The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Night Raid Hug Launcher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Night Raid Hug Launcher Reply with quote

After Giga Wing and Giga Wing 2, Takumi decided to make an interesting shooter for the PS1 titled Night Raid. It is one of those games that stayed up around the $50 and I never got a chance to play. Did anyone ever get to play it? Anyone have it?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo. Apologies for the grainy Palm camera image.

It's funny--I've seen a few reviews of the game online (IC has one; can't remember the other one) but I've never met a real live person who's ever heard of the game before. It's, uh... really, really interesting, and I mean that in a good way.

First off, it's really cool, graphically. The game reminds me of Radiant Silvergun in its blending of polygonal and sprite-based characters, and it really shows off the power of the Playstation in its later years, with very little slowdown. The backgrounds are all these weird, abstract vistas with lots of trippy 3D shit floating around in them--also like some of the later RSG levels.

The music is also really, really cool. As opposed to your typical techno-type tracks or chirpy chiptunes, Night Raid has a really amazing crunching hard rock soundtrack to it, something that really gets your blood pumping to blow things up.

Okay, so gameplay. First off, it's a Takumi shooter, which means a complicated scoring system involved on chaining little medallions, curtain fire, and a freaking sixteen-digit score counter. You also only take damage from colliding with a bullet--your ship passes right over every enemy, provided they don't choose that moment to send a barrage of pink firepower up your tailpipe.
The scoring system is really, really bizarre. For every enemy you kill, they drop one or more little collectable triangle thingies. A meter on the left side of the screen keeps track of how many you've collected, and obviously there's a score multiplier involved with the more you collect. Collect one, the meter goes up by one. HOWEVER. Miss collecting a triangle, and the meter goes down. Miss collecting a whole bunch of triangles, your meter goes to the negative, and your score will actually start decreasing. It is indeed possible to finish a level with a negative score, and in fact the game provides not one but three different hi-score tables: One for the highest scores, one for the lowest negative scores, and one for 'near-zero', basically, the closest to a flat zero score you can come by alternately collecting and ignoring the little score triangles.
Of course, you have your standard powerup tokens, but what really helps is the "Hug Launcher" attack. While I'm not entirely sure how to go about pulling it off, it basically involves tapping the Hug Launcher button while the screen is full of enemies, and watching as your ship does a nice impression of a pinball, careening from enemy to enemy and destroying them all. The advantage of this is, aside from its smart-bomb capability, is that you collect triangles as the enemies release them, so it's extremely helpful if you're playing for a high score.

The game is a bit of an oddity--released as a Playstation title in 2002, against all speculation that if it got a console port, it would be on the PS2. The game was also self-published by Takumi instead of Capcom as with all of their previous offerings, and the publishing costs combined with a relatively small print run could be the reason we're not seeing much of Takumi anymore.

All in all, it's quite a fun game, and if you can find it for $50 or less after shipping, it's not a bad deal at all, especially if you enjoy games with complicated scoring schemes.

EDIT: My bad--the Hug Launcher does not facilitate the collecting of triangle thingies; however, the paths traced by the player's ship during the Hug Launcher attack convert to the triangles after the combo is stopped, hence the strategy involved in getting as many ricochets as possible.
Fred

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hug launcher is a good name for anything. ANYTHING.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any game that involves a Hug Launcher and ins't a sequel to Moonwalker sounds like an instant classic.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Any game that involves a Hug Launcher and ins't a sequel to Moonwalker sounds like an instant classic.
The game wasn't that bad. Particularly the arcade game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a bad game at all. It's just creepy as hell. Granted, I tend to have a weird outlook on things, but still.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
It wasn't a bad game at all. It's just creepy as hell. Granted, I tend to have a weird outlook on things, but still.
I played through the arcade machine at a ski resort in New Hampshire. I was on a boy scout trip of some sort, and didn't downhill ski, so I was the only guy off cross country skiing by myself. When I got bored, I found the arcade and pumped quarters into Moonwalker.

This was before the Boy Scouts became the anti-gay Christo-fascist nazi scouts. It wasn't cool then, but it wasn't a deliberately discriminatory organization.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Hug Launcher' just sounds really bizarre and out-of-place for the game, but I have no idea what else it could possibly translate to. I've seen a few reviews call it a 'Hog Launcher', but as the Japanese is ハグランチャー, that doesn't fly at all. Maybe it's referring to a flying-tackle sort of hug?

Also, Shaper: I totally forgot, but Night Raid is not a PSX original title, it was actually a port from Taito's GNet arcade hardware. It was a system that used PCMCIA-like cards to store the game data, which were then swapped Neo-Geo (or Atomiswave, or NAOMI, or PGM, or...) style. Other notable games running on the system were the first Shikigami no Shiro, Triangle Service's mediocre XII Stag, and several oddball varieties of P s yvriar.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:
I played through the arcade machine at a ski resort in New Hampshire. I was on a boy scout trip of some sort, and didn't downhill ski, so I was the only guy off cross country skiing by myself. When I got bored, I found the arcade and pumped quarters into Moonwalker.

The joke pretty much writes itself.

Kidding. I'll shoot my hug launcher at you if you want ;p
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:
The joke pretty much writes itself.

Kidding. I'll shoot my hug launcher at you if you want ;p
I know, but that's the story.

I suppose you might as well. My girlie may take offense though.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
I suppose you might as well. My girlie may take offense though.

She doesn't have to know...

(and thus, this thread somehow continues to get stranger by the moment)
wourme

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:

For whatever reason, Moonwalker was the first game I loaded up when I disocvered MAME years ago. And it was still fun. Is it okay to admit that I still find the film entertaining in places. too? "It's just a plug."

Quote:
This was before the Boy Scouts became the anti-gay Christo-fascist nazi scouts. It wasn't cool then, but it wasn't a deliberately discriminatory organization.

Did they really change, or is it just perception based on shifting social views? Weren't those policies always there? I still have my badges and things--somewhere.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wourme"]
J.Goodwin wrote:
Quote:
Did they really change, or is it just perception based on shifting social views? Weren't those policies always there? I still have my badges and things--somewhere.
I don't know. It's a legitimate question, but I can say that in my area, the troops definitely had some gay scouts etc. I was living in Chicago when the whole thing went south, and a lot of the troops up there basically broke off from BSA and made up their own organization.

So even if the policy was there, enforcing it was against what at least some of the troops had in mind. And I don't believe there was ever a written policy on gays in scouting.
wourme

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
It's a legitimate question, but I can say that in my area, the troops definitely had some gay scouts etc. I was living in Chicago when the whole thing went south, and a lot of the troops up there basically broke off from BSA and made up their own organization.

So even if the policy was there, enforcing it was against what at least some of the troops had in mind. And I don't believe there was ever a written policy on gays in scouting.

Yeah, if they started applying that to the scouts themselves and not just to the leaders, that would have been a policy change, I think. One policy that did apply to actual scouts, though, was that they weren't supposed to be openly athiestic. I've never heard of that actually coming up and being enforced, though.

This isn't really on topic anymore, is it?

This isn't either, but something amusing I came across a couple years ago was a Commodore 64 version of a Michael Jackson song (requires something that plays SID music files). They even synthesized his vocal flourishes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: