The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Society for Non-Traditional RPGs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes all of your comparisons between NWN and tabletop RPG playing is pretty much moot because you only played the single player game. Which is terrible to say the least, and not the point at all. The main element that NWN added to bring it closer to Table Top D&D (which still makes it closer to a Table Top game than any other RPG) is the addition of the Dungeon Master. Yes the combat is real time, but that is not the point. The fact that people thought you could simulate a tabletop game with a one player mode is pretty silly, the other people are what make the experience of the tabletop game, not the sets of numbers. I am sorry that you never played it right.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new tagline:

The Gamer's Quarter is sorry that you never played it right.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

But to stay on topic, my favorite RPG that does things different is probably Vagrant Story. No more parties, no more epic quests, just a personal story, lots of stat management, and a whole lotta timed button presses. Beautiful!

Is Vagrant Story the Squaresoft one? I always confuse it with Valkryie Profile or whatever that other hotly-desired-game-starting-with-V is.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Wes all of your comparisons between NWN and tabletop RPG playing is pretty much moot because you only played the single player game. Which is terrible to say the least, and not the point at all. The main element that NWN added to bring it closer to Table Top D&D (which still makes it closer to a Table Top game than any other RPG) is the addition of the Dungeon Master. Yes the combat is real time, but that is not the point. The fact that people thought you could simulate a tabletop game with a one player mode is pretty silly, the other people are what make the experience of the tabletop game, not the sets of numbers. I am sorry that you never played it right.

Well yeah, I was going to put that qualifier in there, but lets go by the assumption that someone only had access to the single player game. Is it still more RPG than Diablo? If so, what is it that makes Neverwinter Nights an RPG where Diablo is a hack'n'slash action/adventure game?

Moreover, another thing to consider is whether the genre's roots as a pen and paper game really matter when it comes to whether or not it's an RPG? Didn't cRPGs and jRPGs sort of broaden the definition? Again, we're getting back to semantics, but I'm seriously curious what people think.

Also, I thought of another RPG: Gargoyle's Quest on the B&W GameBoy. That game is amazing.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
new tagline:

The Gamer's Quarter is sorry that you never played it right.

Equal parts tortured and smug, I think. Not so much actually sorry.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More chaff.

Madden NFL "is actually a tactical RPG that happens to use a football-like simulation as a combat mechanic."
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
f you're going to insist that SOTN is an RPG because it assigns numerical statistics to character attributes, you might as well just call every nearly single videogame a RPG and throw in the towel, because underneath every action platformer, every FPS, every sidescrolling shooter, are numerical statistics governing everything from how fast a character moves to the damage they deal to--yes--their hit points.

I think the difference is, RPGs are the games which take the underlying mathematical calculation sof all games and lay them out in the open--they turn the guts of gaming inside-out, perhaps which is why they're so interesting (at least to me). They not only wear their numbers on their sleeve (heh), they let you directly manipulate them by calculating which option (ie equipment) would be more beneficial (albeit a simple comparison--"which set of numbers will help me the best?")

Quote:
The key word is action. The game looked just like Diablo in new trimmings. All of the decision-making that I assumed was present in D&D was gone - replaced by hacking and slashing and a little menu at the bottom that was there to remind you that all of those actions were actually representations of dice rolls.

I kind of disagree. Isn't the entire point of tabletoppin' to emulate a real, immersive experience? I certainly consider Baldur's Gate more sophisticated than Diablo, even if they're both "technically" in real time. But isn't it like watching true martial artists fight? To a layman, it's a bunch of punches and kicks, but to a trained eye, one can see the sequences and phases of the battle as each move interacts with the other.

While these games have, er, animations, the underlying framework is turn-based (and I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't pause Black Isle games to contemplate their actions). And it does this all without feeling pointlessly fast-paced and still quite well-thought out. So isn't it, in reality, true to DnD (admittedly, I've only played a little NWN).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: