The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game + Watch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Game + Watch Reply with quote

I've always had a fondness for LCD games.. I remember sketching out plans for arcade conversions as a kid, understanding that critical idea that the different sections of animation couldn't touch.

I found a copy of GBA Game + Watch 4.
It's pretty well done, I like the classic modes, as well as the updates.
Sometimes it's interesting because the clarity of the original is stronger. Other times the gameplay gets bumped up along with the graphics.

At least half these games are akin to today's time management games, be at the right place at the right time. Others make little obstacle courses and the like.

I dunno, what do people think of the whole LCD thing?

Smash Bros introduction of "Mr. Game and Watch" is brilliant. Though it's funny that I guess in some of the games, he's portrayed as stand in for Mario...
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. are amongst my most prized possessions. I've also got Donkey Kong 3 and a non-working Parachute which is non-working because it got stepped on at some time in its life.

I ought to do a Game & Watch style game for the next KOtMK.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. are amongst my most prized possessions. I've also got Donkey Kong 3 and a non-working Parachute which is non-working because it got stepped on at some time in its life.

I ought to do a Game & Watch style game for the next KOtMK.

That would be a cool theme. How hard or easy is it to do in KNP?

Wikipediaing up on G+W I hit Gunpei Yokoi's "Lateral Thinking of Withered Technology" -- that is a lovely idea, that you can do interesting things with middling/low technology. (heh, on the one hand, there's an unseemly frugal for business's sake aspect to it, on the other hand, it's that lovely idea of "hacking" and pushing technology in places its original designers might not have thought of.)
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a lovely retrospective.

it's really interesting how the static cells shaped the design of the games. my favorite of nintendo's games & watch is probably bombsweeper, both for how it uses the cells as elements for a huge variety of scenes rather than just one and for how the game uses one screen to frame the story and the other for the game. the top screen's aboveground and the bottom's underground! everything clever about design on the ds is going on here.

as far as the remakes go, game & watch gallery 2 is my favorite. the "modern" versions all actually add something to the play of the original game, which isn't always true of the game & watch gallery remakes. (it's also one of the first gameboy color games and an interesting exploration of the possibilities of that platform.)

i made a game in the style of an lcd game once. it was a valuable excersize.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the drawing style of the 'sprites', if that's the correct term. You can also see that style in games like Donkey Kong 3 and certain Punch-Out characters, like King Hippo. I wonder whose style it is. Miyamoto's?

This is ace:
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough I was lucky enough to get bombsweeper at the latest meeting of New England Classic Gamers -- batteries for it cost more than what I paid!

I was impressed to see such a different style of play, but admit the top screen seemed a bit gratuitous, like marketing had decided "we're doing dual screens" and so they added that - the LCD version of FMV.

I'm not sure I'm quite "getting" the King Hippo similarity... maybe I'm thinking too literally though. I do love the expressions of anxiety Mr Game+Watch has through his various poses, and how he always strikes the same pose at the same location (well, obviously)
fish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for years npw ive told myself that one day, ONE DAY, i would start collecting G&Ws.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DS G&W collection is pretty sweet.

I always wanted a copy of the Zelda G&W game due to the nostalga value, but it's always so pricey Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
The DS G&W collection is pretty sweet.

I always wanted a copy of the Zelda G&W game due to the nostalga value, but it's always so pricey Sad

myeah.
im pretty much only interested in the hardware.
fetish.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing my Batman Gaming binge, I played three Batman LCD games!

They are from Tiger, I got a bunch of their games from a Cashies years ago for a low, low price and these were among them.

First there is Batman Returns! It has two (2) game modes. The first has you speeding down the highway in the Batmobile, taking out bikers. It's stupidly easy once you get the timing right, though it gets slightly more complicated in later levels. The second mode has you marching down the streets beating up bad guys while Catwoman appears behind you and spanks yer ass with her whip. And you beat up the penguin.

Then there is Batman: The Animated Series! This one is a little more interesting. Batman marches down the highway, avoiding and fighting enemies. You actually can't die; the aim is to get as many points as possible before the time limit ends on each level. The Joker (who either throws a bomb at you or distracts you by just appearing and laughing), Mr. Freeze (who freezes you) Poison Ivy and The Riddler all appear to slow you down. The best part of the game is seeing their LCD counterparts. They look pretty great! Too bad you can't see them in the pics (which I took with a horrible webcam because I can't find my real camera).

Finally there is The Adventures of Batman & Robin. For some reason Tiger kept trying to make fighting games. This one is actually sort of playable, with high/low punches and kicks, but let's face it, it's not a genre suited for LCD games. It's weird too, you'll fight KILLER CROC or MAN BAT or some other villain for two seconds, then have a proper fight against a ninja. PROTIP: keep kicking the air. So yeah, pretty crap. It does have some great digitised sound effects (the extra battery is worth it!!!) and it also has a BARCODE scanner built-in, but fuck knows what it does. I should probably investigate that sometime. Maybe it unlocks less lame enemies.

In conclusion, if you want a portable Batman game, get the Game Boy one.

Last edited by Cycle on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cossix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I had an LCD Double Dragon game that I played the shit out of when I was a kid. It was probably fucking terrible! I should try to find it sometime.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my Double Dragon LCD game. I can still remember when and where I got it too, you kind of remember things like this.

I've got the Street Fighter one, the Sonic one which has music! It's like a really bad PC speaker but you can turn it off to listen to much better Sonic music played through your computer's speaker instead. Or maybe just the actual music from Sonic the Hedgehog. Oh, and a Ninja Turtles one that wasn't done by Tiger Electronics but had some good gameplay. Until I opened it up and drew extra hazards on the scene in biro. That didn't really work at all but I was so into game modding I wasn't going to wait for fucking Quake.

I also have Shaq Attack, which gave me the required training to look out for real-life Shaq Attacks that just came out of nowhere. Us kids in the nineties really had to look out for that. Wearing Air Jordans helped but I couldn't afford those. I couldn't even afford Reeboks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a few LCD games, the one I most vividly remember was a Tiger Robin Hood game.(unrelated to the Kevin Costner movie) It actually played a tiny bit like that bombsweeper game earlier mentioned, in that there was an ever-changing maze made out of a few basic elements. I also remember a very basic baseball game, and a Mario 3 gamewatch that I always got stuck on. I do like a well-designed game that works within the constraints of the screen, but some of the games based on bigger console games, like the sonic ones, felt oddly awkward to me, sorta like those watered down ports the gameboy used to get.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gamer's quarter forum - with new elves!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally, the old ones were really starting to wear thin.

Tiger made LCD games out of everything, they missed more than they hit but they did have a few good ones.

Let me list the ones I have...

The Batman ones
Captain Planet (yes, the one with the GO PLANET! button)
Mechwarrior (built into an actual Mechwarrior figure)
Street Fighter II
Karnov
Castlevania: Simon's Quest
Metal Gear: Snake's Revenge
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Pit Fighter
Super Off-Road
Altered Beast
Mega Man 2

I've actually been meaning to dump most of them, I'm pretty sure I'll make a profit considering I got them all for like 50 cents each. I'm gonna keep a couple, though...

Last edited by Cycle on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
KinokoFry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own none now but when I was in Japan I had Zelda and Donkey Kong Jr. I never played them apart from the first day or so after buying them. Ah well, they were a great piece of nostalgia for awhile.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were supposed to give the Zelda one to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle, how did you not have bowling, paperboy, or baseball? I spent so many hours playing baseball.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I do have Paperboy! I forgot to mention that one.

I also had Baseball but I sent it away to someone in a package.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
You were supposed to give the Zelda one to me.

Whoops! You're right! I even had that written down.
sleepynobowling

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my old witch of a kindergarten teacher took away my donkey kong II game & watch in class one day and i never got it back. Crying or Very sad

i remember her exact words: "GIVE ME THAT...THAT...NOISE MAKER!"
B coma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had great affection for Donkey Kong game and watch (pictured in the ad). It actually captured the experience pretty well, and the design was pretty interesting. If I recall correctly, you had to do something to remove the chains from the platform that Donkey Kong was standing on, of course while dodging the barrels and such.

Was there a generic "Ninja" game made by Tiger, with shurikens and punching and kicking? I recall it being pretty bad.

When I was really young, I had this Simpsons LCD game for a while. All I can recall is that it may have involved obtaining or using and apple as a weapon somehow, and Nelson was present. The player was Bart, of course. It seemed hard but I was all of six years old, so it was probably just bad?

Way back when I played a neighbor's copy of Sonic 3 on LCD to death - it had some kind of running/jumping element as the main game, and that would switch over to the giant gumball bonus stage, I recall it being somewhat well done!
Six

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma, that just reminded me that my older brother used to have one of these.

I thought it was pretty much the coolest thing in the world.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my best friend the Double Dragon watch one year for his birthday, but lost it in my closet before I could give it to him. I think it turned up a year later.

It was pretty terrible, if I recall correctly! He certainly never wore it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I got my best friend the Double Dragon watch one year for his birthday, but lost it in my closet before I could give it to him. I think it turned up a year later.

It was pretty terrible, if I recall correctly! He certainly never wore it.

Oh yeah, I knew someone in university who had a Zelda Watch which he bought off ebay. It was rad!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: