The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 50 Game Journalists! Suck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So hey, the guy who did that interview, Billy Berghammer, is a really good game journalist. He founded Planet Gamecube then left it to become a horrible mess of a site when he joined Game Informer. I bring this up because I could tell it was him doing the interview because the questions were actually pretty interesting.

Top 50 Game Journalist Recommendation!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Top 50 Game Journalist Recommendation!

Good Christ I can't stand that pretentious arsehole Kieron Gillen.

Last edited by Dracko on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That list was completely worthless. It doesn't even discuss what makes any of those people great, it just reprints their bios. I saw it the same day I saw their "We're really excited about the PS3 now!" "article" which did much the same thing with the launch lineup. Barring Tim and Aderack's contributions, next-gen is remarkably shit.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that was terrible.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if they ever did a "Top 50 Game Journalists Who Are Lazy and Only Write Pretentious, Overly Postmodern Articles for School Newspapers" list I would be numbers 1-50.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dracko you and me are bizzaro world clones or something. same vat but wrong times of the day or whatever. ayn rand makes you angry; she makes me laugh my ass off. kieron's a nice dude, though i know nothing about comics or whatever. (i may just be saying that cause he bought a piece of mine for a book collection that was unfortunately killed last year, but naahh, dude is quality)

then again, a lot of folks would describe me as pretentious soooooooo etc etc and so forth.

so what was wrong with the list? i don't read gaming mags so i have no idea if these folks are influential or not but they seem to be from the right kinds of outlets (i.e. big ones) it was a roundup, right?
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, this discussion again...

Yeah, I really don't see what is so upsetting about this list. There's some good choices (Carless, Totilo) and some really dumb ones (the two from X-Play among others), and some surprising omissions (Jane Pinkard), but overall it was decent. In the end, its a popularity contest, so what do you expect?
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
dracko you and me are bizzaro world clones or something. same vat but wrong times of the day or whatever. ayn rand makes you angry; she makes me laugh my ass off. kieron's a nice dude, though i know nothing about comics or whatever. (i may just be saying that cause he bought a piece of mine for a book collection that was unfortunately killed last year, but naahh, dude is quality)

And I'm a vile neo-authoritarian, yet I'm passionately against the ID scheme over here in the UK and hold many political and philosophical views which would be more in keeping with libertarianism and individualism (How is it I loathe Rand, but find Anton LaVey, under all the Satanist baggage, ideologically sound, I wonder?), go figure.

But really, I hate his journalism (The review he wrote for Darwinia was enough to put me off completely from even trying the demo until quite a while later). As for his lousy comic, Jesus. Like we need a fucking Britpop John Constantine.

Seriously, anyone who actually thinks like this:

deserves to be chinned on sight.

And for what it's worth, I've never found you to be pretentious in the least.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit that comic looks gay.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N.B. That isn't what I typed.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Holy shit that comic looks awesome.

That seriously is the best thing I've ever seen. Top 50 Game Journalist #1.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told Brandon I liked his Myspace photo.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Holy shit that comic looks awesome.

SuperWes wrote:
That seriously is the best thing I've ever seen. Top 50 Game Journalist #1.

Well, you shameless cocktwists can catch the rest of the preview here.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha word filter for the win.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gays go home.
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm part of the Brandon Fan Club, so I was psyched to see him on the list. Yay!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle orland is kind of an idiot.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Good Christ I can't stand that pretentious arsehole Kieron Gillen, and I hope he gets hit by a truck. Seriously.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above comic has some really nice art, but is an absolute torture to read.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I'm a vile neo-authoritarian, yet I'm passionately against the ID scheme over here in the UK and hold many political and philosophical views which would be more in keeping with libertarianism and individualism (How is it I loathe Rand, but find Anton LaVey, under all the Satanist baggage, ideologically sound, I wonder?), go figure.

oh get off the cross. i was making a funny, dude. it's not like your worldview is a manichean mystery to me (check the shin reading thread for more on my absolute obsession with that word to describe everything ever). i know i'm an utter fuck and all but i would like to think people would at least grant me that i'm not entirely dense all of the time. i'm sure you are a multi-faceted person and hold many opinions which would surprise me.

now, lavey was an interesting carny trick; his daughter is an interesting woman, and more or less exactly what you'd expect from someone who grew up with a dad who played at being the most vile cartoon character in the universe. (a friend of mine is a member in good standing of a certain theological trade union which split from the CoS back in the mid 70s over selling memberships and certain metaphysical differences.) i would put him and rand in similar categories, of course, being folks who started cults that eventually became insanely bloated cash cows. (not that there's anything wrong with that) but overall, i can see how in a heavily statist country such individualist antinomianism would be popular as an act of social rebellion, etc etc and so forth, since you've mentioned your problems with encountering many randoids throughout your travels.

now, i can't say i find either readable, but i do find rand far more funny than lavey, since tony ended up living as a pathetic shell of a human being for all of his attempts to adventure through life. (the compleat witch is a great book about manipulating guys that's also uniquely self-serving, btw). i prefer my egoism in stirner-sized bits and pieces and my elitism via nietzche, and my magical theory from bob wilson, pete carroll and dale carnegie, but that's me. i don't think i'd want to hang out on a regular basis with anyone who was very into either rand or the cos as a matter of their identity, but again, that's me.

anyway, i don't read comics so i am unable to judge their efficacy; outside of matt hawkins and benjamin rivers, that is. my first impression is that you'd want to punch the character in the face, and this may be intentional, judging from the word-image associations being built. but i am also just saying my dealings with the dude have been straight up cool, even when he's criticized me, and i've generally found him insightful into things i'd want some insight into. i really have no urge to see him hit by any trucks, buses and other forms of four-wheeled motorized transportation and find the association somewhat distressing in a way that saying "i'd like to punch him in the face" isn't. of course, i can't say i find him particularly pretentious or obnoxious, but again, fish are blind to water.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
The above comic has some really nice art, but is an absolute torture to read.

I dunno, I think the art is pretty horrible too.

Not only does it make me want to punch Keiron Gillen but it's made me subconciously decide on what type of punch I'm going to use too (a kind of Ryu-style dragon punch.)

I'm sure he's a lovely person really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: