The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Region Free PS3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Region Free PS3? Reply with quote

So it turns out that The PS3 will be region free for games. This comes in light of the announcement that the Wii definately will not be. This alone is a big deal for most of us international gamers, but what I'm more curious about is whether the PS3 being region free also means its backwards compatibility will be region free. If that's the case I'm really, really pumped because it means I won't have to abort my PS2 every time I want to play Gregory Horror Show. To make this an interesting thread and not just me wondering out loud, say whether or not this would affect your decision to purchase a PS3 and mention any PS1 and PS2 games you would purchase if the PS3 magically allowed region free backwards compatibility. I'll start!

1. Hell yes!

2. I already have a Japanese PS2, but it would be nice to be able to play the aforementioned Gregory Horror Show, Michigan: Report From Hell, Vib-Ribbon, Mojib Ribbon, Vib-Ripple, and all of my other PS2 games without having to swap the cords in the back of my systems or do the slide card thing. I'm really lazy. I'd also buy the Euro-Ico in a heartbeat.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Region Free PS3? Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
This comes in light of the announcement that the Wii definately will not be.

I thought it had been announced that the Wii willbe region free. Or do I need to lay off the crack pipe?

I'm still undecided about PS3. I love that it's being made, and I'm much more likely to get it than a 360, but the starting price is a little rich for my unemployed blood.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Region Free PS3? Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
I thought it had been announced that the Wii willbe region free. Or do I need to lay off the crack pipe?

Read that first link I gave. It sort of explains things.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Region Free PS3? Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'd also buy the Euro-Ico in a heartbeat.

Is there something different about it?

And I just want my N64 to be region free so that I can play sin and punishment.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Region Free PS3? Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
I'd also buy the Euro-Ico in a heartbeat.

Is there something different about it?

Enemies are smarter and harder, there are extra items (a lightsaber I think?), an available 2-player mode after beating it, and an extra ending. Edit: And don't forget the not-hideous box art! The US really got screwed on this one.

As for your N64, if I remember correctly all you have to do to play Japanese cartridges is revmove the little blockers on the back of them, right?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin

Last edited by Swimmy on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Region Free PS3? Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
As for your N64, if I remember correctly all you have to do to play Japanese cartridges is revmove the little blockers on the back of them, right?

Absolutely! And if you're worried about hurting your precious cartridge you can buy a certain type of screwdriver bit and use it to swap the Japanese back-of-cartridge with a US back-of-cartridge.

OR

You can just take apart your system and use a soldering iron to melt down the little tabs within the system that prevent Japanese games from fitting in a US system.

OR

You can just burn off the tabs on the Japanese game cartridge itself which prevent it from going in your US system.

I've used all of these methods before.

Don't ask.

-Wes
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Region Free PS3? Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
stuff about playing n64 imports

-Wes

Would you happen to have any idea if getting a PAL n64 play US and JAP games would be as simple?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Region Free PS3? Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

-Wes

Would you happen to have any idea if getting a PAL n64 play US and JAP games would be as simple?

I would imagine it's much, much more difficult. The N64 didn't play well with PAL if I understand correctly. I've heard that some of your games had to be re-engineered in order to work on your TVs, forcing some of them to be in widescreen when they originally weren't. Don't know how true this is, but I know that if the rumors got that far out of hand there probably isn't an easy solution.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty disturbing. About the Wii, that is.

I wonder if Nintendo realizes that they might actually lose customers as a result of this.

Oh well, at least their domestic output is a little more in line with their Japanese one than Sony's is. And maybe there will be a nice, easy mod for it like with the GC.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
I wonder if Nintendo realizes that they might actually lose customers as a result of this.

Do you mean of their software? I don't think that people are going to not buy the system because of this. Either way, it does promote the cracking of thier system, if they just opened it up the urge for people to break the code wouldn't be very high.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Region Free PS3? Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
You can just take apart your system and use a soldering iron to melt down the little tabs within the system that prevent Japanese games from fitting in a US system.

Please don't ever use a soldering iron to melt plastic. You make my inner electrical engineer cry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Region Free PS3? Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

Please don't ever use a soldering iron to melt plastic. You make my inner electrical engineer cry.

It works great! And I have no other hot tools ((except for, you know, the one.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burning plastic releases carcinogenic dioxins and furans along with other unpleasant chemicals. Just a thought. : )
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Region Free PS3? Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

-Wes

No. PAL games on a NTSC N64 system have two obstacles: Not only is there the whole PAL/NTSC output thing mentioned earlier, but you also have the region lockout to contend with. Strangely enough, Nintendo didn't see the need for any region lockout on the two main NTSC regions and relied exclusively on the hardware lockout (i.e. the plastic tabs in the system) to keep people from playing games they're 'not supposed to'. Getting PAL titles to run on a NTSC system (or vice-versa) requires something like this, which is annoying considering the other mod can be performed for free.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is news to everyone, but apparently the Wii Virtual Console will also have Commodore 64 games. At least according to Magic Box: Impossible Mission 1 & 2, Winter Games, Summer Games 1 & 2, Pitstop and Jumpman Junior. So.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
apparently the Wii Virtual Console will also have Commodore 64 games.

!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no kidding! Forget what I was saying about the non-region-free-ness being a deal killer for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: