The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The old guard gets its knocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: The old guard gets its knocks Reply with quote

Well, shit:

Quote:
Eli Singer writes "Are gamer employees different? This is the question John Beck and Mitchell Wade answer in Got Game, How the Gamer Generation is Reshaping Business Forever. They argue that yes, employees who grew up with Nintendo, TurboGrafix and Genesis approach their work in fundamentally different ways than non-gaming workers. If you grew up with games, you can use this book to teach your boss how to appreciate your gaming abilities in the workplace." Read on for the rest of Singer's review.

link

I don't really think that this is a worthwhile venture, and a bunch of crap. After reading the review I may be interested to see based on the first 3 chapters if a future boss may get the right impression of me.

But I had recently heard alot of talk about older business persons still trying to come to grasps with more advanced technology and how that was building a gap between younger and older generations, but to break that down even further and write a book about gamers...

It just seems like a pointless trial in "see we can do it" -ness. Anyways, this makes me feel like an idiot. You don't have books like "Have a worker who grew up with Grunge Music and getting them expired and not looking down on them for not liking Deep Purple."

I don't need special treatment fuckers.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the term gamer is gross.

just to beat that particular horse.

plus, um, i think that's a load of shit. as something of an employer and a game player, if someone handed me that book, i'd laugh at them. or read it and critique the shit out of it, and then laugh at them.

again: are you all five years old? do you need validation from everyone and everything? if you feel like a nerd, learn how to fight, buy a gun and drink whiskey. then you can feel like a man. go fight bears - but being a pussy isn't going to help.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
the term gamer is gross.

just to beat that particular horse.

"On my business card, I am a corporate president.
In my mind, I am a game developer.
But in my heart—I am a gamer."
-NINTENDO PRESIDENT SATORU IWATA

Ride that dead horse back into town.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: