The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nothing really rhymes with oblivion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like how everything is microsoft's fault.

Quote:
Isn't that going to be true about any set of enthusiasts? If you go onto a board consisting of people with the specs of their PC in their sigs, possibly next to pictures of cars and/or scantily clad women, are you not repulsed?

absolutely, at least the being repulsed part. it certainly made me more ashamed of my activities and interests, as i noted in the pc article in issue #5.

any set of enthusiasts, though? no, some fans are worse than others. and some are dumber than others. sets that skew young are going to be stupider, on average, than sets that skew somewhat older. (they may also be stupid in varying ways, depending on your tolerance for certain kinds of behavior)

again, sit in a gamestop for five minutes and FEEL THE BURN. it's probably worse for you because you work in the industry, so they're your children, so to speak.

different burns for different urns, as they say, of course, but i can sit in a used bookstore - even the fucking strand - and not feel like i should eviscerate myself for sharing space with these jackass mutant snapperheads, much less interests.

now maybe that's a "different nerds for different turds" thing? sure, possibly.

but these kids are uneducated fuckfaces. and some of them have had children already. and are in their 30s. like, fuck.

that does make me wonder - out loud - what, exactly, it is that draws me to this stuff, and draws them to this stuff. it definitely makes me ask "am i doing something wrong here?"

Quote:
Or, to use a more extreme example, have you listened to people have conversations in high-end wine boutiques?

no, wine smells like vomit and is yucky except in sangria form

i would imagine it's pretty bad though.

edit: the thing about the above post, however, is that he's fundamentally correct. co-dev'ing xbox and pc games does fuck things up here and there on the pc side (read: "IW-ing a game") but he can't just say that in three or four sentences.

also, keep in mind that the above is a fairly good post by the standards of these boards.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
any set of enthusiasts, though? no, some fans are worse than others. and some are dumber than others. sets that skew young are going to be stupider, on average, than sets that skew somewhat older. (they may also be stupid in varying ways, depending on your tolerance for certain kinds of behavior)

again, sit in a gamestop for five minutes and FEEL THE BURN. it's probably worse for you because you work in the industry, so they're your children, so to speak.

Oh, I agree, I'm just suggesting the caveat that console gamers as a whole aren't well represented by the sample of people who hang out in Gamestop. Those people may be infinitely worse than the worst character that you'd run into in a used bookstore; that doesn't really mean that even Joe Blow who just plays Madden and GTA (to use a trope) is anywhere near that awful.

I would actually draw a parallel to the pro-pot community. There's tons and tons of reasonable "normal" people who are console gamers, they're just not the public face of the hobby.

Quote:
edit: the thing about the above post, however, is that he's fundamentally correct. co-dev'ing xbox and pc games does fuck things up here and there on the pc side (read: "IW-ing a game") but he can't just say that in three or four sentences.

I do agree that cross-platform development is generally a bad idea. It's also perhaps inescapable. As long as the architectures are at least somewhat similar, there is little or no justification for the immense increase in cost that would be involved in developing two different versions.

That said, I think that his logic for why there are no medium- and high- res textures for faraway land in Oblivion to be a little iffy. For example, he says that size is obviously not a concern because hey, those textures are only 200 MBs! I don't think he realizes how possible it is that a game like Oblivion would be pushing the size limit of the media and how 200 MBs of space is a non-trivial amount in that situation. If that is the case and the devs were put in the position of deciding what goes in the game and what doesn't, if you could cut some texture files that would fit the game on one disc and you couldn't even use those files on the 360, do you think those files would be the first on the chopping block? You bet they would.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been convinced that Oblivion has been dumbed-down from Morrowind. I mean, maybe the changes are far more monumental if you're really into the game? But even then, I was a huge fan or Morrowind. It's one of my all time favourites.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I don't understand the fervor. It's not even a matter of not being important, it just doesn't seem like the spirit of the game has changed much.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of it has to do with issues of self-perception, which is probably what dhex is writing about.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.

On a totally unrelated note, I've poured about 5 hours into using the editor! Note that I haven't actually produced anything yet. It's still fun, I like editors.

I'll let you know if I do something interesting.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priceless.

Sorry, haven't read the current page. Just had to post that little gem from the Oblivion forum thread linked last page.

dhex wrote:
to misquote "bob" - "you know how dumb the average gamer is? well, half of them are even dumber than that."

Yeah, to paraphrase an old adage: "The biggest argument against the legitimacy of videogaming is a five minute discussion with the average videogamer."

Then, a couple posts down dhex wrote:
this kinda makes me feel stupid, but every time i feel like arguing against the "dumbing down" (the IW-ification, in my terms) of oblivion due to console gamers, i start by saying "well, that's a broad overgeneraliza-" and then think about every time i've ever been in a gamestop or whatever and actually listened to console gamers.

Well, fuck!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If that is the case and the devs were put in the position of deciding what goes in the game and what doesn't, if you could cut some texture files that would fit the game on one disc and you couldn't even use those files on the 360, do you think those files would be the first on the chopping block? You bet they would.

well, yeah, but you're thinking of this in terms of actual process, not a platonic idealism. it's entirely different when you're approaching what can be done versus what you want to do. which may be why fans are so goddamn irritating.

it's one thing to be angry at a feature set, or express disappointment. another entirely to basically say "you fucked us, bethesda! you fucked us and our wonderful memories! we will never forgive you!" of course, one has to deal with such attitudes in the real world, unfortunately, but the whole "sell-out" thing (even if it is true) leaves a bad taste in my mouth. like kids whose favorite band hit big, they don't think "oh, that's great, they can eat real food and not have to live in a van and tour 400 days a year" but rather "they're destroying MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF THEM!" which is so self-centred and arrogant as to literally liquify my brain.

i mean, i do wonder if these guys actually do remember arena and daggerfall. arena was basically incomplete out of the box, and daggerfall was a fucking beta. those games were so broken that i never beat either one. and i didn't care. they were deeply enjoyable (thought ultima underworld was a far better "game" in terms of not being totally broken and having an actual narrative, i likes me some sandbox etc etc and so forth)

even morrowind was basically half-fucked in spots for a long time.

a bold hypothesis: the appeal of the TES series was its very broken-ness! that's what i loved most. it was chaotic! unforgiveable! completely fucking redonkulus! you could do thousands of thing with little or no point or impact. the world was your 2.5D oyster.

the construction set changes are unfortunate, however. i could give a fuck about horse armor, though, lemme tell you.

new pet peeve: bitching about "realism" in a swords and sorcery game. (the term they should be using is "appropriate," not "realistic")

i do think the spirit is there, but the packaging has been changed to a great degree, mostly for good and some for ill. it has been simplified, and i think the total voice acting thing was a huge mistake. they simply don't have enough room or voice actors for so many different sound files, and it destroys immersion. if i could turn off all dialogue acting (but leave npc and creature noises/convos intact) it'd be nice.

that said...i will reconsider buying pc titles which have been co-dev'd from now on. i do not hate companies for doing this - it's the only reasonable solution, mind you - but there is some subtle zeitgeist current whatever to the idea of a game undergoing "xboxification" which isn't entirely wrong, even if it is expressed largely in simian grunting and feces-tossing.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a question: is oblivion the first game in the TES series that doesn't really forgive power-leveling?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i mean, i do wonder if these guys actually do remember arena and daggerfall. arena was basically incomplete out of the box, and daggerfall was a fucking beta. those games were so broken that i never beat either one. and i didn't care. they were deeply enjoyable (thought ultima underworld was a far better "game" in terms of not being totally broken and having an actual narrative, i likes me some sandbox etc etc and so forth)

I find most of the "this is broken" posts hilarious for this reason. Yes, the game is broken. TES games tend to be that way. If anything, this is the most stable and bug-free TES game ever made.

Quote:
new pet peeve: bitching about "realism" in a swords and sorcery game. (the term they should be using is "appropriate," not "realistic")

The terrm I like to use is "coherent", which I think means basicaly the same as "appropriate" as you're using it.

Quote:
it has been simplified, and i think the total voice acting thing was a huge mistake.

Yeah. I had some IW-moments playing last night, the worst being a quest which involved breaking into somebody's house when he's not there. Now, the game tells you to do this when you follow the guy home, so logically enough I camped out across the street and waited for him to leave.

I sat there for 18 hours game-time before deciding that I'd had enough and busting in. I grabbed what I needed and while I was on the way out, I ran into the guy.

There were two problems with this:

1) When he ran into me, inside his house, he responded with a grumpy "Hello." I ran out of the house, expecting him to pursue me. Nope. No angry guy, no bounty, nothing. Keep in mind that the only way to get into this house is to commit a crime. Why wasn't he angry? Why didn't he attack me? I can only think that since it was a quest, the game went "easy" on me.

2) Thinking that maybe he'd woken up and come downstairs because he was about to leave the house, I loaded the save I'd made from right before I'd entered the house and waited for him to leave, only to see him walk down the street and enter the house. When he'd caught me breaking and entering, he wasn't waking up, he was coming home.

Now, the portion of the quest to investigate his house started when he had gone home earlier and I had been sitting outside his house waiting for him to leave since. Which leaves two possibilities:

a) I missed him leaving his house, for whatever reason. I find this unlikely; it's possible, though.

b) The game automatically placed him outside of his house without ever having left it, in order to facilitate the player immediately entering his house rather than waiting around for him to leave.

If it's the latter, that strikes me as particularly banal and very much not in the TES spirit of things.

Quote:
a question: is oblivion the first game in the TES series that doesn't really forgive power-leveling?

You might be the best-qualified person on the board to answer this. I've only played Morrowind, which certainly was very different in terms of level up madness.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a bold hypothesis: the appeal of the TES series was its very broken-ness! that's what i loved most. it was chaotic! unforgiveable! completely fucking redonkulus! you could do thousands of thing with little or no point or impact. the world was your 2.5D oyster.

There's some merit to this hypothesis. I was having this exact discussion with a friend, when we both realized that neither of us had spent any time exploring the dungeons in Daggerfall. All our antics were centered around the cities and mostly robbery. This is not the apparent intent of the game.

Quote:
1) When he ran into me, inside his house, he responded with a grumpy "Hello." I ran out of the house, expecting him to pursue me. Nope. No angry guy, no bounty, nothing. Keep in mind that the only way to get into this house is to commit a crime. Why wasn't he angry? Why didn't he attack me? I can only think that since it was a quest, the game went "easy" on me.

All NPCs seem to do this. I've definately broken right into houses where the occupants are still awake. They just walk over and ask me to leave instead of calling the guards. Or else just follow me around until I leave on my own.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Quote:

All NPCs seem to do this. I've definately broken right into houses where the occupants are still awake. They just walk over and ask me to leave instead of calling the guards. Or else just follow me around until I leave on my own.

Well, I guess it's nice to know that it's the game being retarded, rather than being condescending.

I guess.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1up posted a story that pointed to a movie showing nekked grrls in the modded Oblivion. I thought this was relevant!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a pretty big mod like this for Morrowind too. It's nothing new, I guess the full nudity in Daggerfall set a precedent.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
There was a pretty big mod like this for Morrowind too. It's nothing new, I guess the full nudity in Daggerfall set a precedent.

If Oblivion is anything like Morrowind then the nekked mod is very important to the maturity level of the game.

I am dead serious, hear me out.

So in Morrowind I use to play on the Xbox (where I sunk over 200 hours) and I would strip everyone of everything they owned when I killed them. In an effort to make Morrowind look awesome on my PC I did all kinds of modding and one involved better skin/body models. When I installed it it gave me three options: Original with underware, realistic nudity, and Boys mode (big boobs and full nudity on women and underware for guys).

I went with realistic.

So I am all of a sudden woken up when an assasin tries to kill me. I kill him and then strip him of everything. Then, laying on the ground face up is a Dark Elf with a flacid penis lolling to the side of his inner thigh. I was shocked at my reaction to it, it made everything have an impact to me. It was one step closer to breaking down the line between "killing something" and "playing a game." I thought that I would have no problem with the women even though I has started to carry around pants for the men. As soon as I killed my first lady with her breasts hanging out, laying in the mud, I felt odd again. It was this that made me decide not to strip the bodies out of respect.

I know, it is crazy. I feel this is very important though. I wished that Bethsada (sp?) had decided to sell an AO version of the game with this on their website to promote this kind of realism. Oh well.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The different thing about Daggerfall is that only the player character was ever nude. Well, there were the witches, and people changing in inn rooms. But I mean the enemies were totally seperate entities. Just sprites. I can see why it would be unsettling.

Also, a Marxist reading of Oblivion might note how the means of production are entirely invisible. There's no serfdom in the Empire, apparently two or three private family vegetable gardens are enough to feed the entire nation. Not that I'm obsessed with realism, but it's made obvious by how Bethesda focuses on worldy detail. There's loads of shop keepers, but you never see the glassblowers, tanners, fishmongers, etc.

I think Cyrodil has an adventure based economy. By clearing out dungeons the player is actually ruining the only source of income for any nearby settlement. Although, they're probably having problems already since I'm sure if you took a census you'd find bandits outnumber citizens by 3 to 1.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen farms, though. or did i hallucinate them?

also, imports! imports imports imports!

they're a very mercantile-oriented society for an empire.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, there are a few farms. But they've got like, three rows of corn and some strawberries maybe.

Agreed about importing. The Empire has some serious colonialism going on.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bethesda comments on oblivion gender bias concerns?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wandering aimlessly through the heartlands, mapping First Era forts and Ayleid ruins, picking flowers, that kind of thing. I hear the music change to the battle theme, and as usual, I do a 360 check of my surroundings to see what's trying to kill me. There's a huge minotaur warrior charging through the underbrush at me. No problem, I've fought minotaurs before and won. I can take them relatively easily in a one on one match. But then I see another one behind him...and another, and another. When they surround me and start pounding me into the ground with their huge warhammers I reconsider my chances and bolt. I'm pretty quick, so I figure I can outrun them over long distances.

I run for a good couple minutes. There's an inn up ahead, and I don't think they're following me, so I duck inside. There are few people, just a Imperial Legion Forester sitting and drinking some ale and the barkeepe in the main hall. Both greet me when I enter. They're less impressed when four minotaurs follow me in. What ensues is an impressive bar-room brawl. The barkeep pulls out this massive steel warhammer he apparently had stashed under the bar and jumps across it to face the first minotaur. The Forester backs into the corner and starts rapidly firing arrows into the crowd (afterwards the barkeep has one stuck right through his shoulder). A Redguard woman rushes downstairs, apparently woken by the ruckus, and starts fist-fighting the nearest one. At this point I figure I should contribute and rush in to the fray with my longsword.

We won in just a few moments. The funny thing about big minotaurs and small inns, is that they fill practically the entire hall. So basically no one can get to the back tables anymore because there's a pile of minotaurs in the way.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how about that downloadable content, eh guys?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they churn out some good add-ons for 2 bucks i might be temped.

had some good times last night. had a mission - a spoiler free mission - where i had to find this dude for another dude and then question dude1. dude2 takes us on a walk back to his house from bruma to chorrol on foot...the long way around the imperial district. insanity.

i eventually just fast travelled to his house, did the interrogation (great twister there, btw) and then went back and found dude2 standing where i had left him the day before. great stuff.

the combat does get progressively more awesome as you go on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

had some good times last night. had a mission - a spoiler free mission - where i had to find this dude for another dude and then question dude1.

That sounds like almost every RPG ever. If you had just typed that sentence it would've been the most awesome spoiler-free mission ever.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i should have included the scale thing. it would have taken about 3 hours of real time to walk back to chorrol using the route this chucklehead had picked.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has been playing Oblivion with his resolution set to 640x480 with 16 bit color depth and all effects turned off and he still gets slowdown. He's at the final mission of the main quest but he can't finish because it slows down so much.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously something is wrong. it's a fairly resource-heavy game. but a lot of folks seem to have bought this game without checking forums or the box copy first, which is never a good idea with a bethsoft production.

turning the color depth down seems like a bad solution to me, though. i can't see it improving rendering speeds that much.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's mainly his computer. It really sucks.

Granted, I have no room to talk (I could barely run San Andreas), but I'm not trying to run Oblivion.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, pcs are a bitch.

anyway, i'm becoming more and more convinced that the people who are most aggrieved about the leveled loot and enemies don't actually remember playing daggerfall, but have fond memories of their idealized memories.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
I think it's mainly his computer. It really sucks.

I recommend that you tell him to download the Omega Drivers for his computer if he can. They took morrowind on my laptop from unplayable to very playable and very pretty.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=361421

this is a great and stupid story, and makes me hail oblivion in a really cheesy modern day viking sumble sort of way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
a) I missed him leaving his house, for whatever reason. I find this unlikely; it's possible, though.

b) The game automatically placed him outside of his house without ever having left it, in order to facilitate the player immediately entering his house rather than waiting around for him to leave.

I played through this quest again last night with a different character and I was greatly relieved to see that it must have been a), as I clearly saw the character step outside his house and walk away this time.

I'm starting to hit the "too much crap" limit and am contemplating buying a house. Is the shack in Imperial City the only affordable home (2000 S)?
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house in Anvil is really really nice and costs only 2,000 but you have to do a quest before you can really live there. It's haunted.

There's a lot to be said for roleplaying! My one friend has a Nord character who uses only hand to hand and wears only fur boots and gauntlets. He is far more interesting than my other friend's power-levelled character, master of all guilds and laden down with unique enchanted items. If you just keep focusing on character improvement you will become generic power character very quickly. Also, if you try doing the main quest at a higher level you'll find yourself fighting crowds of really powerful enemies all the time.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
My one friend has a Nord character who uses only hand to hand and wears only fur boots and gauntlets.

I play a character like this as well. He only wears regular clothes and he almost never leaves the Imperial City (I spend a fair amount of time in the sewers and breaking into people's basements). I keep getting in trouble with the law for getting into barfights.

I'm contemplating making a Vampire- or Witch-hunter as my next character, now that I've got a better idea of what the various skills do.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current character is a vampire wizard, I think I've mentioned this. I had a skull collection for awhile! He looks pretty villainous with his fur coat and silver dagger.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just kill someone and take over their house like in Morrowind?

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't order furniture that way, though.

And if they die inside your house, you're stuck with the corpse lying there and bumming out everybody who comes over.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
And if they die inside your house, you're stuck with the corpse lying there and bumming out everybody who comes over.

Can't you just dump it in the Hudson?

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an interesting sort-of bug. Earlier, I'd done some adventuring on a ruin that's on an island, pretty much as far from land as you can get in the game. Because of weight limitations, I'd had to leave a fair amount of really nice loot on the island. Rather than use the boat that I'd used earlier, I decided to see if I could fast travel to the island.

I could! Delighted, I ran into the ruin, collected my loot and ran back out.

"You are unable to fast-travel from this location."

So, uh, how'd I *get* there?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fighter's guild contact (now my second in command) continues to wander the streets of oblivion...he's stuck out there and only moves if i follow him. except i'm not going to waste five hours walking him back to chorrol.

or maybe i will?

EDIT: i can't stop picking the scabs!

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=367418

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can probably figure out console commands to warp him back to Chorrol. It would involve figuring out his ID number or whatever they choose to call it and then using a console command to bring him to you when you're standing in Chorrol. I've seen people talking about similar things on the TES boards when NPCs go on walkabouts.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i'm going to leave his ass out there, though.

like, fuck you if you can't find your way home there, bruh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing a quest the other day that started looping. You're supposed to kill a group of people; however, one of the people wasn't attacking me, even after I'd slaughtered everybody else. She just stood there, going through the same loop of dialogue that ended with her ordering her group to attack, only to have her return to standing there complacently with corpses lying around her feet.

The quest wouldn't resolve either, so I finally gave up and murdered her, complete with the "Someone has noticed you doing this" message. Then the quest resolved. Oddly enough I didn't have a bounty or anything like that, so I wonder if the game feels that I've commited murder or not.

This one actually has a good point, even if they take it too far:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=367743
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding the game much more fun to play as low level characters. I've done a few where I just charge through a bunch of things then retire them.

EDIT: also, what's with the ugly thread? There's a few weird looking NPCs, but most look pretty normal (ie: mundane) to me.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

EDIT: also, what's with the ugly thread?

real roleplaying = beating off to generated characters.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got to the oblivion gates.

whoa!

i ran through the fighter's guild, arena and dark brotherhoods first. i have two houses (anvil and bravil) and a whole load of good weapons.

i think i've put in about 50 hours. i'm kinda powergaming for the rest of today cause i'm in paper hell after sunday.

edit: WHAT THE HELL?

i've died more in kvatch than i have in every other elder scrolls game combined.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't die once in Kvatch. I think it's because the lower-level Daedra are significantly easier than higher-level Daedra. The nastiest thing I've seen is a Dremora lord and it's almost always just Scamps or Clannfear. I've cleared one main-story gate and a couple random gates and gotten some decent loot from them as well.

Right now I'm going through the Thieves Guild quests, which are kind of annoying because they require you to fence 100 septims worth of items between each quest. This wouldn't be as annoying as it is if there were decently-priced items in people's homes. As it is, you have to scrounge to find anything worth more than 1 or 2 septims and most of the money is made from cleaning out people's wardrobes and wine cellars.

And the game did figure I was a murderer as a result of actions mentioned earlier in the thread, as the Dark Brotherhood attempted to recruit me. Feeling role-play-y, I protested my innocence and then slaughtered the Dark Brotherhood representative for disputing my honor (after all, the Thieves Guild hadn't made me make a blood payment for killing someone*).

On one hand, I can't do any of the Dark Brotherhood quests with this character. On the other hand, the Thieves Guild didn't make me pay for killing the representative and his robes and hood were pretty kick-ass.

* - One stipulation of the Thieves Guild is that you can't murder. If you do, you're kicked out of the Guild and you have to pay a massive fine to get back in.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of surprised you have much trouble fencing stuff, I think I fenced something like 2,000 worth to Ongar the World-Weary just by raiding the count's castle in Bruma!

And yeah, you'll find that power-levelling makes the later quests nigh impossible.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, well, my kvatch experience was all ice antronachs and daedroth. that fucking sucked.

yeah, db is a lot cooler than those lame-o thieves.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the abandoned house in...Cheydinhal (is it?) was the scariest thing I've ever discovered in a game. The Morag Tong was a way classier assassin's guild though.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably my problem, I've been burglarizing regular citizens rather than royalty. I'll concentrate on the Count and Countess of Leyawin[sp], since I don't have a lot of qualms about ripping off rich people who like to kidnap and torture based on race.

The DB is a bunch of dbs, if you get my drift. I'll grant that they have a better sense of style, though.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty good stuff, aside from the music. Very much like the Oblivion glitch video posted in the video thread.

I'm guessing that it's some sort of paralysis effect that causes a bug in the "skeleton" of the character model of those guards.

I'm currently in the middle of the Final Quest for the Thieves Guild and it's a bear. Tasty tasty catacombs.

I think I've figured out one of the things that bugs me about Oblivion. It's really combat-oriented.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: