time should be taken for any sort of editing. You write it with the door closed, with no outside input and no revisions, and when you're finally finished you throw it in a desk drawer for at least three months and forget about it. After the time has elapsed you read it with fresh eyes, fix all of the glaring errors you may have overlooked in your initial writing, and start showing it off to people for suggestions, comments, etc. The whole NaNoWriMo thing really seems to me like a real condensed version of what King was talking about with the first draft, where our first responsibility is just to write the damn thing. I'm of the mind that terrible books can always be revised, but there's no hope whatsoever for unwritten ones.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already debating on withdrawing :(

I'm going to see how it goes, but this month is going to be really, really fucking busy.

a_plus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided last night that i'm going to do this.my girlfriend and I went to a local kickoff meetup last night with some people she met on the nanowrimo forums, so I tagged along, and now i'm really excited to do this! I read the first few chapters of the guy's book, "no plot? no problem!" so now i'm really ready to do this.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I'm already debating on withdrawing Sad

I'm going to see how it goes, but this month is going to be really, really fucking busy.

Yeah, same for me. I'm going to try to do it in my spare time, but I hold no hopes or delusions of thinking I'll actually finish it this time.

I haven't even gotten anything outlined or plotted out. Sad
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, come on! It doesn't work if you've convinced yourself on day one that you're going to fail.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the whole thing about it! This is supposed to be the project that you struggle with in addition to real life, the endeavor everyone will tell you to never quit your day job for! Stick with it, guys!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am going to see what I can do. If I can hit 5thousand words a day I'm good. But if I wane on that at all I'm screwed. I'm turning this into my own NaNoWriHaMo (half month). Go me!

Anyways, here's my profile page, and there is a small bit from my first chapter (something I ended up really liking). The damn website is exceptionally slow because of activity (I assume). Anyways, I haven't updated my word cound in a while, but I should be able to hit 5k words tonight no problem.

I don't have any idea where this story is going and it is borrowing far too heavily from real life things.

Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Man, come on! It doesn't work if you've convinced yourself on day one that you're going to fail.

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Yeah, that's the whole thing about it! This is supposed to be the project that you struggle with in addition to real life, the endeavor everyone will tell you to never quit your day job for! Stick with it, guys!

Yeah, okay I know. I'm just trying not to set myself up for disappointment. I hate setting goals I can't achieve.

I'm still doing this, just not with the same burning vigor I did last year. Because this year I have a lot more going on in my life with school and friends and family. I'm sorry but if it comes down to it, NaNoWriMo will have to suffer first.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I'm sorry but if it comes down to it, NaNoWriMo will have to suffer first.

That's my mantra. But I am currently setting myself up to be exceptionally busy this month.

OVERLOAD ON GREEN IN 5.....4....3...2..1.

I'm at just under 5k words for tonight. I'll update my word count in about a half hour.

I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.

EDIT: My genre just changed to a science fiction novel.

Yup, it happen.

Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sc-Fi, eh? I'll probably go with something science fiction-y too, as the story idea I've had brewing for a while calls for it. It's about a man in the near future who pays to have his sense of consciousness removed, and all that entails such an act. I don't know how far I'll get on that premise alone, but it seems interesting enough to me.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is only sci-fi on accident. I all of a sudden started talking about credits and how vehicles are rare/expensive technology that my character has as an extream luxury.

Before that my genre was "Other Genre" so... it's not all out sci-fi, just accidental sci-fi. I'll run with it a little though. It will allow me to kill some words from time to time.

Anyways, 5,134 words. I'm off for the night.

seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll join this silly endeavor, though hell if I'm enrolling in that vile Nanowrimo website. I'd much rather engage in a sporting contest with you fine fellows.

Though I don't know how I'm going to pull this off, because my new job is a bit more difficult and tiring than I first imagined. I am now a bookseller at Barnes and Noble. Despite the stress of running around all day and dealing with rude customers, it's a job that I really enjoy for the most part.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergei, I watched Spartak Moscow play yesterdy on the TV and thought of you.

It was the most impressive home crowd I've ever seen, even if they didn't fill that ridiculously huge stadium.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to give this a go. Surely a better way to spend my time than the ways I typically waste it these days.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am now a bookseller at Barnes and Noble.

are you working a store or in one of the corp offices in midtown?

also: employee discount?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the hell did you add that to you signature Sergei?

GSL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
I think I'll join this silly endeavor, though hell if I'm enrolling in that vile Nanowrimo website. I'd much rather engage in a sporting contest with you fine fellows.

After reading what you've sent me before, I'm gleefully looking forward to your efforts!

And speak of Barnes & Noble and employee discounts, you may want to check--when I worked for Gamestop, both companies were owned by the same megacorporation, so my employee discount extended to B&N stores as well. You may have the same thing going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: