The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Wrong with Resistance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: What's Wrong with Resistance? Reply with quote

My gaming buddy picked up Resistance 'cause it was cheap and in general he's feeling his PS3 is underutilized.

Admittedly we only played the first level, and I saw on Wikipedia that after that it changes a bit (gets some now "normal" FPS stuff like health regeneration, maybe?) but overall after that level we weren't very psyched about the game.

We were trying to put our finger on "why". My favorite idea is the reason is a bit kinetic; the game doesn't feel "meaty" somehow. My second favorite idea is that this is due in part to the PS3 controller; it's kind of sketchy feeling, especially the R1/R2/L1/L2 buttons... compared to the 360 w/ it's bigger grips and more feedback rick blade triggers...

I dunno, any thoughts?
All Night Diner

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing that is wrong with every other dull FPS that game developers shit out
Redeye

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong with Resistance? Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
... after that it changes a bit (gets some now "normal" FPS stuff like health regeneration, maybe?)...
I dunno, any thoughts?

I'd prefer a stamina bar to regenerating health.

As far a "meatiness" is concerned, do you mean that victories are hollow/game is lacking in intensity, something like that?
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Resistance just fine, but didn't think it was anything special. Resistance 2, on the other hand, is superb and I'd recommend it to anyone who has a PS3. Resistance 1 is a well-done, but mostly generic FPS that does two things really well. The first of these is its weapon selection. Every gun has its own fun gimmick, and the setpieces you're thrown into do a good job of taking advantage of those gimmicks. The second thing Resistance does well is co-op. Co-op tends to make everything better though, and there's nothing particularly special about Resistance's implementations that makes it stand out.

Resistance 2 doesn't have co-op - at least, not a traditional story-mode co-op - but it makes up for this by having a genuinely awesome single player campaign. I really can't recommend it enough.

And Killzone 2 is kind of lame.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I played of the first Resistance was the demo, which was simply awful. But yeah, the second one has been fun and far more imaginative. Running through a clearcut meadow full of invisible instagibbing chimera with an itchy finger on the shotgun trigger was pretty thrilling.

Game does good things with visibility in general, really. See/shoot through walls gun, nice uses of darkness, great sound cues with those invisible guys. I appreciate the abstraction.

I dislike the bosses though- they do a great job with minibosses, who are big and tough and vicious, but then you run into the real ones and they're just stupid puzzle bosses. Shouldn't we be done with puzzle bosses by now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: