The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's this? A Doctor Who thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplechair

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I high fived you, you Catherine Tate loving dick!
aderack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she is supposed to be sort of grating.

If you ever see Catherine Tate outside a performance environment, she's actually rather meek. Quiet, timid, keeps to the shadows. A little wry. Which kind of makes sense of her personas, I think. That's where she gets to be... not-shy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't surprise me.

purplechair wrote:
Anyway. Basically, in everything she does, I just always get this weird "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" feeling from her.

Maybe that's because you do know who she is?

From a neutral ("didn't know who she was") perspective, I saw the ego and self-absorption on display in Runaway Bride as being the character's, as it was intended, and it certainly made sense for the character and the story and all that. And she delivered it well!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get what you get from Catherine Tate at all! I like her. Her show does rely on catchphrases a bit too heavily, but I think that's do more to do with pressure from the show's producers than any decision she's made. This is the impression of the comedy industry I get from watching Extras, anyway.

ALSO, I didn't know you were from England. Where abouts?
purplechair

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, me?

I'm currently living in London. I think you do too, although I can't remember how I know (/think) this. But I'm froooom Norfummerland.

Also: I thought, in The Runaway Bride, she seemed to be playing pretty much the same kind of noisy, self-righteous character as all of her sketch show characters. And I think to myself "Am I supposed to be enjoying this?" And then, offended, she looks out of my TV, and into my mind, and shouts "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!"

Donna seemed a bit more relaxed in that new episode, but it still just seemed to have this presumption that I'd care about her... that I'd want her to find the Doctor and have exciting adventures in my TV for the next three months. In the same way that her comedy show seems to presume that I'll find the catchphrases funny, without taking the time to emotionally involve me. Or something.
purplechair

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, I think all of this new run of Doctor Who has just bounced around all over the place without much emotional consistency. I never really watched the old series, but it seems that they've wanted to establish one of the Doctor's personality traits to be that he flip-flops between carefree whimsy and angsty melodrama whenever another character speaks. Well, there's a big difference between writers, but in general.

It doesn't really ruin my enjoyment of the show, because I know it's basically for kids anyway, and they only have a certain length of time in which to get everything across. But even next to the Doctor's hyperactive mood swings, I just haven't formed any kind of attachment to Donna at all.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
I mean, I think all of this new run of Doctor Who has just bounced around all over the place without much emotional consistency. I never really watched the old series, but it seems that they've wanted to establish one of the Doctor's personality traits to be that he flip-flops between carefree whimsy and angsty melodrama whenever another character speaks. Well, there's a big difference between writers, but in general.

It doesn't really ruin my enjoyment of the show, because I know it's basically for kids anyway, and they only have a certain length of time in which to get everything across. But even next to the Doctor's hyperactive mood swings, I just haven't formed any kind of attachment to Donna at all.

I thought it was for families! Also, if you don't like either the Doctor or Donna, maybe you should watch somthing else!
purplechair

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is, in order to work as a family show, they have to make it fun and exciting enough for kids to still pay attention, which is probably where most of the stuff I find really irritating comes from.

HAVING SAID THAT, the first series of Torchwood was just as irritating and awful in totally different, adult-orientated ways, so maybe it's just that Russel T. Davies is awful?. (I didn't watch the second series)

Also: I've been watching Doctor Who religiously ever since the new run started, and I don't intend to stop now.
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davies doesn't have much to do with Torchwood.

By the way, has any of you met Erato?

Go 7:20 in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Gob2R_qRw
And 7:40 or so here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UelBltxtNaA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
These are interesting.

One thing I get from this is how much, at the BBC, programming and scheduling are political/bureaucratic decisions -- not business decisions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Watch new Doctor Who on your Wii

As from today, the BBC iPlayer will be compatible with the Wii Internet Channel, so Wii owners can now watch the latest series of Doctor Who (for example) on Wii whenever they want.

Advertisement:
Users will need to direct their Wii browser to bbc.co.uk/iplayer and simply select Doctor Who - or whatever else is available - which you'll currently find at number two in the most popular chart for some bizarre reason.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westacular wrote:
One thing I get from this is how much, at the BBC, programming and scheduling are political/bureaucratic decisions -- not business decisions.

The BBC isn't so much a business as a kind of magical wishing pool that we all throw money into in the hopes it will show us something good.
Westacular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the CBC is like that in Canada, too, so it's not entirely a foreign notion to me. It just seems like those issues at the BBC might be at a bigger scale (or at least a higher level of public relevance).

With CBC, it might be more accurately restated "... in the hopes it will show us something Canadians will actually watch."
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can tell you about the BBC is that they're such a huge and unwieldy company it takes for fucking ever for them to process cheques and invoices! Also, it stands for Big British Castle.
aderack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard this.

Looks like we're getting Victorian Cybermen this year:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
I have heard this.

Looks like we're getting Victorian Cybermen this year:

Apparently featuring pseudo-Cybermen with bronze heads and cloaks called Cyber Wraiths.

And it looks like the/one of the arc word(s) this season is "ATMOS". Pretty interesting, considering the bees as well.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a month back I saw a bee walking around, weak and unable to fly. It was horrible. They're all dying!
baron patsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This frightened me.

Who fan-person wrote:
I am SOOOOOO glad that the reports of Cybies in this year's Christmas Story are TRUE!!! Yippeee!!!! I love the Cybermen (yes, even more so than the Daleks!). I do wonder what the Cybus Cybies means in relation to the rest of the series - is the Doc stuck in "alt World" after Ser4 - perhaps all the specials are in the Alt Universe? Or as mentioned aboved, does the return of Rosykins mean that the Void was breached and all those trapped Cybus Cybies and Daleks are loose in the Universe(s) now? Wow...I wonder if the Daleks would invade the alt-Universe (does it have Daleks? If so, are they different as well?).
Intriguing stuff - but the Victorian setting totally made me think Cybies weren't happening - so pleased that they are! Sounds excellent - esp the CyberWraiths! New figures!!! Hooray!!!
Now if they'd just reveal K9 is in Ser4 (for at least a cameo since everyone else is!) and will be in SJA more, then I'd be totally Who-Happy!!!! Smile
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fans have such stupid theories! Like they'd set all the episodes after a certain point in an alternate universe without telling anyone. Like hasn't one of Russell T Davies' biggest contributions to Dr. Who been to keep it uncomplicated and free from being bogged down by this sort of nonsense?

:(
baron patsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Fans have such stupid theories! Like they'd set all the episodes after a certain point in an alternate universe without telling anyone. Like hasn't one of Russell T Davies' biggest contributions to Dr. Who been to keep it uncomplicated and free from being bogged down by this sort of nonsense?

Sad

What? That guy is pretty crazy, but he was saying episodes after Series Four. Smile
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best not mention the current "Who or what is Wilf really?!" fixation amongst fandom.

Anyone who missed it, and this is kind of neat that they're doing this, BBC America is offering the R2 DVD commentary to "Last of the Time Lords" for download. Go do so! It's one of the best commentaries yet! Tennant, Agyeman, and Barrowman screaming their heads off. It's great. It got chopped from the R1 DVDs because they keep breaking into song, and you know how IP laws go these days.

This chick, Dervla Kirwan -- -- is apparently the companion for at least the Christmas special. And "not just a normal companion," whatever that means. A regenerated Jenny, maybe? Hm.

Yeah, to build on what Patsy was saying, the production team stalker dude who learns most of the stuff that leaks out had this report:

Quote:
Right, lets have a full report.

I arrived at the cemetary around 1pm today and was confronted with an awesome sight, Cybermen! 8 New series style Cybermen were walking marching through the graveyard covered in snow and mist. They look identical to how they did in Rise of the Cybermen and Doomsday. The Cybus logo is present and correct. Right from the moment I got there, the security said that no photographs were to be taken at all and they spent most of their day telling people off for doing it. I respected this and thus the only photos I took today were of a Cybermen posing for a photograph and some Victorian people dashing about (no more than what was seen and photographed yesterday).

As for the scenes being filmed:

1. The Cybermen march through the graveyard. Victorian people run away scared and a number of them get deleted in the usual neck grasp style.
2. Now this is the unusual bit - 3 actors, dressed in feathery cloaks (like Ringwraiths) are wearing Cybermen heads. But not just any heads. Bronze or rusty heads. With a different handle-bar design. The handle bars are more of a diamond shape around the head. It's difficult to explain the design without photos. They also have bronze coloured hands. These three creatures run around the graveyard, staying close to the floor killing people. The Cybermen who are marching through, take no notice of them. Are they working together??
3. One of these creatures - who I swear one of the crew called "Cyber Wraiths" (but don't hold me to that) - jumps off a trampoline onto one of the Victorians and kills him.

There was no dialogue to be heard, today was action filming all the way. Hope this report makes up for the lack of photos - I assume we will be getting a BBC photo release very soon.

And yeah, these are full-on Cybusmen, with the logo and everything. Curious; I'd have thought the designers would have replaced the chestplate at least, by now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baron patsy wrote:
And it looks like the/one of the arc word(s) this season is "ATMOS". Pretty interesting, considering the bees as well.

There's a sticker saying that as a sort of logo in the corner of the windshield of the taxi in Partners in Crime.
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven Moffat wrote:
Anyone who's interested in writing should study that script - it's one of the most technically brilliant scripts you'll ever get your hands on. The construction of it is dazzling, and yet - and this is the REALLY dazzling part - it's designed to feel light and airy and simple. And for that dim-witted reason, people think it IS simple. It's not, it's incredible. Look, what's folded away in all that gorgeous froth. A new main character, whole and complete - an old friend within minutes. Her entire background and family, all there for us, perfectly clear. And while all thats going on, AT THE SAME TIME, a hospital gets stolen and taken to the (bloody) moon. All this in under ten minutes! And never mind all that, the entire format of the entire show is explained and sold to a brand new audience. Stunning. But - and this what makes your blood boil - because it's made to LOOK easy, idiots and critics think it IS easy. Try it! Go on, get yer pen, TRY it.

Thing is, I get a lot of praise for the complexity of Blink, and quite bloody right too. But because I know what I'm talking about, I can tell you as a matter of FACT, that Smith And Jones is WAY more complex. But because Blink wears its complexity on its sleeve, cos that was kind of the point, Smith And Jones conceals it, cos it's a means to an end.

Really and truly, Smith And Jones, go study. And if you don't think it's brilliant, shut up until you understand that it is.

Steven Moffat

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Where did Stephen Moffat write that?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric-Jon, Daph is doing impressions of you, time to get in the impression thread and excercise that ascerbic wit
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Wow. Where did Stephen Moffat write that?

On Daphny's butt, from what I understand.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in 72-POINT TYPE AMIRITE
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I'll have to check my sources.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric-Jon, you suck at making snaps
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a velcro kind of guy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, blow me.

Tonight's episode was actually pretty good.
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be seeing it soon!

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed it! Catherine Tate is so much more likeable than those stage-schooly blandroids in the previous couple of series.
baron patsy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, hey -- another "Shadow Proclamation" mention! That makes two episodes in a row.

I liked it! Seemed to ring a bit more of older Who than some of the more recent episodes.

Alright, so. List of things that seem to be themes this season:

-Bees disappearing?
-Planets being "taken" (Adipose nursery planet, the Pyrovillia (spelling?) planet)
-The Shadow Proclamation
-ATMOS

It'll be interesting to see how these things come together, if they do.
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels like a Hartnell episode, almost.

So the historical events that are "set" are ones that in some way involve the Doctor's personal timeline, I gather? He can't do a thing to change the events in Pompeii because he was responsible for them having occurred in the first place. Not that he knew it at the time.

Well, that plus its significance on his timeline. If Pompeii had turned out differently, it would have been a huge paradox for him and his ability to even be in his current situation. Not so much with events that have little direct impact on the Doctor himself and his understanding of history.

So much stuff in here, it's hard to sort out. Another planet destroyed: adipose and pyrovile planets. Rose reference, presumably. Or Jenny. "There's something on your back." More about Egypt, after Donna commented on her trip last week. As you say, more Shadow Proclamation. Lots of stuff about Gallifrey burning and the kinds of choices he had to make. Big parallel to Parting of the Ways and the Time War. Big whoa to the Doctor's despair over saving even that family, with Donna doing a total Barbara on his ass. (Again, Hartnell.)

Hartnell's Doctor started off as a right old bastard. At one point Barbara shouted at him: "Accuse us! You ought to go down on your knees and thank us! Gratitude's the last thing you'll ever have... or any sort of common sense either!" Very eventually, she and Ian managed to make a hero out of him. Almost, sort of. Then Steven took up the baton of growing indignation, eventually walking out on the Doctor in fury and disgust.

Oh, and the business with Latin sounding like Welsh... played well, and just far enough! And answers some very long-standing questions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Changing history / the responsibility of time travel
-Planets being "taken" (Adipose nursery planet, the Pyrovillia (spelling?) planet)
-The Shadow Proclamation
-ATMOS
-The Rose business
-Bees disappearing?
-"There's something on your back"
-Egypt?

I get the feeling the last three are related somehow.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
So the historical events that are "set" are ones that in some way involve the Doctor's personal timeline, I gather? He can't do a thing to change the events in Pompeii because he was responsible for them having occurred in the first place. Not that he knew it at the time.

That's one way to read it, but I think other things can be "fixed" independent of his direct involvement.

My view: From a writing perspective: a "fixed" event is one people commonly know about. Stuff that makes the history books.

From the Doctor's perspective, well, it's probably largely the same thing -- stuff he "knows" happens needs to happen. Other stuff is in flux. This episode adds that bit about "seeing" the universe in certain way but for all practical purposes let's assume the latter is true. (Arguably: the history that the Doctor knows -- e.g. the stuff in Gallifreyan History of the Universe textbooks -- is precisely composed of those "fixed" events, give or take.) He has a certain sense, perhaps a form of intuition, that directs what can't be changed but from what we can see here with the ending he clearly tries to err on the side of caution. Change means side effects, and matters of life and death are apparently the most important sort of possible change.

Stuff like Pompeii's fall -- before the events of this episode -- counts as fixed because it matters in some important way. The Doctor being in the middle of it just makes it... more fixed? The episode implies that without the Pyroviles' meddling, the volcano still would have erupted, and probably on that same day; the event itself was fixed but the cause of it was not. That's where the Doctor fits in. This all goes back to the Doctor (thanks in part to the idiosyncrasies of the TARDIS) essentially being force for separating the fixed from the flux -- making sure what is supposed to happen does, in the face of those "flux" alien influences that would change things.

aderack wrote:
Another planet destroyed: adipose and pyrovile planets.

Lost, not necessarily destroyed. Some imperialism at work in the galaxy -- no doubt related to the Shadow Proclamation, and likely relevant to the Sontaran Stratagem.
Westacular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next Week: Ood: Your Freaky Friend Who's Fun To Be With.
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westacular wrote:
From the Doctor's perspective, well, it's probably largely the same thing -- stuff he "knows" happens needs to happen. Other stuff is in flux.

Yes, that's more or less what I was trying to get out, before I distracted myself along the way. The things that the Doctor knows for a fact are in effect part of his timeline (in that they're part of his fundamental understanding of events), whether or not he was personally involved. Yet as you say, his literally being there, being involved, just makes it all the more dangerously concrete.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an exceptionally good episode! And yeah, it does kind of feel like a Hartnell. I think maybe the writers knew that, when they worked in that low-key reference to "The Romans"?

Also, Catherine Tate/Donna Noble is for the first time made distinct and valuable as a companion and a character for me in this.
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. Victorian Cybermen at Christmas. Someone is claiming that the first of next year's specials deals with Winston Churchill and the Daleks. I can believe it, especially for a special episode. What you wanna bet one of the other two specials deals with the Master?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is they want you to assume "Doctor, she is returning." refers to Rose, but it's actually referring to something else.
baron patsy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to steer the topic back to cryptic references and such, but I just realized that Venus was mentioned in both recent episodes as well. Interesting, though it might not lead to anything. If it does, though, maybe Venus is another planet that gets "taken"?

Edit: Also, did anyone else catch the reference to "The Romans"?
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, didn't hit on that. Worth adding to the list!

Then there's the Medusa Cascade, which was referenced... recently. Someplace in series three. Then the daughter projected on about the Cascade of Medusa.

Last of the Time Lords. One of those many throwaway Time Wary references from the last few years: names, places. The Doctor sealed a rift there. Which impressed the Master, apparently.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_KTJWhtuRLac/SAIrlATKalI/AAAAAAAACFs/_wL3YBRZGN0/s1600-h/cyberwraith.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTD, in Doctor Who Magazine Issue 394, via wikipedia wrote:
Four takes a somewhat different approach to the previous series. There are no big binding words like 'Bad Wolf', 'Torchwood', or 'Mr Saxon'. This time, it's cumulative: an element from every episode — whether it's a person, a phrase, a question, a planet, or a mystery — builds up to the grand finale. Russell T Davies says: "You've got to watch and listen closely. It's been seeded for a long time, with small but vital references going all the way back to series one. And remember the Master, in "Last of the Time Lords", mentioning the Medusa Cascade? Oh, that's going to come back to haunt us..."

The Master's mention of the Medusa Cascade (and the Doctor being the only one who could seal a rift in time there, or something) seemed to indicate it was an early triumph of the Doctor's, and a defining moment for him among the Time Lords.

This latest reference furthers that:

Evelina wrote:
Even the word "doctor" is false. Your real name is hidden. It burns in the stars, in the Cascade of Medusa herself. You are a Lord, sir: a Lord of Time.

Note also Medusa is mentioned in the same episode that features people who can see the future slowly turning to stone.

It should also be noted that "the Shadow Proclamation" has references dating all the way back to Rose. Basically any time the Doctor calls out a hidden alien, he references this or that rule under the Shadow Proclamation, which now seems to be both the core of intergalactic law and an organization that enforces it.
Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor also mentions that Donna is from Barcelona when trying to explain her weird actions, which he mentioned at the end of series 1 as the place he wanted to take Rose. It's obviously stretching, but who knows.

Also, I think his invocation of the Shadow Proclamation in this recent episode rhymed.

There was mention of a deleted scene wherein the Doctor put the Sonic Screwdriver into that doodad he was carrying around in Partners in Crime and sent a message to the Shadow Proclamation.

Aderack and I also were talking earlier about how the ending of the episode could essentially be changed history, and it might come back. Also, Egypt was mentioned again heavily in the ending.

I wonder if Donna saw something (the House Gods?) in her visit to Egypt? Maybe this spurned her searching for the Doctor?
digi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we'll have a return of some higher authority capturing and punishing the Doctor again? The Time Lords are obviously gone, but this Shadow Proclamation could have something to do with it. The Doctor's saving of the Pompeii family was definitely bending the rules, if not breaking them.

If would be interesting if this Medusa Cascade business was at least a partial crossover to Sarah Jane, and her confrontation with Medusa-like aliens, as well. She's coming back as a companion for a short while, isn't she?
purplechair

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashura wrote:
The Doctor also mentions that Donna is from Barcelona when trying to explain her weird actions, which he mentioned at the end of series 1 as the place he wanted to take Rose. It's obviously stretching, but who knows.

I'm pretty sure this is just a Fawlty Towers reference.
aderack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun thing is, it works both as that and as a sorta-reference to The Planet Barcelona.

Someone has just developed a theory that every episode this year will have a Mary Poppins reference. (Flying nanny! Earthquake positions!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, obviously stretching, but it's good to note.

Also, yeah, I read the Mary Poppins one, it made me laugh.

There's also the joke theory about the moon.

Quote:

I've only started following spoilers this year, and so missed out on the first three seasons ... but I've heard that the Moon has been bandied about before as a theme for past seasons. Can someone fill me in? I feel lost on that one.

Quote:

Our suspicions that the moon was up to no good were first pricked when the symbol of the hospital in New Earth was a green half moon, then in the very next episode featured a Warewolf, the Moons henchmen. In School Reunion, the Moon can clearly be seen hanging around at night in the sky, fraternizing with the Krillitane. Here the track goes cold. The Moon lies low, probably committing crimes like Blackmail, or bigamy. They say that criminals always return to the scene of the crime, and so the Moon creeps back into the shooting star scene in Age of Steel, returning to its usual place in the sky, surrounded by its accomplices. Whats it doing there? That's what we need to find out. By The Satan Pit the Moon case was put aside for Torchwood. What its been doing in the meantime, who knows, but what was in the sky, next to the Webstar when we first heard the name Saxon? That's right, Big Pale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 13 of 19

Jump to: