The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dhex
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirnerite fallacy
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do ask (not that I'm in a position to enforce this) that no one try to use my death to further their political purposes. I went to Iraq and did what I did for my reasons, not yours. My life isn't a chit to be used to bludgeon people to silence on either side. If you think the U.S. should stay in Iraq, don't drag me into it by claiming that somehow my death demands us staying in Iraq. If you think the U.S. ought to get out tomorrow, don't cite my name as an example of someone's life who was wasted by our mission in Iraq. I have my own opinions about what we should do about Iraq, but since I'm not around to expound on them I'd prefer others not try and use me as some kind of moral capital to support a position I probably didn't support.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be made law or something.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really something.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this fits better over here rather than shitting up general with silliness.

Quote:
dhex no one cares about your animus against japanese culture shamelessly hidden behind your moral aversion to kiddie diddling

that's a boring way to troll dude

i care.

rock beats scissors.

and i mean duh kiddie diddling *is* japanese culture.

it's quite simple:
misogyny + neutered culture with hypermasculine template = pedo-splosion.

like a dog tied to a post, wrapping the leash around its neck because it can't stop to think for a second about what it's really doing.

we can go further down the line but soul cancer is both real and true - anime hurts lives! i don't really know why just yet, as i don't want to get too close and catch cooties.

you don't see really successful people even going near the stuff unless they're dissecting it for some doug rushkoff-esque "i explaina this to yous" bit on egghead sunday morning tv or maybe something with bill moyers.

maybe it's the same thing that infects comic books or sci fi lovers, or even record collectors.

love is a horrible thing; it's even worse when you love the unreal more than the real. why this would touch on all things to do with anime i don't know, but i wouldn't let it near children, the elderly or those with breathing issues. it's a bit like uranium but without the producing power positive side effects.

it's not "trolling" it's a statement of plain, simple truth as revealed by god to me. yes, we do live in a degraded, relativistic society where everyone who ever got uncomfortable at a social function can blame it on a half dozen mental and genetic conditions. why should anyone have to grow up anymore? every day on the internet you see dozens of folks in their mid 20s who can explain dozens of plotlines from tv shows, movies, product tie-ins, but they lack the direction to actively seek out information on things of fundamental importance - personal finance, taxes, savings and shelters, etc.

and always the refrain is the same - i know this because i keep testing it out on different people and recording the results - "no one taught me that."

and yes it is a failure of one's parents to have spawn grow to adulthood and not at least know the basics of how things work. but past the age of 15 or so people are really morally responsible for their own behaviors and learning patterns (yes, even the really stupid ones) and it seems somehow cowardly to pass this buck along to one's genetic progenitors. as a consequence, their political views are variations on this - someone else should do this! i want to get back to my collectibles!

but no one taught any of these people how to watch anime either. or how to dig into various storylines and the people who create them. to track trivia and folklore, to create mini anthropologies of the imagination - no one taught them this! yet the world of tax shelters and mortgages are far too complicated. fuck that. the only thing which approaches the complicated multi-year stories and interactions in your average comic/cartoon/manga/whatever is the american federal tax code.

i am ashamed on behalf of people who just never got into being adults. it's not so bad, what with the sovereignty and all that stuff. it's far better than being a child, to be sure - and i wonder about those who long to be powerless again. (submission as a form of emotional immaturity?) actually i don't wonder so much as fear them, because eventually some of these asshats are going to breed and then they're going to continue voting for the expansion of the superstate because sovereignty is someone else's problem and "someone ought to do something" regardless of how harmful that something will be. (simple example: can you imagine how hard it's going to be to get a loan for lower-income families in a few years, after congress is through tying in all sorts of punitive measures and and kickbacks? small lenders will face permanent injunctions and massive penalties for lending to the wrong people, and big lenders will get a bail on a bunch of bad paper they bought.)

but i digress.

so what causes this permanent juvenilia? i don't know, but it's probably not good for anyone. i think you see an implicit recognition in this with the whole citizen kane thing; if only there would be this one thing that makes movies less of a thing kids went to (which is what the form was for so very long, commercially) to something people study and don't get cracked on for loving. hell, nyu is forming a games development and critical studies department; an actual degree trackin critical gaming studies or critical ludology (depending on what they call it) will shortly be the norm at more than a few places, no doubt, perhaps muscling in on that media studies degree track.

now, emx, i don't know what your fucking malfunction actually is, but i bet dollars to donuts it involves manga or anime. why? cause that shit is some kinda weird social/generational marker, and your mental/genetic condition seems to manifest itself as being a jackass to random people for no real reason. i can appreciate trolling for trolling's sake, to be sure, but why here? it's like picking on girl scouts or the peace corps. tgq is far too nice for something like this.

hell, it's far too nice for me to be hanging around, for that matter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex, I think these three entries are right up your alley. They're about group mentality, misleading labels, and their implications for American politics. Stuff you already know, but well-enough put to be good reading.

And Overcoming Bias has some of the best commentors, at least when they don't get into pithy battles or whine about Yudkowsky's atheism. The dissent there is often thoughtful. Only site I read the comments for a thought rather than a laugh.

(Edit: Well, ok, especially from their own staff. Hanson and Yudkowsky's back-and-forth's are the most worth watching.)

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like those guys.

do you read jim henley? i'm not so into the football but the foreign policy stuff is usually interesting.

unrelated:
Police in Lima, Ohio shot and killed Tarika Wilson, a mother of six, and seriously wounded her one-year-old son during a drug raid yesterday.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2006/11/most-dangerous-roads-in-world.html
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as3AYVzWmOI

AMAZING
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that david lynch iphone bit is the only thing by him i think i've truly enjoyed. (the straight story was good but too long)

man i have a friend who loves lynch, and when he loaned me lost highway i did try watching it but the credit sequence pissed me off for some weird reason and so i turned it off without watching it. he was pissed at me about that pretty badly, but maybe my love for this clip will win me back into his good graces.

(it's really just the way he says "fucking" that works, the rest is kind of BUT IM AN AUTEUR type wankery that fits better in the 1920s than now)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you feel about this Lynch film, dhex?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd watch that movie.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080108/ap_on_re_us/medical_raid
http://wnd.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59566

whoaaaa:

Quote:
The sheriff said the decision to use SWAT team force was justified because the father was a "self-proclaimed constitutionalist" and had made threats and "comments" over the years.

However, the sheriff declined to provide a single instance of the father's illegal behavior. "I can't tell you specifically," he said.

"He was refusing to provide medical care," the sheriff said.

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone i know, talking about waco this afternoon:
Quote:
Shortly after Waco, when a lot of the details came out, was the point at which I really started realizing Bill Clinton was not totally awesome.

waco broke my brain pretty fucking good, actually. especially when all the details came out and, while i was in college, the campus hosted a visit from one of the cult awareness network assholes who convinced the fbi that they'd all suicide if they arrested jim jones jr. outside of the compound, like they had the opportunity to.

one of the highlights of my college career was getting up in his grill about the fbi report on satanism (yeah no shit this guy was like knights of malta temple of set etc etc etc)and when he refused to call on my both of my religious studies professors asked the same question. we totally punked him and made him look like an asshole in front of about 500 people.

but yeah waco. headshots headshots kill the sons of bitches.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend's dad is the first ATF agent that is shot and drug back out of the window. he was supposed to spend the weekend at my house before it happened, but his mom ended up letting him anyway so he could catch a break because he ended up seeing his dad get shot about 500 times due to it being replayed over and over on TV. (note: he had stopped watching TV after realizing the first day what he had seen, it was just on every channel that much.)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like a sick joke.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the interest of full disclosure:

this was a completely clownshoes response to an extremely serious thing, ron.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOTE PRON HAUL 2008
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bingo | January 10, 2008, 9:09pm | #
The cosmotarians are not pleased... the sound of a thousands microbrews being opened while macbooks are slammed shut

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but damn he was kicking all sorts of ass in the debate!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Wilkinson has the harshest libertarian take I've read, which I mostly agree with. As I've said elsewhere, it's been fun watching Paul make the other Republicans look like buffoons and namedropping Austrian economics on popular TV, but eh. A lot of things about him really suck, and this makes them obvious.

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swimmy, what do you think of reason (and other's) general take on this being a cultural split between old right paleos and what they call new libertarians or (in postrel's words) "cosmopolitan libertarians"?

where i disagree with wilkinson is that most people already associated the term "libertarian" with all sorts of horrible things (be they libertinism and drug addicted child hookers or racist corporatism or whatever) and paul, even with this stuff (which hasn't gotten that much play, really, in the mainstream world) has done a lot to bring all sorts of people together under a loose rhetorical framework of "liberty".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that up on my libertarian history (I guess I need to read Doherty's book?). From what I can tell, the paleocon "split" is a little overblown. It's a nice dynamic for dissasociating yourself from Paul's racism / racist friends / whatever (and it's certainly preferable to defending him), but up to this point most of the Reason types I read kind of glossed over Paul's nationalism. "We don't agree with his immigrant stance or the gold standard stuff, but look! Good things! Go Paul!" Wilkinson's been one of the few to say, "Ron Paul is not my kind of libertarian and I don't particularly support him." Maybe that's all just election excitement, which I caught a little of myself: Paul's in a major party and getting major airtime to talk about these things, so we'll enjoy the ride. But, yeah, I really need to brush up on the history here. Obviously the Mises institute has some of the kookier ideas in common, and it would explain the animosity they've shown to more cosmopolitan / pragmatist types like Milton Friedman.

I'm not as worried about the damage to libertarianism's reputation. Paul's still a Republican, he hasn't been fostering hype for libertarian institutions necessarily, and the comments on H&R right now ("Paul's a racist! You put him on your cover! That means you're racist!") aren't that much different from the usual stuff. And let's face it, most of the people who find drug and prostitution legalization downright scandalous probably don't think of associating with racists as all that bad.

Edit: But hey, Reason happy hour tonight. Maybe I'll ask the staffers what they really think.

Edit again: I should say I've really liked the Reason et al response so far, especially in contrast to Good ol Rockwell himself or Paul's more ardent defenders. It just strikes me as odd that a gesture of condemning group politics--that is, disowning a politician whose ideas you like, to hell with solidarity--should be framed in terms of. . . more group politics.

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockwell is such a fuck.

unrelated:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0107/p09s02-coop.html?page=1

this was pretty interesting, though i disagree with his ideas about the real-world consequences.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/01/13/hate_speech_laws/index.html

weird. the video is worth watching.

i still wish someone would drop a truck on mark steyn though. from space.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man you know how occasionally you'll meet someone who is less than bright and you're like "shit, she's so dumb she makes god cry?"

man i met the lady that makes god's god cry on friday. kind of scary looking too. that's gotta be rough. at least some people win the stupid but attractive lottery.

on top of that she was kind of obnoxious. very pushy. like being louder made her deficiencies less obvious, or her flaws more endearing. plus she had a lot of polite people to inflict herself on in a small area. ugh.

so i conclude it's like the old saying:

fast, cheap, good - pick two. (this is a pretty handy rule of thumb for spec'ing out almost anything)

with people it's more like

ugly, obnoxious, stupid - pick two.

pretty, if stupid and annoying, is ok
annoying and ugly is ok if smart
ugly and stupid is ok if they're nice
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://crookedtimber.org/2008/01/10/usa-electoral-compass/

it's interesting to see how dutch political scientists see american politics.

i've always liked the concept of the compass, of having two axis to describe political values, a lot more than the execution. not being able to weight one's answers kinda sucks. i.e. i'm surface-wise pro-guns, pro-open borders, pro-gay marriage, and against intervention in general, but how one weighs those particular stances says a lot more about their politics. i.e. someone that puts gun rights or gay marriage head of open borders or intervention (in either direction) will generally fall into a different category than i would, despite sharing those values to some degree with other people.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
ugly, obnoxious, stupid - pick two.

pretty, if stupid and annoying, is ok
annoying and ugly is ok if smart
ugly and stupid is ok if they're nice

BUT WHICH ONE ARE YOU, DHEX?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just obnoxious.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like steven pinker, despite his wacky haircut.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Big, Fake Ones

Columbia student volunteer: So, who knows what soy milk is?
Fourth grade girls: [Silence.]
Columbia student volunteer: Well, soy milk tastes like milk, but it's made with beans.
Fourth grader: Hold the phone -- beans has titties?

--P.S. 125

Overheard by: alexandra

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jgPRrAOa7_9-xd_LD8Ogt3ZXZ8JgD8U3BH6O0
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dennis-perrin/the-liberals-ron-paul-pr_b_81465.html

the huffington post is raw sewage, digitized for your convenience.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the huff is sewage (read the comments! these are the ones that think they're smart!) then this is simply good theatre:

http://www.prison
planet.com/articles/
january2008/
011308_not_racist.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy that The New Republic has been referred to, in the links you have posted, as being both Conservative and Liberal. Welcome to American politics!

(Also, dude writing an article attacking liberals for being mindless attack dogs that only care about who stands in opposition to them is like, the foyer of American politics.)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it's so badly fucking written.

total sewage.

also i'm counting the comments section.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what it reads like is that one article about how all of the KIDS ARE FUCKED AND MAN WE WERE OKAY; THESE KIDS THOUGH, WHOA, MAN, THEY'RE IDIOTS AND WE'RE FUCKED*.

Except I don't think either of them used a semi-colon.

I don't even read comments on the internet anymore unless I know 100% going in that it's shits and giggles time. Even then I get queasy after a while.

* - The best part of this was the logic that using computers and watching TV is what's caused this, as if TV somehow became more damaging since the 1960s and that texting somebody on your cell phone is obviously far more dangerous to your mental development than shoving a giant sheet of what-you-hope-is-LSD into your mouth**.

** - Okay, so I kind have some sympathy for this one.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to think of lsd as being less damaging than cell phones, for sure.

but of course i would say that.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Best. Honors Project. Ever.

Health student #1: It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation to increase the population of the younger generation. I got this information from the board of education...
Health student #2: No, it should go like this: It's a man's obligation to stick his cockulation into a women's ventilation to increase the population of the younger generation of our nation. I got this information from the board of education. If you want a demonstration, lie down.

--Middle school, Manhattan

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.privacyinternational.org/article.shtml?cmd%5B347%5D=x-347-559597
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just found one of the meaner things i'd ever tried to turn into a tgq article. it was merely a collection of aphorisms i wrote while on a car trip to maryland that i didn't want to take.

Quote:

Let us be honest - when you finally hear about a syna-skin scale-model of a nine-year old girl that cries when someone ejaculates in it, will you really surprised when it is revealed to be a Japanese innovation? Perhaps Japanese culture is fleeing the legacy of death that streamed from the ruling class control valve of Zen Buddhism and wound its way to the twin fires that punctuated the decisive end of the rape of the Greater Co-Prosperity Sphere right into the arms of a permanent midnight of nihilism. This would explain their intense desire to ape tertiary musical forms like 90s pop-punk, or – Namu Amida Butsu – second-wave ska. We cannot even begin to touch on their nuclear-powered heady racism that is Japanese rap, something far beyond even the walking headwound that is the “ironic” minstrelry of “nerdcore” “rappers.”

Quote:
Waving your semi-gloss white cheerleader baton might be a good time for those of us sufficiently bereft of human decency and higher will, but how long do you want to be Nintendo’s bitch? How long will you suffer 13 editions of the same handheld platform, each decorated with a slightly different color?

Quote:
Yes, I use the term “sh_mup.” If I’m drunk I even pronounce it with a heavy Hogan’s Hero’s style German “schhh.” I understand this term is not “cool.” I’d give a shit but taking linguistic direction from the video game version of Star Trek fans isn’t really my bag. This is usually the same gang of Darwinian champions that abbreviate “Shooting Game” to “STG,” and generally lend credence to elitist schemes to limit voting rights to that part of the population that can successfully identify elected officials and historical factoids.

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, filtering shhhh mup into shooter really makes my last point there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't use that word regularly, I always apply it when talking bout Euroschmups, Not sure why.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just get tongue-tied trying to say it and say Shump.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankfully it don't come up that much in day to day conversation. at least not round these parts.

unrelated:
levant is a dick, but this was completely on point.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first draft, and funny to maybe 2% of you:

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wednesday One-Liners for the Pod People

Hipster girl: You really need to hear his podcast about how technology is raping our souls.

--Bleecker & Broadway

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://standingonthebox.blogspot.com/2008/01/no-box.html
Quote:
No Box

I wish I’d invented the move of pulling the fat guy’s shirt off in the middle of the fight, but I didn’t. There aren’t many things I want to take credit for in life that other people have done - primarily because I don’t like most of the things that people do - but pulling the fat guy’s shirt off is a stroke of brilliance I wish I’d come up with myself.

See, there was a fight, and there was an out of control fat guy who had scored himself the club-fighter’s hat-trick, nailing that transcendent triad of starting it, exacerbating it and prolonging it beyond the point of utility. This was a cry for help. Out of control fat guys cry for help at bars and clubs because they want someone to hear them. When they’ve been in a fight, and things move outside, they have their soapbox and they’ll use code words, veiled in bluster and threat, to tell you everything in fat-guy-land isn’t as fine and dandy as they tried to make it seem when they first came to the door, license in hand.

There’s nothing worse than watching a grown man lose control of himself, unless you’re talking about a horrifically out of shape grown man, which is a special case. It’s a special case because they’re prematurely limited, physically speaking, and angry about things many of us will never quite understand until we get much older. They need to let the rest of us know they’re alive – that they, too, have feelings, hurts and sensibilities – and so they cry out in the only way they can for the benefit of the only audience they’re able to hold captive.

I have feelings, hurts and sensibilities too, though – ones I’ve earned the hard way through working for a living and not having the time nor the energy to sit and listen to some undisciplined piece of shit screaming his head off because somebody “disrespected” him enough to steal his fucking cocktail frank.

Or whatever.

So what you do, when an out of control fat guy starts doing his thing, is you pull his shirt off and throw it as far as you can. By the time you’ve arrived at the point of pulling an out of control fat guy’s shirt off and throwing it, you’ll be able to throw it pretty damned far because you’ll be pretty fucking angry at him, and short of killing him, pulling off his shirt and throwing it down the sidewalk – or into the crowd – is probably the worst possible thing you can do to an out of control fat guy.

I saw this happen last weekend. I saw a good, decent man snatch the shirt from an out of control fat guy in mid-cry-for-help, and it was probably the single best bouncing maneuver I’ve ever had the good fortune to witness. When an out of control fat guy loses his shirt, and he’s down to the for-all-to-see root problem, right there in front of the crowd, a definite paradigm shift takes place and it’s a beautiful thing to see. It’s like you’ve shot the bastard with a tranquilizer dart.

This particular patient stopped dead. He lost his focus. The only thing that mattered anymore was getting his shirt back and getting himself covered. That was it. He was made to live in the moment. He hadn’t been doing that, which, theoretically was his entire problem. We gave him a goal. We granted him the gift of urgency, and he accepted it full bore, barreling down the sidewalk in pursuit of his size XXXXL security blanket.

I was too fixated on the fact that I’d learned something new to laugh.

Some of you may think this approach is cruel, but look at both sides of the issue. When someone dumps their problems on your doorstep – putting your health at risk in the bargain – the only move you can make is to put both hands on your broom and sweep them away as best you can.

Especially when they’re not paying you enough to care.

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bkmarcus.com/cache/POW/

a very interesting account of cigarettes as currency in pow camps post ww2.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My professor used that as his key example to explain micro economics for over half a semester He LOVED it. Cigarettes, chocolate, and saltines, but cigarettes were always the primary unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 24 of 48

Jump to: