The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Animal Crossing: hot or what?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Animal Crossing: hot or what? Reply with quote

What do you think of Animal Crossing Wild World, I've just got it, and although I can see that it is addictive it seems ultimately to be pointless (not to say that I don't play it). I think my problem is that it isn't a real "game", and the characters aren't very dramatic.

What do you guys and girls think?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Animal Crossing to death. But I haven't played my copy in over three months now. Why? Guilt. I know that as soon as I load it up, my town will be full of weeds, my fruit trees dried up and dead, my neighbors all upset with me (or worse, forget I even live there), and Tom Nook waiting outside my door with a Repo truck and a bulldozer. (Okay maybe not the bulldozer).

I can't play Animal Crossing every day, not like I could when I was a freshman in college when the first one came out. And being unable to play it makes me feel guilty to the point where I don't pick it up for days and then weeks at a time until I never want to go back because the guilt would be too much to bear. The emotional attachment I get from the game is so strong that I'd rather not play it than have to deal with the consequences of playing it after a break.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped playing when Camofrog moved out of my town :sadface:

Seriously.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I still have your Camofrog Shaper!

I find the game isn't that hard to pick up and get back into again. Get a friend to help you pull the weeds.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's truly a beautiful experience to a certain extent. It's an investment of love, because you actually get attached to these A.I. creatures, many of which are adorable and sport awesome bits of random dialogue. I gave up a few months ago. I just couldn't bring myself to stay consistent with the game, I still turn it on from time to time to redecorate my room or collect some bugs. There's always something to do, that ultimately leads to nothing at all. Lot's of options and paths to take, all of which lead to dead ends.

I love Tangy, she's the greatest. If she moved , I probably would cry.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tangy is awesome. i havn't met her yet in the portable version, though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out, I just got my copy of Wild World back from a friend last week. I played it every day for a month or so, but after a while I fell into a routine and it became a kind of virtual daily grind.

I'd love to do some Wi-Fi. I know I'm late to the party, but anyone for swapping friend codes?
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
after a while I fell into a routine and it became a kind of virtual daily grind.

This is the same problem I ran into with all of the Animal Crossing games. The inclusion of events like the various celebrations or one of the animals coming to visit your house certainly help liven the routine up a bit, but if you've seen one holiday in the game, you've pretty much seen them all. I've always reached that point where I'm no longer discovering new and interesting things and instead just start working at a routine where I'm collecting bells to pay Nook to upgrade my house so I can continue filling it with my junk. Which gets a bit too close to real life for my liking.
Sushi d

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
after a while I fell into a routine and it became a kind of virtual daily grind.

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
.. I've always reached that point where I'm no longer discovering new and interesting things and instead just start working at a routine where I'm collecting bells to pay Nook to upgrade my house so I can continue filling it with my junk. Which gets a bit too close to real life for my liking.

These two quotes describe my feelings for animal crossing:ww.
the game pretty much degenerates into some sort of collection-grind and since the townspeople AI is unintelligent, they aren't fun to converse with.

I think harvest moon fares a better for me than AC does. in HM, one is always doing something because there is always a wide variety of things to do. Even when you're not grinding away tending to your crops and livestock, you could always go explore the town and see whats going on. All the townsfolk had their little scripted lives to live and one had to decide what to do with your meager amounts of free time. AC is different in that one is always chilling out in that game. One is always tending to the town's topiaries and collecting little trinkets and stuff to sell. You don't really go anywhere with it. Its pretty much "ooh.. a bigger house" and thats it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sushi d wrote:
I think harvest moon fares a better for me than AC does. in HM, one is always doing something because there is always a wide variety of things to do. Even when you're not grinding away tending to your crops and livestock, you could always go explore the town and see whats going on. All the townsfolk had their little scripted lives to live and one had to decide what to do with your meager amounts of free time. AC is different in that one is always chilling out in that game. One is always tending to the town's topiaries and collecting little trinkets and stuff to sell. You don't really go anywhere with it. Its pretty much "ooh.. a bigger house" and thats it.

My wife agrees and supports this post!

For the ammount of time she has sunk into harvest moon games over time you would think she could at least put like 40 or more hours into AC, but she never played more than like 20 of the DS version. For some reason she hated the GC version.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a rabbit in my town called Bunnie. She looked like this

Bunnie was by far and away everyone's favorite animal. My next door neighbours who also had the game would try to poach her off us every time they visited. Also, my housemate (a very serious film student) would write her letters pretty much every day.

I want to get Wild World, but I'm not sure how much I'd play it since I kind of feel I've already done the whole Animal Crossing thing. It's not going to ever top the time when there were like 6 people I knew playing the game, and we were all discovering the secrets of the game together- I remember it being a particular delight when we by chance discovered you could make snowmen, but all our snowmen were deformed and wished only for death Sad Then there was an unspoken race to see who'd be the first to make a perfect, happy snowman who would talk you you. It was brilliant.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the snowmen say really heartbreaking things to you in wild world. i should start playing again so i can invite all the new folks over.

also, agent s, a squirrel superspy, has been the hilight of my wild world experience so far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an Animal Crossing militant.

I used to play for at least 30 minutes a day, while getting myself together in the morning. Usually I'd be back on for an hour or two in the evening, to harvest fruit or work on some project or other.

I took another little break when I started my new job, because I didn't really know how to fit Animal Crossing into my new living pattern. Fortunately, it's now found an hour-long spot at around 7,30pm where I can go on WiFi and have people round while I take care of the place.

Also, I'm still totally having a fancy-dress halloween party next month, and you're all invited. RSVP to make sure you're on the friends list!

Oh! And I have an octopus in my town! She's freakin' awesome.
Ketch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvis, the curmudgeonly lion that I hated at first but grew to like, wanted to move out last night but I persuaded him to stay.

P.s can I force characters to move out by sending them trash and pushing them around, or is it better to ignore them completely?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the GC version we couldn't shift Sue E for love nor money. Hate mail, trash, signs outside her house with a picture of her face inside a red circle with a line through it (and t-shirts with the same design sent to all the other animals)... nothing we tried worked. Whether the DS version is any different I don't know.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the game cube version, I spent two weeks trying to get someone in my town that I didn't like to leave by hitting him with my bug catching net until he would scream at me every day.

I really like Kiki the black cat, but I've only seen her in someone else's town online in the DS version.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I really like Kiki the black cat, but I've only seen her in someone else's town online in the DS version.

Kiki has been in my town for a long time now, and other then Tangy, Kiki is my favorite. I wanted to take a picture of my own cat Pepper, and cross reference the pic to Kiki because they look exactly the same!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladamir is a tiny pink bear with a blonde flat-top who calls everyone "comrade". he is one of my favorites and i put him in the layout of my animal crossing piece in issue 5.

along with snake, the bunny ninja.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: