The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GTA San Andreas: broad not deep?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: GTA San Andreas: broad not deep? Reply with quote

It seems to me that it is a game which is broad in the range of things it provides the player, but it doesn't get very deep in terms of strategy. The choices you make don't stack up on top of each other. Instead, they go alongside each other.

P.s before I get flamed, I am not saying that it isn't a "deep" game as it is certainly deeper than quite a lot of games in the way it allows you to approach missions with different tactics. But this is more a casE of tactics rather than deeper strategy.

DISCUSS
Legal Step

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main complaint was that they have to piecemeal give you every area, and there are no choices and consequences. It would be nice to stab one guy in the back in order to get back at the other, or just try to turn every block of every city into your gangs territory.

The variety is nice, but the depth is severely lacking.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped playing the game for the story after the gang turf war stuff ended. I agree with Legal Step about how you should be able to turn every city block into your gang's territory.

I think there's some depth in there (we even had a similar discussion about this in a thread around the beginning of the year, if I remember correctly), you just have to kind of make it yourself. GTA gives you this big open world, and, like the real world, reality is what you make it.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of like how "quanity is its own quality" I think the bredth of San Andreas becomes a kind of depth.

Some missions are constrained, but with a lot of them you get to select your general kind of arsenal, plus you can decide if your using cheat codes or eschewing them, and keeping your character as is, or bulking up his weapon skills, or otherwise using in game methods of increasing ability (there are a few missions where playing the fireman minigame enough to become fireproof yourself is a HUUUUUUGE help)
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GTA San Andreas: broad not deep? Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
It seems to me that it is a game which is broad in the range of things it provides the player, but it doesn't get very deep in terms of strategy. The choices you make don't stack up on top of each other. Instead, they go alongside each other.

P.s before I get flamed, I am not saying that it isn't a "deep" game as it is certainly deeper than quite a lot of games in the way it allows you to approach missions with different tactics. But this is more a casE of tactics rather than deeper strategy.

DISCUSS

I am taking issue with the wording of the this post and contributing nothing.drunkpost

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breadth vs. depth?

Well, OP sort of stated the obvious.

More change points would have been nice, including the possibility of guessing Smoke's game early on.

The way he ate chicken while others were in the car doing drive-by shooting.

His purchase of a house outside grove territory.

I would have just capped his ass then and there, but due to Designer Cheating it is not an option.

In the event smoke was "innocent", I would have just made him a martyr and started a gang war over his corpse.

You get to dress CJ, buff him up, improve his driving and gun skills, etc.
But you can't make him talk. (Yes he talks, but that's different.)

Putting in a politics subgame (perhaps with oratory/mob incitement minigames- possibly based on the dance minigame) would have been amazingly cool, but I don't know how feasible that would be.
Something like that would probably be outside the scope of a driving/shooter but ohhh...
how delicious.

How would one implement a collect the evidence/interpret the evidence system that doesn't just give away the answers?
Like if I want to find a traitor, just decide to shadow/stake out a person or place.
Unscripted- this would require a living world with dynamic scheduling.

Too complicated?
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeye wrote:
Too complicated?

Certianly not! At least not for a developer as experienced as Rockstar. But would they? Probably not, because you know, someone has to create those huge environments and stuff. Still a nice thought though. We can only hold out hope for GTAIV. If GTA3 was any indication of nonlinear story missions, GTAIV has the potential to be something truly amazing. But only if they decide to really look at GTA3 and what they were dong right with it, instead of just building on the template like they did with Vice City and San Andreas.
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeye wrote:

Remind you of the start of Earthbound?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, why no kids in San Andreas. Come on Rockstar, just one school. Is that too much to ask?
Redeye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
Redeye wrote:
:

Remind you of the start of Earthbound?

Never played it.

Harveyjames wrote:
Also, why no kids in San Andreas. Come on Rockstar, just one school. Is that too much to ask?

Perfect place for a Rampage icon.
Or several- so many things to do with a school: playground sniping, classroom nading, flamethrower fun at the D.A.R.E. rally, planting satchel charges on buses, etc.

They should bring back the Rampage.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Come on Rockstar, just one school. Is that too much to ask?

probably. that's a bit heavy in the balls department for them. still worried about the gub'mint, etc.

would probably kill jack thompson.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

Surely they pay him to make publicity for them?
Redeye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
dhex wrote:

Surely they pay him to make publicity for them?

Like Frank Zappa paid Tipper Gore to help "market" his instrumental albums back in the 80's?

"Explicit Lyrics".

Rolling Eyes

Nothing like Soviet Style Show Trials to show the true colors of the Left.
(Hand in Glove with the Right.)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the great thing about fanatics is you don't have to pay them to be anything - they're very special snowflakes to begin with.

jack is what he is, and that is nuts. he's only noticed in these circles because of his focus on columbine and his ongoing obsession with the shareware levels of doom. not to toot my own horn (ta ta) but i've been a fan of jack thompson for quite some time now, back before he was cool. since 2 live crew, man. which is also the last time he was actually effective; he did get florida's lower courts to proceed with an obscenity case against the group. (that was later dropped)

oh jack where have you gone now? games? fucking games? can't even win a wrongful death suit. sure, he's bombastic - or used to be before he got boring - but people pay him far too much attention. he's not going to win a suit against a game maker for the violent behavior of anyone, at least not in america. he's just there to provide frission and help game journalists feel like they're writing about something important. so in that sense he's actually a great, great man. why does a site like gamepolitics even exist beyond jack thompson and a few other types, so plenty of teeth gnashing can be had over the dangers of requiring id to buy games or whatever horrible pit of inconsequentiality we're going to be tossed into.

game manufacturers and distributors will start paying bribes to politicians like any other corporation, or suffer the wrath of the legions of decency. not that it really has that much of a push - the only mention i've seen lately was in a hillary spot in ny state, and it wasn't a focus point. i think ultimately, people don't really care that much about rockstar beyond the initial shock of hooker murdering and the like. i don't even see how much wrath they could possibly spare beyond FTC investigations (those can get dicey).
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, so jack thompson's actually crazy? i thought he was just an opportunist.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, he's actually crazy.

the whole thing with janet reno was comedy gold of sorts, until you notice just how relentless his craziness is. (of course, the world would have been a slightly better place had he succeeded; or at the very least, some odd religious folk out in waco, texas, might still be alive).

but accusing reno (back in the 1980s) of being in the pocket of the mafia and addicted to painkillers is the sort of stuff that can only consistently emerge from the deranged. the story being, iirc, the mafia was hooking her up with drugs and hookers; mr. thompson's long-running nemesis, the florida bar association, was of course involved in some way in the coverup.

circles within circles, jack. circles within circles.

now, of course, he has deflated into calling games murder simulators (which in one broad sense they are) and the lack of conspiratorial meanderings is one of only dozens of reasons to mourn this annoying but less crazy version of jack thompson.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he's beautifully insane. He's also the best anti-games crusader that the game industry could have hoped for, since he's so wildly over-the-top that nobody reasonable will take him seriously, yet he has enough of a media footprint to essentially produce free "edgy" PR.

And as for San Andreas, I really want a return to the 2D overall mechanics in the sense that you should be able to do things like align yourself with the gang of your choice, start your own gang. off important "story" characters if you want to, etc. There's too many instances in these games where you can see the double-cross or whatever major plot point coming, only you can't do anything because you're locked into the roller-coaster ride of the plot, which I think ties into the constrained missions: you're not allowed to do certain things that you should be able to do because it would upset the carefully-balanced design.

Which seems to me to forget the roots of the series and one of the major selling points of the gameplay, that being that the player has the freedom to be as clever or as stupid as they want to be. Or: more sandbox, dammit.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find that kind of sad.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, we all need hobbies. some folks' hobbies include being nuts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the whole Jack Thompson vs Janet Reno thing as an excuse to print the word "lesbian" in the school newspaper. That same issue also had a Propaganda section some kid put in at the last minute.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the message here "more sand, less box"?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But not more sand then the box can hold. Thus, the whole thing becomes a careful balancing act.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
"lesbian"

giggle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:
"lesbian"

giggle

That's what the general consensus was. I probably should've explained the whole story though.

Basically, I was trying to push the envelope as to what was acceptable language-wise in the paper last year. I started with "hell", if I remember correctly, then "lesbian", and then I believed I got a "damn" in there somewhere, but that was the farthest I got (I tried to use a censored version of "motherfucker" in an article about Snakes on a Plane but that was apparently going too far).

It did get lots of cheap laughs though.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a high school newspaper or a college one?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High school.

Which reminds me - at 17, I think I'm the youngest one here on the board.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesbian is considered a bad word?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lesbians are scary creatures who lurk under your bed and seduce your girlfriend!

(and go bump in the night!)
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to this girl at my old job and she was telling me about a short film she made called 'two girls kissing' which got into a bunch of gay film festivals. I said something 'my friend Petra made a lesbian film, it got into one of those film festivals too' and she sort of rolled her eyes. From this I got the impression that gay women don't like the word 'lesbian'.

But thinking about it it's more to do with 'my friend made a lesbian film too!' being a retarded response. It's like that guy in James Bond who says 'you have a brother? I have a brother!' but coupled with the terminology 'a lesbian film' to describe, you know, a film with lesbians in it.

me = doofus : (
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the word "lesbian" isn't as bad as the phrase "gay woman".
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See how I always find some way of putting my foot in it?

I could have said gays but it wouldn't have been specific enough to describe what I was talking about which is non-male gays who have vaginas. 'Gay women' is a pretty apt description of what I was talking about. Jeez. I'll just say dykes in future how does that sound.

I think a lot of my lesbian friends would do well to stop being so hypersensitive when it comes to language.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
lesbians are scary creatures who lurk under your bed and seduce your girlfriend!

(and go bump in the night!)

Why didn't you say that in the Halloween thread?
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Halloween, not your Last Days!

P.S. All of my gay friends call each other faggots and have no qualms insulting you as such even if you're straight. Because my gay friends are awesome.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zog bless word filters.

illuminati illuminati illuminati illuminati whooo!

[insert joke about park slope here]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are pretty awesome.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I think a lot of my lesbian friends would do well to stop being so hypersensitive when it comes to language.

queer ladies are nothing if not obsessed with the language of identity!

Last edited by dessgeega on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be even funnier if we filtered 'awesome' to show up as 'gay'.

example:

Dracko wrote:
P.S. All of my awesome friends call each other faggots and have no qualms insulting you as such even if you're straight. Because my awesome friends are gay.

See how much funnier that reads!

Last edited by Mr. Mechanical on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philosophies are born this way.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did emo ever get filtered to Fugazi?

Edited - I'm guessing it didn't. Someone should fix this.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have it filter to one the the Earthbound favorite things, like Rockin'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: