The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Multimedia Era: was it bad for gaming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: The Multimedia Era: was it bad for gaming? Reply with quote

Came across This today, which was probably spurred by this or vice versa. The multi-media era was a dark age for video games. FMV Games became a full-on genre for a while and people - dads really - bought into this big time as they pimped out their computers with CD-Roms, bought copies of Myst and Dragon's Lair for PC and were genuinely impressed with how technology was making their lives easier. "This is the future," they said, and seemingly everyone in gaming wanted a part of it.

I remember this era extremely vividly. I can't remember the Weezer concert I went to 2 years ago, but the CD-Rom era - that shit I've got down pat. Anyway, Sega and NEC both took advantage of the CD-Rom format and both had very different ideas of what a CD-Rom should be used for. The Turbografx often used the CD to increase the amount of content (hu-cards were relatively tiny) and improve the music, while the Genesis used it to do FMV games, add non-interactive cinemas in between game levels and add CD Quality music to games. In general, everyone had a lot of this extra space but no real ideas on how to use it. Despite this, developers had pegged CDs as the future and began abandoning traditional interaction as they experimented with storytelling and non-interactive cinematic presentation at the expense of gameplay.

In my estimation, this era climaxed with the release of Final Fantasy VII and quickly petered off. Say what you will about the game's quality, but it wasn't until its release that developers finally realized, "Hey, we need to include a game with this presentation," and started bookending FMV with solid gameplay.

My questions for you are:
Was this era a positive thing for gaming as a whole?
Was it worth putting up with all of the bad to get where we are today?
In what ways were/are we better off before/after the advent of CD-Media?
What do you remember most about this time period?
Am I wrong in my assertions?

The Good: 7th Guest, Myst
The Bad: Sewer Shark, Make your own Music Video Featuring Kriss Kross
The Undecided: Phantasmagoria, Voyeur, Willy Beamish
(feel free to make your own list)

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasn't able to get a cd rom until i got a job, so i missed most of this, thankfully. i was still swapping 5 1/4 discs for a long, long time.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read the IC wiki ... yet. So I did not get it from that.

Anyways, I have some very fond Willy Beamish memories. I had it on floppy disk though, so I don't know why you include it on that list. I also love Dragon's Lair. But I have a weakness for Bluth stuff in general.

EDIT: You also forgot Mad Dog McRee, or what ever that was. It was somewhat fun.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
Anyways, I have some very fond Willy Beamish memories. I had it on floppy disk though, so I don't know why you include it on that list.

'Cause I've got it on Sega CD!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sega and NEC both took advantage of the CD-Rom format and both had very different ideas of what a CD-Rom should be used for. The Turbografx often used the CD to increase the amount of content (hu-cards were relatively tiny) and improve the music, while the Genesis used it to do FMV games, add non-interactive cinemas in between game levels and add CD Quality music to games. In general, everyone had a lot of this extra space but no real ideas on how to use it.

I'm a bit of a CD-Rom era fanatic as well. Ys I & II and Sonic CD will do that to you. The thing is, and pardon my technobabbles, gaming hardware wasn't yet prepared for the 'multimedia age' ushered in by the CD optical format. And it's exactly why FMV took off. Where developers could have been using the storage space for dynamic sound and video streaming, spectacular static CG backgrounds (see RE, FFVII), and so forth...the bloody NEC and Sega CD systems were woefully lacking the memory to cache all that storage advantage and the video quality to display it. And so, in light of these tragically mismatched hardware choices, people tried ways to create gameplay with video playback in hideous color and resolution. NEC tried to rise from the bog with the PC-FX a little later on, but it didn’t work out.

To hell with that. Redbook audio and minor cinematics were the best use of the CD in that particular era. The format was too poorly matched with immature hardware to be used well for much else.
Bai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lack the gaming history knowledge to comment on whether CD-media was a positive development or 'worth putting up with' in the long run. Lacking a comparative reference point and judging criteria is also a problem.

It is a safe assumption though, that if CD-media hadn't triumphed, another media form would have taken its place which tends to overshadow hypothetical discussions such as these.

I do argue, as Steven Poole does in "Triggerhappy", that Final Fantasy 7's release was an important turning point in videogame history. That one game, along with WipEout 2097 changed people's expectations of what videogames could achieve production-wise which, in turn, decided what kinds of games developers needed to create to get consumers' attention.

In retrospect, we perceive Myst and Dragon's Lair to be merely competent but the gaming press in those days praised them, proclaiming them as revolutionary which is far from the truth. The damage, nonetheless, was done. The tired opinion circulated by videogame journalists that new hardware is objectively good continues to influence and shape the industry till this day.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bai wrote:
In retrospect, we perceive Myst and Dragon's Lair to be merely competent but the gaming press in those days praised them, proclaiming them as revolutionary which is far from the truth.

i think their offspring have aged better than myst and dragon's lair (respectively: riven and a handful of other games and elements; "qte"). but the originals have taught us, i think, important lessons about design (respectively: worlds need cohesion, not just jumbles of pretty renders; streamline play too much and you streamline the player out of the game).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the finest examples of multimedia gaming for me, has to be Popful Mail ont he Sega CD.

Excellent cut scenes between each level, nicely animated with great voice acting, plus voice acting for all the major characters and before each boss fight. Not to mention some nice sound, and plenty of variety with the visuals. It may not have gone beyond the best the MD could do (though the amount of colour is excellent), but there was certainly a great deal of variety between each level.

In my opinion, I'd say that Popful Mail is the perfect example of good multimedia based gaming. They used the CD well.

The same also goes for Star Control 2. The basic game could fit on a floppy, but the voice acting on the CD version really made it IMO.

Also! Dess, have you tried changing the selected drive in Gens? Check under Options, then "Current CD drive". It's worth persevering with to get working. I have no idea about creating an ISO for virtual drives, so sadly cannot give advice on that. It might be worth asking someone with major tech knowledge, since I'm no expert.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
It might be worth asking someone with major tech knowledge, since I'm no expert.

does anyone have major tech knowledge? i'm trying to run a NON-YARRED cd of the the sega cd popful mail, but my gens emulator is only reading my virtual rom drive. that's why i thought it might be a good idea to rip the cd to an iso - does anyone know how to do this?

Last edited by dessgeega on Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh! Don't tell anyone it was yarred!

Is it possible to change the selected drive via the options tab?
disneyland

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Gens: Options > Change CD Drive. Choose drive with CD loaded.

If that doesn't work, try mounting the physical Popful CD on your virtual drive, then select that drive from the Options again, as per above. Oddly enough, that usually works (and it finds the redbook tunes, whether .wav or mp3, in the same directory).

Alternate emulator: Kega Fusion. Really quite good. Perfect sound (even 32X -- the only emulator that nails the PSG sample channels).

Also of note: you do have your Sega CD/Mega CD bios files, ya? And pointing them in the right direction through the emulator -
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't tell anyone it was yarred!

holy shit. is that like literal pirate speak? cause if it is, that's my new favorite word.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current favourite euphemism is "pegleg-and-eyepatched".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: