The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antitype

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's right. Well, even if they sold each game for $20, the three new ones would still amount to $60, $10 more than the PC Orange Box.

I agree, though, as I said above; I'd have preferred the Black Box, and I wish it was still an option for those of us who already have the other games.

Yeah, I think Valve is confused on what they want. The episodic format works for $20 games sold via Steam, in theory, but they really seem to be straining against this. I think it would make the most sense for them to move on to developing a full-fledged Half-Life 3 after this.
ryan

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the problem is that Half-Life is a AAA series and they want to treat it like that. But you can't really put out content at the price and pace necessary for what they're shooting for with a series of Half-Life's pedigree. Telltale can do it with Sam & Max because they can reuse assets all over the place, which originally didn't need near the amount of manpower to create, and the series isn't going for such a grand scale. I enjoyed the original Half-Life, but knowing that the story wasn't going to finish out from 2 for another few years kind of killed my enthusiasm. At this rate, I'll just wait until they're done and buy the super deluxe edition with everything.

Well, if Half-Life 2 on the Xbox was any indication, I might just buy the 360 release a month or two after shipping and get it for a fourth of the price.
antitype

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played the Prey demo for a little bit, and I'm not entirely sure why this has such a reputation for being a shitty game. "Turok in space," they say. It's really not like that at all, from what I can see. The first set piece in the game, the bar, was extremely cool, with lots of little bits of Duke Nukem 3D-esque interactivity and humor. The whole alien abduction sequence was quite intense, too — and god, the game runs like a fucking dream on my computer. Really shows me that my computer is capable of more than S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been leading me to believe (unless its engine is really so much more advanced than Doom 3's, which is what Prey runs on (or, more likely, it's just somewhat poorly put together and full of holes as a result of having been abandoned/neglected for such a long time before finally seeing the light of day))...

I could understand if someone argued that they didn't appreciate the Native American stereotyping, with the old guy at the beginning talking about some ominous change on the winds and such. I don't think it's being disrespectful at all, though — in fact, a couple of pigheaded white dudes harassing the bartender, your dude's girlfriend, take a brutal pounding from you just before things get freaky.

Based on the demo I would totally buy this game at a discount. $20 or so would be right on the money. Maybe $30. Am I horribly wrong? I mean, does it go way downhill after that? 'Cause at the moment I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm really curious about the wall-walking stuff, too...

For that matter I suppose I ought to check out Doom 3, if only to say I have.

Oh, and — I was able to finish Episode One earlier today without a hitch. Fucking sweet ending. Can't wait for Episode Two, now. Not too much longer!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prey demo blew me away. Unfortunately, the rest of the game isn't nearly as interesting as the demo promises. After the demo levels, it's pretty much doing the same shit over and over again.

I wish the original game came out, it sounded way more daring and interesting. Perhaps why it never came out!

Also, the demo is more optimised than the full version for some reason.

I tried playing Doom 3 on my new computer recently. Man, that shit got old FAST!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that even if it is 15 hours of more of the same it'd be pretty cool. But there are more weapons and puzzle-y kinds of things with the gravity ramps (or whatever you'd call them), spirit walking, portals, and those teleportation pads you shoot, right? Or no? (So, hey, I guess this game was the precursor to Portal, huh. I hadn't realized that this was such a significant aspect of Prey.) And I'm guessing there's some more cool scenery, like that view of the surface of the alien planet you get in that one spot, when you open up a big window... The scale of it feels a lot like the later levels of Duke Nukem 3D. That's really cool.

I dunno, man, I think I'm sold. I mean, a lot would argue that the first 15 minute of HL2 are its most impressive, you know?

Then again, well, you'd know better than I would, since you've played it. But I think I've got to find out for myself now.

Up next: FEAR demo. We'll see if that one impresses me as much.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom 3 should have been like Painkiller without the arena-styled enemy encounters, not some pitch black survival horror shit that we ended up with. I'm all for mixing up the formula but when it loses the spirit of the prequels somewhat it's not really worth my time.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought painkiller was a pretty darn awful game!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think what you will but you have to admit it was closer to DooM than what Doom 3 was.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure, actually! I'd rather play DooM 3 over Painkiller though. That game gave me a headache.

LOL, irony.

Hey, would you guys say Condemned is worth $15?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

Haven't played it! From what I hear, probably.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I'm not so sure, actually! I'd rather play DooM 3 over Painkiller though. That game gave me a headache.

LOL, irony.

I don't know man, I'd rather run around pinning things to walls with the stakegun than squinting into the dark, trying to tell the difference between the scenery and enemies.

Though Doom 3 does have the sexiest shades of black I've ever seen in a game.

I'll quit with the LOL Doom 3 iz black jokes.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the weapons in Painkiller were lots of fun, but also seemed to suffer from Serious Sam 2 syndrome where they just threw things in because they'd be awesome. I found the actual game design very weak. It was just arena after arena of killing swarms of enemies, and no care went into the actual swarms. Some levels were just fighting the exact same two-three enemies over and over again in very boring arenas. It felt very hollow and shallow and atleast three other kinds of -lows!

That's just me know, I know others who swear by it and think it's the best thing since DooM 2. I just don't see it, though.

Also, I don't care about DooM 3 darkness jokes.

Also, every DooM 3 review used the "all hell breaks loose (literally!!!)" joke.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that I liked most about Painkiller was the level design (well, more the look of the levels than how the rooms were stuck together), I thought they were really done well and there was some genuinely great stuff in there. Like the Asylum level, I thought that one was done really well and the docks level. It made me not mind the Smash TV-ness of it all. If they made it less of a "sensible Serious Sam" it propbably would have been the best FPS of that year.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the Asylum is a definite stand-out. I can't remember the docks level, though. I also loved the appearance of the enemies and levels. Great stuff! It probably made me even more annoyed that the actual level design/gameplay was so banal. So much effort seemed to have been put in everything else.

The music and overall atmosphere totally sucked, too. When nothing happens you have this cool ambient music, but then some crappy cock rock pumps out when enemies start pouring out of the walls. Total mood killer!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the generic thrash riffs. It's like we actuallyare fighting through hell.

The docks level was the one before the monastery on the cliff, two levels before that really cool final level. I might have to reinstall the game, casting my mind back to singular levels is making me want to go through it again.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so yeah, speaking of which!

my copy of snes doom hasn't arrived yet, so i've been playing through the pc version. the original dos version! the contemporary ports of the game are too hi-definition: the proportions are wrong, the screen is too big, the polygons too sharp, the textures repeat. i've been playing in dosbox, with joytokey mapping the controls to my saturn pad, and with the femdoom mods applied.

i just finished episode 1 on "hurt me plenty". i really love the way the infernal gradually makes its presence known in the game: first you fight human soldier, then fire-tossing humanoids and knobbly pink hulks who could just represent an army of ambiguous martian monsters; here and there you run across an ornate gold candelabra, and then you're fighting barons of hell in a giant pentagram. the game finally spells out for you that you are fighting the forces of hell, on a martian moon, and this sets the tone for episode 2 on deimos, where the new occupants have had more time to redecorate.

i like doom more than most first-person shooters (marathon excluded) because you are only required to negotiate a single axis; in first-person games that give me full 3d aiming and movement, i have a much harder time managing 3d space (and tend to panic because the perspective is that much more limiting). some people consider doom a 2d game; i don't because the perspective is what makes the game: peeking into a hallway, firing at an enemy, and ducking back out, then quickly checking for enemies lurking behind you. the use of sound and the status menu portrait to cue enemy positions is brilliant (the xbox live arcade version supposedly has surround sound, but i don't remember if nana had a surround setup when i played that version on her 360).

long ago i decided that doom is about the quest to become the biggest and scariest monster.

Last edited by dessgeega on Tue May 29, 2007 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
antitype

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
does hl2 regular crash at all or what?

So I played a bit more and yeah, actually, it does. Same thing — it just freezes when autosaving and loading the next area. I dunno. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling my nvidia drivers and that didn't help anything (and I don't have older drivers to roll back to, obviously, with this being a new PC). Maybe I need to change my audio drivers? I guess if I can't figure this out I'll just have to deal with it.

dess, I've never noticed any repeating textures playing Doom with zDoom. Could be that I'm just not looking closely enough, though — I prefer to play it that way because I appreciate the higher resolution and tastefully added touches like particle effects, but more than that because I just can't play a FPS with keyboard only, let alone a gamepad; I absolutely must have mouselook. I sort of find the perspective warping that comes with trying to look up or down endearing, too. To each her or his own, though, of course!

In any case, I just love Doom.

It's sort of interesting to think of why Doom is considered 2D. While the game's world obviously creates the impression of being 3D, you're only allowed movement along the x and y axes — the z axis doesn't exist. It's like the thing about dogs not being able to look up, kind of. You get the illusion of movement along the z axis when you move up or down stairs or run over a ledge (and hear that familiarly guttural "oomph"), but it's only an illusion. You walk along a floor, but what's below that? And what's above? The sky literally goes on forever in Doom. Given the setting, though, it should probably be thought of as an abyss.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing spread out with one hand a keyboard and one on a mouse just doesn't feel as intimate as using a gamepad, and doom is one of the few first-person shooters that plays comfortably on a pad. the live arcade version's dual-stick setup - one stick for moving, one for turning - is the best i've played, but a digital pad with shoulder buttons for strafing works just cozy (it's how the gba port works and, i assume, the snes).

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
I absolutely must have mouselook. I sort of find the perspective warping that comes with trying to look up or down endearing, too. To each her or his own, though, of course!

I must play with a mouse, but I disable the vertical axis in Doom. Looking up and down is cheating! Take, um, I think it's map 09 in Doom 2 where there's a huge lost-soul ambush awaiting the player at the end of the collapsing staircase over toxic goo. With mouselook, you can snipe the lost-souls from 50 feet above and it's neither a scare nor a challenge. There are lots of places in Doom where you're not supposed to be able to see what is above or below.

I'll agree that Doom can play well with a gamepad. I have taken to the shoulders + analog nub on the psp.

dessgeega wrote:
doom is one of the few first-person shooters that plays comfortably on a pad..

I think that's because the game was designed around people initially playing with the arrow keys + ctl to fire. There are deliberate pauses between an enemy's warning sound upon discovering the player and the first attack and there are, for most enemies, long pauses between attacks. This downtime allows effective control with 'slower'/'sloppier' control schemes. I feel that the game is a lot easier than intended with the mouse+keyboard control scheme. Then again, that method was used primarily by more deathmatchers in 93 than by general Doomers.

Last edited by dongle on Sun May 27, 2007 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
antitype

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
playing spread out with one hand a keyboard and one on a mouse just doesn't feel as intimate as using a gamepad, and doom is one of the few first-person shooters that plays comfortably on a pad. the live arcade version's dual-stick setup - one stick for moving, one for turning - is the best i've played, but a digital pad with shoulder buttons for strafing works just cozy (it's how the gba port works and, i assume, the snes).

Only disagree about the keyboard and mouse setup because I feel that in general a keyboard and mouse setup is more intimate — and more importantly, more versatile — than a gamepad setup. It can be different for lots of console games, of course — who would play a sidescrolling shooter or a platformer with a keyboard? The versatility is really the key for me, though, when it comes to FPS games (even Doom), and I feel clumsy and hindered when I don't have the freedom and quickness of mouselook. EDIT: Like dongle says, Doom may not have been designed with such versatility in mind, but it sure makes playing the game on its harder settings a hell of a lot more fun.

I absolutely loathe the dual-stick setup for FPS games on consoles, but I can see how the simple d-pad and shoulder-button strafing setup for Doom could work. I'm just a traditionalist, I guess. I would compromise for a portable version.

You should play Wolfenstein 3D for the SNES and tell us about it. I played it ages ago, back when it came out, but I don't remember much about it except for the lack of any sanguine fluids and a final boss known as The Staatmeister.

Hell, I kind want to fire up the PC version now and enjoy a few minutes of nostalgia.

Last edited by antitype on Sun May 27, 2007 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dongle

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
Hell, I kind want to fire up the PC version now and enjoy a few minutes of nostalgia.

That's about all it's good for due to the simple level geometry, but I always have and still do find the atmosphere unsettling.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually played wolfenstein snes recently. i find the combat infuriating - enemies lift their guns and, if you can see them, you take damage. dodging is vague, and bosses turn into pillar dances. doom has shotgun zombies who attack in a similiar way, but in that game they complement the projectile-firing and hand-to-hand enemies. in wolfenstein every fight feels like luck.

it's also really samey - the architecture is flat, the enemies all have the same face, and the walls are always either grey or brown or that bizarre shade of blue. that blue has always put me off: it doesn't look like the sort of thing a german castle should be built out of. none of the enemy soldiers or golden candelabras or smoked hams look right next to those weird blue walls.

the snes version controls the same way i'm playing doom now - d-pad for movement, shoulder buttons for strafing - which works well. all the photos of hitler have been demoustachioed, and the dogs have become giant killer rats. the game starts with you breaking into wolfenstein instead of breaking out of it - it feels like stages have been left out, though i wasn't counting. and i think episodes from the original game and the "nocturnal missions" have been spliced in with each other.

it's been years since i played catacomb 3d.

Last edited by dessgeega on Sun May 27, 2007 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
ryan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read about Prey, it's decent, but it really starts with the best stuff first and then drags the same few bits out over the next 5-6 hours. At full price I wouldn't be a big fan of a 5-6 hour game that didn't seem to move beyond its revolving door, but at a discount price it would probably be a good way to spend an afternoon.

I found Doom 3 on PC not bad, but I really enjoyed it on the Xbox. I found that the keyboard and joystick were overkill for what it required - it just didn't need that kind of precision - but the controller felt so much more natural.

In the original Doom, I had more fun using the clipping code so I could leave the building and explore the outside world. I found it fascinating that there were outside portions that were largely useless but still there to see.
antitype

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played Radiant Silvergun on my computer, and it ran perfectly. Fuck YES. Thank you, SSF.

Looks like I'll finally get to play Panzer Dragoon Saga again (without spending half a paycheck), too. Man. That's almost a dream come true.

Sadly, though, it looks like Saturn torrents are kind of slim — or just not being seeded. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places (mininova). Otherwise I'd be asking for recommendations on Saturn games I may have never played. Imports and such. I'd really like to find Assault Suits Leynos 2 and Enemy Zero, as I've always been curious about both of those...
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you get radiant silvergun to run perfectly in ssf?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took a few google searches to find the proper BIOS, set it to Japan mode, mounted the ISO with daemon tools, and I was off.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never been able to get it to run at the right speed. boo!

Last edited by dessgeega on Sun May 27, 2007 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
antitype

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm guessing it's a pretty demanding emulator — maybe my dual core CPU just gives it the extra push? I count myself lucky!
ryan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Enemy Zero, no idea how to rip it.

Have you tried Return Fire? The full version is free, but I can't get it to work on my Saturn - I don't think I burned it correctly. Sega-saturn.net/returnfire.htm, I believe. Apparently they received the Okay to finish and put it out by the owners.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
Well, I'm guessing it's a pretty demanding emulator — maybe my dual core CPU just gives it the extra push? I count myself lucky!

I am inclined to agree that your dual core CPU is what gives it the extra push.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
Enemy Zero

You're better off grabbing the PC version, it makes use of 3D cards and works perfectly on modern computers. My copy does, anyway. Also, better control scheme in my opinion.

Wolfenstein hasn't aged too gracefully, unlike DooM, but you can certainly tell what they learned from it (hint: lots). It's also still fun for a quick blast.

Catacomb 3D... isn't very good, aside from its historic value. The follow-up trilogy was great though, even though it had nothing to do with id.

Also, yeah DooM wasn't made for mouse-look, although it certainly helps in the higher difficulties. I haven't played the 360 port, but it sounds like a perfect port in every possible way.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I would have to resort to eBay for that, huh? Unless it's small enough that you wouldn't mind making a transfer (if possible)...

I'd totally forgotten that there was in fact a PC version of Enemy Zero. It'd probably be nice if there was one for D2 as well.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's like two CDs Sad It's pretty cheap though, it's on the XPLOSIV range.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, geez, I forgot about how big it was. Yeah, I think the Saturn version is four discs.

Speaking of, I found tons of Saturn torrents here. I really love that you can check which parts of a torrent file you want, 'cause they've got a bunch of really huge sets there each with a handful of games I actually want to play.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dess, the game we were thinking of was Breakfree.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, would anyone mind telling me where I can find a Sin and Punishment ROM that does work with the translation patch? I've tried about five now, to no avail...

EDIT: All set!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sick of waiting for doom snes to arrive, i played through episode 3 on the gba. you don't fight the spider mastermind at the end; instead, you materialize in a small chamber where you're immediately attacked from all sides by barons of hell, then fight through a cathedral full of cacodemons. (there's no cyberdemon either - in its place you fight several waves of monsters in an arena.) hell is a lot blander-looking in the gba version - there's less flesh and more brickwork. deimos seems a bit browner too. for a doom you can fit in your pocket, though, it's not bad.

as a side note, the minibosses do a hot cover of the doom theme.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess, how far did you get in UUW?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found a small colony of humans behind an ankh banner. when i try to leave, a vampire bat swoops down and murders me.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it turns out that Panzer Dragoon Orta isn't as bad as everyone says it is.

I actually rather like it.

And the 360 BC is perfect, for anyone who cares.
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i found a small colony of humans behind an ankh banner. when i try to leave, a vampire bat swoops down and murders me.

Yeah, Ithe inclusion of bats was a questionable choice at best.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Etrian Oddyssey and played it over the weekend. Kinda nice, though I resent the grinding! I ended up leveling up 3 different characters with Chop, just to get through that handaxe quest more quickly.

My guild (Townies) has mapped just about all of the 2nd floor, taken down a couple FOEs and is beginning to think about that 3rd floor now.

How do I unlock the other two classes?

Also, Wes needs to tell us (me) about Dawn of Mana in this thread.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Kinda nice, though I resent the grinding!

What grinding? This game has about as much of a grind as Dragon Quest titles. All the levels I've gained are from wandering around the levels, hitting FOEs, dead-ends, and getting lost. Some of the maps get quite large!

My team of 5 is currently in B10F and Level 35. I don't have the patience to do the 5 days in Hell quest. Maybe when I retire some of my guys, I'll attempt that one.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:
So it turns out that Panzer Dragoon Orta isn't as bad as everyone says it is.

I actually rather like it.

Yeah, I'm a fan too. It's not as good as Zwei from a design stance, but it's much better than PD1. The hate basically comes from two camps: A) People who don't like rail-shooters and B) people who can't seperate nostalgia from truth.
Pijaibros wrote:
simplicio wrote:
Kinda nice, though I resent the grinding!

What grinding? This game has about as much of a grind as Dragon Quest titles. All the levels I've gained are from wandering around the levels, hitting FOEs, dead-ends, and getting lost. Some of the maps get quite large!

I think that the game forgets to let you in on a little secret that makes it not feel like grinding: you’re not supposed to defeat the FOES when you first get to them. FOEs seem to be obvious “mid-bosses” but they’re really obstacles. When I was in about the same area of the game I was feeling like the grind was stupid, but I really hadn’t figured out what the pace of the game was.

I recommend that you look at the game like this simplicio: go as far as you can until you run out of supplies/magic then come out (alternatively you can attempt to guage a half way point which you can attempt to crawl your way back out. The game becomes an interesting challenge when you realize you forgot to buy an escape wire). Avoid FOEs unless you’re feeling very brave (or specifically instructed to battle them).
simplicio wrote:
How do I unlock the other two classes?

You get missions that unlock them on the 11th and 16th floors.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
aerisdead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Yeah, I'm a fan too. It's not as good as Zwei from a design stance, but it's much better than PD1. The hate basically comes from two camps: A) People who don't like rail-shooters and B) people who can't seperate nostalgia from truth.

I beat it and unlocked the original PD. It's choppy as shit, but it's based on the (choppy as shit) PC version so it's acceptable. Alright, even.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I spent most of my gaming time this weekend between Odin Sphere, Senko no Ronde, and Taito Legends 2 (though, that's quite a few games), with the occasional bout of Calling All Cars.

Calling all Cars is better than I thought it would be both visually and mechanically. Though, it's a major disappointment that it's a PS3 game because there is almost no reason at all to play the single player. It seems like it would be a really awesome party game though, and it would be easy even for non-gamers to pick up. Yes, there are only a few levels, and a dozen cars, but it's really all you need if you're actually playing this multi-player. I don't think this game was ever intended to be a single player game, which is the main reason that it's a shame it's on the PS3.

Senko no Ronde becomes better the more time I spend with it. I've beat the story mode with about half of the characters. Apparently there are "good endings" if you let the opponent pull off both of their BOSS formations. This is because it gives them enough time to expose their full story so that you can be led to the "good" ending. That's a pretty great thing to have in this kind of game honestly. I tried to play online but no one seemed to be on when I tried. After about 15 minutes of trying I finally hooked up with a S.Korean who kicked my ass really hard. He was ranked quite high, so even though I lost very fast I still gained quite a bit of rank. The game was lagging out like crazy, though I was uploading a lot of files and downloading some stuff on my PC, and it was S. Korea. So my opinions of that are still out.

Taito Legends 2 is amazing. Most of my time was spent on Don Doko Don (love it). But I spent some time on a good chunk of the games. I forgot how amazing the G.Darius ost is.

Finally, yeah, Odin Sphere. My opinion in constant flux on this game. For a long time I was in love, but only after initial disappointment. Now I think I'm disappointed again because I finally got to the second character (nearly 12 hours on Hard mode) and, well, he feels like more of the same. Not only is the combat fairly similar, it even feels slightly less strategically interesting. Oh, yeah, and you get reset to level 1 (though he is leveling faster than the first character) so its strange. The game is easy again almost. But I'm constantly amazed with level and character design. The final level of the main characters story is gorgeous and well thought out, also very hard. UNFORTUNATELY, there are so many things going on in this level that the game slows down to a halt during very hectic situations. Also, the final boss of the first story has both an amazing design and a horrible design (amazing in everything but the disgustingly large breasts... and I like breasts!).

So, I'm going to hold off on giving Odin Sphere any kind of final judgment for a while.

aerisdead wrote:
I beat it and unlocked the original PD. It's choppy as shit, but it's based on the (choppy as shit) PC version so it's acceptable. Alright, even.

It's the 360 emulating the Xbox emulating the PC emulating the Saturn version of the game! Anyways, yeah, if you still have a saturn it's worth the $5 that you can get PD1 for even if you have Orta.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaper spent like ten minutes humming the don doko don forest theme in my ear the other night, no foolin'.

fed up with waiting for snes doom, i've been playing through episode 2 in pc vanilla doom. the deimos stages just open the game up that much, just add that necessary bit of sophistication to the level design. and with only introducing, what, two new enemies and three new weapons? i really appreciate the economy of doom's level design.

maybe tomorrow i'll hike down to the rental place and see if they have odin sphere in. i'm getting pretty curious.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i'm getting pretty curious.

I have played some Odin Sphere! 4+ hours of it so far, to be approximately precise.

There are some aspects of it that are awful. The game's story, for instance, falls into this category. It's badly told. It's badly scripted. It feels extra awkward because there are load-times between different scenes within the cutscenes. The gamebox tried to tell me the writing was Shakespearean. It's not. The characters use the word 'Tis an awful lot. It's terrible. I can't disparage the storytelling aspect of the game enough. Oh, and it's all voice-acted. Voice-acting in games is really bad, and Odin Sphere is no exception.

But the gameplay is neat, and the artwork is something to marvel at. And it gets pretty hard in spots.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found my way to the secret stage of episode 2. yikes. that did not end pretty.

hypothesis: all game stories told through dialogue boxes are bad. i hear you can at least set the voice-overs to the original japanese though?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 28 of 85

Jump to: