The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Netherlands opens gaming addiction clinic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Netherlands opens gaming addiction clinic Reply with quote

so are you guys into WoW or what
*christina*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really shouldn't want to know how many of you guys have peed in a bottle rather than leaving a game, but a horrible part of me is fascinated by this gross trivia.

I personally haven't just in case you were wondering. Autorun in WoW allows me to take pee breaks like any normal person. If another girl has I totally want to know because she must be the most amazing person ever.

~Christina

p.s. Some old roommates of mine used to consider having Depends parties but it never got beyond the hypothetic level.
p.p.s. Wes is totally going to kick me off the forums for writing these idiotic messages while I'm at work.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that lives in the Netherlands that informed me about this. I instantly thought about the three or four friends that I have lost to MMORPGs. Evil creatures they can be, it's sad to an extent that no one has discussed the postiive things about MMORPGS. Then again, it's pretty hard to think of any, it could help you become more socially active if you know other people that play the game that live near you. It defeats the purpose though if you only meet and talk to these people in the game.

This is interesting though, peeing in a bottle and all. I mean, god. That is hard core.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this the first? I figured Asia would have several of these centers by now.

Y'know with all the reports every other month of someone dying, getting killed, overexhausting themselves in some insane 72 hour marathon session.

My worst case was back when Diablo II was huge and I played for 14 hours straight. Granted, I had a couple of friends that were in the same dorm as I which of course helped it continue for so long. Teamwork and all that. Though at least we got up to take a bathroom break and get a drink between acts.

Guess anything could be an addiction if enough people do it.

Quote:
"I have no social life, I have no friends - only cyber-friends"

I wonder how many people that would apply to with the advent of online gaming and myspace?
Alc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who does nothing but play WoW all day, his girlfriend right along next to him. Should be "I had", I really haven't seen him since it came out because he never leaves the house. When we were younger he was the mirror opposite of a social recluse - always out, getting trashed and meeting loads of people. It's been really weird. Knowing how addicted I got to Diablo 2 I'm not even going to try it. The RSI in my wrist would probably prevent it anyway.

Also, I have never peed in a bottle whilst gaming to avoid going to the toilet. I can't really imagine when that would become the logical, appropriate course of action.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never played a MMORPG, for the same reason I've never taken smack.
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alc wrote:
Also, I have never peed in a bottle whilst gaming to avoid going to the toilet. I can't really imagine when that would become the logical, appropriate course of action.

I can't say that I have either. There have been a few times similar to when you wake up having to go but it's cold so you put it off and stay in bed until you're dangerously close to having a crappy story to tell your friends. I would like to say that a bottle wouldn't have been used, but I just can't. I suppose it says something that it goes Evacuation -> Gaming in order of (and the only times) I came close to using a bottle.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything compulsive is an addiction in the same way that any grouping of people who engage in any shared behavior (or even shared genetic traits) is a culture.

such is the age in which we live.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is, have you urinated in a bottle when there was a bathroom nearby?
Six

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
The real question is, have you urinated in a bottle when there was a bathroom nearby?

I would, but I'm worried I might get addicted.

J-just kidding. Really.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

only a shampoo bottle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:

only a shampoo bottle.

So, you were actually in the bathroom?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i played football in high school.

for the uninitiated, pissing in someone's shampoo bottle gives them a horrible rash.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain the attraction of mmporgs? I have tried two or three and from what I have seen they all seem to be terrible games. The combat (and it seems everything else in the game) seems to be just a bunch of repetitive actions with no inherent 'fun'. If they put that combat in a single player game nobody would buy it. Is it just a social thing?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're putting that combat in FFXII. So we'll see how that turns out.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The appeal is in building something, in a steady and predictable levels of achievement. This as opposed to the real world where you can work very hard and earn nothing, or the opposite.

MMORPGs are designed such that level of involvement, literally the amount of hours you spend, is directly proportional to how much you succeed and how you much you aquire. It's the American dream made real; if you work hard and apply yourself fully the world will reward you. Plus a lot of people find the fantasy world (usually) metaphor engaging, and find some satisfaction in the strategy, even though it is often shallow or a form of meta-gaming (consulting tables, macroing, and the like).

I've tried many MMORPGs, though each for only a brief period, because I hoped to find what the form suggests. That is, a pocket world with the social interaction, struggle, and constructive action that implies. You know, a sort of virtual frontier world. This dream hasn't panned out though.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that's because progression in MMORPGs is fircely introverted in terms of game design and mechanics.

To put the David Hexler way, you're not allowed to own property.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean because ultimately it's all controlled by the developers?
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vf10a wrote:
Can someone explain the attraction of mmporgs? I have tried two or three and from what I have seen they all seem to be terrible games. The combat (and it seems everything else in the game) seems to be just a bunch of repetitive actions with no inherent 'fun'. If they put that combat in a single player game nobody would buy it. Is it just a social thing?

Is it a social thing? My belief is that it is, in most cases, particularly in the case of WoW, which is hands-down the most successful incarnation of an MMORPG. I have several friends who have played WoW, who candidly admit to me that the game mechanics are flawed and boring, and what keeps them going is the friends they've made whilst taking part in these repetitive actions.

I've never played WoW myself, a fact I'm absurdly proud of, but my experience with other MMO's has been similar. City of Villains for example, has the best character-creation system ever, yet the game mechanics are intensely uninteresting and there's no incentive to participate without the peer pressure of other players whose company you enjoy.

Lackey wrote:
The appeal is in building something, in a steady and predictable levels of achievement. This as opposed to the real world where you can work very hard and earn nothing, or the opposite.

This is only partially true, I'd argue - many games don't let you physically build anything anymore, or even influence the landscape in any manner, be it physical or financial. Long gone are the Ultimata days of player-owned housing that was bigger than the cities around it, and very few people comparatively play EVE Online, where players have total sandbox-freedom to do whatever they wish.

Your comment about predictable levels of achievement rings very true with me, though - I think people expect and want the same rewards as everybody else and have an instinctive wariness of the sort of freedom where you make your own rewards.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, the thing I talk about building is the player character. It's very individualist in a way; all your capital rests in the character's attributes. I consider personal property to be an attribute in most MMORPGs simply because owning something means it sort of dissappears into Inventory Space. If anything, property laws are more real in online games than in real life because the real world doesn't acknowledge who owns what; it's all just stuff.

EVE Online interests me. If I had the time I'd play it because from what I've heard it involves a great deal of social wrangling.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paging that incredible EVE article to this thread.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vf10a wrote:

They already have and they sell like cupcakes.

Don't ask me why.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey now:

http://www.civanon.org/

this is clever, straight down to the design. a bit weird, maybe, but isn't immersiveness the flipside of "addiction" in this context?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Paging that incredible EVE article to this thread.

This one? I thought it was a true story at first, but nobody's stupid enough to actually name it ZZZZ Best. Right?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: