The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The end of 06 is too much
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryoburner wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:

Every Extend Extra and Elite Beat Agents (this name never sets well with me) are great and everyone owning their respective systems should buy them.

From what I've experienced of Every Extend Extra, I haven't found it to be as good as the original freeware title by Omega. It might have more levels and special effects, but I don't find the gameplay and art style to be as refined as those in the original Every Extend. The visuals look messy and distracting, which hardly seems like an improvement over the clean flat-shaded polygonal appearance of Every Extend. Also, for supposedly being more centered around music, the tracks and sound effects I've heard are not nearly as engaging as those found in EE. I tried out the demo released for Extra, and found the object collision and gameplay also feel messier. Perhaps the full version will be better, but I just don't think I would spend $40 on something that I find inferior to the freeware title it was based off. Of course, I don't have any current plans of getting a PSP, so I suppose this isn't really an issue for me. : )

I don't think the gameplay is messier in any regard, nor do I think the object collision is off. Some of the levels aren't very artistic, but others are just beautiful and I want to replay them over and over again. The bosses as well have all been extremely interesting so far. The way the music integrates with the game just blows me away (even moreso than Lumines did).

In addition, the game includes the entire original freeware game as a playable extra.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devil Summoner
Contact

Oh man why did I spend all of my money? Why am I broke? Why did I quit my job to become a professional bumfuck?

On a side note, I just bought my first Criterion DVD. It was the last money I had to! Irony I tell you. It was Videodrome(2-Discs!) if anyone was curious.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Criterion DVD was The Royal Tennenbaums. Great movie.

I'm planning to buy the Criterion version of Chasing Amy when I have money. Wouldn't mind having the Kurosawa films they put out either.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Criterion was Seven Samurai. It was also like my 15th DVD. This was a long time ago.

I also had a few Janus VHS tapes I think, but I don't know if that counts.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first may have been Rashomon. Or Seven Samurai or Royal Tennenbaums. I don't quite remember.

I'd really like them to get to more work from Robert Bresson, Kenji Mizoguchi, Masaki Kobayashi, Jean-Pierre Melville and maybe the last few post-war Kurosawas.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on getting all the Ozu and I almost have them now.

Also Kurosawa, but I have quite a few of those (criterion and not).

Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm pretty much going to buy Rocket Slime and Pokémon Dungeon unless one of our local pretentious indie-gamer types can tell me whether either is utterly horrible, but who wants to tell me whether Okami is too Naviesque / pushy to be any fun? (Mind that Ocarina of Time is one of my least favorite Zelda games.)

Edit: But I like Wind Waker, so the Zeldaclone thing isn't a big deal.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local GameCrazy is taking pre-orders for the Family Guy game, and it looks like it might actually be an old-timey LucasArts style adventure with other gameplay elements embedded in. Might want to keep an eye out on that one. Now if only I liked Family Guy...
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god no one told me that Capcom Puzzle World for PSP has Super Puzzle Fighter II included.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that for my saturn, but I never really got into it. Mainly because I didn't bother learning how to play it and got owned in the first level. It sure LOOKED pretty radtastic. I think I'm going to make time this weekend to learn it.

I like Baku Baku! I want to find a copy of the saturn game.

In other nudes, I found out Contact is half the price of a normal new game here. I think I'm going to get two copies.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon is telling me Yggdra Union is a month late. I'm not sure if this is widespread (ie: contact) or just Amazon being slow. They're also not getting me the Devil May Cry anniversary set until next month either but that's just Amazon being slow (the price you pay for getting it $10 cheaper I guess).
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Amazon is telling me Yggdra Union is a month late.

According to GameStop/EB Yggdra Union is the 14th of November and Amazon has the 20th. Knowing it's from Atlus, there's a chance it might get pushed back by a week or two, meaning the most likely release date is some time between the Nov. 14th and early December.

If you're planning on buying it from EB I'd recommend maybe actually pre-ordering it because it just seems like one of those niche titles their buyers will grossly underestimate demand for (much like Godhand and Contact) and/or ship using a slow shipping method because nobody seems to care about it.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fry's just sent me a notice that their FFXII preorders are backordered (they had it for $40, no tax and free shipping), which I guess means they won't sent mine out immediately, which is fine. Gaming shortages around here aren't even visible on the horizon. Shit shit shit is my wallet being mangled lately, between the Toys r' Us buy 2 get 1 free (Clubhouse games, Harvest Moon DS, Super Mario World GBA) and this damnable google checkout deal (Scurge: Hive, Contact, Yggdra Union preorder), plus my intention of going to pick up Juka and place a Castlevania preorder tomorrow. Broke broke broke!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
FFXII preorders

Apparently the GameStop by my house is actually doing a midnight opening to sell the game. It's crazy!

Also: Circuit City's going to have it for $38.

Also: I saw the limited edition guide yesterday and my name's spelled wrong. Erhlichman instead of Ehrlichman Sad

-Wes

UPDATE: Looks like they spelled it right on the actual guide!

weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:
Amazon is telling me Yggdra Union is a month late.

According to GameStop/EB Yggdra Union is the 14th of November and Amazon has the 20th. Knowing it's from Atlus, there's a chance it might get pushed back by a week or two, meaning the most likely release date is some time between the Nov. 14th and early December.

If you're planning on buying it from EB I'd recommend maybe actually pre-ordering it because it just seems like one of those niche titles their buyers will grossly underestimate demand for (much like Godhand and Contact) and/or ship using a slow shipping method because nobody seems to care about it.

I've basically stopped buying games at retail but from Amazon or if there's a sale somewhere. I have this big order open with everything set to ship as soon as it comes out.

I preordered FFXII sometime back in August from Amazon and they still think it's shipping next week so I'm remaining optimistic.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Wes, I was at Gamestop today, standing next to a 3 foot stack of your babies, and I got to wondering: do you get any sort of percentage from sales? Cause I'd never buy one normally but if it's supporting you I might be down.

Semi-related: If I'm into FFXII 90% for Matsuno, 5% for the other guys that finished it, and 5% for Final Fantasy, would I be well served by the contents of the GS Special Edition?

Also: A glorious day in the used GBA section! Wade Hixton's Counter Punch and Ultimate Card Games! Zowee!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that some of these games got silently pushed back. Like Starcraft Ghost and Crystal Chronicles DS :(

simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I just noticed that some of these games got silently pushed back. Like Starcraft Ghost and Crystal Chronicles DS Sad

Well, Starcraft Ghost was actually quietly canceled, this past spring. So quietly that gamerankings still had it listed in September.

You know my new excitement? Chibi Robo: Park Patrol. Don't fuck it up guys!
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starcraft Ghost got canceled? What the shit, I've only been silently waiting for like two years to play it. Why did it get canceled? Duke Nukem Forever is supposedly still coming out but Ghost gets canceled. What kind of world are we living in?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, basically all their talent got sucked into World of Moneymakercraft.

I'm expecting World of Starcraft in the next three years.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost sounded a bit crap anyway. It's not the first time they've canned a game because it wasn't meeting their standards. Remember that Warcraft adventure game they were working on?
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost really had me excited cause Blizzard bought Swingin' Ape after Metal Arms to fix the project. So if its cancellation means the dissolution of that company, consider me bummed.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Ghost really had me excited cause Blizzard bought Swingin' Ape after Metal Arms to fix the project. So if its cancellation means the dissolution of that company, consider me bummed.

At least graphically speaking, Swingin' Ape actually made the game look worse.

But I thought most knew it was cancelled a while ago.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that Starcraft Ghost is still coming.

When Duke Nukem Forever comes out SC: Ghost will be the next DNF

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarCraft: Ghost was moved to next-gens and postponed indefinetly. It was a very sad day when I went to go pick up the money I had pre-ordered the game with a few months ago (I had pre-ordered it sometime during my sophomore year in high school if I remember correctly).

A close friend of mine who used to work at WCRadio (I think that's what it was called) got to miss a week of school to go to Blizzcon last year and was able to play Ghost multiplayer on Xbox. He said it was really, really good, and that's saying something because he doesn't really like console games at all besides Zelda.

There's a picture of him somewhere in front of the demo unit running Ghost, but the unit had crashed right before the picture was taken, so there's no actual gameplay in the photo.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Oh Wes, I was at Gamestop today, standing next to a 3 foot stack of your babies, and I got to wondering: do you get any sort of percentage from sales?

Nope! Since strategy guides sell based on their licensing and not their authors, authors no longer make percentages.

At the meeting we had I learned that the main author of this guide (Rick Barbara) worked on the guides for Doom and Myst way back in the day when they did make a cut. Imagine making just a small percentage of the Myst guide sales. Insane. Everyone who bought that game got the guide with it! That dude must have made bank!

simplicio wrote:
Semi-related: If I'm into FFXII 90% for Matsuno, 5% for the other guys that finished it, and 5% for Final Fantasy, would I be well served by the contents of the GS Special Edition?

I have no idea about the special edition. I don't think any of us ever saw it.

As for whether or not you should buy the guide, I think it depends on whether you're a completionist or not. The game's easy enough to get through without the guide, but there are a literal ton of secrets. There's just as much secret stuff as there is story stuff, and the story lasts between 70-90 hours. It's a long, long game that somehow manages to get deeper and better as you put more time into it. It's definately up there with my favorite Final Fantasy games/RPGs/games of all time.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, special editions are a scam. Get the normal one for $40 at outpost.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Man, special editions are a scam. Get the normal one for $40 at outpost.

I already did. But if the special actually contained a lot of Matsuno content I might consider it anyway.

No guide then; I've got no interest in that style of play, and if I did, gamefaqs is free.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamefaqs is free but having spent a good chunk of time trying to 100% Final Fantasy X-2 using the faqs posted there, I am fairly sure that might've gone much quicker had I gotten a guide. Mostly because a lot of the puzzles in FF games tend to be visual and people writing at a fifth grade level have trouble describing that sort of thing.
B coma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to a couple of people I know at least one of the dress sphere locations is omitted from the official X-2 guide. incidentally, the descriptions on how to get it in some of the faq's floating around are confusing at best.
antitype

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally broke! Augh! And I'm buying a car in a few weeks, so I'll be even more broke!

I am buying FFXII on Monday night, though — the EB near me is having a midnight opening, I believe (I need to call to make sure they're still doing it), so I'll be picking up my preorder. I've got the Special Edition all paid off, and who knows, it may be a scam, but if I'm not pleased with the extra features I'm sure I can just eBay it later and buy the standard edition while earning a profit.

This will be the last game I buy for about a month, which means I'll be forgoing the Wii until at least early December (and possibly buying a PS3 some time next year, as it's looking more and more tantalizing all the time despite its pricetag (I'm still vacillating on whether or not I actually want a 360)). I'm fine with this! I still have plenty of PS2 and DS games to play (not to mention all kinds of PSX, PC, GBA, SNES, etc. etc.), anyway. In fact, I should stop dinking around on the internet and play some more Contact right now.
Fred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my dear jebus how did I not hear about Contact? I will quit playing Okami and purchase this immediately. Do we have a thread for friend codes? I want to collect you all now. FOR MY HOUSE.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reactivated my gamefly account to rent contact, because it seems like the kind of game i'd like to play but not to own. and renting it for a month is half the price or less than buying it. i may rent god hand too, because i'd like to play that but i don't really have an ntsc-u ps2 right now and after lik-sang i'm really not interested in giving any money to sony.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute, contact has wifi gameplay?

*goes and picks up case from bookshellf and looks at it*

So it does!
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DS is lookin' mighty sexy right now. My collection is still a pithy 3 games: mario and luigi 2, metroid prime, and animal crossing. I'm eyeballing:

Final Fantasy III DS (I'm a self-professed Final Fantasy aficionado, can you imagine what playing new "classic" Final Fantasy to me is? The whole thing just speaks of sexiness)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (I never got it, and I ain't buying PoR w/o having played this)

Now, there's a few others, but I have quesitons:

Children of Mana/Mario Hoops--only wifi is local? The games seem great but I only have a few friends who have DS who would play that religiously, and I barely even hang out with them.

Hadn't heard of Rule of Rose--do tell. Intriguing.

I'll also have to suck some dick to purchase FFXII.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario Hoops wifi is local only, but don't buy it anyway! It's terrible!
Isfet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could probably skip Children of Mana also. it's not really very good. well, i guess that depends on what you like about the Mana series. the game is all combat, for the most part. you just go to dungeons and fight things, and the level design isn't even very interesting.

edit: looking back at what i wrote, it's sort of a very broad statement and i don't like it. what i mean is this: the focus of the game is on combat, but the combat system isn't very unique or interesting in any way. i enjoyed the exploration aspects of SD2, but LoM was also much more focused on going to areas and fighting than it was on exploration. CoM takes what LoM did and gets rid of anything that was sort of unique or interesting about it. it's fun for a few plays, but there's nothing that really demands your attention for much longer than that.
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone who is on the fence about Contact, please do yourself a favor and purchase/borrow/rent/beg/steal (I DO NOT CONDONE THIS!) it posthaste. It is weird and different while somehow remaining very very familiar, and it's damn funny to boot.

Someday soon I'll try to set up my WiFi adaptor and then I'll be down with the friend code swapping thing.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact just came in the mail for me a couple days ago from Amazon. I was out of town, though, and now I have two challenging papers to write, the GRE in a couple days, and a Teach for America application due. Oh, and ultimate tryouts.

In a week and a half, though, I will be wifi'd the fuck up and ready to do whatever it is you do in Contact on wifi.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke my rules and opened Contact last night. I played it for half an hour and fell in love.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamefly mailed out my copy yesterday. i'm excited!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the first few hours, Contact becomes pretty terrible. The first few hours are wonderful, but after that the game seems dead set on forcing the player through tedium.

Good pacing throughout could have made Contact a must-have DS game, but what's there is slightly better than broken.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll hold off on buying it, then. Or maybe not. I really like the idea of collecting your friends, then being killed by them:

Quote:
Let me explain how wifi works: you have to get someone's friend code, you have to give that person yours, you then have to be on wifi at the same time and connect with each other. After thats done, you then go back to the single player game, haul ship to "Wifi Island", track down the person you connected with in a cave (they're represented by a non playable character) and they'll give you an item. The first few times you give into the urge to try this, it might cross your mind as something cool. Once you see all the trouble you went through for the second rate, thrift shop items you receive, you'll think otherwise. Sometimes you will run into a surly NPC who will kill you. All of that trouble for a jar of spilt milk and sour grapes.

Then again, I am secretly a sadist.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that Toups ended up really enjoying the game

GSL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really liking it. I'm several hours in and have yet to see any signs of tedium. It's such a different title that I'm having a really hard time articulating what it is, exactly, that I love so about it. People on the fence about the title should give themselves the benefit of trying it, as my impression so far has been that the things I love about the game are often what people choose to complain about.

If that makes any sense.
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have The Guild 2, sequel to one of my favoritest games ever, but it's PC DVD and my laptop is the only system with a DVD drive. My laptop was never intended as a gaming machine, either. Boo! This and Medieval 2 make me want to get a new system. Need to hold out.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is like my childhood put on a disc. What? A team of Captain America, Moonknight, Iron Man, and Deadpool? Yes, I do believe I will partake.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact is boring the shit out of me.

Also Okami should have been over about 10 hours ago or so.

-seryogin
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Also Okami should have been over about 10 hours ago or so.

You're at the 12 hour point?

Ok, I kid, seriously though, where are you?

Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern snowy-land place. Around 30 hours. Would've made a nice 20-hour game, now it's just draaaaggin' on.

-seryogin
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you know you still have quite a bit to do right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: