The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dhex
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.conservapedia.com/Special:Popularpages

giggle giggle snort snort
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/04/25/who-really-gives-a-s.html

while i tend to agree about listening to albums all the way through, people will still make albums because that's how musicians tend to work. get a batch of shit together, hash it out, and voila. album.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/04/25/who-really-gives-a-s.html

while i tend to agree about listening to albums all the way through, people will still make albums because that's how musicians tend to work. get a batch of shit together, hash it out, and voila. album.

dhex, guess I'm going to be paying more attention to your staff blog here now that it's on my "threads I've posted to" list...

Anyway, yeah, I have trouble getting into "whole albums".
Some of its attention span.
Some of it its a view of music; while I've been a musician I'm fundamentally a visual person, and generally have never considered just sitting and listening to music a worthwhile thing; music is a complementary kind of thing for me.
(I've turned into a musical barbarian anyway; lyrics, hooks, and rhythms with distinct contrast of tones, that's really all I'm after)

I still tend to buy whole CDs and not download stuff (unless I rip it from Youtube) in part because of DRM hatred, and otherwise because of finding the odd bit of "filler" that I really like.

But for me, the fundamental unit is the song, albums are just complex molecules that can be ignored.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is all about how you use it, and especially with "the kids these days." i was trying to explain this to my wife, who teaches freshman comp on the university level, that the reason they think wikipedia is an acceptable information source for academic work is not just because they're stupid. it's because it's part of what's always been around, and the barriers to entry are very, very low. it's a lot like music, or even games piracy, in that the work that has gone into it isn't real, so it's not seen as being real in any way, shape or form.

it is a bit disturbing that they don't realize an entry that anyone can edit may have structural difficulties, but there are (some) upsides to this enmeshing as well. someone i know tweaks his student advisement routines based on what he can glean from their facebook entries. me, i'm just happy not to have to deal with any of this shit firsthand - i got sick of explaining why wikipedia is not an acceptable source years ago.

anyway, retailers are slowly adapting to this along the lines of itunes, though it seems drm may prove unpopular enough with a sizeable minority to make that a bump in the road. now that labels are even adopting releases with varied artwork for shuffle play and whatnot - i.e. each song is tagged with a different image to show up on the ipod/itunes/etc screen - there's the view that a dollar or two in profits is better than zero dollars in profits. if people are going to download anyway, may as well make it possible to recoup some of those losses beyond touring.

and yeah, touring is going to continue to be the way people keep their heads above water. some do very well for themselves, despite being very small market. (i count a six figure income as "very well" for an independent musician)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7379554.stm

whoa there fella!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
http://www.conservapedia.com/Special:Popularpages

giggle giggle snort snort

I wonder how much of that is links by liberal blogs to mock the horribly silly article. But then, the evolution article seems even more ripe for mockery, and there are plenty of other popular pages on homosexuality, so probably not much.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i think it's just their thing.

on the other hand it's pretty sad if getting laughed at is the lion's share of your hits.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.reason.com/blog/show/126342.html

the vpc's at it again.

it is a very strange thing; to continually argue against obvious facts for the sake of an ill-defined policy recommendation that is far more complicated than they allow.

japan being the obvious example of place with low licit and illicit gun ownership compared to their suicide rate.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a little blown away at how this whole national gas tax amnesty load of hooey is actually - apparently - taken seriously by some people.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scratchmonkey sent me murakami's "after the quake" - to be honest, i almost stopped reading at the end of the first short story because it was so damn new yorker fictiony. one could nearly hear the single, solitary tear being absorbed by a wispy mustache.

however, i soldiered on and i think it actually ended quite strong. i wish the entire collection of stories had been as solid as the last story, though.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, hey, so... I should probably finish that then. I had the same experience as you but stopped!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last story is worth the price of admission.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the reaction i expected, dhex. actually, most people generally feel the same way. maybe they don't hate the other stories, but the last one is definitely the strongest.

i still say go for Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe.

also dude last night i returned the audio buddy preamp i got on saturday - because it either sucks terribly or was broken because i got virtually no signal whatsoever - and got a second (nicer) akg condenser. which of course needs a euro mic stand threader because apparently mic stands aren't universal! anyway, that's not the cool part - the cool part is that shitty acoustic i have actually sounds pretty fucking nice.

but i fotzed with that for a bit before grabbing a loop, pitching it down and tossing it through one of the amp modelers i have and holy shit instant doom metal.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isfet wrote:
i still say go for Wind-Up Bird Chronicle sputnik sweetheart

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/4878-Zero-Punctuation-Mailbag-Showdown

oh how i'd like to gay marry him. (i'd still be the boy though)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bloody valentine tickets go on sale tomorrow morning. rumor has it mogwai will open.

wish me luck!
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooooooooooooooooooot!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Presidential candidates Steve Kubby, Dr. Mary Ruwart, Senator Mike Gravel, Michael Jingozian, Daniel Imperato and Barry Hess are Demanding Justice!

Make sure at least one candidate on the ballot this November is willing to Bring the terrorists to Justice!

To Sign the pledge, select create new account at left. Create a Free User Name.
Libertarians for Justice Pledge:

On Behalf of the People of the United States of America, the undersigned DEMAND JUSTICE FOR THE VICTIMS of the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001.

For the families who have fought bureaucratic stonewalling;

For the rescue workers who are still dying of mysterious illnesses;

For the researchers and experts who have dedicated their lives to researching the government’s conspiracy theory;

And for the American people whose freedoms were surrendered to the terrorists by our own government.

We, the undersigned, demand a publicly conducted Congressional inquiry, with full subpoena power, into the largest terrorist attack in American history.

The committee shall meet, ask questions, and demand answers until We the People are sure beyond a reasonable doubt that the terrorists have been brought to justice.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I mean, I know this is no worse than McCain/Obama/Hillary endorsing the vaccine/autism movement--in fact, it's probably not as bad, since Truthers are just nuts but autism champions are going to kill children--but man, how disheartening.

I should quit posting in the Reason thread now before I catch idiocy.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For the researchers and experts who have dedicated their lives to researching the government’s conspiracy theory;

that sentence doesn't even begin to make sense.

man that thread is such a clusterfuck of what the hell.

it is interesting, and perhaps worrisome, that "truther" has become a synonym for "crazy." at first glance you'd think it'd be someone who was really interested in the truth. on the other hand, the 9/11 stuff has no real impact beyond social signalling.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tnr.com/story_print.html?id=d8731cf4-e87b-4d88-b7e7-f5059cd0bfbd

worth reading.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.massively.com/2008/05/12/player-vs-everything-putting-raiding-on-your-resume/

i think we're taking the whole "don't be ashamed of your hobbies" thing a bit too far.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, just man.

When you post shit like this, I really want the human race to disappear, stop embarrassing the shit out of itself. At least you aren't linking to Gawker...
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i think we're taking the whole "don't be ashamed of your hobbies" thing a bit too far.

To use the authors own comparison against him; no one puts down their golf achievements on a resume.

Fuck man. I just...

I don't have the words, seriously.

ryan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anecdotal, and limited, but from being around jayme's old roommate while she was raiding, and her friend that was big into wow too, I have a hard time imagining a lot of the guild officers not getting hurt if they spoke to others in person they way they do over teamspeak. "Don't grab the fuckin' pen!" just doesn't translate well.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the author posted what was basically a huge retraction on rock paper shotgun.

yeah, i guess you can build skills in worlds of warcraft. you can learn all sorts of things while doing all sorts of hobbies and whatnot.

none of which necessarily has to do with specifically marketing oneself to employers. or potential investors, for that matter.

as an aside:
what i find interesting about the critical reaction to grand theft auto is twofold -

1) pointing out the character really has no shot at starting a new life (just same old shit in a different day) either highlights a grander message from rockstar (i.e. you can't get away) or is a weakness in the series itself (not yet a sandbox, really).

2) i am continually amused at the whole "you can kill women / women of color and sex workers" as if men - and men of color as well as the colorless - aren't murdered at three times the rate of women. i know everyone has their thing, but when a conservative trots out that women are special and need protection, they're some kind of paternalist, sexist asshole. when the right kind of communist does it, well, that's just plain social justice or whatever.

they're both paternalistic, and for really good, deep down human reasons - women are a resource, and men are a cost.

edit: i ended up having an accidental conversation about this over the weekend with a colleague of my wife's whose sole takeaway about the game has been via leftish/feminist media sources. while i don't particularly have a problem with self-selection - it's how most people, especially those who define themselves as "well-informed" are going to learn about any subject - when it comes to media choices, i may only feel this way because it is far too tiring to actually have discussions with people about disagreements. for the record, i do no think games have any real impact on behavior beyond hand-eye coordination. were the case otherwise you'd have a whole slew of jrpg fans who were interested in - or even obsessed with - incremental personal development, instead of a gang of milquetoast wispy mustache types who turned my soul cancer gag into a neverending reality nightmare that i cannot escape. jokes aside, there'd at least be some measurable cultural responses beyond ha ha gags and lots of income burned up on nintendo remakes.

anyway, beyond that - and i think it ties into the whole WOW on your resume thing above, there is a cultural current (and tgq is at least a part of it) that has taken the "we love games and are not ashamed" thing over the cliff into retardo land, a kind of reverse jack thompson where games become a tool of social engineering and fluffy bunnies whose fluffiness is just so bunnifying.

i love music beyond reason. i love books to fucking death too. but they are not prime movers when it comes to social behavior. yet they were all treated as such, and still are in some cases, for any kind of larger social ill - be it rape, violence in general, violence from particular social quarters (i.e. rap trains men to rape or shoot each other or whatever), "female novels" creating uppity women or the dread currents of jazz music and the miscegenation it engenders.

or maybe i'm just emotionally sore because my wife explained that whole harry potter fandom which wizard house are you from and oh here's a matching scarf thing this weekend (i'd seen it in the stories about the recent lawsuit) and i'm still spitting up blood.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what it is, mike, but you've been getting a lot better lately.

And, well, this is why I've become bummed on the whole enterprise of games journalism, just one retarded virtual gangbang. Shit, it's stuff like this that makes a universal draft and some kind of perpetual war seem like a good idea, get these people doing something productive with their lives (hell, put me on the list too, I could use some fresh air).

Sadly, that's not going to happen.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
I don't know what it is, mike, but you've been getting a lot better lately.

And, well, this is why I've become bummed on the whole enterprise of games journalism, just one retarded virtual gangbang. Shit, it's stuff like this that makes a universal draft and some kind of perpetual war seem like a good idea, get these people doing something productive with their lives (hell, put me on the list too, I could use some fresh air).

Sadly, that's not going to happen.

Yeesh, you sound like the war nerd.

I find this kind of bravado about war to be either existentially depressing or the worst possible kind of sophomoric myopia.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, you must get depressed pretty easy. They've got drugs for that, dude.

Guess I should've wished all those wonderful blogger guys an awesome time with plenty of other awesome dudes and dudettes. Maybe the Murakami route would've been best. All right, now then, perhaps we could draft all those bloggers into a perpetual New Yorker short story instead. Have them muddle around some New Hampshire shoreline, wondering about how all those damn pretty rocks symbolize the desiccated inner states of their neurotic marriages, perhaps we could throw in a few of those Raymond Chandler metaphors for an extra bit of punch. Man, am I on a roll, someone's MFA professor is going to be happy.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
or maybe i'm just emotionally sore because my wife explained that whole harry potter fandom which wizard house are you from and oh here's a matching scarf thing this weekend (i'd seen it in the stories about the recent lawsuit) and i'm still spitting up blood.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Compass_(film)]In a parallel universe in which a person's soul resides outside the body in the form of an animal called a "dæmon"][/url]

This would be even better for a merchandising and fandom trainwreck.

The could market "personal demons" to kids.

Fluffy bunny demons, floppy ferret demons, etc.

Maybe they wold be electronic and could even respond to each other.
With a cellphone interface they could even locate each other for "demon mobs"/etc.

Maybe a website with a questionnaire that helps you match up with the most compatible demon from their product line.

Kids could have "demon parties" where they bring their demons over to "interact" with one another.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought the golden compass was too jesus-y for hipster abandonment?

i do try to speak from the best kind of ignorance possible - awesome ignorance.

Quote:
All right, now then, perhaps we could draft all those bloggers into a perpetual New Yorker short story instead.

you presume they don't already live there!

so many strangled conversations dead in the crib.

ps i've always been this awesome.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in happier news, i do look forward to far cry 2 and clear sky with a hope that the open-ended fps will become bigger than life and twice as angry.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i thought the golden compass was too jesus-y for hipster abandonment?
^
I
I

Bad things rub off.

Like that thing where a statement is posed as a question.

I see it as a composite of statement and question. The "?" is employed as a hieroglyph meaning "don't you agree".
Or something like that.

According to the wiki they toned down the religious stuff for the film.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's more like "i have no idea what's going on because when i was a kid i read books about world war 2 more or less exclusively."
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
in happier news, i do look forward to far cry 2 and clear sky with a hope that the open-ended fps will become bigger than life and twice as angry.

I'm kind of in the same boat, but I'm hoping that the FPS turns into more an FPGame where more things happen than just shooting people.

Not that I don't like shooting people, because I do. It's just that that's going to hit a wall sooner or later. This is why I look forward to that game... Mirror's Edge I think? Yeah.

EDIT: And then, and then, OHH! yeah, we'll get VR helmets or BRAIN fucking IMPLANTS next!

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirror's edge looks good too.

but what i don't get - and this should probably be a tgq piece if i were able to make it so - is the whole "it's just a shooter" thing. shmups are just shooters. racing games are just racing. puzzle games are just a bunch of puzzles. adventure games are for people who can't afford valium. etc.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're referring to my post as being a comment saying "it's just a shooter," well I would like to expand on it a bit because that's not what I meant. All I mean is that I would like to see the FPS playstyle explored outside of shooting also. I'm not attempting to discredit what is/will/has been made in the slightest.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i was thinking of it in the context in which it has often come up.

a lot of fps games are far more flexible now. many have moved beyond the core mission somewhat (a la stalker) but the central complaint, i think, is more against bad fps design. i do like the fps+ genre quite a bit - it may be the best thing ever - but i don't think most genres get the "it's just a [blank]" treatment nearly as much. why? i don't know.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see FPS games with less, but much smarter enemies, to give a greater sense of being threatened by individuals with actual training and possibly personalities.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's one of the things about stalker's mutants that really worked out well. not seeing them that much at the beginning helped reinforce just how fucking crazy the place was.

unrelated:
http://www.creators.com/opinion/lenore-skenazy/cell-phone-holdouts-are-right-buy-a-phone-become-a-baby.html

i kinda wanna marry her, despite her being a columnist for the sun...and my being married...and her having a kid and being married...and uh stuff.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Jeez, you must get depressed pretty easy. They've got drugs for that, dude.

Guess I should've wished all those wonderful blogger guys an awesome time with plenty of other awesome dudes and dudettes. Maybe the Murakami route would've been best. All right, now then, perhaps we could draft all those bloggers into a perpetual New Yorker short story instead.

Err, there is a middle ground between wishing for war, and wishing dumb people would shut up.

So I probably took the wish for war too literally, which means I'm less in the depressed camp and more assuming sophomoric myopia.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is dhex land so all insults have be phrased in the form of hilarity, guys. (i prolly shoulda said that sooner)

a crazypants story from my imaginary girlfriend's blog, http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/:

Quote:

Cathy, on April 9th, 2008 at 7:31 pm Said:

I want desperately to let my kids try things on their own. My son at age 10-12 used to go to the community boathouse in Boston on his own. This entailed riding a train (full of “scary” white-collar workers on their way to their jobs) and then the subway (full of “scary” workers and parents and nannies on their way to all kinds of jobs and shopping). People said I was crazy, but I didn’t see why. He was almost as big as me, and I did it every day. And he’s a smart kid.

Unfortunately, I got ratted on one day when I let my 7-year-old walk three blocks to the grocery store. The DSS has unchecked power in this state. If they decide you’re being a bad mom, they can take your kids–no judge, no warrant, nothing. I talked my way out of trouble–I was put on warning–but it’s still on my record in the DSS files, six years later, as I recently found out.

So I’m much more careful now. We parents live in a police state. We have no choice but to keep our kids prisoner.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I'd like to see FPS games with less, but much smarter enemies, to give a greater sense of being threatened by individuals with actual training and possibly personalities.

Ok, I know i'm at risk of turning into that BUT GUYS REAL WAR IS LIKE *REALLY BAD* guy here, but I think there can be a tension between the "game"ness of an FPS and looking for that kind of realism. I'm thinking in real combat, you get killed, and you don't see it coming.

I guess weapons can be nerfed enough so that even a moderately bad player can survive for a bit and observe the tactics of the enemy, but still it can very hard to tell if a computer player just has better weapons or is getting smarter than you in terms of the game.

It would be nice if AI were less primitive, especially in a GTA IV type game. (Though would someone have to worry about killing a character who had "real" AI?)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cod2 on the harder difficulties nailed this particular aspect of "war is fucking awful" quite well, for what it's worth, particularly in stalingrad.

it probably helps that i suck at games as a general rule so i experience that in a lot of titles.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stuff happens when you're swamped by them too. Hell, that stuff happened a lot in Operation: Flashpoint, and that game was fucking awesome.

I don't see how having generally featureless respawning automatons is preferable to individuals with a sense of self-preservation, really. I'd like to see more of the latter, but I wouldn't necessarily want them in a context that's just pure warfare.

Say you're in an urban setting, and you're being tailed, but you don't know by whom. All you know is there's one, two, three of them. And you have to figure out who they are and how to best lose them or defeat them discreetly. Stuff like that.

I mean, Die Hard was a pretty cool film, you know?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
cod2 on the harder difficulties nailed this particular aspect of "war is fucking awful" quite well, for what it's worth, particularly in stalingrad.

it probably helps that i suck at games as a general rule so i experience that in a lot of titles.

Yeah, I know I don't like military games that even nod at realism.
I grew up on Wolfenstein + DOOM; zip around, circle strafe, take hits, MOVE MOVE MOVE. It took me a bit of a while to even warm up to Gears of War's ideas that sometimes it's good to be behind something when people are shooting at you, and even that acceptance is probably dependent on the Halo-derived recharging shield and freeze-tag style get back in there.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I don't see how having generally featureless respawning automatons is preferable to individuals with a sense of self-preservation, really. I'd like to see more of the latter, but I wouldn't necessarily want them in a context that's just pure warfare.

Yeah, a long while ago, like N64 era, I wrote down how it would be cooler if they would randomize visual parameters for your enemies, get away from the feeling of an endless army of clones. With the polygon counts of the time it would probably have been a bit heavy handed but still.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the realistic-ish squad warfare games get something like that, or you kind of get it in MMORPG, but for me picking fights with pedestrians in Grand Theft Auto IV is the best achievement along the lines of what you just described and I was thinking of.
Quote:
Say you're in an urban setting, and you're being tailed, but you don't know by whom. All you know is there's one, two, three of them. And you have to figure out who they are and how to best lose them or defeat them discreetly. Stuff like that.

I mean, Die Hard was a pretty cool film, you know?

Again it's tough to pull off, and brings up the classic tension between narrative and open world. I'm not sure if you can get that creepy "someone is watching you...." feeling on a screen that's right in front of the player.

Hmm, you know, a subtle narration or inner monologue might help. "someone's watching me. shit, two guys. i think." -- something whispered and more subtle than GTA IV's "*honk* lose the guys following you" onscreen junk.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
well, i was thinking of it in the context in which it has often come up.

a lot of fps games are far more flexible now. many have moved beyond the core mission somewhat (a la stalker) but the central complaint, i think, is more against bad fps design. i do like the fps+ genre quite a bit - it may be the best thing ever - but i don't think most genres get the "it's just a [blank]" treatment nearly as much. why? i don't know.

I think it's a combination of subject matter and target audience. Also perhaps that (and I have a feeling that Sergei would agree with me here) we've gradually taught most people who talk about 'genre' to be afraid of guns. The combination of all three seems to create a situation where FPSs are "killographic dumbed-down war-mongering simulators" played by "date-rapist fratboy sociopathic pro-war meatheads" (AKA the guys who shoved the whispy mustache brigade into lockers).

Also because the PC gaming industry is increasingly marginalized. While Wolfenstein and Doom might have gotten the anti-violence brigade up in arms, they definitely didn't have the "dumb game/r" association that you get with most modern FPSs.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the minimal hud/no hud thing is worth exploring. far cry 2 might start a trend, depending on how well they pull it off.

Quote:

that's a neat setup for something that demonstrates the immersion and helplessness angles that seem so easily magnified with the first person perspective. actually relying on players to have to make value judgements and assessments that seem more coherent, even "realistic."

the wall shaper spoke of earlier - i do not think it will be made out of bullets, but rather a lack of true peripheral vision. there's only so far the illusion can take you, even in widescreen.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess all I'm saying is that I'd like to see other genres (other than shooters) in first person. Condemned kind of does this but in a haphazard sort of way. Elder Scrolls probably use this the most.

Also... theif 3 in first person.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 33 of 48

Jump to: