The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never played any of the Duke Nukem games (even the sidescrollers) before the XBLA demo. I'm surprised how it's more of an adventure game than a rollicking first-person run-n-gun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mount & Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade, The Witcher and the original Warcraft (Orcs and Humans).

I just got in Colonization, so I'll be giving that a whirl.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dudes, Konami Arcade Classics is pretty great.

Just saying.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the GBA one? Yeah, only problem with that is lack of score save -- like GB Tetris.

How's the DS one? It's got a similar collection of games on it...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a GBA one?

Anyway, you can save your scores on the DS and record and trade replays. Each game already has a "game complete" replay which is a nice addition and you have the option of changing the aspect ratio on most of the games, even tate-ing the ones that ran on a more vertical resolution. Oh, and Gradius and Contra in your pocket.

Hooray for Konami!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, the GBA version is lovely. All the games are remade twice (once to wing for accuracy; once with remixed elements), and handled with a lot of verve and care.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
Mount & Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade

Do tell us more. I played a demo....two years ago, was it? Year and a half? At that ponit, it was promising, but it also seemed like it would never become a title you see on store shelves...
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
I'd never played any of the Duke Nukem games (even the sidescrollers) before the XBLA demo. I'm surprised how it's more of an adventure game than a rollicking first-person run-n-gun.

It's true. The 2D sidescrollers were really level-crawls. The dev team was so excited about that whole "smooth scrolling on PC" thing that they made the areas pretty massive. There was lots of hunting around in freakishly garish landscapes.

While Duke 3D goes for the gritty, "realistic" angle, the game still loves itself most when it's a playground. To wit: the par for most of the levels is around three to four minutes; I almost always clock in at 20–40. There is so much to see and do, and at least half a dozen secrets to find, that the game really encourages you to... well, to play.

In other news, I beat Mega Man 2 today. That game is 100% class. As I polished off Dr. Wily, I was eight years old again, except now I possessed powers from the future. Also, in a weird flash of JRPG-memory-gain, I suddenly recalled how into this game I was back in the day.

The best part was when I remembered the fact that I created plasticine versions of Dr. Wily in both his mad-scientist-in-a-ship and alien-hologram forms. Whoa. I think I had those in my mom's fridge for years. I remember you could take the bubble-lid off Wily's ship.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
There was lots of hunting around in freakishly garish landscapes.

Good ol' CGA colour palette.

Sometimes I wish I had completed more than the shareware episode of Duke Nukem but often I'm glad that I didn't. Back in those days I had no patience for vast levels at all. I had Sonic, you could get through most Sonic levels in under a minute. And about a week after I played Duke Nukem I had Commander Keen in Goodbye Galaxy! which I found to be much more enjoyable despite being filled with vast levels itself.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

world of goo. it's sort of like a toothache you can't stop poking with your tongue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's fun, then, right?

Been replaying Torment, as it's been ten years. God I love this game.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

compelling, yes. fun? i don't know if i'm enjoying myself in the traditional sense or just unwilling to say no mas. either way it melted two hours last night. i'm stuck on the giant bridge which i believe is the end of the first world.

it's a better use of physics than a lot of things that use physics.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing PC gaming mainstay Deus Ex again. This time I am doing some real Commando shit, to hell with sneaking around I just want to explode things with rockets.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Lestrade wrote:
There was lots of hunting around in freakishly garish landscapes.

Good ol' CGA colour palette.

EGA, wasn't it, for the first one? With graphics stolen wholecloth from Turrican and other PC/Amiga games?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was EGA.

CGA is like, only made up of cyan and pink.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah. I got the full 16 colour CGA palette mixed up with the EGA one. CGA has one or two graphics modes that aren't just cyan, magenta, white and background colour you know.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the only one it will be remembered for.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-A-I-S wrote:
ryan wrote:
Mount & Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade

Do tell us more. I played a demo....two years ago, was it? Year and a half? At that ponit, it was promising, but it also seemed like it would never become a title you see on store shelves...

I'm trying to think of the state of it back then. It's still very open, and for some reason they got rid of the starter town. Now, new players have to just kind of make do. You can also keep castles, towns, and cities. If you get angry at the king for passing you over for a hard-fought castle, you can rebel and form your own quasi faction. I did just that before the final retail build, but I ran into a serious problem with every faction wanting to kill me because no-one took me seriously since I no longer served under an established king's banner. Paradox put it out, but they took more of a support role while Tale Worlds finished it up.
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGA will always be the Apple ][gs display, to me. I never saw it in contemporaneous use on the PC. I've played things since, mind. Alley Cat, f'instance. First impressions and all, though.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cga calls to mind the horrible red/brown/dark red combination, much like ega calls to mind 31 flavors of shitty blue.

oh hey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_16-bit_computer_hardware_palettes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Colonization is pretty broke. The goal is to found a colony, manage it to success, then declare independence. The problem is such: the more successful your colony is, the less the people want to revolt against the king and the greater the expeditionary force the king prepares for some imagined overthrow. You only have so many turns to win, so if you finally do have the people ready to declare independence, then the king just crushes you since he's been matching your success with an ever growing military. The best way to win reminds me of a method that was required in Rome: Total War, which involves killing your people. If you kill most of your citizens, they get mad at the king (not you), and will want to break away. You have to do this fairly early on as well, because doing it early means the king's expeditionary force will be small and manageable.

Blargh!

I did "win" by way of a European victory though - successfully managing a colony and bowing to the king's whims to the extent that we lead to him being the major power in Europe - but that's not considered a true win.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

world of goo has got me stuck on that red carpet stage. i gotta spend a bit more time thinking about it, i guess.

man i suck at puzzles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHEW!

Jill Off Harder - DAMN.

First Tower: 11:25 or so.

Second BITCH-ASS tower: 30:05 or so.

FUCK SHIT CUNTING BALLS, I am never playing that game again. Smile
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys Orbient is actually keeping me away from Team Fortress 2 a little. Early on, at least, it is a gorgeous game. Brilliant sound design. Who else here has played it?
wourme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
world of goo has got me stuck on that red carpet stage. i gotta spend a bit more time thinking about it, i guess.

For me, that stage was the point at which the game went from great to amazing.

helicopterp wrote:
Guys Orbient is actually keeping me away from Team Fortress 2 a little. Early on, at least, it is a gorgeous game. Brilliant sound design. Who else here has played it?

I think that Orbient is excellent. I've beaten all but the last stage (though I think I read somewhere that there are a couple more sets that you can somehow unlock), and I've got the little moons on most of those I've beaten.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bet alex patterson wishes he had trademarked that name.

i'm kinda stuck in world of goo again. the difficulty curve seems a bit sharp, but that may just be me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out my fiancee hasn't ever played BG or BGII to completion, so we picked up a bit of a collection of Infinity Engine games and are playing through BGtutu as a monk (me) and an archer (her).

Monks start out rough, but I just hit 3, picked up another half attack and my AC's steadily decreasing... can't wait til I can LOH. I might dual into wizard but BGI doesn't really pony up the xp necessary to make that worthwhile. Maybe in BGII.

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody heard of www.backloggery.com website? You can post all the games you've played, beaten, are playing . . . just a thought since this thread is 82 pages long now. I'd be interested to see some people's profiles on there.

My name is Ignotus on there.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just beat Silent Hill: Homecoming earlier tonight, and I'm afraid it was kind of awful. :-( It started off well enough, and then slid downhill from there. I just want to pretend it didn't happen.

PROTIP: Instead of playing Silent Hill 5, play this instead.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I just beat Silent Hill: Homecoming earlier tonight, and I'm afraid it was kind of awful.

This is disappointing. I kind of realized how much my tastes have changed in the past few years when it came out and I didn't really care. Then again I've only ever completed the first Silent Hill.

Have you tried Dead Space? It's pretty fuckin' great.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played the first chapter of World of Goo today. Totally imp rest.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an alternate reality, somewhere in a vault, there is a mad man running around beating the shit out of people with a baseball bat.
Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
In an alternate reality, somewhere in a vault, there is a mad man running around beating the shit out of people with a baseball bat.

trained, experienced security professionals getting owned by a kid
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Crysis finally decided to work for me! But now that I've played a bit of it I'm not so sure how much in love with it I actually am. So far the environment seems less compelling to me than either Far Cry; I think it's probably the addition of the superpowers, having to gauge the environment and encounters by what tricks I can pull rather than really just basing it on terrain. The additional level of abstraction's not something I've adapted to yet. Perhaps I'll appreciate it more as it becomes familiar.

Meanwhile, Far Cry 2's beginning to lose luster as the quests begin to feel the same. There's still some wildly fun moments (sniping utter destruction on the petroleum plant from a hilltop was pretty gleeful), but I've kind of lost interest in the mission setups, especially once the girl stopped giving me counter-objectives and the American dude took over and just made regular objectives more complicated, time-consuming and morally dubious without actually adding anything.

I kind of find it insulting that there are planes in the game that I'm not allowed to drive. Also, I've come to resent the random assassination missions, especially as they begin to repeat locales. I don't want to go back to the lakeside town for a third time, thanks. It's just kind of a pain in the ass after the first.

All in all, I feel like a good mod community could make something amazing out of this; it's a great setting and the environment is lovely, especially the day/night cycle.

Currently my Mirror's Edge demo sits unplayed on the PS3 while my wife watches TV. That's a little excruciating.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently discovered to my infinite glee that Twinsen's Odyssey (aka Little Big Adventure 2) works more or less flawlessly on MacOS X under Crossover Games, which is a sort of reverse-engineered fake Windows environment. I find this kind of astonishing because I had nothing but pain getting it to install and run under actual Windows. (I remember distinctly not being allowed to install the game because it thought I didn't have DirectX 2 installed.) Before that, I had been trying Fallout 2 on for size (which is also a pain to install under modern Windows), but I'm pretty sure that's going to fall by the wayside for a while.

Crossover Games almost runs Everyday Shooter, but it randomly crashes shortly into it. Which is a shame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
silentmatt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is pretty much ExciteTruck extreme.

I'm kinda hooked.
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baja: Edge of Control is too unforgivable to be great, but that Free Roam mode is awesome. I spent half an hour flying over dunes and running down passersby and still didn't hit the end of the area.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:

I certainly didn't get that from the demo I played. Unless by extreme you mean the silly mindset of extreme sports and truckathons, because the action is decidedly less gonzo than the jumping-over-mountains style of Excite Truck. The closest thing I've played to that is Pure, which is somewhere between ET and SSX.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean extreme in a cheesy sense - but in a wow, this feels like a HD version of ExciteTruck that is slightly less zany (no insta-barrel rolls, for instance) but makes up for it with ample amounts of speed and incredible jumps.

I don't know what courses were included in the demo but some of the tracks in the retail version are jaw-dropping awesome. For instance, one course has you racing down a running river through waterfalls (check out this IN-GAME screenshot: http://i36.tinypic.com/2qci694.jpg) . Another, making 800m jumps over bubbling magma.

Plus there is all the course deformation that occurs during a race, which opens up all sorts of new paths as the race progresses...

And then add in the fact taht you are racing against 15 players with Road Rash style vehicle combat (bikes/ATVs get punches; cars and up get side nitro boosts)... I'm having more fun with it than I did with ExciteTruck. And I had a lot of fun with ExciteTruck.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mirror's Edge demo is my Game of the Year 2008. The ten-day wait is going to be painful.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
silentmatt wrote:

I certainly didn't get that from the demo I played.

I tried really hard to like Motorstorm, but in the end I ended up hating it with a firey passion that burns endlessly. It's among my most hated games now, mostly because it teases at greatness so well and then jabs a knife in. It's basically an awesome graphics engine with a crash system and levels built for maximum frustration.

If you want to win you can't crash, if you want to avoid crashing you can't take risks, and if you want to do well you have to take risks. So it's a game of resetting constantly until luck and skill and stars are aligned and you can actually finish with a decent lap.

Pure seemed much better and Excitetruck is for sure better.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two chapters down in World of Goo, which proves that puzzles and physics are swell, but context can be everything. The music alone in "Red Carpet" gave me giggle fits.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Twinsen's Odyssey: My younger self, who was obsessed with this series, must've had a serious penchant for obnoxious control scheme, retarded fetch quests, and things that shoot at you inexplicably. Maybe the first one was better? I sorta doubt it, since you still have to deal with the animation lag during combat and the infuriating wobble-wobble Magic Ball bullshit.

It's so goddamn lovely to look at, though. I mean, holy shit, the LBA series has some of the most impressive low-polygon artwork ever by anyone. And there need to be more games in which you get to spend a little time wandering around in a downpour with one arm holding an umbrella and the other around your pregnant wife.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
there need to be more games in which you get to spend a little time wandering around in a downpour with one arm holding an umbrella and the other around your pregnant wife.

There's always the next KotMK to consider.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead Space is pretty great but feels a lot like I'm playing System Shock 2 again, as a naval officer, but this time the Many won't sing to me.

helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished World of Goo. The final three or four stages (before the epilogue) are positively brilliant. I am shocked at how wide the narrative cast its net.

The epilogue challenges were pretty great, as well.

Anyone else here done? Dhex?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, only a few more days until Mirror's Edge; I can't wait!

I also found out that I'm getting a free N64! This will be my third; thankfully, the last time I sold my N64, I kept my Memory Pak and thus all my Perfect Dark data. I'm so excited to have one again, but without the shame of paying for it!

What games will I buy!? Oh shit, I know:

Perfect Dark
Resident Evil 2
KI Gold (yesssssss)

What else should I get that isn't likely to come to Virtual Console anytime soon?
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plugged away at Valkyria Chronicles a bit. It's alright; even though I like the "book" format for presentation of cutscenes, they're still bad anime cutscenes. I'm such a total sucker for tactical RPGs, but I still haven't found one to match the flawless mechanics and excellent writing (characters, not plot) of the first GBA Fire Emblem. This at least has the possibility of character death, but it's pretty weak as compared to FE. I do like the first person and action elements though, even if the AI seems a little pitiful and uncommitted so far; I always loved FE's policy of picking on the weak. I'll give this a chance for now; I'm curious if we'll end up with actual emotional nuance or just some tacky war drama/romance tripe.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
What else should I get that isn't likely to come to Virtual Console anytime soon?

Excitebike 64 is my answer for everything.

And Majora's Mask.
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more Fallout 3, which I'm really enjoying. The commando perk has given me the boost I need so that I'm not mowed down whenever a raider spots me from half a block away. A shame I'm an Evil Urban Invader and the regulators open fire the moment they spot me, but sometimes people get in my way and sometimes shit needs to be stolen.

Mount & Blade also, of course. I'm in the middle of a nasty rebellion with my former lord and another faction. I have a decent little chunk of the map and had been doing well, but the Vaegirs joining in has screwed me over pretty hard. I'm having to make regular patrols, fending off assaults of 3-4x times my party size. A new update is out that is a little iffy with older saves, so I might just upgrade and start from scratch. I don't really have the time for 30-45 minute sieges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 82 of 85

Jump to: