The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FFXII [now updated with more rancor]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: FFXII [now updated with more rancor] Reply with quote

I was just reading Penny Arcade's comments and comic on FFXII's super-programmable characters. After reading more about the game itself and the Gambit system, I have to think: why? Why?

I don't like controlling and managing anyone in any game besides me; I find standard, three- or four-person RPG parties tedious as it is. That being said, why on Earth would I want to micro-manage—nay, program!?—other characters in a videogame to, you know, do something? Isn't that the programmer's job? Is this Square-Enix's school lesson about how difficult it is to program competent AI?

The whole idea seems completely ridiculous. Wes, as someone who's played through FFXII, what do you think?

Last edited by Lestrade on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: FFXII Gambit System - Revolution or Bullshit? Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
The whole idea seems completely ridiculous. Wes, as someone who's played through FFXII, what do you think?

I was going to say, I hope this isn't going to turn into one of those "I heard about this concept and I absolutely hate it! (Never tried it, though...)" threads. I mean, I love the Penny Arcade guys, and 9 times out of 10 their opinions on games are spot on, but every so often a bit too much snarky vitriol creeps into the posts, and it certainly shows. The way the news post read, of course the Gambit System sounded like a lousy idea--but looking through that 1Up.com essay that PA linked, which was written with a bit less attention to sarcasm and passive-aggressive series-bashing, it actually sounds like it could be a fairly interesting affair.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it initially sounds sort of terrible, but in practice having semi-automated battles actually works really well. I was reading somewhere that FFXII initially began as an MMO game, and that inspiration is easily seen in both the gameplay and the game length. Because it didn't end up being an online game Matsuno and his team had to come up with a different way of doing things.

Their solution was to replace the other players with NPCs that you control yourself by creating their AI routines: The Gambit system. By doing things this way you're given the benefits of multi-character strategy without the hassle of relying on people who are constatly running around calling you a homo and stealing your gear. In practice, it's only slightly different from games like X-Men Legends, where your NPCs follow you around and attack on their own. The most significant difference is that in FFXII you can actually anticipate their actions because you've programmed them yourself. That and, uhh, the AI routines are run by the entire party instead of just secondary characters. The important part is that the strategy is still there.

I've talked about this before, but the fun of Final Fantasy battles doesn't come from selecting what you want from a menu - it comes from developing and implementing strategies that evolve as your skills increase. The FFXII battle system is completely focused on this type of strategy, almost to the point where it feels like a tactics game. Actually, many of the strategies in FFT still apply in XII, but on a toned-down scale. I'd give specific examples, but I think that might be breaking my NDA. Trust me when I say that there is some absolutely insane detail to be found in some of the things that effect the amount of damage your characters do.

With each battle, you're watching what works and doesn't, trying to figure out a way to maximize your character's efficiency, constantly trying to decide which way you should evolve your characters and after they finally reach the next step in their evolution, the whole process starts over again. It wouldn't work if the game wasn't paced in such a perfect way, but it's so well-balanced that you're always making important decisions.

It's true that a lot of people aren't going to "get" it, but these people are the ones looking at the "how" of RPGs instead of the "why." Final Fantasy keeps a lot of the "whys," but completely changes the "hows," successfully removing many of the abstractions that have existed in the genre ever since Dragon Quest 1. The misconception Penny Arcade has is that removing the menus themselves will somehow change what they represent.

If you're still on the fence about the whole thing you should probably also be aware that the Gambit system can be disabled on-the-fly on a character by character basis, leaving you free to make every single decision for yourself. If you decide to do this you'll learn really quick why the Gambit System was a good idea. The game just moves too fast to do everything yourself.

I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks when they finally get a chance to play it. Another one of the authors - a "Professional Street Fighter player" - mentioned that it's his favorite Final Fantasy since VI. I'm inclined to agree with him!

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played enough Dragon Quest VIII, I'm actually looking forward to the Gambit system. The thing with the AI in DQ8 was it was smart, but never smart enough to do what I wanted. Maybe it's because I have a background in computer programming, but the idea of setting conditions for actions sounds really ideal for me.

Then again I'm also bad at RPGs in that I almost always focus on one or two characters and let the rest of my part waste away until that no longer works and I have to spend hours grinding to get the rest of my party up to the same level as my main character.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having played enough Dragon Quest VIII, I'm actually looking forward to the Gambit system. The thing with the AI in DQ8 was it was smart, but never smart enough to do what I wanted. Maybe it's because I have a background in computer programming, but the idea of setting conditions for actions sounds really ideal for me.
Definitely. I'd much rather play a tactician than a babysitter.

Did I ever post about how much I think Civ could be improved by completely removing the units and automating engineering and military action based on player directives?
Faithless

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game is making me cry. It's actually so beautiful, it brought me to tears. I don't know when the last time that happened was.

I don't like the music as much, though.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:
This game is making me cry. It's actually so beautiful, it brought me to tears. I don't know when the last time that happened was.

So, I take it that it's good then?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IGN wrote:
a REVOLUTIONARY system with INSANE amounts of depth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IGN are very, very silly.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
IGN are very, very silly.

IGN is the only site on the internet asides from 4chan to consistently make me LOLZ indiscriminately.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy a 360 just yet! You can still pre-order a PS3!
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did I ever post about how much I think Civ could be improved by completely removing the units and automating engineering and military action based on player directives?

Macromanagement! Is this the same thing?
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

The wife and I started a game of Final Fantasy XII last night fo' realz, and man were we disapointed. To me it did everything wrong; despite the fact that the game started off with several minutes of beautiful but predictable CG (is it Lord of the Rings or is it Star Wars?), it literally put my wife to sleep with more pointless backstory in the form of a freaking history lesson! For those who enjoy watching A&E relentlessly during War Campaign Month, this might prove fascinating; to my wife and I, it was mind-numbing. We just skipped it after a point.

Once in the game itself, FFXII continued down the dark path: a tutorial level, the most uninteresting level design I've ever seen, and a battle system I actually hate more than the turn-based battles of old. I can't believe I'm saying that, but it's true! After a few minutes with the battle system, I said to my (sleeping) wife: "So now the battle system takes the worst of both worlds (a repetitive real-time world and aggravating wait-and-see menu-hunting) and makes an even worse game out of it! I think I'd rather just play FFIV on the Game Boy."

After more heady story and goddamn history lessons (Start, then X to skip), we were in the game proper. My god, it was everything I hate about games. It was WOW with uncomfortable control and a city comprised of hard, right angles. It was the last straw for RPGs. By the time I was sent on a fetch quest to kill an evil tomato in the desert, I was ready to throw in the towel. Once I entered the desert, and had this vision of doing this exact same task for 40 more hours, I turned off the game and went to bed.

It's true! Final Fantasy is official over.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the leaked version or for some organization?
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep going. I promise you this game is UNBELIEVABLY GOOD and I haven't finished an RPG since the PS2 came out. The battle system doesn't really make sense until you've got more than one character and you can turn gambits on (soon!), but when it does, you'll see how crazy painless and efficient it is. The tomato thing is just another tutorial. FF is dead, but OGRE BATTLE FUCKING LIVES.

(Also the dude reciting backstory is actually a significant character you'll meet and deal with in the game so in this sense it's actually upfront story exposition so YEAH)

edit: I mean. Okay. Tutorials suck. But as you go further in, you're gonna see that compared to previous games, this one's surprisingly complex and involved, and it's trying to do it's best to ease you in slowly. There is a LOT to take in once you hit the point where you can basically build characters as you like (not too far off!).
Fred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the story? And character development? Does it follow the theme of the last three games with the "EMO BOY UNEARTHS APOCALYPTIC REPUBLICAN CONSPIRACY, SAVES WORLD WITH HELP FROM RAG-TAG BAND OF STEREOTYPES" or are they doing something new finally?
Sushi d

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
How is the story? And character development? Does it follow the theme of the last three games with the "EMO BOY UNEARTHS APOCALYPTIC REPUBLICAN CONSPIRACY, SAVES WORLD WITH HELP FROM RAG-TAG BAND OF STEREOTYPES" or are they doing something new finally?

"EMO BOY DRAGGED ALONG IN THE UNEARTHING OF APOCALYPTIC EMPIRICAL CONSPIRACY, HELPS SAVE THE WORLD ALONG WITH A RAG-TAG BAND OF STEREOTYPES"
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know what constitutes "good story" in console RPGs. We accept that they're not Planescape or Baldur's Gate--they're not even attempting to approach that.

So, my question is, what is a "good" RPG story? Something that's more "realistic?" How exactly do you mak ea wonderful, in-depth story when the premise is an adventure in a world where dragons and men walk the same ground? Again: being an adventure, it can't be a hilariously sarcastic situational-comedy or a stunning drama. God forbid it tries to spin something that isn't the same trite DW1 shit, though.

I mean, FFVIII's story really wasn't that bad. It gets a lot of flak, but I demand an alternative to what we were given. If you can't come up with one, I suggest you clam up. If all that cruft hadn't been there it wouldn't have been Final Fantasy and it wouldn't have been fun. It would be...Dragon Warrior!

Yeah, so moral of the story: why would you expect Shakespeare going into a console RPG? Your sophistry precludes actually having fun, because it really is there.

Oh, and on the A&E comment: While I don't specifically, I was the guy who wanted to skip the gameplay in Xenosaga so I could just watch the cut-scenes. So I don't mind, really.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
How exactly do you make a wonderful, in-depth story when the premise is an adventure in a world where dragons and men walk the same ground?

If you're going to scream sophistry in relation to people finding the same hackneyed anime tripe being served to them laughable, then I'm going to call sophistry on the notion that setting will define and/or limit depth of character or story. Choosing a fantasy setting over a modern realist one isn't any excuse for poor writing. It's almost insulting that you'd suggest certain genres deserve more slack, as if they're somehow less important.

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
FFVIII's story really wasn't that bad. It gets a lot of flak, but I demand an alternative to what we were given.

Berzerk.

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Yeah, so moral of the story: why would you expect Shakespeare going into a console RPG?

I don't because console RPGs are probably one of the worst ways video games have found to tell a story. And they're generally not fun or engrossing in the slightest. Yet they seem obsessed with trying to build tales which aren't worth hearing about and jar with what meagre amounts of gameplay they have.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my barometer is pretty useless at this point as for what constitutes a good story/character development in a jRPG

It seems pretty alright, though! It's kind of reminiscent of FFVI except in a setting and with people.

The dialogue's pretty decent, too! With the translation, even!

Can we filter "emo" into something suitably mean? I'm really getting sick of that word.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Everything Dracko just wrote.

Yes.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emo => po-mo?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Can we filter "emo" into something suitably mean? I'm really getting sick of that word.

Wait, emo's not a good thing? I guess I've been out of high school for too long.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
So, my question is, what is a "good" RPG story? Something that's more "realistic?" How exactly do you make a wonderful, in-depth story when the premise is an adventure in a world where dragons and men walk the same ground? Again: being an adventure, it can't be a hilariously sarcastic situational-comedy or a stunning drama. God forbid it tries to spin something that isn't the same trite DW1 shit, though.

While I hold videogame writing at a lower standard than pretty much every other medium (I mean, I enjoy God Hand’s writing and it is pretty freaking terrible, yet hilarious in being that bad), I think that the main problem is that RPG writing is far too clichéd. For example, Wes told me the other night that Phantasy Star Universe’s story starts out with the main character starting his quest because he hates his dad.

Teen angst has become a very common theme in jRPGs. Make a list of most post-2D jRPGs and you will find that many of them have this exact theme, especially the more popular ones. Aside from those who most enjoy the genre we are left no longer caring about empathizing with a hate filled teenager anymore.

Also, there is a huge amount of stealing involved. Most of it is from Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest if it’s not one of those already. The amount of original settings in most jRPGs is low. On top of that the art style and direction is heavily anime, but also that it is all very similar, and it has been going on for near a decade. What was once new is now an old hat. I mean there is a reason that the back of the Contact box says what it does.

Add to all these things a lineage of sub-par writing in general and you have a perfect formula for jaded gamers. The worst part is that the writing has somewhat improved in very recent years, but it was too little too late in quite a few cases.

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
I mean, FFVIII's story really wasn't that bad. It gets a lot of flak, but I demand an alternative to what we were given. If you can't come up with one, I suggest you clam up. If all that cruft hadn't been there it wouldn't have been Final Fantasy and it wouldn't have been fun. It would be...Dragon Warrior!

Jeremy Parish explains this best, but I’ll just say that for the past 4 years or so that I haven’t been able to remember more than a few things about the plot of FFVII.

Oh wait, VIII! Nevermind. Um, well, whats wrong with it is that it is way too predictable. The characters act in a way that is just irritating. And, well, it’s not very interesting. I tried to play it about 8 months ago and just couldn’t. The combat (read: menus) is confusing to get set up (it really feels like it needs a walkthrough included with it), and mildly difficulty to keep track of. Too much to keep track of, combined with a predictable story that was about as engaging as a soap opera, and over forty hours of game play made me give up at about the 25 hour point.

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Yeah, so moral of the story: why would you expect Shakespeare going into a console RPG? Your sophistry precludes actually having fun, because it really is there.

What’s wrong with expecting at least a professional level of writing? Many jRPGs aren’t that much better than well written fan-fictions. I don’t think anyone is expecting Shakespeare level of writing, but no one is expecting R.L. Stine anymore. Can’t we at least move up to Michael Criton?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can emo be filtered to "mopey" ? or how about "eyore" ?

wouldn't it be great if someone made a jrpg where the protagonist was a father who hates his son? that sound you hear is a paradigm shifting, baby!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I don't because console RPGs are probably one of the worst ways video games have found to tell a story. And they're generally not fun or engrossing in the slightest. Yet they seem obsessed with trying to build tales which aren't worth hearing about and jar with what meagre amounts of gameplay they have.

I disagree. I think the console RPG is probably the best way the medium has to tell a story that has nothing to do with a video game. Unlike every other genre, RPGs can do pretty much anything without letting the gameplay dictate the story's direction. That's the reason crummy wanna-be Anime story lines have clung to the genre. They don't have to make compromises in order to become a videogame.

The problem is that storytelling that doesn't take interactivity into consideration just isn't very well suited to videogames. If it's got to be done though, there are much worse ways to shoehorn a story into a game than through a jRPG.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Dracko wrote:

I disagree. I think the console RPG is probably the best way the medium has to tell a story that has nothing to do with a video game. Unlike every other genre, RPGs can do pretty much anything without letting the gameplay dictate the story's direction. That's the reason crummy wanna-be Anime story lines have clung to the genre. They don't have to make compromises in order to become a videogame.

The problem is that storytelling that doesn't take interactivity into consideration just isn't very well suited to videogames. If it's got to be done though, there are much worse ways to shoehorn a story into a game than through a jRPG.

-Wes

My favorite game of all time is Double Dragon II because it's gameplay and story gel so well, it's almost frightening. Sure, the story isn't particularly fascinating (girlfriend is murdered, boys seek vengeance, adventure ensues) on the surface level, but the real meat of the game is that you are a pair of badasses fighting an uphill battle. If you don't know what you're doing, you'll end up mashing a lot of buttons, but if you're skilled you'll be calm, composed, and kicking a lot of ass. And isn't that the kind of subtle, interesting stories that only videogames can tell?

I think that, yeah, on the metalevel that the scenario can be written out beforehand and a game developer can deliver an interesting story from an outside perspective and then throw down a menu based RPG system that doesn't get in the way of telling that story, but I also think that videogame stories go much deeper than that. Resdent Evil 4 does it all the time with it's QTEs. "Something completely fucked up happens, can you respond in time with the right move?" That's all it asks. It takes less than a few seconds, but it's totally impactual on the game.

Look at a game like Earthbound. The game is an adventure about exploration and growth. Menu based RPG is perfect for that kind of game. Imagine if it went Super jRPG and added PSY EGGS and TECH POINTS and blah blah blah... it'd be a little bloated. Sometimes you want those extra bullet points on the back of the game box. Just like sometimes you want the girl with the fake tits. But a lot of the time it's a little too gaudy, and you definitely can't take her home to mom.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just awesome. Desktop picture!
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Dracko wrote:

Those would have been my counter-arguments. Stories in their own right are all well and good, but if you can't make the gameplay react accordingly, you probably should have been writing a novel or making a film instead. It's poor game design, and by extension then, poor story-telling, which doesn't use the medium to the best of its abilities.

And I'd rather see game developers make compromises if it means potentially better, or at least far more unique, stories.

Emo is one of those words which has lost its meaning, even by reason of irony. As much as I hate melodrama, I can't stand people misconstruing depression for it. Teen angst is hamy and embarassing, but pretty much unevitable on some level.

Seconding the eyore word filter. And the appeal to filicide stories.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you're going to scream sophistry in relation to people finding the same hackneyed anime tripe being served to them laughable, then I'm going to call sophistry on the notion that setting will define and/or limit depth of character or story. Choosing a fantasy setting over a modern realist one isn't any excuse for poor writing. It's almost insulting that you'd suggest certain genres deserve more slack, as if they're somehow less important.

Did I say they had depth? Why would you go to a vaudeville show and expect something realistic? Expectation of some standard can ruin art; this idea that Final Fantasy stories aren't "deep enough" is lame because there's nothing else they could really be. Linear RPGs are necessarily a certain way--that attracts some and repels others. They don't have the 89 hours of playtime that Western RPGs tend to have; to me, it's like being taken for a ride. "It's about the massage, not the message." It's not the most edifying experience for sure, but it certainly is enjoyable and does what it should.

Mystical hero genres don't deserve more "slack." They deserve to be judged from a different standpoint. What do you think of the Illiad? Epic as it may be, it skips around a lot--makes sweeping statements and often uses what we might consider trite plot devices. Except, it's still brilliant. Adventure stories have to be made a different way. The entire idea of the "classic" RPG is a "hero" quest. How varied can you honestly make the "hero" archetype in this context? Heroes are unrealistic by default. There are certain genres/styles that are so limiting that they really can't be many other ways. Re: ska, death metal, SHMUPs, sitcoms. And yet, none of that implies that they're really "bad," either (though the argument could be made).

This is all besides the fact that the perspective of most jRPGs is that the story is a superficial layer; the gameplay (levelling up, customizing your characters, changing jobs, etc) is what's really being paraded. Why don't we give Metal Slug shit for having a crappy story? Because...no one really thinks it's an important factor in considering the overall worth of the game. I think there's this idea that RPGs are judged solely on story, but if it's got a brilliant story and is completely unfun, would you play it? I doubt it. The story is there for the ride. The only reason anyone has ever even thought the stories are that important is because of a fierce army of fanboys who, devoid of real taste, obsess over every piece of history to these games.

What about the "airship" concept in jRPGs? It's not a story element, it's a game element, with a story tacked on to make sense. You expect to travel to diverse locales and fight all kinds of monsters and have it segue somehow...more elegantly? Deus Ex Machina is a staple of the genre, and I don't think anyone denies it.

Quote:
I think that the main problem is that RPG writing is far too clichéd.

What was clichéd about FFVIII? It was, admittedly, kind of ridiculous at points, but the entire philosophy behind the game was "let's make something different." That might be a bad thing in some peoples' eyes--but it's been awhile since I've played. If you can come up with a counter-example, slap me with a trout.

Quote:

Also, there is a huge amount of stealing involved. Most of it is from Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest if it’s not one of those already. The amount of original settings in most jRPGs is low.

I don't think I'm being understood here: I'm not defending hack videogames. I'm not defending perfunctorily planned, unfun bullshit. I'm defending specific games that I actually believe have many merits and are cast aside for no real reason at all. The genre is limiting, but that doesn't excuse...I donno. Quest 64.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
What was clichéd about FFVIII?

People don't complain about FFVIII because of its story. They complain about it because it has terrible, terrible, arbitrary, broken systems piled on top of each other to create something that's somehow both needlessly complex and mind numbingly simple at the same time. The game couldn't have been saved by the best writing of all time.

Also, the basic premise is pretty cliché. I mean, it's about an anime schoolboy and his relationship with his friends and rivals who eventually gets called to a higher purpose and has to save the world. It's the same premise as Naruto, Harry Potter, Evangelion, etc. etc.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Linear RPGs are necessarily a certain way--that attracts some and repels others.
... ...

There are certain genres/styles that are so limiting that they really can't be many other ways. Re: ska, death metal, SHMUPs, sitcoms.

All of this strikes me as alarmingly complacent thought.

Without being any kind of Homeric scholar or having played very many jrpg's, I say with less confidence that I think your understanding of how archetypes and, more specifically, the archetypal hero can be used is limited. To speak very broadly, genre conventions can be subverted, archetypes can be embedded in alien contexts, and epics can be mocked and parodied. These kinds of narrative devices can make writing much better in any medium. And your use of the words "varied" and "unrealistic" as antonyms is just plain wrong.

That being said, keep in mind that I bear no grudges against the rpg genre and the stories therein because I have little background in them.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To speak very broadly, genre conventions can be subverted, archetypes can be embedded in alien contexts, and epics can be mocked and parodied.

Of course the genres are malleable--my point was that when a game does fall into the "classic" formula, it's not necessarily uncreative. I could have mentioned Deus Ex--an example of what you were talking about, except, I wasn't talking about the "capability" to mesh genres at all (notice the phrase "linear RPGs," which has an adjective specifically restricting what I'm referring to).

If you deliberately stay within the slightly ambiguous confines of your genre (final fantasy) and still manage to pull it off, I give you credit. The story is good as long as it doesn't have plot holes bigger than your house. Deus Ex is an example of a game with a pretty decently pulled off dystopian/sci-fi concept.

What's the adage? "Believable, not realistic?" Internal consistency is really all that matters, unless it's somehow purporting to reflect real life accurately.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is much more reasonable perspective. The train of thought still seems a little unambitious to me, but I think that's because I am making an assumption that the stories don't excel within their genres. Pretty unfair of me.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember the last time i bought a final fantasy game. it was almost as exciting as this. holy shit. i'm fucking psyched. oh my god. i am going to play this until i pass out. intermitently i will write about it. it will be glroiousl.dflaskdhflsakdjf kthxbye

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a horrible feeling that tomorrow is going to involve me attempting to track down this game despite not having preordered it. This feeling is extra-horrible because I now realize that my ace in the hole for heavily-desired games, the Toys-R-Us in Emeryville, is now a Babys-R-Us.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, people in IRC have been coming back from midnight opening events.

That's trouble!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I've talked about this before, but the fun of Final Fantasy battles doesn't come from selecting what you want from a menu - it comes from developing and implementing strategies that evolve as your skills increase. The FFXII battle system is completely focused on this type of strategy, almost to the point where it feels like a tactics game. Actually, many of the strategies in FFT still apply in XII, but on a toned-down scale. I'd give specific examples, but I think that might be breaking my NDA. Trust me when I say that there is some absolutely insane detail to be found in some of the things that effect the amount of damage your characters do.

When does this start happening, exactly? I was pretty psyched at first, but now Vaan's level 20, I've had my first summon for a while now, and I've settled into a strategy where I use the same three characters all the time: two of them attack, the other heals. The game is giving me no reason to deviate from this tactic, which sucks 'cause it's incredibly dull.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHL tried to deliver my copy this morning before 10:30 am and I wasn't awake, but they didn't leave it on my porch so I have to wait for tomorrow them to try again ;_;
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squidlarkin wrote:
When does this start happening, exactly?

Well, the game's about 90 hours long, and you're maybe 10 in. The first taste of difficulty is the optional battle with the Bomb King, and starts ramping up overall about the time you hit Phon Coast. That's a bit misleading as overall it's not a hard game, but it does encourage you to try different strategies so you don't end up wasting time/items. Also, some of the later bosses can be really, really tough.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scratchmonkey: Frys has FFXII for $38 as well, I don't know how many there are up in the east bay.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't picked up FFXII since I wrote my post. I wanted to the other day, but I think that desire is gone.

I'm thinking about playing FFIV through again, incidentally. Or at least starting it and playing it until I get bored. That is more my type of RPG; linear and simple, yet solid all the way through. I wish it was available via XBLA though (I wish everything was!).
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah; even though FFIV certianly isn't my favorite Final Fantasy, as soon as it came out for GBA I bought it. It's a game I have this nostalgic love for, and aint a bad way to pass the time in school or wherever else.

Personally, that's why I usually find myself buying RPG/strategy games for handhelds--I want something I can pick up again and again, slowly chipping away at it. Just ordered Advance Wars DS and Final Fantasy III DS, for example.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Hey Scratchmonkey: Frys has FFXII for $38 as well, I don't know how many there are up in the east bay.

None! The closest one is the the one down in San Jose. And really, it may be an indictment of how lazy I am, the price difference doesn't really offset driving from El Cerrito to San Jose versus going to the Gamestop that's 5 minutes away from my house and that I was going by anyway.

Conveinence or death!

I'm enjoying the heck out of the game so far. I don't really get the "this isn't Final Fantasy" comments that I'm seeing from many people, it's deffo Final Fantasy through and through*, it's just done really well. Less cutscenes would be nice though.

* - I could hear Faithless having noisy orgasms all the way through the intro movie.
B coma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I agree that this feels very much like an FF game. I mean, it starts out a bit differently than most of them do, but when you have that cutscene where Fran and Balthier cruise in on their hovercycle, and you've never seen them to this point, but it's clear that they are there to kick ass - followed an hour or so later by Vaan's emotional explosion at a certain important character - I mean, the game is hemorrhaging the series heritage by this point.

The music is less catchy, but hey. Even in that respect the soundtrack feels a continuation FFT games, which is appropriate given it's the same universe.
Isfet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far i'm enjoying the game pretty much all around. i'm sort of waiting for it to pick up a bit, though (however, i've maybe put in 5 hours or so). what i've played hasn't turned me off at all, and i really see the potential for the game to become a lot of fun once i'm into it. the speed of battles is really nice. it reminds me of games i've played, but done in a more precise way. i'm kind of excited to get to the point where i can buy gambits. now, question: do you just buy gambits, or do you have to unlock them on the lisence board as well?

i think the thing with the music in this one is that it's a bit more like a movie soundtrack. actually, a lot about this game comes off as more theatrical than the previous games. the cuts, the direction, the "camera" angles and the music all sort of seem more in line with cinema than with the way most video games handle their cutscenes. Uematsu's music is typically like the equivalent of a radio single. rarely does he make a track that's really expansive and flows with the action on screen. typically it's like you're playing a game while listening to some fairly catchy songs on a mix CD you have.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Babys-R-Us.

Well at least you can still get Nintendo games there *rimshot*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: