The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Someone Talk about Final Fantasy XII
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Someone Talk about Final Fantasy XII Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've been playing a lot of the Japanese release of FFXII lately and it's very different from my expectations. I'm wondering what other people's pre-release FFXII expectations are. It features several massive changes to the formula that could turn away a lot of fans or bring in a lot. What are you guys expecting from the game? Would you be happier if the game met your expecations or totally smashed them? If you've totally given up on Final Fantasy games what would it take to bring you back?

This thread is about Final Fantasy XII, but it can also be about expectations in general if that's your fancy. Go!

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfounded predictions!

- i expect there will be at least two love triangles.

- new chocobo nail clipper minigame with collectible trimmers and a special trainer who can teach you to cut the nails of dozens of chocobos in seconds, allowing you to win a bracelet you can trade for a dull ruby that's really the soul of an old demon whose favorite thing to eat is chocobo nail clippings.

- the voice acting will be terrible.

- dads will be loved for the first third of the game, until all the molestation flashbacks start.

- jailbait! jailbait! jailbait!
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- dickgirls

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
- the voice acting will be terrible.

You're wrong on at least 2.5 of those.

Here's a US trailer. What do you think of the voice acting?

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's better than i thought it would be by quite a bit.

welcome to 1995 japan. enjoy your stay!

serious question: why does everyone have bangs?
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
serious question: why does everyone have bangs?

jealous? :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be the first Final Fantasy I buy since 7, depending on what I hear around here.

Actually, 7's the only one I ever bought (I played my friend's copy of 6), just to see what the fuss was about. I never did figure that out.

No wait, that's a lie! I've got a copy of 4 Advance I forgot about! I've forgotten about it.

From what I've heard about 12 so far I'd be interested more in the mechanics and the new take on the random battle RPG form than anything. I'm pretty much expecting things like characters and story to suck. I'm prepared!
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be the first final fantasy game I buy at launch... ever!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone Talk about Final Fantasy XII Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
If you've totally given up on Final Fantasy games what would it take to bring you back?

The more pissed off the majority of fans are, the more likely I am to buy it. But it would still take a lot.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
SJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be picking this up to see if the programmable AI for your party members lives up to my expectations. I hear good things.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you've totally given up on Final Fantasy games what would it take to bring you back?

nothing. japan can go fuck itself.

that sounded meaner than i meant it. what i meant to say was japan can shove 5,000 tons of soul-destroying anime and jrpgs up its collective entertainment industry ass until it dies from massive internal bleeding, like that dude who got fucked to death by a horse. there are some parallels to be had there, actually, since both the dude who got fucked to death by a horse did a lot of collecting and fetch quests and probably had a rocky relationship with his dad too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
probably had a rocky relationship with his dad too.

You do realize that the whole "dad issues" as it relates to Final Fantasy as a series is exclusive to FFX, right?

I mean, there's a lot of family turmoil in XII, but it's not of the "I hate my dad" variety. Actually, FFXII has more in common with Star Wars than Evangelion.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what that has to do with the price of tea in china, i don't know. do you go up to gary coleman and ask him to stop asking willis what he's talkin' about? would you go up to jerry seinfeld and ask him to stop being a boring fuckface who has never been funny in his entire life and should have been aborted with a screwdriver and lighter fluid?

then how can you possibly expect me to stop making "i hate you dad" jokes?

i know i'm fucking with your thread and i'm sorry but like the scorpion said to the squirrel, "it's in my nature, fuck you dad i'm going to kill god whether you like it or not oh no a girl <...>"

edit: there's this problem where you get kinda caught up in a joke - or any other work of fiction - and it becomes a part of you after a while; i'd never really paid any attention to anime (or any japanese entertainment, really) until i started reading posts/journals of people who consumed it. i knew it existed, of course, but i paid it no mind for it was not of my world. and after a while it's like "oh, that person is severely emotionally damaged and likes anime, how funny" every so often. then you start to notice a pattern and you begin to wonder "is it me? or is it the anime? am i brainwashing myself or am i seeing something that's truly real?" of course, at this point all the fun people get visited by some sort of vast, cool and unsympathetic intelligence from the star sirius but all i've ever done is had a long conversation about sex and archetypes with the bvm and run away from something i swear looked like tezcatlipoca (as well as something involving giant intelligent mantis creatures from somewhere beyond salvia space that i'd rather not talk about) and none of that is any help in deciphering this. it's much like the problem of the war on some drugs, in that the worst offenders rise to the top (for legalization to live the pothead must die) and everyone else with social skills kinda floats on by. but by the time i'd walked past the big ff12 display in my local gamestop so much of this has coalesced into actual moral condemnation, like i suddenly understood how andrea dworkin could march around as she did.

sometimes the world requires fire, for there is nothing more beautiful than a blank piece of paper.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
what that has to do with the price of tea in china, i don't know. do you go up to gary coleman and ask him to stop asking willis what he's talkin' about? would you go up to jerry seinfeld and ask him to stop being a boring fuckface who has never been funny in his entire life and should have been aborted with a screwdriver and lighter fluid?

then how can you possibly expect me to stop making "i hate you dad" jokes?

i know i'm fucking with your thread and i'm sorry but like the scorpion said to the squirrel, "it's in my nature, fuck you dad i'm going to kill god whether you like it or not oh no a girl <...>"

No, no you're cool. The jRPG genre has definately had its share of Dad hate. Hell FFVIII had a bunch of dudes in school, which is another really annoying, childish convention of anime (I almost wrote Anime Convention, but that's something different, and more gross entirely). What's interesting about the recent FF games in respect to country of origin is that they reflect a modern reincarnation of the first few jRPGs. If games like Dragon Quest are actually an 80s era Japanese take on Wizardy and the like, FFXI and XII are Japanese takes on Everquest, modified to meet current Japanese sensibilites.

The biggest difference is that they've got all of the baggage of the series to draw from/drag them down/appeal to people who will buy a game because it's got a new number added to the title of a game they enjoyed in the past.

Interesting!

But yeah, I think Ashe loves her dad.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i enjoy the i hate you dad jokes.

i sort of want dhex to play dragon quest V though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
would you go up to jerry seinfeld and ask him to stop being a boring fuckface who has never been funny in his entire life and should have been aborted with a screwdriver and lighter fluid?

Well, actually, now that you mention it... Yes, yes I would.
Faithless

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot froth enough for this game. I simply can not. I am not capable of frothing to completion for this game.

The voice acting looks okay. Could this be my new favorite Final Fantasy? Oh please, dear god, please.

Also: I hated X.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone Talk about Final Fantasy XII Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

The more pissed off the majority of fans are, the more likely I am to buy it. But it would still take a lot.

Seconded.

Also, yawn.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
nothing. japan can go fuck itself.

that sounded meaner than i meant it. what i meant to say was japan can shove 5,000 tons of soul-destroying anime and jrpgs up its collective entertainment industry ass until it dies from massive internal bleeding, like that dude who got fucked to death by a horse. there are some parallels to be had there, actually, since both the dude who got fucked to death by a horse did a lot of collecting and fetch quests and probably had a rocky relationship with his dad too.
The interesting thing is that, by sales, the Japanese agree with you. They're sick of seeing the same franchise over and over, and every iteration of FF sells fewer units.

Same is true of DoA, MGS, Mario, and [insert title here].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe because the games get less good with each iteration (Though I don't know about DoA, having never played a game in that series), save the odd exception, like Yoshi's Island and New Super Mario Bros.. The last time Megaman was worth a damn was back in 1990.

Come to think of it, I think the only time that I'd consider playing a Final Fantasy title again is if the game starts to play like its screenshots ("That's a nifty epic battle and airship dogfight. Now to get bored for the next dozen hours."). No, Dirge of Cerberus doesn't even come close, but it's a start.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

law of diminishing returns, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
law of diminishing reruns

is more like it.
Faithless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, given this atmosphere, my next article for GQ is right on target.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I think the only time that I'd consider playing a Final Fantasy title again is if the game starts to play like its screenshots ("That's a nifty epic battle and airship dogfight. Now to get bored for the next dozen hours.").

Yes! I watched the North American trailer with my wife and realized I was getting sort of excited about the game—there were the fantastic cinemas, good voice acting, and impressive-looking in-game cutscenes. Then I saw the "real" game—the battles, etc.

My wife asked, "will you play the game?" I replied, "I'd... I'd watch it? But I don't really want to play it." The watching part is what interests me; the story and characters actually look interesting. But I just don't want to spend 30–40 hours of my life to see the whole picture.

So, if anyone would like to send me a VHS of a playthrough, I'd gladly pay for postage and the 10 or so tapes!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't that what wikipedia is for?
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
isn't that what wikipedia is for?

QUIT MAKING ME WORK FOR MY ENTERTAINMENT
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't watching 10 vhs tapes of a jrpg even more work though?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
But I just don't want to spend 30–40 hours of my life to see the whole picture.

That's quite an underestimate there!

Dracko wrote:
Come to think of it, I think the only time that I'd consider playing a Final Fantasy title again is if the game starts to play like its screenshots ("That's a nifty epic battle and airship dogfight. Now to get bored for the next dozen hours."). No, Dirge of Cerberus doesn't even come close, but it's a start.

I understand this train of thought, but I just think it's missing the point. If RPGs (this is not exclusive to jRPGs here) changed their focus from decision making and resource management and moved it to hand eye coordination instead doesn't that abandon what makes them unique, thus turning them into same shitty game that comes out every week?

Lets take a look at a few games that actually do attempt what I think this suggests: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, Nanobreaker, Dirge of Cereberus, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. These are all pretty terrible games that attempt to take the appeal of RPGs and put it into an action game setting. But rather than just looking at their quality alone, lets see if adding in action actually improves the experience in the way that is being suggested. Do these games actually make you feel like you're playing the part of the characters any more than Final Fantasy does? I'm gonna throw out a great big no. In fact, I'd say that bringing in these RPG elements actually decreases the immersion, because you're constantly having to think about more factors than just you and your opponent. This is one of those things where we need to be careful what we wish for.

The appeal of RPGs comes from making informed decisions that are not tied to your hand-eye-coordination and watching those decisions directly effect the outcome of battles. There's a constant sense of Risk vs. Reward and the games can afford to go on for as long as they do because the number of factors that weigh in on your decision making increase exponentially as the game gives you more and more options. Good RPGs know this and pace themselves accordingly.

So do I think RPGs are doing everything right, and have no need for improvement? No, not at all. The biggest problem with the genre - and it's one that's been there from the beginning - is that they focus themselves on telling these grand plots that are, for the most part, utterly disconnected from any decisions that the player makes. I use the word plot here instead of story on purpose, because this problem plagues cRPGs as well as jRPGs. You can often affect the outcome of the individual sub-stories in cRPGs, but it's very rare that you can actually change the plot, and when you do it always takes place outside of the game engine itself in some sort of crappy dialogue tree where you're making <i>uninformed</i> decisions and crossing your fingers on an outcome. jRPGs at least have the sense of focus not to include dialogue selection boxes, but that's another thread altogether.

So essentially we're back to a place where your decisions exist to affect whether or not you see a game over screen. It's a worthy enough cause to keep fighting for, but it's empty in the end when the plots layered on top of the engines hint at what could be so much more. And it's the dichotomy between the plots and the gameplay that makes people think that they want a more hands-on role when in fact the issues run much deeper than just that.

So in summary:
* Putting the action in the players hands isn't going to help a damn thing.
* RPGs are all about decision making.
* For RPGs to improve we need a way to have the decisions that happen in the game itself affect the outcome of the plot.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
isn't watching 10 vhs tapes of a jrpg even more work though?

No, I drink myself silly and still pay attention!
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
So in summary:
* Putting the action in the players hands isn't going to help a damn thing.
* RPGs are all about decision making.
* For RPGs to improve we need a way to have the decisions that happen in the game itself affect the outcome of the plot.

-Wes

The thing is I think that 3) would be best suited to really simple games. And the more "streamlined" a game is then the more opportunity there would be for influential decisions. Ie. If the decisions you make have direct unavoidable repercussions that affect you further down the line, the sub-quests tie into the main plot too.

Think of Pheonix Wright (or Riviera), and postulate a game where how you get on with other characters (i.e party members / enemies) is important. You could have a 'dating' murder-mystery RPG.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For RPGs to improve, they need to be consistent. I don't want to be jarred from my badass CG cutscenes, androgynous cut-outs or not, with off-scale map screens, equally off-scale combat screens, mini-games and then conversations which have no real effect, let alone provide insight, on the plot.

You can see why, in the example of Final Fantasy XII even, I'd feel irate that Square puts on these lush epic battles, only to thrust us back in gutter-crawling, 3 on 2 combat which lasts typically anywhere between 3 minutes to an hour.

I don't think RPGs are the best genre to provide gamers that sense of freedom. Note that I clearly mean sense. Full freedom for a game is a ridiculous notion, no matter how big a sandbox you give. It's like expecting full freedom in a film, or any other form of narrative for that matter. So far, the best way, I find to give this player the feeling that in this world, anything is possible that comes to mind, is to clearly show, and stick to, the specific rules in control of that game. Even interactive fiction do better jobs of this, despite their lack of graphical detail or even detailed character interactions.

RPGs are to concerned with stats and decisions signifying nothing of import to be able to provide a truly captivating experience. Yes, adventure games, FPS and what-have-you are more directed, but at least they never give off a pretense. If they're well made (and taught), they'll give off a sense that you've made an actual impact on the story. Gordon Freeman inspires rebellion, Master Chief takes on a deluded theocratic order from space in truly Hollywoodian fashion, Goggles takes down the rampant A.I. Shodan, Garrett begrudgingly saves the world, The Nameless One, well, figures out who he is, or rather, was. And then you've got all the adventure game protagonists from Guybrush Threepwood to Gabriel Knight.

I don't think there's anything wrong with directed games. Free-form has always been tedious and uninspiring to me, let alone edifying, because there's no clear purpose behind it. Final Fantasy bores me because it doesn't deliver what it advertises and turns story-telling into a long, gruelling affair, with no real pay-off. I honestly find the series more exploitative in image and pretense alone, than a Dead or Alive or Grand Theft Auto.

The only recent announcements I've heard of free-form games that I can picture working are BioShock and The Outsider. The former has its pedigree and its own detailed back-story to lean onto, the latter is not concerned at all with a plot per se, rather it aims to simulate the motives and aims of the characters you'll come upon, and leave it to you how to best use that knowledge.

I get a better sense of risk in my decision making playing a Total War game or even an Operation: Flashpoint or Brothers in Arms. The combat in jRPGs have always come off as unnatural, and feel neither visceral or intellectual. Maybe I just sound like I'm repeating some of the points you've made, and for all my bitching, I do enjoy the odd jRPG once in a while.

It's just that they're typically of the Front Mission of Bahamut Lagoon variety.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
For RPGs to improve, they need to be consistent. I don't want to be jarred from my badass CG cutscenes, androgynous cut-outs or not, with off-scale map screens, equally off-scale combat screens, mini-games and then conversations which have no real effect, let alone provide insight, on the plot.

For once I kind of agree with you, but to put a little spin on it I'll say that the reason their inconsistancy seems so off-putting is because as their graphics and stories evolved beyond the hardware limitations their gameplay failed to evolve and catch up with them.

I should also point out that FFXII (and XI too, but nobody cares about that) solves every single one of these issues. The cutscenes are mostly limited to things that happen in between exploration sextions, there's just a huge consistant world with enemies of scale wandering around that you can either attack or avoid, there's a surprisingly small number of mini-games that are completely in context with both the story and the gameplay, and the cities are full of people that you can't even press the button to talk to unless they actually have something to say. It conciously addresses each of the above complaints, but it's also got Chocobos, Phoenix Downs, and Curagas, so you probably wouldn't be interested.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am extremely excited for this game! I'm gonna preorder the limited edition!

Also, I didn't realize you could type in the text box (where they give hints about BBcode like "Insert Image: [img]...") above the post entry textarea.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
It conciously addresses each of the above complaints, but it's also got Chocobos, Phoenix Downs, and Curagas, so you probably wouldn't be interested.

If Square are starting to sort out their act, and I hear word from credible sources that the plot is worth the investment, I'll probably give it a look, actually. The nature of the gameplay is a deterrent, but if they're going for a fluid approach, that's great. Let's just see them do something interesting with their anime fantasy worlds for a change.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The appeal of RPGs comes from making informed decisions that are not tied to your hand-eye-coordination and watching those decisions directly effect the outcome of battles. There's a constant sense of Risk vs. Reward and the games can afford to go on for as long as they do because the number of factors that weigh in on your decision making increase exponentially as the game gives you more and more options. Good RPGs know this and pace themselves accordingly.
Modern US/Euro RPGs seem to be taking it and allowing you to change yourself by the way you act, even if you're not changing the story so much though. That's miles away from the impacting nothing thing that you get in Japanese RPGs now, aside from the very best of the action RPGs (which is a totally different genre).

There is a murder mystery quest in Oblivion's assassin's guild questline. Your job is to leave no one alive in the house, but you can achieve it without drawing blade or poison, if you're good with the dialogue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
There is a murder mystery quest in Oblivion's assassin's guild questline. Your job is to leave no one alive in the house, but you can achieve it without drawing blade or poison, if you're good with the dialogue.

Really?

I just killed them motherfuckers.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Dragon Quest VIII

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:

Really?

I just killed them motherfuckers.
Yes, you can convince them to kill each other for the most part. You may want to poison the last one. I can't recall if you can actually get the last person to suicide or not.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Dracko wrote:

Dragon Quest VIII

Does it do anything interesting with the anime fantasy world it portrays?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, but it is extremely consistent. Cutscenes are done with the game engine or at least there's no jarring difference between the two.

Doesn't help it from being a grindfest with a lame second half.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then no thanks.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I only grinded levels once for about an hour and it was fairly early on. The thing is, you usually explore enough to level up without it feeling like grinding. The game gives you the immersion level to let you feel like there is a reason to explore.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone looking for something new in jRPGs should, by default, comepletly ignore the Dragon Quest series. It's a series that's entirely about preserving the jRPG formula.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody else ever want to write it out as 'Draggin Quest'? It's probably more appropriate that way.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Final Fantasy X-2 was the most inventive jRPG on the PS2 so far (so I guess that dismisses my opinions about everything else!).
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find hilarious is people talking about Final Fantasy being hackneyed and then heralding Dragon Quest.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Dragon Quest brings with it is self-awareness and a love of the flawed form. I can't say wether or not that actually makes those weaknesses worthwhile, but a lot of people seem to think so.

I at least appreciate it more than something like Final Fantasy, which takes itself entirely seriously while plumbing the lowest depths of jEmo.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Quest is more about invoking nostalgia than preserving a formula for its own sake. That just happens to follow. Final Fantasy is about adding flashy bullshit to Dragon Quest.

There are plenty of hackneyed jRPG games that are worth playing. There are many, many more that aren't. (Obviously.)

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I at least appreciate it more than something like Final Fantasy, which *only recently started taking itself entirely seriously while plumbing the lowest depths of jEmo.

I corrected your sentence, there were some grammatical errors.

While some tirelessly argue that 7 was similar, if you actually, you know, played FF7, you would find little "emo--" mostly just a trite little romp of a story. 8, perhaps I agree. 9, you're completely wrong. 10, I can see the argument, but it's still really weak. Only post-X/VII-revival FF is what you're talking about. All of these games (9 especially) do their part to be light-hearted, as well.

This is just providing me more and more reasons to write a treatise on why Final Fantasy is a misunderstood franchise. If Final Fantasy is a level quest, then what is Dragon Warrior?

Also, I don't understand how any of these allegations apply to pre-playstation FF.

Basically, the gambit for criticising Square/Final Fantasy is so predictable now that I can only conclude that it is elitist bullshit.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
What I find hilarious is people talking about Final Fantasy being hackneyed and then heralding Dragon Quest.
I think there's something to be said for being the original.

I mean, yeah, you COULD listen to Eric Clapton, but wouldn't you prefer to listen to Robert Johnson?

Of course, personally I prefer Neutopia to Zelda's 8 or 16 bit incarnations...so I guess I'm a whore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: