The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

indy gamemaking: which abilities are feast, which famine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: indy gamemaking: which abilities are feast, which famine? Reply with quote

So I've been thinking about trying to get more attached to the Indy Gamemaking community, maybe at TIGSource.

But I'm wondering, among, say:
people with "great idea"
coders
level designers
art designers
sound and music designers

In general, what's the representation of each? Like which roles represent buyers' markets, which one sellers'?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great ideas are worth nothing. the ability to implement them is worth everything.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
great ideas are worth nothing. the ability to convince other reliable people to get onboard with your idea and explain it well enough that they are willing to create a reasonable facsimile of it is worth everything.

Fixed.

Not everything should be done by one person. In fact, I'd argue that if you're trying to get in with a community, the only good reason would be that your ideas are too big and the only way they'll get done would be to offload some of the work onto others.

I generally agree though! If you aren't good at getting other people onboard you're going to inevitably get stuck limiting your ambition and doing things yourself.

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'd argue that if you're trying to get in with a community, the only good reason would be that your ideas are too big and the only way they'll get done would be to offload some of the work onto others.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa

Constructive feedback comes to mind as a pretty good reason. Of course this goes both ways or it doesn't work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man! Don't be callin' me out! I should've said, "one of the best reasons."

I think the reason I said "only" was in response to the first post, which is looking for certain talents. Talents at an individual level shouldn't neccessarily matter if you're just looking for feedback, right?

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, to clarify and personalize...

my ambition tends to be fairly limited to begin with... influenced by one screen classic games, fascinated by small physics-y mechanics.

But you know. I've seen a lot of small joint projects, Dess' stuff, often Cactus has someone else do the music, so I was trying to get a feel for what the market was.

In 2600 homebrew land, there are, of course, lots of "great ideas", and some people who put together some art (too often just photoshop-y fakes that may or may not take the typical limitations of the 2600 into account), and coders in rather shorter supply... especially when it there was no choice but ASM for coding the stuff.

So I was curious about what was what in the "market" of collaborators.

I'm enough of a pixel doodler and former tuba playing musician to tend to try and do too much myself (I think I need to get my elecronic music mojo going though), but am primarily a coder in my odd little java processing way.

Probably it's level design I'm weakest in right now, which is a pity 'cause it kind of is what gives something like Invader 80%ish of its charm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: