The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gaming: Was it ever that nerdy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Gaming: Was it ever that nerdy? Reply with quote

So, I'm reading the latest issue of The Escapist. The first article is a fairly interesting piece about Korean gaming. At the end, though, is this:
Quote:
Korea's embrace of gaming at all levels proves the pastime isn't inherently geeky; it's not inevitably a reason to feel outcast.

Two articles later, a nice little piece about a horse-racing arcade game by Sega. It ends like this:
Quote:
When most people think of video gamers today, the image quickly coalesces into the nerdy teenager or college student, sitting alone in a darkened room for hours at a time with no interaction with the real world.

I'm sure I've read hundreds of articles that have all said the same thing. I'm really tired of reading about how videogaming is construed as such a nerdy pastime. If this perception exists, it seems to be because people writing about videogame culture are bizarrely compelled to end all of their articles with depictions of this ridiculous stereotype.

You know something? I grew up a nerd in an extremely small town. I was probably the second-least popular kid in my school. Yet, never once did I feel outcast because I liked videogames. Everyone liked videogames. I used to trade games with the "cool" kids. Sometimes kids who weren't even in my grade.

So what gives? Why do I have to read so many articles about how videogames aren't just for nerds?

I don't think I've ever even met someone who thinks that videogames are inherently stupid or evil or anything like that. Is it just because I'm in Canada, and we're all friendlier and more intelligent up here? Has anyone here ever been personally hassled about liking videogames?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it is, I think, is that all the supposed "nerds" writing these articles have finally come out of their respective shells and have finally realized that everyone enjoys videogames in some way, and because of them not having ever been the "cool" kids they're just now picking up on this like it's something new.

Or maybe not, I'm just a nerd so I wouldn't know too much about that sort of thing.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the exact same thing when reading the articles. I really don't know what it is. Maybe there really is a stigma and us nerds were just too wrapped up in Video Games to notice. Two things lead me to believe that this may be the case:

1. About a year ago this really hot girl came over because she was carpooling with my girlfriend to some ESL confrerence thing. She saw all of the video games strewn around my living room and later on commented to my girlfriend that she was surprised that my girlfriend put up with it. "It" in this case being having a boyfriend who spends so much time playing games that he has little left over for his girlfriend. I can't remember how she replied, but it wasn't as mean as I would have hoped.

2. The second event happened a few days ago. A co-worker of mine just finished Kingdom Hearts and was on the lookout for another game to play. We talked about it for a bit and I suggested God of War. His girlfriend (who also works with me) came over and said, "so you're a gamer now, huh?" and he was like, "Well, what else am I going to do with all of my free time." And that was that.

Maybe we are locked in some sort of Otaku dungeon somewhere where we don't realize what the rest of the world thinks of our hobby. But then again, maybe some people are just dicks.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last girlfriend was fascinated that I was so damn into videogames (at least as far as they represent art) until I actually tried showing her one.

Um...

Girls like that I draw.

LETS TOTALLY MAKE THIS INTO A, "HOW DO VIDEOGMAES AAFFECT YOUR SEX LIFE" thread.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be an extension of a generational issue. There's certainly a stigma attached to "gaming", because games were originally seen by most parties involved as a toy, to be grown out of. When us gamers (who didn't grow out of it) grew up, our parents' generation thought we were essentially wasting our time with kids' stuff. Those of our own generation who stopped gaming past childhood for more social pursuits (sports, then parties, then bars and careers) were rewarded by that older generation for inhabiting a familiar lifestyle. So my dad, kind and liberal and anti-macho to the core, still eyes me suspiciously when I unpack my DS on a trip home (but last time I went I had the 'video-games as possible artistic medium' talk with him! It was great!)

Meanwhile though, games have done a lot to appear less toy-like. With the NES, you were a pixelated boy with a sword looking for a kidnapped princess, or a bad dude rescuing the kidnapped president, and it all looked to our parents like an uglier version of the cartoons we were watching on the side. Now there's spoken dialog and cinematic cutscenes and really brutal tackles with slo-mo instant replay, and it's getting harder to say it's all for kids. I'd say the reason sports and FPS and Sims games all sell so well is that they're socially more acceptable than Mario and shmups. They occupy some of the same space as Monday Night Football and bad action movies and Sex in the City/Romance Novels. They're slowly bringing back embarrassed ex-gamers and even drawing in a few of our parents, because they LOOK acceptable.

Where I think it leads is really to the next generation. I think absolute acceptance starts with kids gaming with their parents. Hopefully soon there will even be a sphere of gaming one can grow into, like you can appreciate an art museum at age 23 when at 13 you just wanted to get the hell out of there. But we've certainly got some left in the Otaku dungeon.

PS. I guess the next generation is really starting now and in the next few years? Maybe Nintendo's thinking about this with the 'simplicity' of the revolution? The timing would probably be about right. I hope they aren't too far ahead of the curve.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thesis of that article is that Korea proves that gaming isn't inherently nerdy. After reading it, however, I've become convinced that Koreans are inherently nerdy.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
LETS TOTALLY MAKE THIS INTO A, "HOW DO VIDEOGMAES AAFFECT YOUR SEX LIFE" thread.

i don't need to repeat the story of how my ex insisted mr. driller looked like a dildo, do i?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you go into more detail.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

Is this a Toups cry for sex?

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the whole nerdy martyr thing is tired.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, I think,we achieve a few extra gamer points if we adhere to the nerdy stereotype. That's how things roll nowerdays.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a work situation I get looked at funny when I say that I spent $90 on a copy of a game that is on a system that no one has heard of. Yet, the same people can talk about their $150 pair of sunglasses and totally talk about how cool they are, or the $90 pair of tennis shoes. Then I get questions on things like "Hey I heard Warcraft World is the best game out right now, should I get it." Sometime I am a bastard and say things like: "The graphics look horrible for that game on the Gamecube." Most of the time I just explain that I don't like MMORPGs and that the level treadmill that you can get stuck in is no fun for me. Then I get the ultimate comment that I love to hear: "I thought you liked games. Why don't you have Splinter Cell 3 or [insert newest game that gets advertised on TV here] yet. Man, you don't like games."

Luckily I do work with someone who appreciates games. He is one of the artists behind Happy the Clown in his spare time, as well as an avid player of RPGs. He has vowed not to get any new game system until he finishes everything pre-dreamcast. He claims to have around 320 left to finish. He loves them and I can actually have an intelegent conversation with him about them. Unfortunatly I only run into him once a week or so. He claims to have the title of King of the Nerds. I doubt it, but he does hold way to much info in his head.

So far, being just a gamer as your hobby is not quite a socially accepted thing. At least not in a wide spread manner. But being a gamer and a nerd never means that you have to hide away from people.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

Is this a Toups cry for sex?

-Wes

I'd only be barking up the wrong tree.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
the whole nerdy martyr thing is tired.

What about Nerd Pride?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's to be proud of? endlessly consuming someone else's digital table scraps, and calling it an identity?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say "Gamer Pride" did I?

I totally saw someone at E3 who had a tight pink shirt on with the word "Gaymer" printed across it. I should've gotten a picture.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but most "nerds" aren't revenge of the nerds style scientists or something. they're very patient, obsessive and vengeful consumers of fantasy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
I totally saw someone at E3 who had a tight pink shirt on with the word "Gaymer" printed across it.

holla.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I always ask, and something that fascinates me, is what would these people do if videogames/computers/anime/manga/(insert nerdy thing here) did not exist?

What would the cos-players be doing?
The anime junkies?
The hardcore import collectors who spend thousands on rare games?
The MMORPG addicts? (I've read about these people literally living online, WTF would they be doing otherwise?!)
The computer nerds who hack, crack and phrack?

What if this were 100 years ago, or the 1950s, or simply an alternative reality where such things didn't exist?

I think I would have probably ended up as some boring, and seriously unshaven, quantum physicist, or astronomer, though Acheologist is also a possibility, had I not become hooked on gaming and all that comes with it. As result, I now drink beer, make homemade wine, and live off freelancing, while residing in a small village. God... how things change. I always thought I'd live and work in a city. Like Charly Sheen or Michael Dougless in Wall Street.

I can actually remember the exact moment when I suddenly realised that gaming was not just something to kill time with, but was something I wanted to be involved with on ground level.

Anyway, that's the question I pose to you in this topic. What would (insert specific type of nerd here) be doing if his area of expertise did not exist?
croft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing they'd all just sit around and eat potato chips.
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what they're obsessing with, some of them. Just so long as it's anything.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am almost a total film nerd as it is, so I would just have replaced films for games.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
He claims to have the title of King of the Nerds.

No kidding? I used to work with the King of the Dorks.

Yeah, I know almost no one who plays games anymore except one of my company's customers, who, coincidentally, is the dorkiest nerd (or the nerdiest dork) ever. And my wife, who is cool as hell. But everyone makes some great points.

I think the gamer-as-nerd thing is an extension of the computer-guy-as-nerd thing. Both are pretty heinous, and I'm regularly irritated by people and advertising reinforcing the stereotype. But it's just like any other modern stereotype-- an attempt to pigeonhole whole swaths of society, usually for the purpose of selling something or the other.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for the sake of sanity. i mean, fuck, without stereotypes we'd all be dead.

specialization is hard for others to grasp. there are people out there who have perfectly ordered cookie recipie books or understand vast differences between chroming types for car exhaust systems or XYZ that i can't think of right now. they're all nerds - the key is the use of the modifier "car nerd" or "cookie geek" etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
specialization is hard for others to grasp.

Yeah, for real. Last night I was playing a Genesis game with a friend. Emulated, but we were using two of those beautiful USB Sega Saturn controllers out of Japan. So it's heavenly to play emulated 2D stuff. Anyway, it wasn't the best of games - Cyborg Justice. I like it for some reason. My friend, who is not "nerdly" nor a gamer, started to tell me, "This is hard."

It took me about 4-5 minutes of prodding for descriptions to discover that by "this is hard" he meant the controls were not as responsive or intuitive as he would desire. It was purely isolated to that. He didn't find the enemy patterns to be difficult nor the weapon use. He was only capable of calling the troublesome control "hard", or difficult.

When I said, "Oh, you think the controls are kinda sluggish..." he confirmed with, "Yeah, this game is pretty hard."

It's specialization and comprehension of the mechanics and concept that make you a "nerd", where others who are not "nerds" may be unwilling or unable to embrace and/or deconstruct such things.

I know I've dicussed this with other people in the business of video games. Basically, you are gifted/cursed to see through the surface elements, where others might simply be having a "pure" experience with the game. It's that ability/difference that creates the Nerd Wall between you and them, no matter how mainstream gaming has become and no matter how normally you otherwise conduct yourself.

When I started to explain the control to my friend, I was a geek in that moment and the line was drawn. Then we went out for beers.
Sushi d

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland wrote:

It's specialization and comprehension of the mechanics and concept that make you a "nerd", where others who are not "nerds" may be unwilling or unable to embrace and/or deconstruct such things.

I know I've dicussed this with other people in the business of video games. Basically, you are gifted/cursed to see through the surface elements, where others might simply be having a "pure" experience with the game. It's that ability/difference that creates the Nerd Wall between you and them, no matter how mainstream gaming has become and no matter how normally you otherwise conduct yourself.

to simplify... we're all nerds here....
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put bluntly, yes.

then again, this means nerd = obsessive, skilled or well-versed in something, somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Anyway, that's the question I pose to you in this topic. What would (insert specific type of nerd here) be doing if his area of expertise did not exist?

I'd probably be getting laid.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
I'm regularly irritated by people and advertising reinforcing the stereotype. But it's just like any other modern stereotype-- an attempt to pigeonhole whole swaths of society, usually for the purpose of selling something or the other.

dude, that makes me think we got off lucky. at the least the public perception of "computer/gaming nerd" veers toward skinny, clean and generally well dressed (albeit skinny-tied) young guys rather than obese, greasy smelly folks in black XXL metallica/anime t-shirts.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
the public perception of "computer/gaming nerd" veers toward skinny, clean and generally well dressed (albeit skinny-tied) young guys

i probably shouldn't let this thread go by without pointing out how hard it can be to be taken seriously as a gamer and geek when one is not a man.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would imagine.

on the other hand, your dating pool is an infinitely large pile of dorks. there are ups and downs to everything.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except they're mostly men. Last I checked neither of us are into dudes.
disneyland

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
dude, that makes me think we got off lucky. at the least the public perception of "computer/gaming nerd" veers toward skinny, clean and generally well dressed (albeit skinny-tied) young guys rather than obese, greasy smelly folks in black XXL metallica/anime t-shirts.

If the public watched footage of any E3 event, that perception would be changed. I'm not one to judge by appearance, but there's a sweet irony in this case. Swear to god, there are so many dudes that look and dress like the Comic Book Store Guy from Simpsons. Honestly, dozens and dozens of them. Pretty chubby, long slightly frizzy hair tied back in a ponytail, and usually a little chin growth. Dark clothes. Not too well groomed or well scented. Why the super long hair and ponytail, given the existance of the Comic Book Store Dude? You'd think such a well-defined stereotype would steer them away from that particular style/dress. It made me smile though. The skinny, clean and well dressed are usually the higher-level producers and lead designers. Even the programmers and artists tend to lean towards a punk'ish or Comic Book Store Dude direction. And the upper level execs, while clean and slick, usually aren't skinny. Kool-Aid and the fat of the land have ensured as much.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're really making me feel bad about my weight and my black t-shirts.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
simplicio wrote:
the public perception of "computer/gaming nerd" veers toward skinny, clean and generally well dressed (albeit skinny-tied) young guys

i probably shouldn't let this thread go by without pointing out how hard it can be to be taken seriously as a gamer and geek when one is not a man.

oh, you mean you play the Sims, right? Wink

actually, I'd love to read more on the subject. any recommendations?
mudokononastick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember years ago, when Nintendo was still ascending the ladder of commercial superstardom, they had this ad with two teenage guys playing Legend Of Zelda, and one looked like Anthony Edwards from Revenge Of The Nerds, and I remember thinking to myself "Wow! Even nerds like video games just like cool people!" Rolling Eyes

But of course it was a truer portrait of the diehard gamer, as I discovered firsthand.

But who cares if it's cool or not to be seen twiddling our opposable thumbs on a home console, portable, or clicking away on a PC? It's fun regardless of social caste! Very Happy
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
simplicio wrote:

oh, you mean you play the Sims, right? Wink

actually, I'd love to read more on the subject. any recommendations?

i can't believe i forgot about this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone I knew gamed until Middle School.

*that's* when it seemed to separate the jocks from the geeks.

And it isn't about playing games, its about being "into" games, and it still seems to be a stigma in many circles.

In my highschool, video games were not to be talked about outside of the "nerd table" during lunch. It was very much a private hobby for those involved, although maybe some of that was because it was during the rise of the Great Interweb Gaming Community.

My girlfriend can't stand it when I want to play a video game. I finally figured out that she sees games in a completely different category than other entertainment. Games are something more threatening.

"But I can't talk with you while you are playing a game" she said the other day, as she checked her email and I checked my Nintendogs.

"Then what are we doing now?"

She doesn't want to feel like she is competing with something less-than-worthy... and that's annoying.

I guess many people go through that - whether its sports or poker or hot-rodding a car.

But damn... what valuable time some good people will spend on WoW or FF11 amazes me. Very few individual things in this world are worth more than an hour's investment in a day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: