The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

campaigning via second life?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: campaigning via second life? Reply with quote

http://gamepolitics.livejournal.com/351728.html

huh.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second Life creeps me the hell out.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister sent me an invite to Second Life a few months ago. I have yet to register and check it out, though some of the things I've read about it on the internet have me intrigued. Virtual economies and all that jazz. From the looks of it, the game sounds like the internet in a nutshell.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a cool idea i like reading about but would never actually want to experience firsthand.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday I plan on trying it out long enough to write a few articles about it for GQ. It seems ripe for that sort of thing.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
From the looks of it, the game sounds like the internet in a nutshell.

That's... yeah. My wife gave it a try the other day, and came away with the impression that everyone on it either wants to sell you something or have their polygons fuck your polygons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah. That's the object of the game.

I can't find it right now, but there used to be a blog in which the guy posted reviews of the various in-game prostitutes he hired (one or two of which charged as much real money as the real thing would cost you). Interesting reading, but... yeah. Wouldn't want to live there.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think half of all new games journalism is about second life.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think writing about MMOs is uninspired and non-creative fanfiction, not journalism, new or old. I question whether they're even games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for that, then.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey J.Goodwin care to write an article about that for us?

Also whenever anyone mentions journalism around here it's usually in an ironic manner. We're all just internet smart asses, you see.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no let's all take mr. goodwin's opinion very seriously, he's smarter and better informed than us.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyhoooooo, there's an interesting nugget in this particular article about the creation of a PAC. now, online pac's aren't that rare nowadays, but a game-based one? that's beyond rare into wizard-fighting-dragon-bong land. that's interesting.

presuming it doesn't get mccainfeingolded (tm) into the ground, this could go in a few directions - second life real-time debates, fundraising, "townhall" meetings, the inevitable splinter groups.

swift pixels for truth, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
presuming it doesn't get mccainfeingolded (tm) into the ground, this could go in a few directions - second life real-time debates, fundraising, "townhall" meetings, the inevitable splinter groups.

It is an interesting idea, but the wrong implementation for the simple reason that Mark Warner is running for President of the United States of America, a country that is three hundred million people strong. Second Life has a population in the tens of thousands, and they aren't all even US citizens. Granted, there are some very well-connected people among them--including, apparently, one of Warner's campaign staffers. But even in the new, "cyber-shotgun" approach to Internet-based fundraising in the Dean DNC, I don't think it is as substantial a use of the Internet in political discourse as, say, local party organizations using Myspace and Facebook to organize rallies and recruit volunteers.

A much better example of the concept is the Korean online site Cyworld, a sort of lo-fi Metaverse with an estimated population of eighteen million members--that's out of a global pool of seventy-eight million Korean speakers. A number of politicians have used it to speak directly to the people, with sometimes mixed results. But it is playing a significant role in forming public thought in South Korea, and demonstrates the potency of the medium, not just to facilitate but also to influence political discourse.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Hey J.Goodwin care to write an article about that for us?
No thanks, I think the manic-depressive swearing indian has the lunatic fringe all wrapped up for you already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A much better example of the concept is the Korean online site Cyworld, a sort of lo-fi Metaverse with an estimated population of eighteen million members--that's out of a global pool of seventy-eight million Korean speakers. A number of politicians have used it to speak directly to the people, with sometimes mixed results. But it is playing a significant role in forming public thought in South Korea, and demonstrates the potency of the medium, not just to facilitate but also to influence political discourse.

that's good to know. one of the potential futures beyond having a glorified online paypal tip jar. i don't know if the mmo's will continue to grow in america like they have in korea, since sheer volume is, as you pointed out, the primary factor in having any impact.

more important than all of this is, of course, the potential for CYBERSCANDAL (cyber-gate?) in the future. aim chat logs. or a future candidate getting caught soliciting sex second life! how great would that be?

Quote:
No thanks, I think the manic-depressive swearing indian has the lunatic fringe all wrapped up for you already.

our lunatic fringe is greater than you could ever imagine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
I think writing about MMOs is uninspired and non-creative fanfiction, not journalism, new or old. I question whether they're even games.

I think posting one-line discarding criticisms of an entire genre is itself uninspired and uncreative. It's not clever, new or old. I question whether it's even worth posting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You're not Gonzo, are you?

Fucking Gonzo. I don't pay you to get stoned and write about it, you understand me?
If you ever hand me some fucking travesty about peyote and quaaludes and Mexican transvestites, I will strangle you like a goddamittin' parakeet.
I will twist your head off. Clean. Off.

And I will do it over the phone.

Everyone will be amazed."
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:

True dat, man! How could anything that lets thousands of people exist and compete within the same universe be considered a game?

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't piss on Hunter S. Thompson's grave Sad
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I do that when he doesn't have one?
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His metaphorical, literary, artistic grave, you semantifuck.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:
I think posting one-line discarding criticisms of an entire genre is itself uninspired and uncreative. It's not clever, new or old. I question whether it's even worth posting.
How true. Thankfully, I have a habit of stating the obvious and not much giving a shit.
Quote:
our lunatic fringe is greater than you could ever imagine.
Well, I was specifically speaking for myself as a representative of the lunatic fringe as I know it. I don't have anything new to add to your existing collection of looneys.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
I don't have anything new to add to your existing collection of looneys.

agreed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
How true. Thankfully, I have a habit of stating the obvious and not much giving a shit.

Okay, no seriously, I'll bite.

Please explain why your one-line criticism of MMO's is so obvious that you not only have no need to back it up with any reasoning, but that you can discard any criticism of your criticism with "I don't much give a shit", as if to indicate you've somehow already been proven right by your own casual arrogance on the issue.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
semantifuck

is a great band name.

they could go on tour with the alaskan tittytwisters.

edit: and this fucking guy!

now, if mitt romney ever joined second life i'd get an account so i could explain to him - in real time - that his use of "orwellian" when reference stem cell research is erroneous. he meant to say "brave new worldish" which no one does cause, like, that sounds terrible. huxlean is awful too.

and cause, like, stem cells don't have much to do with deltas and epsilons. and there's no socially enforced polygamy. but still, we all knew what he meant, and for english, that's good enough.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to be an elitist pedant whenever someone uses orwellian like it's a real adjective and use zamyatinian instead.

KNOW YOUR ROOTS!
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
[y]our one-line criticism of MMO's is so obvious that you not only have no need to back it up with any reasoning, [y]ou can discard any criticism of your criticism with "I don't much give a shit", as if to indicate you've somehow already been proven right by your own casual arrogance on the issue.
You're making my point.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I like to be an elitist pedant whenever someone uses orwellian like it's a real adjective and use zamyatinian instead.

KNOW YOUR ROOTS!

1. Orwellian is a real adjective.
2. I think its correct usage has a meaning specific to situations from 1984. It just isn't correct to use it as an umbrella term for anything dystopian.
3. Now that I think about it, I haven't ever actually used the word 'orwellian' ever, correctly or incorrectly. I'm not sure why I'm defending it now.
4. We fucking rocks. And Zamyatin and Orwell have in common that they were both communists who disdained the Soviet implementation of communism. Some of Zamyatin's earlier short fiction before he became disillusioned is very different from We.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
You're making my point.

Through the amazing power of selective editing?

No seriously, what the fuck. I've read your posts in other threads. You're clearly an intelligent person with considerable gaming experience. Why the fuck make such a retarded comment and then play this dumb game instead of just explaining yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. goodwin, stop being a cock or just leave already.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
I think its correct usage has a meaning specific to situations from 1984. It just isn't correct to use it as an umbrella term for anything dystopian.

Which is, unfortunately, how it's generally used. It's hardly a summation of Orwell's entire body of work, but the thing I dread is that it assumes as such. It's a very debatable adjective, is all.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the other hand, everyone knows what you mean when you say it.

in some ways it is hilariously orwellian that a politician uses "orwellian" incorrectly.

in others, not so much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Which is, unfortunately, how it's generally used. It's hardly a summation of Orwell's entire body of work, but the thing I dread is that it assumes as such. It's a very debatable adjective, is all.

I think this is just a losing battle. What the word has come to represent, memetically, and quite aptly, if you ask me, is his (alleged) magnum opus (perhaps Animal Farm, too). I don't think it's unfortunate at all; it's a novel neologism with convenient applications. McCarthyism doesn't refer to the whole of McCarthy's shenanigans, it invariably refers to the one big stunt he pulled.

Sooooo...yeah. About Second Life--I think some of you are underestimating its reach. I've never seen an MMO with such a large meta-game surrounding it (offline community). Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I mean, an MMO that wasn't D&D lust.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I read a magazine today - Animation Blast - and one writer's article ended with:

'David Calvo (b.1974) a writer, lives in an arcology south of France. He deals with virtual reality poetry, giant monsters, homeless puppets and snowflakes. He can be reached in Second Life as Shinya Takakura.'

THIS IS THE FUTURE AND I DON'T LIKE IT.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
I've been advised that you're a lunatic and that I shouldn't listen to you.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
THIS IS THE FUTURE AND I DON'T LIKE IT.

God man, seriously. I know!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No seriously, what the fuck. I've read your posts in other threads. You're clearly an intelligent person with considerable gaming experience. Why the fuck make such a retarded comment and then play this dumb game instead of just explaining yourself?
Mainly because it's more fun to keep stringing you along.

That and that when I go to the trouble of explaining things comprehensively, I seem to get just as much flack as when I don't.

===

The answer is that, to me, MMOs are like slot machines. There's gaming, gambling, and then there's sitting in front of a machine feeding it quarters and pulling the handle.

I understand that there is a social side to it, I've played MUDs and MUSHes and MUCKs, lo these many years past. I have engaged in IRC chat. There is a certain amount of fun to wring out of power levelling with a group of friends, and there is a certain amount of fun to be had from building houses and manufacturing items. All of these things I did more than 10 years ago, and I didn't have to pay a monthly fee to do it.

I played them as games. I didn't play so much that I missed classes and meals or get engaged to someone I met over the internet (like my roomate). I didn't pay to get item upgrades and access to additional zones (like my rooomate).

I see that there has been an evolution in place though, that has taken massively multiplayer online experiences and slowly evolved them from being games that you played with your friends online into slot machines where thousands of people sit in a room feeding them quarters. And when I see that people are apparently finally getting tired of insert game here, then moving on to the new game that's the same as the old game but with Sonic the Hedgehog on it instead of Golden Bells, it just reminds me even more of slots. There are a lot of people out there who are engaging in these games in a way that is a lot more addiction than having fun.

Maybe some game will come along that will change that, but right now, it seems to me that each iteration is just a more powerfully refined way of separating fools from their money.

My apologies if you are not one of those who are addicted, but just play for fun, because obviously I'm throwing out the wheat with the chaff instead of properly winnowing it.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problematically Second Life is not an online RPG in the least. It's not a game at all, it's a VR. I can see why there's bleedover into games writing though since it shares a lot of common characteristics (and it looks like a game).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

it would still probably help your popularity if you stopped being a cock.

really, try it, you'll like it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone explain to me how this:
J.Goodwin wrote:
Mainly because it's more fun to keep stringing you along.

That and that when I go to the trouble of explaining things comprehensively, I seem to get just as much flack as when I don't.

===

The answer is that, to me, MMOs are like slot machines. There's gaming, gambling, and then there's sitting in front of a machine feeding it quarters and pulling the handle.

I understand that there is a social side to it, I've played MUDs and MUSHes and MUCKs, lo these many years past. I have engaged in IRC chat. There is a certain amount of fun to wring out of power levelling with a group of friends, and there is a certain amount of fun to be had from building houses and manufacturing items. All of these things I did more than 10 years ago, and I didn't have to pay a monthly fee to do it.

I played them as games. I didn't play so much that I missed classes and meals or get engaged to someone I met over the internet (like my roomate). I didn't pay to get item upgrades and access to additional zones (like my rooomate).

I see that there has been an evolution in place though, that has taken massively multiplayer online experiences and slowly evolved them from being games that you played with your friends online into slot machines where thousands of people sit in a room feeding them quarters. And when I see that people are apparently finally getting tired of insert game here, then moving on to the new game that's the same as the old game but with Sonic the Hedgehog on it instead of Golden Bells, it just reminds me even more of slots. There are a lot of people out there who are engaging in these games in a way that is a lot more addiction than having fun.

Maybe some game will come along that will change that, but right now, it seems to me that each iteration is just a more powerfully refined way of separating fools from their money.

My apologies if you are not one of those who are addicted, but just play for fun, because obviously I'm throwing out the wheat with the chaff instead of properly winnowing it.

Explains away this:
J.Goodwin wrote:

I don't think anyone had any question about why you dislike MMO games. There are plenty of reasons why not to like them. We had an article in issue #5 of TGQ about it actually. The real question is how a distaste for something leads to assholery about the entire topic.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
it would still probably help your popularity if you stopped being a cock.

really, try it, you'll like it.
I've been trying so hard to live up to your sterling example though.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I don't think anyone had any question about why you dislike MMO games. There are plenty of reasons why not to like them. We had an article in issue #5 of TGQ about it actually. The real question is how a distaste for something leads to assholery about the entire topic.

-Wes
Or you've got it backwards. I'm an asshole, and therefore everything I say is cockfuckery.

Or, maybe I enjoy talking more than I enjoy games. Or, maybe the game that I enjoy is pissing people off. Or, maybe it doesn't matter to me if one statement necessarily leads to the next. Or, maybe I think that pretty much all writing about MMOs is fanfiction, because pretty much everyone who wants to write about them enjoys playing them. And maybe when I want to say something in a general way, I just say it, and don't bother trying to explain every little detail.

You and des are going to read whatever you want into anything I post anyway, I have noticed. If I go into detail, you make up some new finer grained detail to whine about. If I talk generally, you whine about some detail. It's all the same to me. The detail is either an example of the general case, or it's an exception to the general case. For you, it disproves whatever I'm saying, and for me, it proves whatever I'm saying. If that's an issue, then you're going to have to look at it differently to resolve it.

Has anyone actually posted an opinion contrary to what I posted? I haven't seen it. I haven't seen any actual criticism of my statement either. I have seen several ad-hominems, and a general questioning of why I (or apparently ANY PERSON) would say such a thing. There's not any discussion there to be had, as far as I can tell, just barbs to be traded.

Last edited by J.Goodwin on Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm interested in the social aspects of mmo games. the effort put into second life is staggering, and the results seem incomprehensible to outsiders.

john jacob jingleheimer j. goodwin: you may be interested in e-prime as a means of negotiating this impasse you outlined in the last paragraph of your reply.

there's probably an i ching casting worth quoting on this, were someone inclined to craft aphorisms from ancient chinese games of chance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
there's probably an i ching casting worth quoting on this, were someone inclined to craft aphorisms from ancient chinese games of chance.
I'm not a big caster of aphorisms from i ching, but I have delved into it from time to time.

I revised my above post, btw, based on insights that I gained from commenting on another post. When I hit submit, I saw your post afterward, so I don't know if that would change anything. My tendency is to post what I'm immediately thinking, then revise it to actually match what I was thinking instead of what came out.

And I'd be more likely to take what you say seriously if you didn't include language making fun of me in your post, see above statement on ad hominems.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
You and des

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I really, actually, honestly do like having you around here. It's like Mr. Mech said a bit back, I'm pretty much just a proud member of the debate team and I like calling people out on shit. So yeah, don't take anything I say personally, and if something seems like a personal attack it probably isn't (or wasn't intended to be). If I were a true asshole I'd make a thread chastising you for the Sony hate, and I'd tell you to read this article, but I'm not a complete asshole so I didn't!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't seen any actual criticism of my statement either.

Well, I'm curious. What does your original statement have to do with the article in question?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I'd be more likely to take what you say seriously if you didn't include language making fun of me in your post, see above statement on ad hominems.

don't worry about it. i would never seriously suggest anyone check out the i ching. it's nonsense, and there are better things to do with your dominoes. i've never been into the mathematical side of sexual metaphysics anyway, and since i don't have the inclination to start a second life - as it were - dedicated to such pursuits, i have to measure the size of the fight in the dog, swing for the fence, do and/or die and always, always keep hope alive.

for gibbering mysticism i can find no better book than the cloud of unknowing.

it's remarkably lucid for someone tripping on the ineffable and about to flip a triple stack of christ pantochrator, rex mundi and axis mundi; the word made flesh, made to suffer and die so as to lead by example; be not afraid, and even death may die, for there are not enough trees upon which to nail every kingdom of heaven; and we will all take our turn as centurion, hand upon stave and iron upon flesh; even satan shall be forgiven.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
Has anyone actually posted an opinion contrary to what I posted? I haven't seen it. I haven't seen any actual criticism of my statement either. I have seen several ad-hominems, and a general questioning of why I (or apparently ANY PERSON) would say such a thing. There's not any discussion there to be had, as far as I can tell, just barbs to be traded.

It's because there's such an enormous disconnect between calling articles about the social implications of MMORPGs fanfiction and having a general distaste for addictive "games" that charge $15 a month for hours on end of pure level grinding that to make even a thread of a connection between the two requires so much effort on our behalf that you can't just throw out an "isn't it obvious?" and walk away. The only thing obvious is that if you find a reason not to like something that distaste spreads from the object itself into any sort of analysis about that thing, then to your buying decisions, and even to a moral stance on what's evil and not evil.

Again, nothing personal. You asked for an answer and you got it!

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: