The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Xbox Murders: Life and Death

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: The Xbox Murders: Life and Death Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/01/xbox.sentencing.ap/index.html

Was it really the Xbox that killed these people, or caused them to be killed? I doubt it. SOunds to me like some ultra conservative media source trying to put the blame of murder elsewhere instead of on the person who committed it.

What do you think?
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the article makes it pretty obvious that this has less to do with a video game console and more to do with the relationship the men held with the victims.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so my great post about hugenots and putting the implement on trial got lost so basically the deal is this: violent games have less frisson, as it were, than we all think. the ESA is still putting on dinners to buy off various politicians (clinton and lieberman were two choice picks) but for the most part, unless rockstar releases their latest right before the '08 elections it really won't be that much of an issue. the whole thing is just a weird sideshow.

or in other words:
guns don't kill people - people kill people.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Video games dont' kill people ... unless you're that kid in China that played for 53 hours straight and had a brain anneurism (sp?) and died.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
You mean Video games dont' kill people ... unless you're that kid in China that played for 53 hours straight and had a brain anneurism (sp?) and died.
I've heard a few stories like that out of China. Guys breaking up with girlfriends and basically living on Twinkies in a net cafe, then dying a month later.

Maybe this sort of thing happens all over the place, but there are so many more people and the Chinese government is so insistent on using the media to tell kids to go to school instead of net cafe that we only hear it from China.

There have to be Koreans keeling over in front of Starcraft monitors left and right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Xbox Murders: Life and Death Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/01/xbox.sentencing.ap/index.html

Was it really the Xbox that killed these people, or caused them to be killed? I doubt it. SOunds to me like some ultra conservative media source trying to put the blame of murder elsewhere instead of on the person who committed it.

What do you think?

CNN wrote:
Prosecutors said Victorino was angry with victim Erin Belanger, 22, who had him evicted when she found him living in her grandmother's home in Deltona. She kept some of his belongings, including some clothing and the video game system.

Replace "and the video game system" with "and other personal belongings". You get the same old story heard a thousand times before. At least now parents can warn their kids that Xboxen attract murderers and only hitmen and video game players kill families in their own house.[/quote]
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the sinking suspicion most of the died after xx hours of play things are probably largely fabricated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: