The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St. Louis curiosity thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: St. Louis curiosity thread Reply with quote

I believe a number of the folks here live in St. Louis (Shaper? Wes? I can't keep it all straight.) Anyway, I was just curious as to the extent and impact of the recent power outages, or any particularly adverse effects of the heat wave. I'm a sucker for stories about that kind of thing.

And on a more prideful note, are y'all still smarting from the Braves' recent domination of your Redbirds?
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also live in St. Louis, in a third-person, bizarrely self-referential way. No power outages, though.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I talked about the power-out a little recently. It was out for a total of 5 days. I had to sleep in the basement after the first night becasue it was so hot. Nothing exciting really. I hung out at Barnes and Nobel and Panera (St. Louis Bread Co. here) waiting for someone sitting at a power outlet to leave. I didn't get one until Saturday where I parked myself for 8 hours. The finally shut off the internet to my computer ;_;

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my power was out from last Wednesday until late Monday night. It was a nuisance, but nothing too, too bad. The first night was really the only thing I'd call spectacular at all. I was eating at a semi-expensive restaurant with my mom and girlfriend when we looked out of the window and noticed the trees swaying. Not the small trees, the big ones. Huge trees that usually don't move much at all were moving in increments of 10 feet or so. The lights inside of the restaurant started flickering slightly, but it didn't seem to be anything big. We continued eating.

A bit later it started raining. Because of how strong the wind was blowing, the rain was falling almost horizontally instead of vertically, it was really odd. Then the power went off. People were rushing around the restaurant, mentioning that a tree had fallen down on top of a VW Buggy outside. The restaurant kept serving, and the fire in the back of the restaurant that they were cooking their food on raged on. We wanted to leave, but it was still really rainy and windy outside, so we ordered some desert. The fire started making the restaurant really hot, and really smoky, and everyone started opening windows. I took off my button-down shirt and laid it on the chair behind me. We ate desert and looked out of the window to watch the sky become filled with lightning.

As we finished our desert, the storm died down a bit so we paid our bill using the bar computer, which was apparently hooked up to some sort of generator.

As I left, it was just getting late and the sky was litertally bright orange in color. It looked like something out of a post apocalyptic movie. I drove down the street to the first stoplight. The stoplight wasn't working because of the power outage, but because the rain had fallen through such hot weather it was evaporating off of the pavement in a blue haze. I stared at the blue haze, the orange sky, the broken stoplight, and the various fallen trees around me and was convinced that I had warped into a Zombie movie.

So I drove home, found out that my house was the only one on my block that didn't have power, and went and stayed with the rest of my family in the west part of St. Louis, who didn't get hit nearly as bad, for the rest of the week.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you STL guys want to get together for some 3rd Strike or KoFXI/98?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helljyeah! But it'll have to wait until after the 18th (at least).

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, same boat. I can't do much for at least a week man.

Also, I havn't really played KOF in a while, and I aparently suck anyways. But I'm game.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prod me on aim sometime, then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: