The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

let's talk about pixel art!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: let's talk about pixel art! Reply with quote

admittedly, i am starting this thread just to draw attention to my new pixel blog, but i will provide content!

pixels are elusive and mysterious! many of us first encountered pixel characters in videogames, where the pixel was (is?) the medium of communication between game and player. though videogames remain the primary source of detailed pixel designs, a number of artists, designers and webcomicsists (eboy, for example, and army of trolls) have brought the pixel outside of the context of the videogame to their design and web work.

though perhaps there's a phantom context that follows the work, making it readily accessible to those who have grown up with videogames!

nfg wrote a book on pixelling a while ago. it's full of big, glossy, colorful pages. since he's nfg, he talks a lot about the hardware of portable platforms, then about the technical aspects of spriting. he doesn't dwell much on craft - if you're looking for a tutorial, this is not the place (try here!). he does print a lot of interesting context, like sprite histories of mario, sonic and knight arthur.

a lot of the images are mislabelled, though, and sadly, though nfg spends a page on the right and wrong ways to resize pixels, a few of the book's pixel sheets have been resized the wrong way. it's a bit disappointing to see. but it's still a good tome to have around.

here are some pixels! here's an image i did of some of the gamer's quarter staff, with a four color palette, based on a picture by persona in issue 6. locate your favorite staffers!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all time favorite exercise in pixel art was the long lost pixeltime, part of the now defunct online art site "word.com"

45*45 pixels, 16 color pallette, themed galleries and contests (with small real world prizes, even), and presided over by this brilliant Mr. Rogers meets Blue Man Group and Max Headroom avatar "The Pixel Master"

I have a tribute page at http://www.kisrael.com/pixeltime/

my personal achievements include a nice 3*4 pixel font for both upper case and lower case, and then an "interesting" technological hack to reproduce b+w images in it automagically... breaking the spirit but not the letter of the law.

I'm tempted to try and revive the site. Unfortunately, my online friendship w/ the guy who did the work (and got me sheets of all the ones I made for the site) has gone astray as of late.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized I can probably very easily make a pixelized version of Swimmy in better proportions and use that as my avatar for everything ever.

Uh. Bee arr bee.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you manage being vegan without eating mushrooms? Weirddd...

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

i know you've showed that to me before, kirk, but wow, that vibrator drawing is fantastic. i may have to "cover" it, if that's okay with you!

also the produce section is hot.

also next friday's post is inspired by a project of yours, swimmy! remind me to ask if i'm allowed to link the relevent google pages page.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was fun. Anyone know how to scale it slightly without the annoying shading effects Paint and GIMP add? I'd like to keep it monochrome but it's slightly too big to be my avatar.

Also if any pixelperts want to give me any tips to clean it up, I'd take them. This is fun. I'd like to learn how to do this better.

And yes, Dess, you're free to link that site. Which reminds me, I haven't updated in a while.

-seryogin
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

i know you've showed that to me before, kirk, but wow, that vibrator drawing is fantastic. i may have to "cover" it, if that's okay with you!

also the produce section is hot.

Well, be my guest. Actually I had no recollection of showing the stuff to you, but don't take it personally, my goldfish memory doesn't allow for many such recollections.

My girlfriend at the time was a little non-plussed when she realized I had drawn "her" vibrator. I think that was specificlly for a contents called "machinery" or some such.

Are you going to be sticking with a "gameboy"ish pallete, dess? I have to admit in some ways the mushrooms seem less "pixel arty" to me, more like a lovely hand drawn rendering that was then reduced and limited to 4 colors...

Speaking of that...

Swimmy, what tools do you like to use?

A lot of programs have options about how to resize, if they antialias and stuff or jsut do a "pixel resize". And most have options to slam it into a small number of colors. One trick is to take a simple image, reduce it, then expand it using a mix of "pixel resize" and "only 2 colors", though you still often have to resize things by hand. (I tried it on your current avatar, and the eye got kind of munged. That's an interesting thing about working with pixels, like with cartoons or icons in general, sometimes certain "interesting" features should be made bigger or more prominent than a strict resizing algorithm would allow for.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, a lot of pixel art prefers strong 90 angles rather than your avatar's more natural one.

There's an Atari homebrew called Go Fish! that you could probably freely steal from... screenshots at http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=2721

I don't know if you prefer to reduce your current avatar, rather than grabbing one of these and optionally painting it black and adjusting the distinctinve rear fin, but it's an idea
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Are you going to be sticking with a "gameboy"ish pallete, dess?

oh, heavens no. but i am limiting all my work to four colors, just because it challenges me to be more inventive (and pixelations with too many colors are ugly). i'm also trying not to use black and white in the same image, too, and to usually pick colors that are similiar in value instead of lending to easy gradients (like the self-portrait on my blog, ahem).

anyway, i'm always going to be looking for ideas, so people who have them should just go ahead and suggest them. i'll do portraits and stuff from photos too. you'll be famous forever.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wait, how does one go about creating pixel art? The only piece I've ever done was a goldfish for a Feel the Magic T-shirt, but that was done in Adobe Illustrator since it had to be vector art and I ended up making one standard-sized "pixel" and copy/pasting it over and over for the rest.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a tribute to The Creatures in my Head, namely this entry:

(I don't know why I decided he was green.)

A lot of pixel art tutorials start with "Draw something first, either on tablet or with your mouse." Problem is I'm terrible at just drawing things. After that I can pretty easily tell which pixels need modified, but man. Drawing something first is hard.

-seryogin
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
A lot of pixel art tutorials start with "Draw something first, either on tablet or with your mouse." Problem is I'm terrible at just drawing things. After that I can pretty easily tell which pixels need modified, but man. Drawing something first is hard.

you should try pixelling from a photo. that's where my self-portrait

came from. open the photo in paint shop pro or photoshop and resize it extra small. then create a new layer on top of the original photo. choose a palette and - with a copy of the original, unresized photo open on the side - start deciding which pixels should be which color. if you want an easy excersize, just use different shades of the same color.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's how. Sweet. I just made one of my friend Cate:

8 colors.

-seryogin
Six

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampires need cool hats.

Yeah, I don't really know either.

Maybe Lackey will come by later! He does some pretty sweet pixels.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, this used to be my "signature" portrait though I don't think I ever used it as an avatar:

2 colors. Fun with high contrast.

The picture it came from is kind of goofy, doesn't hint it will be that high contrast:
http://kisrael.com/journal.aux/old_title_source..jpg

And in trying to "recreate" the steps, I learned: much better to shrink, then reduce colors then to reduce colors and then shrink. Which makes sense, now that I think about it.[/img]
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: let's talk about pixel art! Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
a lot of the images are mislabelled, though, and sadly, though nfg spends a page on the right and wrong ways to resize pixels, a few of the book's pixel sheets have been resized the wrong way. it's a bit disappointing to see. but it's still a good tome to have around.

I belive he was very upset when the book was released about these things. I could be wrong, but I remember him mentioning something about it.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: let's talk about pixel art! Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

I belive he was very upset when the book was released about these things. I could be wrong, but I remember him mentioning something about it.

Hmm, was "The Ultimate History of Video Games" that big coffee table book? There was one of those heavy books that had all these screenshots, but from MAME; it was super lame to see a pixelated asteroids ships, say, when the original was pure vectors.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you mean the High-Score history of video games. I don't really consider the Ultimate History as a coffee table book. It's good reading, just oversized.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a couple more of these.

Laura.

And myself.

This is fun.

-seryogin

Last edited by Swimmy on Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please please please don't save pixels as jpegs? jpeg compression is just horrible for any image with a small palette. gif and png are so much pixel-friendlier.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, whoops, I didn't. Facebook automatically converted them. I only linked there because it was convenient, and it's fixed now.

Yeah, I noticed that about jpegs. It messed my little green monster up something fierce.

-seryogin
Six

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm kind of enjoying it!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six, I love yours. Please tell me that's your afro.

I kinda fudged the eyes on the helmet, so I just blanked it.

-seryogin
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of pixel art... tell me again what the invaders with the heart is all about? it's really nifty.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for the video, but I can't find it. It's a Space Invaders vid by Ken Ishii. It's really great, actually.

_Marcel Duchamp
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It got taken off youtube, looks like. Luckily, I saved it!

-seryogin
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, do you guys want to do a pixel making game? All we have to do is find a photo or a screencap of a 3D game, section it off, divy out the sections, and then pixelize it. I think it could turn out pretty cool, especially if we put it all together at the end. Anyone up for it?

_Marcel Duchamp
Six

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! I am intrigued.

Swimmy: The hair is all mine.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a portrait I did of myself in Commodore 64 hires mode:

I've been doing pixel art for years, it's fun and relaxing. Here's another, 4 colour image:

And a pixel comic done with NES colours:

I wouldn't really recommend colour-reducing and tracing although I guess it works for your needs. Graphics Gale is a really handy program for doing lowres art, it's what I use.

Oh, Dess, you might appreciate the 100 invaders I drew for the game of the same title.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that game was totally featured in my gamesetwatch column.

i used graphicsgale to do the sprites for invader, and i found it pretty overrated. paint shop pro serves my needs just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage of GG is it's palette and animation handling. Some of the best artists I know use Pro Motion though, and I've never been able to get the hang of it.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has gotten cooler than I ever expected.

That Space Invaders video was great, though I think it glosses over one of the central messages of the game, and of retrogaming in general: in the end, the Invaders win.

But I dig your icon from it!

Lackey, is it ok to repost your 100 Invaders, dually credited? Also would you be angry w/ a small derivative work? (maybe slowing down the animation...)
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do whatever you like with them! I don't think that little grid is the best way to see them anyway.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that, I'll post when I put it in kisrael, probably tomorrowish.

It reminds me a bit of this java applet I made, with all 7 of the critter types from the Imagic Atari 2600 game "Cosmic Ark"

http://kisrael.com/viewblog.cgi?date=2004.09.18

For interactivity, I accidentally turned it into a bit of a Katamari-ish feeling toy.

That and some other similar java stuff at
http://kisrael.com/features/java/

I was going to try and do something similar w/ 100 Invaders, but then I realized it had been done with much more loving attention to detail than I was prepared to give in the actual game. It's kind of a freaky thing though, w/ the ghosts, kind of like 8bit old school meets Ringu...
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's totally a game in that Cosmic Ark toy. I'm not sure quite how it would play, but the scattering effect when you release the button is neat.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
There's totally a game in that Cosmic Ark toy. I'm not sure quite how it would play, but the scattering effect when you release the button is neat.

Thanks... Yeah... one problem is that the guys tend to scatter into quadrants, because the logic for avoiding the pointer is simple X and Y axis based, instead of the critters figuring the best angle of escape...

Still, I loved the 2600 original, those critters were lovely studies in minimalism that I found super intriguing as a kid... I was very bummed that there was a "just meteorites mode" but no "just critter" setting.
Laco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man, I really want to try your Cosmic Ark toy thingy, but the java bar just keeps loading, eventually off the side of the screen. All the other toys work fine Sad
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laco, you might want to try giving it a minute or two-- it did the same thing to me, but eventually it just worked. Oh, and kirkjerk, that's an awesome 'toy'.

Wow, this thread has gotten me thinking about some pixel design that I always found appealing-- Necromancer, by Synapse Software, for (in my case at least) the Atari 8-bit computers. I'm going to have to dig that one up!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Laco, you might want to try giving it a minute or two-- it did the same thing to me, but eventually it just worked. Oh, and kirkjerk, that's an awesome 'toy'.

Wow, this thread has gotten me thinking about some pixel design that I always found appealing-- Necromancer, by Synapse Software, for (in my case at least) the Atari 8-bit computers. I'm going to have to dig that one up!

Oh, my friend had that! I was thinking you were talking about the port of "Neuromancer" that made it to the 8-bits, but I know the game you mean... I remember it as being quite awesome but I can't recall any of the gameplay details...
(googlegooglegoogle)
Aw, here's what ZZAP64 had to say about it:
http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/displaypage.pl?issue=017&page=114&thumbstart=0&magazine=zzap&check=1

Anyway, yeah, the platform that my Cosmic Ark toy is written in is a bit "heavy"... it's http://processing.org , a java-based IDE and API. I've heard by someone who does more work in Flash and what not that it might actually be better at handling hundreds of litle guys like that, but sometimes I wish I had my Flash or Shockwave mojo working...
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey andy.

you still reading us?
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh shut up

that's awesome!
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memories!

I never did fix that little hang when the tongue slides back in. But I have other things I need to be doing right now, so.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
next friday's post is inspired by a project of yours, swimmy!

psst.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap Dess I love you.

And I really need to make some new pictures.

-seryogin
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
iwow, that vibrator drawing is fantastic. i may have to "cover" it, if that's okay with you!

psst.

(bzzz.)

i'm fairly proud of the one going up on monday too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
iwow, that vibrator drawing is fantastic. i may have to "cover" it, if that's okay with you!

psst.

(bzzz.)

i'm fairly proud of the one going up on monday too.

teehee.

I had missed the "Hothead Paisan" one.... s'funny, just yesterday I had a friend asking me where that "Playing the Cello" idea had come from again...
Six

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY LORD YES.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this.

Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's amazing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: