The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xenosaga 3 and KOF: Maximum Impact 2 due out in Japan soon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Xenosaga 3 and KOF: Maximum Impact 2 due out in Japan soon Reply with quote

I was wondering if anybody had any first impressions of these games yet. I got a chance to see the new "preview" movie for Xenosaga 3 at a game shop in Nagoya this week and it looks pretty good. No noticable improvements over the graphics from the previous two, but the grand cinematics from Xenosaga 1 seem to be back. I wonder if they got a new scenario writer or something . . .

And I played the demo game of MI: 2. I had a great time playing it. I liked the first one, and the second one has a lot more characters not featured in the first one. Gameplay felt smoother too. Are these just two shite games nobody cares about?
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Xenosaga 3 and KOF: Maximum Impact 2 due out in Japan so Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
Are these just two shite games nobody cares about?
Bingo!

As for Xenosaga, playing RPGs in Japanese is a major chore. You miss out on the story so all you have left to concentrate on is gameplay. I was totally lost in Xenosaga for its entirety when I played through it in Japanese. From what I understand, this may have been the optimal experience!

KOF might be ok, but really SNK can't make 3D games to save their life, so you might want to skip out. I'd recommend that 2D SNK dream match game that came out earlier this year instead.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Capcom Vs. SNK Chaos the other day, along with my favorite KOF 2002 and Guilty Gear XX. I also tried the Fist of the North Star video game! I think my favorite was Guilty Gear XX, followed by KOF 2002. Just love those games.

I also noticed that Xenosaga 3 was showing ONLY the movies from the game, which seems to be the only thing games do these days when you KNOW that the gameplay and in game graphics are poor and boring (like Xenosaga 2, which I STILL hate with a passion and am only 10 hours into). However, I DID take a video of the KOF: Maximum Impact game and will put it up on my Myspace account so you can view it if you'd like. I didn't think it was that bad! In your opinion, what IS the best 3-D fighter out there? Soul Caliber?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your opinion, what IS the best 3-D fighter out there? Soul Caliber?

I'm not a huge fan of 3D fighters, but my favorite is probably DOA, followed by Soul Calibur, followed by Virtua Fighter, followed by Tekken. If Powerstone counts I'd probably put that in #1. I have really bad taste in 3D fighters.

I pretty much can't stand King of Fighters in general, but this is probably more the result of me never having friends who like SNK fighting games and SNK having horrible single player AI than it is an actualjudgement of the games.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried the Fist of the North Star video game!

Froth.

How was it?

LJ -- Profile
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed that Xenosaga 3 was showing ONLY the movies from the game, which seems to be the only thing games do these days when you KNOW that the gameplay and in game graphics are poor and boring (like Xenosaga 2, which I STILL hate with a passion and am only 10 hours into).

I don't think Xenosaga 3's going to have much gameplay at all. I don't see how people can be like "OMG, 80 HOUR RPG!!!!" when most of the game is just cinema sequences anyway.

I'm going to buy Maximum Impact 2 when it comes out over here. In fact, I'll probably pre-order it sometime this week. Oddly enough, I'll probably get more value out of it than I'll get out of any other game this year (save for maybe MGS3: Subsistence and possibly Oblivion if I ever get around to upgrading my PC).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I have really bad taste in 3D fighters.

As shown by your list!

Anyways, I have a friend who would make Wes cry at any fighting game and he is actually enjoying KOF: MI2. He hated the first one as well. So... I don't know perhaps it is good. Wes' statement about SNK not being able to make a 3D game is true, but... I mean... things change, right?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:

Froth.

How was it?

Haha, it was different, or at least felt different than your SFs or KOF games. I picked Ken and had him doing his wild scream while punching a guy (especially that super fat guy). Being a button masher and all out offense guy, I lost in the 4th match . . . takes some skill to pull off the combos. People that take time to learn fighting games would like it though.

Here's a link to the gameplay of KOF:MI2

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=719568476&n=2

The physics look to be pretty good ...
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preliminary thoughts: I loved Xenogears (though the story was a bit puerile). I loved Xenosaga, despite its "so immaculate it looks fake" graphics and the tedius battles (I tell you, the game was a vehicle for the story, not the other way around, for me. I anxiously waited for cut-scenes).

Xenosaga 2...disappointed me. I want to love it. I probably still could if I kept playing. But the plain stupid battle system (which is just more dumbed down than the previous iteration's), coupled with some of the most ear-piercing, annoying MIDI-music, and the same shitty voice actors, made me stop. And then there were the stupid cut-scenes that had nothing to do with anything--not even story! Scenes which could have been done in text.

I don't know if I can really anticipate Xenosaga 3. I like the universe and its ideas. But if I have to play through anything like that tripe again to experience it, I'm just going to have to pass it up. As if I'm not already pissed that Xenosaga is merely a derivative universe of Xenogears (why the fuck couldn't they just connect them!)

Quote:

As for Xenosaga, playing RPGs in Japanese is a major chore. You miss out on the story so all you have left to concentrate on is gameplay. I was totally lost in Xenosaga for its entirety when I played through it in Japanese. From what I understand, this may have been the optimal experience!

Eeegh. Yeah, bad idea. Playing through RPGs in Japanese for me is an awesome learning tool (since I study the language, it's the optimal format--a video-game with lots of text, meaning lots of practice). I would never play through a story-driven game in a language I can't understand.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:

Froth.

How was it?

Haha, it was different, or at least felt different than your SFs or KOF games. I picked Ken and had him doing his wild scream while punching a guy (especially that super fat guy). Being a button masher and all out offense guy, I lost in the 4th match . . . takes some skill to pull off the combos. People that take time to learn fighting games would like it though.

Here's a link to the gameplay of KOF:MI2

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=719568476&n=2

The physics look to be pretty good ...

Fist of the North Star is awesome! It's sprites are all in that 80's anime style with superhero proportions like the television series, and the moves and attacks are all ridiculously implemented. My only complaint is that it seriously lacks inbetweening but besides that the game is ridiculously enjoyable.

Also, KOF XI is amazingly good to look at and the new characters are very fun to use!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a quick update about Xenosaga 3. It was released two days ago here in Japan. I was in Nagoya over the weekend and stopped by the Sofmap in the station there. I was able to see the gameplay and in game graphics, and I have to say I'm impressed. While still far from being perfect, it has fixed MANY of the things I wanted to set fire to the game for.

For starters, you get to use the GEARS much more in this game (I saw at least 5 different parts using the gears in this game demo movie, and I think there were perhaps 3 in Xenosaga II altogether). I was also glad to see the characters and Mechs MOVING faster in this game. I was sick and tired of how freaking slow they were in the last game. What's the point of having all the enemies on the screen if it was impossible to DODGE the mofos? That REALLY angered me in the last one. It was such a tease. The combo system looked a little better too, with lots of damage being done to REALLY cool looking enemies. I remember in the original Xenogears you could dish out some SERIOUS damage towards the end of the game, but I never cracked 10,000 in Xenosaga 2, even with a Mech.

Another cool thing I saw was the backgrounds and design. I thought X2 was painfully bland and boring, but this new one has sweet moving backgrounds, and a time shift program that switches between day and night. The character designs also seemed a lot better this time around, with a darker mood all around. Gonna be a while before we hear how HORRIBLE the voices are though ... and same with the music. Hope that crap is fixed ..

And Persona, Persona 3 is coming out this weekend I believe.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, what? In Japan, right?

So I'm getting better at the Hokuto no Ken fighting game. I have to say, it's fucking great to be able to chain a combo into a destroyer - especially when you get that awesome YOU WA SHOCK rift playing when you pull it off. Man, I'm addicted.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some odd reason, when I saw Persona 3, I was like "You know Ryan, that Persona guy on TGQ probably would want to hear about this . . . and be somewhat hateful that you're in Japan and not taking advantage of all the gaming goodness here.

SO yeah ...
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
I have really bad taste in 3D fighters.

As shown by your list!

Shaper is filled with lies and treachery, along with more human attributes like bones and squishy organs.

DOA as a series doesn't get NEARLY the love it deserves, and the love it does get is usually the wrong sort. Aside from the amazingly pretty engine and the girls, DOA has amazingly complex gameplay. The reversal and counter systems really help it stand head and shoulder above many other 3D fighters, and watching two people skilled with the game is just amazing--it really starts to look like some hyperactive martial arts battle out of some Hong Kong action flick.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some odd reason, when I saw Persona 3, I was like "You know Ryan, that Persona guy on TGQ probably would want to hear about this . . . and be somewhat hateful that you're in Japan and not taking advantage of all the gaming goodness here.

SO yeah ...

The Persona series is alright. I prefer the original Megaten series more.

dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:

The Persona series is alright. I prefer the original Megaten series more.
I am calling you out
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
DOA has amazingly complex gameplay.

Huh?
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:

Huh?

Exactly what I said. Have you ever watched two people who know what they're doing play DOA? It's beautiful when you finally get the reversals and counters down right--the match plays out in a fast-paced, fluid manner similar to--as I said before--some kung-fu movie fight scene or anime battle. The flipside is, like with all good fighting games, it's damn hard to get the timing perfect for said moves, but it adds a whole new level to your gameplay once you start to figure it out.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still want to play DOA Beach Volleyball. Isn't a sequel due out?
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I heard something to that effect in the E3 news.

Mind you, I'm not advocating DOAXVB as being amazingly complex, or even amazing or complex seperately. Just the authentic fighters--and not really DOA1, with its terrifying Jello-Boobitron™ physics and its bland gameplay. Although, the explosive zones outside the ring were pretty cool.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
JasonMoses wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:

Huh?

Exactly what I said. Have you ever watched two people who know what they're doing play DOA? It's beautiful when you finally get the reversals and counters down right--the match plays out in a fast-paced, fluid manner similar to--as I said before--some kung-fu movie fight scene or anime battle. The flipside is, like with all good fighting games, it's damn hard to get the timing perfect for said moves, but it adds a whole new level to your gameplay once you start to figure it out.

Rock-Scissors-Paper also looks rad at competitions.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah. You're probably one o' them Tekken fans, aren't you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: