The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kill Bill v1/v2 and videogames.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Kill Bill v1/v2 and videogames. Reply with quote

It seems to me that games could gain in subtlety if they were more influenced by Kill Bill. Kill Bill rejects the good vs evil motif, instead using a bad (but portrayed as good) vs. worse motif. Why are we meant to sympathise or root for The Bride? She was part of the Deadly Viper squad, just as the rest of the bad guys. But the tragedy she has suffered at Bill's hands seems to justify her desire for revenge. Likewise, the ex-Members of the Deadly Viper squad seem to be generally bad guys.
But what of The Bride's actions, are they justified?
And overall, what is the *point* of Kill Bill? just as what is the point of videogame-stories?

* God Hand is apparently going to take this bad vs worse idea as part of its scenario.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill Bill is hardly the first time this has been done. But that said, I thought Yakuza did this as well?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And overall, what is the *point* of Kill Bill?

revenge is awesome to watch. vengence is sweet. etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've broken it down. It makes me think in a really Nietzschian way when I think about designing videogames, because really, you can't expect anything else. You can give the player all the power he wants, but in the end his story will be determined where his will drives him. I think that's why physical conflict is so easy in games because no one wants to get beat up or pushed around no matter who or what their other motivations are. Losing? Psh, fuck that noise, I'm not going to lose either.

Imagine how much less insane violence there would be in Grand Theft Auto if you had a set number of lives?

Yeah, I suppose "bad vs. badder" could be a way to gain subtlety in videogames. But I'm not sure if God Hand is really going for subtlety, hey?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Kill Bill is hardly the first time this has been done. But that said, I thought Yakuza did this as well?
Eh. The worst thing you do in yakuza is beat up a 40 year old man who comes at you with a golf club.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure Kill Bill is really going for subtlety, hey!

I found the first Kill Bill to be nothing more than cinematic masturbation. And I don't think games should learn from that. I have not seen the second Kill Bill.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
I found the first Kill Bill to be nothing more than cinematic masturbation. And I don't think games should learn from that. I have not seen the second Kill Bill.

The second Kill Bill, is more or less the same movie. Slightly different narrative and some moderately exciting scenes. Still, it's cinematic masturbation. It seems great the first time! Sadly it does NOT hold up through multiple viewings. I love all of the cameos by Japanese actors/directors in the first film though.

Games don't have anything to learn from it though. Probably why no one has ever turned a Tarantino movie into a game. Plus he doesn't like the thought to begin with. He does like Half-Life though...

Think happy thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Games don't have anything to learn from it though. Probably why no one has ever turned a Tarantino movie into a game. Plus he doesn't like the thought to begin with. He does like Half-Life though...
I don't have the heart for it, guys.

Also I liked the Kill Bill movies a lot >Neutral
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
Probably why no one has ever turned a Tarantino movie into a game.

Uh, Resevoir Dogs?
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word on the street about that is that it's actually kind of interesting.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in noboyuki forces 3, which i've spent an obscene amount of time on, you can unlock the outfit from kill bill as a costume for your character.

it caught me off guard a little bit.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
in noboyuki forces 3, which i've spent an obscene amount of time on, you can unlock the outfit from kill bill as a costume for your character.

it caught me off guard a little bit.

You can do the same thing in Liberty City Stories.

Seeing my mobster in a yellow jumpsuit looks kind of weird though so I never make him wear it.

dark steve wrote:
Word on the street about that is that it's actually kind of interesting.

Yeah, the whole hostage taking mechanic does indeed make the rest of the game sound like it's worth checking out. If it's possible to do a complete playthrough of the game without killing anyone then it'd be pretty awesome.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
TheRumblefish wrote:
Probably why no one has ever turned a Tarantino movie into a game.

Uh, Resevoir Dogs?

Cut me some slack Mr. Mech! You know I am at least thre to four years behind in the Video Game scene!

dark steve wrote:

I don't have the heart for it, guys.

Also I liked the Kill Bill movies a lot

I don't blame you though, I don't have the heart for it either. Hey I don't have anything against the Kill Bill movies, but I wish I could watch them and enjoy them more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bride's Yellow Jumpsuit was an homage to Bruce Lee:
http://www.bruceleedivinewind.com/god72.html
So it's not clear which one GTA is having fun with, IIRC it's comically tight on the main character.

I've never seen a sequel do so much to reframe its predecessor as Kill Bill 2 did to 1, it did a lot to move it beyond basic vengance.

The interesting bit about "bad vs worse" is when Uma is going after the black woman, who now seems to be trying to make a nice decent suburban life for herself and daughter. Especially because both kind of collaborate to keep the battle from the child, which is a bit silly because I think she's going to notice that mommy's a bloody corpse.

I don't understand the charges of "cinematic masturbation".
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
The Bride's Yellow Jumpsuit was an homage to Bruce Lee:
http://www.bruceleedivinewind.com/god72.html

that makes me like noboyuki more.

a friend of mine found kill bill to be nothing more than a vapid excersize in masturbatory violence too. i've never seen it, because i was able to guess as much beforehand.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite enjoyed Kill Bill for all the reasons people seem to hate it. I still need to get the first one on DVD and watch them both back to back sometime.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
a friend of mine found kill bill to be nothing more than a vapid excersize in masturbatory violence too. i've never seen it, because i was able to guess as much beforehand.

You say vapid excersize in mastubatory violence like it's a bad thing.

Seriously. the violence was artfully (if not artistically) and stylishly done. I ended up feeling for the main character, and her loss, and her desire to take on the whole damn world if she had to to get vengence. The offscreen and engimatic Bill in 1 gets fleshed out in 2 and the whole story gets significantly deeper. The anime/manga/hiphop influenced backstory bit added meaning to Lucy Liu's character's backstory, and no character was displayed in simple black and white terms.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish i could spell "exercise".

i find excessive violence profoundly alienating.

except in gta2, apparently. possibly because there i get to direct it. also possibly because the people are tiny pixel people.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, this whole "bad vs. badder" thing is so goddamn fucking Western (and, well, wrong). The movie isn't about "bad vs. badder". The "badguy-ness" of all the characters is really just a way to appeal to the audience - to make the characters more likeable. It's like Robin Hood. Would you like Robin Hood any less if he kept all the money for himself?

In the end, the movie is about honor. It's about fulfilling duties. You fucked me up, I'll fuck you up. Oh, you saw how I killed your mom? If you're still sour, you can come after me, and that's cool. It's also about how that honor is sometimes difficult and painful. The painful awkwardness in the final scenes with Beatrix, Bill, and the daughter? That's the fucking cake right there.

_Marcel Duchamp
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the most lurid spaghetti western north of the border.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's Bruce Lee jumpsuit love in Tekken as well. Well, Bruce Lee love in general. Including the jumpsuit.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah--it's kind of ironic that people are criticizing Kill Bill for its exaggeration when it's supposed to be an amalgam (in a darkly satirical style) of Hong-Kong cinema, action-story cliches, and kickassery.

Jeeze. I mean, oh man, someone talented is a little narcissistic, none of the great artists are like that. He's a pretty damn keen guy and the KB movies are Western neo-HK revival.

I agree with player 2 about the thematical substance of the movie.

I think a lot of games do make use of what you propose, Ketch--modern games really don't mind throwing us the anti-hero. In fact, they might even prefer it sometimes.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Locke. I was really unclear as to what it was supposed to be.

Kill Bill is masturbatory not because it presents exaggeration or because Tarantino loves himself or because it is very violent. It is masturbatory because it is an amalgam of so many genres, all of which Tarantino thinks happen to be really cool. He has made a movie (at least with one; again, I have not seen v. 2) because it is a collection of everything he gets off on. All the shout-outs to Hong Kong cinema and Sergio Leone and manga are each a private little mindgasm for Tarantino. And yes, it is 'stylish', but that's a label we attach to something when we can't see what the style is getting at (in this case, because it is woefully skin-deep). It is an irresponsible waste of film, and somehow garners a staggering amount of attention because it's just so damn cool and look at all the cool things he likes and look at how all these cool things are put together around a core of cool cool cool.[/i]
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
I think a lot of games do make use of what you propose, Ketch--modern games really don't mind throwing us the anti-hero. In fact, they might even prefer it sometimes.

This may be a little off, but wouldn't James Earl Cash (Anti-Hero of Manhunt) be a perfect example? To begin with he was a convicted criminal on deathrow, then he gets let out and begins to kill in massive numbers? Sure, he was forced into doing it, but still he's pretty unstable to begin with. No hesitiation what so ever, a perfect killing machine. The fact is, he seems like a protagonist when compared to everyone else in the game.

You could say the same with all of the GTA games, they all seem to be good examples of anti-heroes in video games.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank masturbatory is a needlessly unpleasant and not particularly accurate term; "self indulgent" covers it, because I think Kill Bill engages its audience, which might consist a bit too much of fanboys and the like, where as "masturbation" doesn't describe that kind of dialog.

And "waste of film"? I think you can only argue that if it clearly repressed some other promising film, and I don't think that's a clear cut argument. A lot of people enjoyed it, it was a nice exercise in stylish violence, and it pulled a remarkable trick with how the second film totally reframed the first... I'm not a film buff, but I can't think of another pair of films that did that. (It's kind of akin to the Star Wars prequels making the original trilogy the story of Vader instead of Luke, but without all the issues and problems and klutziness and retroconning that entailed)
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to defend my terminology.

I use the word masturbatory in its sense of "excessively self-indulgent or self-involved" as defined by the American Heritage dictionary. If it is an unpleasant term to you, then I am glad. Kill Bill is an exceedingly unpleasant film to me, and if I am going to mount a critique of it, I hope that my words will reflect that.

And it is a waste of film in that Tarantino has made much better films before it, and potentially could have been doing something substantial instead. I guess I'd call it a waste of Tarantino, too.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is an irresponsible waste of film

that's probably why i enjoyed them.

conan the barbarian touches on similar themes. it's also the best allegory about jesus ever.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
conan the barbarian touches on similar themes. it's also the best allegory about jesus ever.

Any movie where a human punches out a camel is an instant classic

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, Conan the Barbarian is probably my favourite movie but I didn't really "get" Kill Bill. Granted, they're different in so many ways, but I'm leaning towards helicopterp's angle on this.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
I am going to defend my terminology.

I use the word masturbatory in its sense of "excessively self-indulgent or self-involved" as defined by the American Heritage dictionary. If it is an unpleasant term to you, then I am glad. Kill Bill is an exceedingly unpleasant film to me, and if I am going to mount a critique of it, I hope that my words will reflect that.

Well, I ain't a prude or nuthin'... I just think of wanking as a solo activity, and making a glossy commercial film ain't that.
Quote:
And it is a waste of film in that Tarantino has made much better films before it, and potentially could have been doing something substantial instead. I guess I'd call it a waste of Tarantino, too.

Now see, that's interesting... I would have never thought you were talking about that it suffers compared to his other films, as opposed to cinematography in general.

I mean, I liked "True Romance", haven't seen "Natural Born Killers".... "Pulp Fiction" I think is pretty great, but I think stuff like "Reservior Dogs" and "Jackie Brown" is ultimately less than "Kill Bill". Or maybe I've just been bamboozled by how much I like ""Battle Without Honor or Humanity"
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Or maybe I've just been bamboozled by how much I like ""Battle Without Honor or Humanity"

That's probably what it is, really. I mean, Tarantino gets lauded all the time for the HK influences and all, but really what he's probably introduced most to the West is Japanese new wave, and the idea of "cool" among the male youth audience equating to "totally unmoved by shockingly graphic material." Donald Richie has written fairly extensively on the subject and I can produce quotes if you'd like, but the whole thing kinda started (cinematically) with Fukusaku and Miike and the like. Of course, Yukio Mishima's Sailor probes this quite precisely much earlier; can anyone tell me if he had specific influences for that beyond Buddhist theory and parable?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
I mean, Tarantino gets lauded all the time for the HK influences and all, but really what he's probably introduced most to the West is Japanese new wave

As a further example to this, the "kung-fu master" idolized by Slater's character in True Romance is Sonny Chiba as opposed to Bruce Lee, Donny Yen, Jimmy Wang Yu, etc.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:
Or maybe I've just been bamboozled by how much I like ""Battle Without Honor or Humanity"

That's probably what it is, really. I mean, Tarantino gets lauded all the time for the HK influences and all, but really what he's probably introduced most to the West is Japanese new wave, and the idea of "cool" among the male youth audience equating to "totally unmoved by shockingly graphic material." Donald Richie has written fairly extensively on the subject and I can produce quotes if you'd like, but the whole thing kinda started (cinematically) with Fukusaku and Miike and the like. Of course, Yukio Mishima's Sailor probes this quite precisely much earlier; can anyone tell me if he had specific influences for that beyond Buddhist theory and parable?

Well, yeah, but "Battle Without Honor or Humanity" is such a kickass song, with those massive horn hits.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
"Natural Born Killers"

I thought Natural Born Killers was Oliver Stone.

It's awesome, by the way. In the way that only movies from the 1990s could be.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have bad taste in film (and games) so i really enjoy the cinema of retribution. i could probably teach a learning annex course in it.

conan, like kb, is about retribution above and beyond morality. is conan a nice guy? no, he's a fucking murderer. "what is best in life?" etc. he's a purely amoral, egoistic, self-directed force of destruction, and he totally fucks james earl jones in the ear. it's about the actions of others (jones/bill) creating the people who eventually kill them. it demonstates an understanding of the universe as a blind machine of action and reaction (orthodox vedic explanation of karma, basically); the viewer just happens to root for one of the little marbles for two hours or so.

it's a really universal theme. and frankly, a better lesson for the modern day than all that indie wank about feelings.

edit: also conan is the germanic warrior christ figure that most appealed to the various tribes in that area during the rise of the spread of christendom. the idea of self-sacrifice in the guise of warfare makes perfect sense, then, just as eternal warfare requires eternal return.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:
"Natural Born Killers"

He wrote the script, although he took his name off it after Stone added the scene with Rodney Dangerfield.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
simplicio wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

Well, yeah, but "Battle Without Honor or Humanity" is such a kickass song, with those massive horn hits.

Oh I thought you were talking about the Kinji Fukusaku movie/series.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:
"Natural Born Killers"

He wrote the script, although he took his name off it after Stone added the scene with Rodney Dangerfield.

Tarantino wrote NBK?! Learned something today, I did.
rf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like KB V.1 that much, for something like helicopterp's reasons. To say this in broad and patronizing a manner as I can, it felt like it was made by a geek who really really liked a disparate group of things and wanted to combine them, without realizing that each of those things internally maintained a different tone, worldview, and level of seriousness, and that a combination could only be fatally inconsistent in style.

I wasn't expecting to like it, though.
player 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rf wrote:
I didn't like KB V.1 that much, for something like helicopterp's reasons. To say this in broad and patronizing a manner as I can, it felt like it was made by a geek who really really liked a disparate group of things and wanted to combine them, without realizing that each of those things internally maintained a different tone, worldview, and level of seriousness, and that a combination could only be fatally inconsistent in style.

KB1 was inconsistent in style? What?

Also, @ dhex - yeah, that's a really good way of putting it, but I think the daughter aspects throws a big wrench in the whole shtick. I'm not sure exactly how, though. What do you think?

_Marcel Duchamp
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trouble enjoying a movie if it doesn't have over-the-top, stylized, or just plain gratuitous violence.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He has made a movie (at least because it is a collection of everything he gets off on.

Wait a tick...could you be describing...art?!

I write surrealism because I get off on surrealism.

A musician plays x genre because they like that genre and they want other people to experience it too.

So, I don't really see your point in this tautology. I'm pretty sure that people who are fairly well-acquainted with pop-culture enjoy, on the whole, shows like The Simpsons or Family Guy (yes, both have gone done hill. bear with the example). I have a funny feeling fans of classic action cinema love Kill Bill! Maybe you'll soon come to the startling realization that sometimes, a particular work of art isn't aimed at everybody! Maybe next you'll stipulate that Kung Fu Hustle is too exclusive to Chinese culture/'cinema!

Quote:

That's probably what it is, really. I mean, Tarantino gets lauded all the time for the HK influences and all, but really what he's probably introduced most to the West is Japanese new wave, and the idea of "cool" among the male youth audience equating to "totally unmoved by shockingly graphic material."

Well the roots are in HK cinema, but even if you're right about the emerging Japanese "cool--" Miike is way more visceral. I think Kill Bill's gore is well-placed.

Quote:

Tarantino originally wrote the script (in fact, it was one movie with True Romance).

Quote:
it demonstates an understanding of the universe as a blind machine of action and reaction (orthodox vedic explanation of karma, basically);

also happens to be the secular explanation, just without all the frills.

Anyhoo, we should be cheering Tarantino on. He's just a movie buff who got lucky, something we all would probably love to be, and basically all criticism I've seen that goes beyond the tenets of the movie itself attack his character needlessly (believe me, if it was worth attacking, I might be down there with you) and fail to bring any real complaints to the table.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the complaint was with the high degree refrencing in itself, but the fact that that alone doesn't make a movie, especially if it isn't coherent.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Tarantino originally wrote the script (in fact, it was one movie with True Romance).

So, wait. Natural Born Killers and True Romance were originally the same movie?

Damn, that must have been some pretty crazy shit right there.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason this discussion reminds me of my love/hate fan relationship with Kevin Smith.

I really liked Clerks, the popculture riffing and the sheer bravado in making such a no-budget flick. Some of his other movies had good moments as well, in a highly-unpolished kind of way. And I liked how he had fun branching out into comics and what not.

Then I had the misfortune of "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". SO many god damn fan shoutouts and so little of anything else:: "If you want a picture of 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back', imagine a boba fett removing his helmet, revealing a human face, turning to the camera, and giving a big old wink, forver"

I'm not going to defend Kevin Smith too loudly... although I appreciate him as a kind of wobbly bridge between fanboys enjoying pop culture and fanboys making popculture, I could see him REALLY getting on someone's nerves. But, I dig his stuff in reasonable doses, and will probably see whatever movies he decides to throw together in the future.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
It is an irresponsible waste of film

that's probably why i enjoyed them.

I almost don't want to believe that. But now I see it.

[quote="Lockeownsj00"] Well the roots are in HK cinema, but even if you're right about the emerging Japanese "cool--" Miike is way more visceral. I think Kill Bill's gore is well-placed. [quote]

I agree, it really depends on which type of Miike film you're talking about. Ichi The Killer would be a good example, for a number of reasons. Even though the gore is extreme, it is being used as a means to persuade the audience into wanting more and more of it, thus the equally anti-climatic end of the film. No big fight, no mass amount of violence. Using Miike's "Dead or Alive" which is hyper violent to almost the level of Kill Bill would be a perfect example.

Dead or Alive uses it's violence for violence, Kill Bill uses it an a artful way. I don't care for the Kill Bill movies, but I really do love certain parts of the films. It is style on top of style, with a side of style, and that's fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Quote:
He has made a movie (at least because it is a collection of everything he gets off on.

Wait a tick...could you be describing...art?!

I write surrealism because I get off on surrealism.

A musician plays x genre because they like that genre and they want other people to experience it too.

So, I don't really see your point in this tautology. I'm pretty sure that people who are fairly well-acquainted with pop-culture enjoy, on the whole, shows like The Simpsons or Family Guy (yes, both have gone done hill. bear with the example). I have a funny feeling fans of classic action cinema love Kill Bill! Maybe you'll soon come to the startling realization that sometimes, a particular work of art isn't aimed at everybody! Maybe next you'll stipulate that Kung Fu Hustle is too exclusive to Chinese culture/'cinema!

Okay, you can put your italics away. I promise I'll read everything you write and attach the proper significance to each part based on the context clues.

I think art is deeper than taking something you like and making something else that resembles it and presenting it to somebody so that they will like it, too. A musician preferring to play a genre because it pleases him is not art. A filmmaker styling his movies after other things he likes is not art. Art could occur if somebody takes a genre and works within it or subverts it and this particular application of that genre works toward a broader theme. But surface-level stylism is not art, even if other people enjoy it. Enjoyment can in many cases be a by-product of art, but is a pretty lousy objective.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think art is deeper than taking something you like and making something else that resembles it and presenting it to somebody so that they will like it, too.

There isn't really an argument here. First, you're diverting from your original point. Which was, I shall remind you:

Quote:
He has made a movie because it is a collection of everything he gets off on.

So, first it was about how it's all for him (a so-called "masturbatory" exercise), and now you claim that it's the fact that...what, homages suck? Once again, you don't seem to be good at using redundancy to your advantage. I mean, taking this argument at face value, you seem to be unintentionally arguing against all homages and derivative works; but this is again contrary to the nature of art. Ideas stem from other ideas; memes grow into other memes; whether deliberate or inadvertent, derivative works are always made and are the lifeblood of artistic expression.

Also, if you think the purpose of art isn't to have it view by others (and ideally contemplated/enjoyed), then I ask you why all artists do not keep their work to themselves?

Quote:
A musician preferring to play a genre because it pleases him is not art.

I think you misunderstood me.

Jeff Mangum, of Neutral Milk Hotel, is playing his music the way he likes it because he wants to--while he's not saying 'MAI MOOZIKA IS THIS AND THATS WUT I LYKE 2 PLAY," he is obviously fond of a certain style, or aesthetic*, and he enjoys playing it (otherwise, he would not still be a musician). Now--his music is released and purchasable by the public at large. He is playing it because he likes it, and he hopes other people will too.

Explain to me how that's not art?

Quote:
A filmmaker styling his movies after other things he likes is not art.

Someone needs to...I was going to say film school, but I think even people who haven't and are fond of movies would balk at this statement. I almost feel like it's pointless to explain this to you, because if you don't understand it, there is clearly something fundamentally wrong in all your arguments.

Quote:
Enjoyment can in many cases be a by-product of art, but is a pretty lousy objective.

I just laughed when I read this. Okay, humor me: define art for me. Are you a nihilist, or something? Are you saying art is suffering, or something? I fail to understand how the most basic and important tenet of artistic expression is lost to you.

By the way, despite my harsh tone and seriousness about what I'm saying, I don't...resent you or anything. Arguments on the intarwub can get pretty heated pretty fast, and often because both parties feel like the others being a shitcock. Even if you think I am--I hold no personal grudge against you (except that your mother's a whore).

edit: Too condescending to actually join the discussion? That's okay, just add a clipped remark that makes it seem like you can't be bothered to care about the thread:

Quote:
Man, good thing we're talking about what art is, that always goes somewhere.

Yeah! It's not like there's actually a lot of real philosophy and discussion behind human creation, especially on a site and forum ostensibly devoted to the very topic! It's always hippies smoking pot and muttering the same trite phrases over and over again!

I'd appreciate if you'd at least humor me/him and read what I write instead of writing me/us off.

*woops, italics again!1 i don't know what you think i'm implying with these lovelies, but i like to type how i might speak. so i add emphasis.

Last edited by Lockeownzj00 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:53 pm; edited 6 times in total
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, good thing we're talking about what art is, that always goes somewhere.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Art is what you can get away with"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: