The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

planescape is immensely good thus far
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  

the nameless one...
will discover his true name and go on to win fabulous cash prizes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
will probably not do that
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
will neither find himself in a love triangle nor hate his dad
73%
 73%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 15

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For this reason, a lot of FAQs suggest you quicksave before every new conversation, and I largely agree with them--Torment isn't really the sort of game that's made more interesting by unexpected consequences.

i'm kind of on the fence with this: on the one hand, you're right - playing through is an experience, not so much an accomplishment.

but on the other hand, i'm a play it as it falls type, and i do think it's more interesting to genuinely play a role, if you will, with the nameless one, since you're both starting at zero. or at least i was since i'd never read anything about this d&d setting (not that i know much about any of it, actually) and so the whole mythology was allowed to unfold right before my eyes.

also, zombie disguise? i'd never even found that.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
Did you try running in the zombie disguise? 'Cause that destroys it immediately.

No I knew about that from the description. I think what it was, was that I had a weapon equipped when I got the disguise, then I unequipped it and by doing so messed it all up. I think I'm going to replay that whole part tonight. For some reason it really doesn't bother me to keep restarting like this since I know the chances of something different happening are pretty good. Right now I think ideally my first playthrough the mortuary would be me running the quests, getting the items and exp, and being able to do all this without raising any alarms until I at least reach the 1st level.

dhex wrote:
but on the other hand, i'm a play it as it falls type, and i do think it's more interesting to genuinely play a role, if you will, with the nameless one, since you're both starting at zero. or at least i was since i'd never read anything about this d&d setting (not that i know much about any of it, actually) and so the whole mythology was allowed to unfold right before my eyes.

Yeah, I mean, that's the way I usually play a videogame. It's certainly how I played Morrowind and Oblivion, I just set the character stats and then dove in. Something about Torment though, it's just a lot more fun once you know the outcomes to a series of events that I want to try playing through that scenario again to see if I can get a different outcome. It's like a game within a game, almost. It's still roleplaying, since the story of the Nameless One is genuinely intriguing to me and it's largely been the main reason I've enjoyed my time with the game so far. Stepping into his shoes, and all that. However, it's like I know what will happen to him to a degree after a certain point the further I play, so that's when the "game within a game" part kicks in and I start thinking about ways to go back and do things differently to maybe find out just a little bit more. So it's sort of a cross between diving in and just dipping your toes in the water.

But I'm pretty eager to just see the rest of the game so I think this next time I'm going to start the game "for real" and just stagger the crap out of my saves so I can go back to an instance or an encounter if I want to without having to start the whole thing over again.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheee I have successfully managed to fool the Dustmen into thinking I am one of them. Next order of business is doing the zombie disguise quest for the exp and trying to acquire a prybar without raising any alarms. If that goes as planned then I should be able to keep up with my dustie appearance and just walk straight out the front door after looting the place and maybe killing all the zombie workers for more exp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: