The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final Fantasy Needs to die
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Dragon’s Lair?

Yeah, why not. I've always liked the concept of Dragon's Lair, but hated the press the right direction at the right time to advance utterly linear execution. Now if it was done properly it would be fun (to me).
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:

I'd like to see an RPG that ditched most of the combat and replaced it with mini-games related to the subquests, ie. playing instruments, herding animals, copying keys. Imagine it being like Warioware, "An Enemy! Hide !!" and you get three seconds to hide behind a tree.

Y'know Riviera was sort of like this, while it still has some battles that you must plow through, it's all streamlined. It also contains many little timed events inbetween.

Such as traps, falling objects, and hiding. Everytime you trigger one you have to quickly input a string of commands or decide what you want to do in a few seconds. It's all pretty cool, worth at least one playthrough if you can track it down.
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riviera was downright awesome. I loved the way that the simple, mundane act of opening a treasure chest or examining an item became some sort of bizarre, Um-Jammer Lammy-esque rhythm minigame. The streamlined approach to the battles was really a lot of fun, too, despite the limited interaction (even moreso than a standard RPG!)

What I loved most about Riviera, however, was the huge amount of heart in such a tiny game. Sure, it hit upon quite a few of the usual RPG cliches, but everything was just so lighthearted (and at times, downright funny) that any other flaws were easily excused. Plus, the whole psuedo-dating sim thing sure made for a cute addition.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:

Rumblefish, isn't that sort of where RE 4 took the series? Away from zombies and dead things . . . and you say there is a lot left in the Survival Horror Genre . . . I guess Fatal Frame and Dino Crisis are two good examples of something other than zombies, right?

Fatal Frame is good ... what about that Siren game though?

Technically yes, it did take the series in a new direction. They need to keep it fresh though, such as for 5, if they make the main enemies of the game fast zombies that work in teams with weapons, it would take away a lot of te brilliance of four, and really wouldn't do anything for the series as a whole. I love the series so much, but I don't want to see the same thing over and over again.

Without Dino Crisis 2 there would be no Resident Evil 4, the games share so many concepts, it's staggering to think about. Fatal Frame is also another wonderful game that hasn't gotten the recognition it deserves. Same for the Clock Tower series. Siren, itself is one of the most amazing games I have ever played. I love every single concept of the game, from it's multiple story arcs, to it's gameplay. It's just hard, very hard. I still have not gotten past the mid-way point of the game and I doubt I ever will. Siren really changed things up for Survival Horror, proving that there is a lot more to do in the genre.

It's about having the courage to explore new areas of fear in Survival Horror. I'm sure there are tons of good ideas, but almost 90% of them will never see the light of day. Much like anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I think a lot of the ire towards JRPGs can be blamed on their collective content. As it was said before, the clichéd characters, settings, and storylines are so consistently relied upon, it's easy to become jaded. (See the Grand List of Console RPG Clichés.) Or as Penny Arcade has said about penis jokes: "It's a good well."

True, but a lot of the ire seems to be towards the game-part of it as well. Ie. the way you progress through the story. Once you've played one turn-based game, it feels like you've played them all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: