The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LCD mmoonniittoorrsss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: LCD mmoonniittoorrsss Reply with quote

After realizing that I couldn't even play some of the stuff I've worked on, I decided it was time to get a new system. I'm building a system for the first time, but the hardest thing I've had to decide is what monitor to get. I'm currently looking at the LG 20" Widescreen Monitor (L204WT) for $356 (with tax) at Circuit City. There is a 19" widescreen for $272 with tax at Best Buy, but I read that the different between a 19" and 20" widescreen was fairly significant.

Anyone have any other suggestions, or maybe some experience with these? A friend has two 19" LGs, normal, that are pretty good. All of the reviews I can find for the 20" are very impressive. I'm open to all suggestions though. With the 20", I'm looking at around $1660 with tax for the system, which isn't bad considering this will be it for a long time.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you'd even consider buying them retail.

A quick check on dealnews.com reveals plenty of 22" monitors for around $300.

I use a Dell 2405FPW 24" display I've been totally happy with.
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the only place that sells LG monitors. Even LG's site links to CC and Best Buy. There is one online company that sells the 20", but they have a fairly poor reputation on the BBB's website.

I chose those because, out of my time at Maximum PC's, WideScreenGaming's, and Anantech's forums, they had the best reviews from users.

I read that Dell's monitors go through a lottery system, with two models being not too hot (ghosting being one problem). Do you play many first-person shooters? Notice any problems?
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had ghosting problems here.

If you're really set on the LG, are you already factoring in $40 off $200 coupon for Circuit City?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like my viewsonic television quite a bit, no ghosting despite the relatively low speed (8ms) and the size (27") and i play a lot of fps games so on a dedicated monitor, like the LG's, you should be golden.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $40 off seems to be over. I checked a bunch of deal sites and apparently it ended 1/31. Bah!
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one good till 2/28:
http://www.uploading.com/files/3S390M98/CAG_Coupon_Pack_01FEB2007.zip.html

password on the file is cheapassgamer.com
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend mentioned this morning that LCD HDTVs are going to undergo a massive price drop relatively soon because of market saturation, so if you can hold off for a bit, I do believe that there should be some good deals -- he specifically mentioned 30"+ HDTVs dropping below $300, that sort of thing.
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm getting a new TV soon as well. I had heard that there was going to be a drop as well, and for that I'm looking at a 27" Samsung. They seem to be pretty solid TVs.

Thanks for the coupons! I've never printed one out before. It says reproductions aren't allowed, but I guess I'll give it a go anyway.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
Yeah, I'm getting a new TV soon as well. I had heard that there was going to be a drop as well, and for that I'm looking at a 27" Samsung. They seem to be pretty solid TVs.

Thanks for the coupons! I've never printed one out before. It says reproductions aren't allowed, but I guess I'll give it a go anyway.

They always say that, even if they're internet coupons you're supposed to print out. When I bought my Wii, i used one of the $40 off $200 coupons and even though it got pulled by Circuit City corporate, the store manually gave me the discount. It can't hurt anyway!

For the record I have a 3 year old 17" Viewsonic that served me well (until it broke, but assuming I send it in before the warranty expires it will continue to serve me well in the future).
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone could help me out here, please.

I am currently looking for an LCD monitor (maybe a pair if I like them well enough) and am hoping y'all could steer me towards a model that is fine for normal PC gaming and approved for some TATE mode madness on MAME.

Since I am looking for one that is approved for portrait-style viewing, the monitor doesn't have to be a widescreen model. 4:3 would be cool for my needs. A 16:9 screen would stretch any images in TATE mode, I imagine.
dongle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can keep aspect in TATE modes with 16:9/16:10 monitors. Widescreen computing is GREAT.

Dell 2005 or 7 FPW w/ S-IPS panel or BenQ fp241w w/ P-MVA panel.

The BenQ is 24" of 1920x1200 love and can be had refurbished for $378. I haven't compared it with my 2005FPW yet which is, FWIW, more or less identical to the Apple Cinema Display.

stay away from TN panels. Those are so ugly Sad

Last edited by dongle on Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also vouch for the 2405fp. It's a great monitor to game on... the new one (2407fp I believe) has even better specs!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i'd had a normal desktop i probably would have gotten the dell. it's nice looking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are nice monitors and those BenQ refurbished 20" and 24" models are certainly at a very good price. I'll be saving my pennies!

Do any of those swivel to "portrait" view? Can I buy a base that would allow me to do this with any LCD monitor?

I did hear good things about Dell's monitors too, I didn't think those were able to swivel though.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2405FPW swivels. It goes the wrong way for the most common Tate setup, unforunately.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly you can mod them to rotate the other way fairly easily. It's the matter of taking out a 1/2" plastic peg or something like that.
dongle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
Those are nice monitors and those BenQ refurbished 20" and 24" models are certainly at a very good price. I'll be saving my pennies!

The fp241w swivels to portrait. The 24" has a better panel than the 20". Received it today-- no dead or stuck pixels, latest firmware, looked like new. A great deal, IMO, since it's nearly half off at the expense of the warranty.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
Pijaibros wrote:

The fp241w swivels to portrait

Would it be possible to get a pick of something pretty (like this here website or MAME) being displayed on the monitor in portrait mode?

A glorious 24" screen, small latency, and being able to swivel it to portrait view is all I need to be SOLD on this.
dongle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two quick pics. I don't have my tripod with me so they're mediocre but they should give you an idea of what you're getting

ps my speakers suck because i'm a headphones person

Also, the color quality did not suffer noticably going from a 2005fpw to this display (even expensive colorimeters have trouble telling the difference). It has a very nice scaler and de-interlacer so it been working very well with my PS2 and Wii, much better than before.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Faroudja?
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, there's a bug with the Faroudja that causes macroblocking and banding artificacts in gradients. I'm not sure anyone has identified what BenQ uses instead, though.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I've always heard Foroudja is the bee's knees. Not that the people telling me this necessarily knew what they were talking about. I'm not sure what kind of scaler the 2407fp has but I'm sure it's not that great. Still, I play Saturn on it through the s-video input like the masochist I am!
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleNixon wrote:
Interesting. I've always heard Foroudja is the bee's knees. Not that the people telling me this necessarily knew what they were talking about. I'm not sure what kind of scaler the 2407fp has but I'm sure it's not that great. Still, I play Saturn on it through the s-video input like the masochist I am!

2405 & 2407 both use Faroudja processing in Genesis chips. It's great in many ways except for that problem :/
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, the fp241w has sold out at the refurb hut. I hope they replenish their stock. Anyone else have recommendations on an LCD that would work well with MAME?
navratilova

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my LCD screen goes black in hibernation and does not come back on when I move the mouse. It's only 1 year old I have two computers hooked up to this one monitor through a sharing switch and I go to move the mouse and nothing comes on the screen. I have a black screen on both computer channels. What could it be the driver, video card? I'm confused. Please help me out
Malloc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually sounds like your cable, or quite possibly your splitter since you have two monitors hooked up to it. Try plugging just one computer into the monitor and see if that works first off. Then just work your way backwards. If you can output from your computer to a TV, try it just to make sure it works, etc.

If all else fails, pull out your graphics card and re-seat it, then try again. Sometimes they can come loose. If THAT doesn't work it's time to do hardcore diagnostics, i.e. taking stuff that you're not sure if it works and putting it into stuff that you know does work to try to isolate the problem. Hook a different video feed into the monitor, take your graphics card to a friend's computer, etc.

Blank screens can be caused by roughly eight bajillion different things, so you'll have to narrow it down a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: