The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Anticipated Wii Game?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Most Anticipated Wii Game? Reply with quote

Watch this video first.

Now tell me, what's your most anticipated Wii game? I can't decide!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all look awesome.

I am generally leaning towards the happier ones, but hey...

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None. The only one showing any actual signs of creativity and natural feel as opposed to forced concepts or by-the-numbers-BUT-WITH-A-REMOTE-WOW attitude is Mario Galaxy. Mario 64 also looked good, and it turned out it wasn't, so hopes aren't high. The orchestra one is a promising concept, but I'm not informed enough on how it's supposed to work. Same with Sadness.

I don't know, maybe later, when actual ideas come along and people aren't so excited over wands. There's nothing here that couldn't or hasn't been done elsewhere.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Mario 64 also looked good, and it turned out it wasn't, so hopes aren't high.

Dracko, you say intelligent things most of the time. What happened here?

Anyway, Super Mario Galaxy is one of the most wonderful things I have ever seen. If it is out at launch I will buy a Wii. Basically, whenever it comes out is when I fork over the cash.

Runner-up awards from that video?
-WarioWare nose-picking
-Excite Truck
-Rayman Raving Rabbids (it's hard not to dig on its quirkiness, even if it is just going to be minigames
-and Twilight Princess still looks fucking incredible.

I am disappointed with the number of mini-game compiliation style games, on the whole, though. I think Wii Sports could even be included in this. And I am a big fan of the Metroid Prime series, but I haven't seen anything to get excited about yet for Corruption.

Dracko, which clip was from Sadness? I couldn't always tell what I was watching.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, shucks.

The thing is, with me, when it comes to Mario 64 is that it is indeed a very, very solid 3D platformer, at least in so far as mechanics and controls go. You've got your freedom, you've even got damn good flights. And yes, I enjoyed it, for a while. Unfortunately, the ambience got to me. I don't mind the Mushroom Kingdom conceptually, so it isn't a personality thing, but after the while, the game feels crushingly stifling. You jump and run around these playgrounds, all of which have their own character, until you realise that the arenas you operate in are small, rigid and boast these potential expanses in the background which are never delivered to you. The dichotomy of these living and vivid, yet secluded, captured sets, is one that really did the game in for me. It's like prepping a small child up on sugar, bouncy and curious, then dumping it in a Petri dish. It's even more depressing a game when I realise I actually enjoy the visceral alienation video games can deliver.

The more I hear about Mario Galaxy's style though, the more I get the impression it may very well resolve that. Will it be enough to make me buy a Wii? No, but if that happens, I'll more than likely pick it up.

And no, Sadness didn't seem to be there, as far as I can tell, but it's currently one of the meagre few Wii titles I'm interested in and keeping a lazy eye on.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for qualifying that argument finally.

Dracko wrote:
keeping a lazy eye on.

This is my new favorite expression.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Ross: The Joy of Painting.

I haven't heard anything about this game in awhile. I don't even know if it's still being developed. The concept is pretty damn great, though.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that one brief clip of a house being lifted by a beam of electricity? Also the mansion and a crumbling door towards the end.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Also the mansion and a crumbling door towards the end.

They're porting Mansion of Hidden Souls to the Wii? ;p
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
What's that one brief clip of a house being lifted by a beam of electricity?

That was Elebits.

Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zelda, Battalion Wars or whatever it's called, and WarioWare all look like things I wouldn't mind playing. What was that scuba diver game near the beginning? That one looked like it might be kind of neat.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
What's that one brief clip of a house being lifted by a beam of electricity? Also the mansion and a crumbling door towards the end.

Electricity would be Elebits by Konami.

Looking forward to most by me? Dragon Quest Sword, SD Gundam (after actully playing it, it's pretty amazing), and ... umm? Stuff? I really want to know what the game was where the guy looked like he was playing drums with two Wiimotes.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, was a price or release date announced? I know this is from that Nintendo event yesterday.

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia says $250 on November 19th.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With one controller and Wii Sports.

It's okay, I guess, but I think we were mostly hoping for something a little more set-the-world-on-fire.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Wikipedia says $250 on November 19th.

Are there any news articles on exactly what was announced at the event? I mean, like what is going to be in the package, what accessories will be available? Units at launch estimate?

Edit: Thanks Steve. Hell, a pack in game is always nice. I probably would have bought it anyways!

helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Package: Nov. 19th (US), $250, includes one wii-mote, one nun-chuk add-on, one sensor bar (for the controllers), Wii Sports (Boxing, Bowling, Tennis, Golf, Baseball)

-Wii-motes will sell for $39.99 separately
-That sweet-ass 'classic' controller for the Virtual Console games (and, apparently, the new Fire Emblem game) will sell for $19.99
-Virtual Console downloads will be $5, $8, or $10 (for the NES, SNES, and N64 titles, respectively) with 30 available before the end of the year and ten new ones added every month
-About 30 Wii games in the US before 12/31, with about half of those available at launch on 11/19
-There will be approx. 4 million units shipped worldwide before 12/31, with the majority of those coming to the US
-There are apparently 12 'channels', one of which is the channel for playing Wii and Gamecube games, on the console's main interface. Something about photos and calendars and stuff.
-in other news: Twilight Princess will be a Wii launch title, but a GC version will still be released on 12/2 (or thereabouts); Metroid Prime 3 has been pushed back to next year; Capcom has officially announced a Biohazard: Umbrella Chronicles; most Wii games will support widescreen even though they aren't high definition

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
What was that scuba diver game near the beginning?

It's a new IP from Nintendo called Forever Blue. I don't know any more than that yet.

So that's my report from all those old games journalism sites who were at the conferences and did live updates.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Virtual Console downloads will be $5, $8, or $10 (for the NES, SNES, and N64 titles, respectively) with 30 available before the end of the year and ten new ones added every month

Bah. That's a bit more expensive than I thought it was going to be. I can get a lot of those games cheaper at the local Mom and Pop store.

Does anyone know how much the Wii games are going to cost?
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$50, it seems.

Again, I was hoping for something bolder.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, £30. Why is it then that they're sold at £50?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually gonna go with Dracko on this one. None of these games look particularly exciting. Except for Dragon Quest, but I'm a Dragon Quest whore and the title alone excites me. I'm more optimistic about the system's potential, though.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ropey katakana-reading skills tell me the one with the mansion and crumbling door is called 'Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles'.

I'm excited about all the games with 'Island' in the title. And, uh, most of the other ones!

Has anyone watched Sawata's keynote address? He's demonstrating a photoshop-like package which is not a world away from the one demonstated in that multi-input touchscreen video that was one Youtube. Looks like you can upload images and videos from your digital camera into Wii.

And it gives you weather forecasts from the internet!? I hope this is all built into the BIOS.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelda, for sure. But MAN I'm going to play the FUCK out of WiiSports. I'm probably going to take that Monday off to do just that. :-)

I'm really excited for damn near everything though. I also have an unhealthy desire to play ExciteTruck -- I just want to step on that pedal and FLY. It will be quite cathartic, I imagine.

Goddamn, I hope Namco makes a Wii Ridge Racer.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Forever Blue

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pricing scheme for the virtual console runs thusly:

NES games : 500 yen.
SNES games: 800 yen.
Nintendo 64 games: 1000 yen.

So about $8 or £5 for a N64 game. That's pretty reasonable if they keep the pricing structure like that worldwide.

By the way, the interface for the Wii's bios is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. It takes the form of a bank of inventory boxes called 'channels'. Most of the boxes are empty and each can be filled by a piece of Wii content: a Snes game, a Google Earth type program, one box is for disc content (Wii and Gamecube games), and clicking one box brings you today's news. Very intuitive and Mac OS-like.

The news option is scary, since it's not like you get a choice of sources. You click on news and a page of news comes up. Clearchannel or someone could get on board with this and really fuck things up.

One of the'channels is called 'Mii', which is a super-cute character creation utility. The characters you make get dropped into a white space and you can play around with and manipulate them a little like Pikmin, but they're also accessible as player characters in Wii Sports. I think they might function a little bit like Xbox Live gamertags.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
helicopterp wrote:
Forever Blue

Yeah, those were two peaceful, beautiful seconds in an explosion of montage. If the whole game can make me feel like that it'll be my favorite.

Similarly, that Wii Plane one.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
that Wii Plane one.

This is now called 'Wing Island' and features a bunch of birds dressed as pilots, who speak in Lylat-style gibberish. This news makes me very happy.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm looking forward to whatever Matsuno is working on.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Zelda, for sure. But MAN I'm going to play the FUCK out of WiiSports. I'm probably going to take that Monday off to do just that. Smile

I'm really excited for damn near everything though. I also have an unhealthy desire to play ExciteTruck -- I just want to step on that pedal and FLY. It will be quite cathartic, I imagine.

Goddamn, I hope Namco makes a Wii Ridge Racer.

Wiidge Racer?

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the whole "upset over the price" thing. I thought it was only fan speculation that it would launch at $100, $150 or around that range. Plus you get a game bundled, which hasn't happened in years, all for $350 less than the PS3 launch price.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People were just expecting something that would cause the reactions that the remote and the virtual console got. The bundle at $200, for example, or $250 with a pair of controllers, or preloaded with tens of roms. Something less conservative on nintendo's part.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario Galaxy plays just so fucking well. my choice.

other than that, the neon pong deal seems engaging.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mario Galaxy has wonderful play.

My personal is Smash Bros. I look forward to playing that with other people. Should be quite silly and awesome. I foresee playing it (and quite a few other Wii games) using traditional controls. I actually much prefer Zelda with regular controls, for example. The axis motion elements are wearying and take longer to execute. And I'm not a lazy man.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
The news option is scary, since it's not like you get a choice of sources. You click on news and a page of news comes up. Clearchannel or someone could get on board with this and really fuck things up.

I dunno. Much more scary to me is the prospect of anyone content to get their news from a Wii.

As far as the Clear Channel thing, Nintendo has gone on the record as saying that they aren't considering branded channels, so I feel a little better there.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After hearing about the Resident Evil Wii game, I have to say it's my most anticipated game on any system right now.

Apparently it's going to tie up most of the loose ends in the series by having all the major characters playable in different scenarios showing what they did after the games they starred in. Wesker's campaign is supposedly a brief retelling of Resident Evil 1 from his point of view, and the whole game is supposed to play like RE4 but with the Wiimote.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, seriously, I have said this before, but like the SD Gundam game shocked the hell out of me about how good it was. The only reason I played it was becasue no one else was in the Wii booth at E3. It works really really well and is very fun. Just so you guys keep it on your radar.

Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Forever Blue and Wing Island: I'm glad someone is really capitalizing on freedom of movement fantasies.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess intrigue to Forever Blue as a result of this thread.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, is Forever Blue actually a new IP? I thought it was the name of some existant series of diving games but I'm probably confused and a Google search didn't help.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Forever Blue is a new IP, but it sounds a lot like "Everblue".
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
After hearing about the Resident Evil Wii game, I have to say it's my most anticipated game on any system right now.

Apparently it's going to tie up most of the loose ends in the series by having all the major characters playable in different scenarios showing what they did after the games they starred in. Wesker's campaign is supposedly a brief retelling of Resident Evil 1 from his point of view, and the whole game is supposed to play like RE4 but with the Wiimote.

Is there more info than just the video? If so, where?

_Marcel Duchamp
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_Umbrella_Chronicles
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_Umbrella_Chronicles

Thanks

_Marcel Duchamp
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Wiidge Racer?

Yes, and a Castlevanwiia would be nice, too.

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Wacer!!
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's great about the "Mii" avatars is that you can store them in your remote, so when you take your controller over to a friend's place, you've got your character right there.

Somehow that makes the inclusion of only a single remote make more sense to me. To a certain extent, it seems like you're expected to get your own Wii, then go out and spend time with friends, dragging your controller and wrist strap with you. Or have them come over and bring theirs.

Does sort of take away from the "out of the box family entertainment" thing, though.

As for being preloaded with a bunch of ROMs, I kind of expect the system to come with a point card for so-many free downloads. It would be the sensible thing to do, as it would give people a taste for how the downloading thing works; indoctrinate them, so they'll be more likely to spend money later.

Also, someone talk about the "body English" factor in Excite Truck. I wasn't excited about the game until I saw how Nintendo chose to describe it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
Also, someone talk about the "body English" factor in Excite Truck.

I nominate you, aderack! I really haven't heard about this yet.
purplechair

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my experiences with Majora's Mask last year, I'd probably say Zelda. Although I'm expecting it'll be a lot more like Ocarina of Time, unfortunately.

Good lineup, though. I remember when the 360 came out, I was kinda thinking that DoA4 might be alright, but I wasn't entirely sold. But with the Wii, there's a good three or four games that I really want, right on the launch date - and Mario etc coming soon after.

I can't wait to tinker with my Mii.

OtakupunkX wrote:

Everblue 4: Forever Blue
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:

Everblue 4: Forever Blue

Survival Kids 3 (aka; Lost in Blue 2): Forever Blue

(i kid)

player 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heroes

_Marcel Duchamp
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody else think that two Wii controllers could make a really great control scheme for a new Virtual On game? I miss Virtual On.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: