The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A game that plays like Portishead.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it mean that a game is like smoking?

As a person who has never smoked, I have to ask.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Faithless

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant it in the "I'm not a smoker, but today I want my body to shut down," sort of way. Melancholy and dark aren't what I was looking for, more like noir and vodka ...

A lot of people here seemed to get it, and I'm glad, because I'm unable to articulate it any better than I have.

So far, Cave story is nice.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

within a deep forest is pretty downtempo, if that's what you're looking for.

i kind of follow, but i've never actually heard portishead.

i usually try to play games with sunsets or thunderstorms.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:
A lot of people here seemed to get it

I didn't. That's why I rambled my way through an Animal Crossing scenario. In the end, it would be more likely to make me giggle than to make me want to shut down for the day. Then again, vodka and noir would probably make me want to giggle, too, given the right noir.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it's possible that I could get it. Whenever one of my friends' relationships would end we would always throw on the Richard Marx greatest hits CD and forced them to listen to the whole thing. I guarantee you that you know the words to every song and have no idea why.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a remarkably moving experience playing Cave Story.

But not like you think.

See, I was on the grasslands level, and was playing without a windower; it was my full screen. In the background, on my computer, an ad-supported bit-torrent client was running; edonkey, in other words. Please don't berate me for this -- there was a moment of surreal coincidence that happened thanks to the program.

As I've played C.S., I've been wondering what it was that everyone found so melancholy about it. I'm not very far into it; I assume the game has some sort of silence later on or something.

Anyway, so I'm playing the game and all of the sudden a female voice is mixed in with the chiptunes. Clear as day, she says, "I'm breaking up with you."

I gasped.

Secondary music began to play under the 16-bit music; a sweeping symphonic score. There were long silences, and then she would speak again. The dialogue continued as I shot my way through more green marshmellow people. The girl added, "I've been with you for how long now, and you won't even shave? You're disgusting."

I played for 5 minutes with a girl breaking up with me in the soundtrack. I thought over and over, "This is fucking genius. The game is just secondary to a radio play. No wonder people reccommended it for end-of-relationship gaming."

It was like End of Eva. Suddenly every action I took was just a metaphor for the end of a relationship. I had to stop playing. Everything was miserable.

When I ended the ap, a fullscreen ad was playing in the background. It was some indie film trailer, about a girl breaking up with a guy. It was coincidence. Cave Story may be ruined for me, but it got me to thinking about a real, artistic piece that could be made out of adding secondary text to a game.

Imagine a hack of Secret of Mana that had seemingly unrelated dialogue over it -- like a Pink Floyd, Wizard-of-Oz thing. Our brains are going to create meaning where there is none, and the coincidences would be like concert-video-games; live and unrepeatable. Single-person gaming would suddenly have an improvised feel -- pre-programed interactions would be so much more powerful if they were happening only once, for you.

I'm going to do this as an experiment. I'm going to take dialogue-heavy movies that I haven't seen before; classics with little score, and play them behind games. Or maybe I'll do it with alternate soundtracks (Think Silent Film Mashups). I think this could be really, really cool.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that sounds amazing. Although I thought the twist was going to be that it was your girlfriend actually breaking up with you over Voipbuster.

Anyway, Captain Blood. Trust me.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:

But not like you think.

See, I was on the grasslands level, and was playing without a windower; it was my full screen. In the background, on my computer, an ad-supported bit-torrent client was running; edonkey, in other words. Please don't berate me for this -- there was a moment of surreal coincidence that happened thanks to the program.

As I've played C.S., I've been wondering what it was that everyone found so melancholy about it. I'm not very far into it; I assume the game has some sort of silence later on or something.

Anyway, so I'm playing the game and all of the sudden a female voice is mixed in with the chiptunes. Clear as day, she says, "I'm breaking up with you."

I gasped.

Secondary music began to play under the 16-bit music; a sweeping symphonic score. There were long silences, and then she would speak again. The dialogue continued as I shot my way through more green marshmellow people. The girl added, "I've been with you for how long now, and you won't even shave? You're disgusting."

I played for 5 minutes with a girl breaking up with me in the soundtrack. I thought over and over, "This is fucking genius. The game is just secondary to a radio play. No wonder people reccommended it for end-of-relationship gaming."

It was like End of Eva. Suddenly every action I took was just a metaphor for the end of a relationship. I had to stop playing. Everything was miserable.

When I ended the ap, a fullscreen ad was playing in the background. It was some indie film trailer, about a girl breaking up with a guy. It was coincidence. Cave Story may be ruined for me, but it got me to thinking about a real, artistic piece that could be made out of adding secondary text to a game.

Imagine a hack of Secret of Mana that had seemingly unrelated dialogue over it -- like a Pink Floyd, Wizard-of-Oz thing. Our brains are going to create meaning where there is none, and the coincidences would be like concert-video-games; live and unrepeatable. Single-person gaming would suddenly have an improvised feel -- pre-programed interactions would be so much more powerful if they were happening only once, for you.

I'm going to do this as an experiment. I'm going to take dialogue-heavy movies that I haven't seen before; classics with little score, and play them behind games. Or maybe I'll do it with alternate soundtracks (Think Silent Film Mashups). I think this could be really, really cool.

YES!

Video games are aleatory! Discuss!
kimkallstrom1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narcissu
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal Pixels
Like browsing a stranger's diary, only it's made of glowing blue vectors and in the form of a minature solar system.

Desperation
Feels a little misdirected at time but the garbled version of Fur Elise is worth it.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
And the SNES game Rex Ronan: Experimental Surgeon, which is a game that's all about "saving the life of a tobacco salesman, ironically laid low by health complications caused by the very cigarettes he sold."

I had a very interesting experience with that game that culminated in smoking way too many cigars on the roof of my best friend's barn and the permanent change of my MySpace display name to "Rex Ronan, Experimental Surgeon".
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Faithless wrote:

But not like you think.

I gasped.

YES!

Video games are aleatory! Discuss!

See also: playing rhythm games with some sort of drone music in the background.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Desperation
Feels a little misdirected at time but the garbled version of Fur Elise is worth it.

You know, the "Villi People" level of Earthworm Kim 2 might just qualify as well, with its mournful use of "Moonlight Sonata." Just be sure to ignore the bizarro gameshow at the end.
Faithless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Cave Story for the first time (read: basic good ending). While the game was wonderful, melancholy, and bitter-sweet, it didn't have the bite that I wanted. I think SotC may be the closest thing to the game version of love-lorn trip-hop that I was looking for.

Somebody needs to make a game set in a jazz lounge that you can't leave.

I think I might try SotC on foot -- no horse, till necessary.
Faithless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also: Columns for the Game Gear has the saddest sound ever.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toups back me up on Phantasy Star 2?
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:

Grim Fandango? (and just decide to stay in the jazz club in Rubacava?).
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
Faithless wrote:

Grim Fandango? (and just decide to stay in the jazz club in Rubacava?).

No One Lives Forever? In a spiritual sense.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:
Also: Columns for the Game Gear has the saddest sound ever.

Wow it's been a long time. I guess now I have to bust mine back out to see what the hell you're talking about.
Faithless

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't thank you all enough for all these great suggestions. Cave Story is brilliant, and I'm getting into Narcissu and Within a Deep Forest now.

I really can't get over how great Cave Story is.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Toups back me up on Phantasy Star 2?

Backing up dark steve ITP

La La Land 4 is sort of Portis-heady, I guess?
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found Metal Storm on NES to feel isolate and solitary.The game itself is q uite a trip too.
Faithless

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've just confirmed a blurb in the next issue of Play about Cave Story. It'll be short, but thanks again for bringing the game to my attention.

I hope this doesn't bother anybody. I just want to bring the game to a larger audience. Is this a conflict of interests for The Gamer's Quarter?
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:
So, I've just confirmed a blurb in the next issue of Play about Cave Story. It'll be short, but thanks again for bringing the game to my attention.

I hope this doesn't bother anybody. I just want to bring the game to a larger audience. Is this a conflict of interests for The Gamer's Quarter?

Uh, not at all!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of Cave Story convinced me to download the game, and I'm really glad I did.

The game deserves all the attention it gets and then some. I love it.
rf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got more than 30 mins. into Cave Story. It wasn't bad, and I could see what would make people rave about it, but doing so involves stretching my imagination--if I'd played it without hearing anything about it, I wouldn't have been all that impressed. Is it one of those things you get or don't from the start, or do I need to stop mouthing off and give it a longer chance? (Man, what a cliche-packed sentence.)
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say. It grabbed me from the get-go and I loved every minute of it. It's consciously designed to appeal to people with retro tastes, though.
Faithless

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the build up, I was like: This is it?

Then, after two days of playing, slowly, I realized: This is it.

The story takes a while to involve you, and then when it does, you didn't realize you were involved. It's like falling in love.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
another world is sad.

(the sequel has the really sad ending, but the game itself is the real tragedy.)

I'm intrigued as to what you mean by this. Do you mean its plot concept or within the structure of the game itself?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean heart of the alien is a really bad game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree there. Have you tried the High-Res Edition of Another World?

Also, I'm now looking for moody games too.
Quick Shot II Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimkallstrom1 wrote:
narcissu

This one was good, but a little too corny.

Planetarian, on the other hand, really got to me. Maybe because it's sadness isn't rooted so much into inevitability as Narcissu was. And I found it more romantic to, even though your object of romance is (and remains throughout the game) an android.

And it's got stars too, and a fitting soundtrack too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: