The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSP Stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: PSP Stuff Reply with quote

So, I played a PSP for the first time recently; It was running a PS emulator with KOF99 on it.

It felt pretty comfortable and it doesnt' feel nearly as lame as I imagined. So, is the PSP worth buying and what are the games that have proven to be most worthwhile.

War of the Lions looks pretty good, as well as Rondo of Blood. There are two Capcom collections, as well as a Genesis one, which makes this seem like a pretty good device for catching up on the classics while travelling, something that seems very appealing.

So any tips, folks?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy the Gradius Collection, as well as Wipeout Pulse (or Pure - I think that's the original's name), Bomberman with its normal and classic modes, and Jeanne d'Arc is good, especially if you're interested in War of the Lions.
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: PSP Stuff Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
So any tips, folks?

Buy a white one. Upgrade to an open firmware. Mod your dpad (I hear the slim dpad is better, but I consider this mod essential for the fat psp). Enjoy.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Gear AC!D one and two if you have any interest in tactics games.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I wen't and grabbed my stuff. At this point in time I actually belive that there are enough games on the PSP that it's worth considering. My top picks are:

Gurumin: Not only a great adventure game, but a well constructed one. Originally a PC game from a few years back, Gurumin was brought to the US by Mastiff. After seeing what Konami had done with their Ys series on the PSP, Falcom decided to port this game their selves and they did an amazing job. The gameplay mixes a little bit of Megaman Legends into the package and creates an excellent action adventure game with a story written for the more child like in us, and solid controls that evoke a more mature game. Either way, this is one of my favorite "PSP only" games (it was never released on the PC for the US... so yeah).

Megaman Powered Up: I really need to check if the create your own level servers are still up for this game. If you have even the slightest fond memories for the original Megaman games, you owe it to yourself to track this game down. For the most part it's just a remake of the first game. There's even one mode that is an exact block for block remake of Megaman 1, but it's not as enjoyable. After you complete the game proper if you haven't had enough lovingly thick nostalgic syrup poured on, you can go and download/make any level you want with a very robust level builder. There were even more tilesets released than are playable in the game proper. Other players created some really, really amazing levels with it all too. This is probably the best action game package you can pick up on the console, but good luck as I haven't seen it around much in stores.

Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground: I just happen to grab this game really cheap used after some interest in the mechanics behind it. I ended up really liking it for most of the game, until I made it a bit too difficult/long for it's own good. See, there's not much within the basic design concept that separates this game from most dungeon crawling RPGs, except the most important thing: you're creating the dungeons. Were it not for that it would be pretty lame, but the game slowly builds the player up with knowledge and a bit of trial and error that you will want to create a more grand and tempting maze within your dungeon to trap better monsters so that you can then lure in the better prizes so that they can be sold for money to buy more equiptment to build more dungeon. It's a vicious circle that's difficult to articulate properly without playing the game itself. Either way, I highly recommend this one, it's great for short before bed play sessions, and long boring afternoons as well.

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles: I don't think I really need to say too much about this. I mean, Rondo of Blood remake, original Rondo of Blood (only US release), and Symphony of the Night (though, not the best/most complete version story wise, it is the best for gameplay). All in one package. You're a bastard if you demanded more.

Patapon: Now the jury is still out on this one as I'm making my way though it, but initial impressions involve a definite purchase. This is a rhythm and strategy game smashed together with a result that feels wholly original even though there's nothing entirely new behind either concept. If you're looking for a great rhythm game this isn't going to feed the need, and the same for heavy strategy. Though mixing them together in an original way with unique art direction makes for a truly special experience (mostly!).

Crush: This is a puzzle game. Don't let the prospect of a puzzle platformer misquide you. There's very little skill based platforming, it's more about figuring out how to get from point a to point b. Anyways, I can't in good faith recommend this game flat out to anyone. The game is very difficult, even very early on. It doesn't care if you can't for the life of you figure out a puzzle and want to move on. It's a bit of a mean game. I respect it for that though, and do like what I played of the game, but probably a bit too early on I ended up getting hoplessly stuck in this game and I do hate it a bit for really giving me no way out. Very challenging if you like that kind of thing.

~The rest of my recommendations are fairly safe/standard things to have in a collection. They're nothing too new, but also not exactly remakes. I like most of these quite a bit, and for all of these games I just wish that they were playable outside of the worst screen I've ever used in my life (the PSP screen)~

Ultimate Ghosts'N Goblins: I loved this game and played though it quite a few times. It does hearken back to a time that most developers have left in the dust with instant deaths and irreversable leaps of faith. But that's what made the series so great in the first place. I think I would rather recommend the version that was released in Japan that cut out a lot of the BS that the first version had (like ring collection and level warping) that just seems to bog the flow down. That's not imporant really though, it's not like the the first/US version of the game is bad, it's just a bit mis-guided.

Every Extend Extra: Go play Every Extend by Omega. Do you like it? Great, then go get EEE: Q? Entertainment's update and expansion of the game. It's not exactly the same, but more like a spiritual continuation of the original. Some of the mechanics are slightly different and the visual style changes for each level, but in its heart it is still Every Extend. The game molds and adjusts to your skill, and is perfect for it's arcade like flow. (Now, I do not recommend EEEE for the 360. It is aweful. I'm really not sure how they went from making something that's pretty good to making the worst, most bloated, easy, and pointless games ever created).

Gradius Collection: It has every major version of Gradius. Ever. Even Gaiden. There, the US finally got Gaiden. Go play it. (As an aside: Gaiden is probably the best Gradius game ever made, even more so than GV in my humble opinion).

Space Invaders Pocket: I love some of the Space Invaders games, though the early ones are mostly unnecessary. This version has almost every version available (even cellophane colored versions of the original b&w game and cellphone versions) including some of my favorite versions like Majestic Twelve (a version with non-standard formations, bosses, and world runner-esque 3D sections) and Attack of the Lunar Loonies aka Akkanvader (the only console release iirc). Just for MJ-12 and Akkanvader alone this game is worth it, but it's nice to see the others tossed in for free anyways. Oh, yeah, the game supports TATE mode so you can rotate the PSP for a more correct aspect ratio.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Matt.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of picking up a slim since the UMD drive in my main is dead and I don't want to spring for a 4/8 gb card or manage cards rather than managing UMDs.

Re: Patapon
Patapon is fucking excellent. It's probably the only rhythm game I'll ever love, because it actually takes rhythm, there are no useful visual cues (the sides of the screen pulse with the beat, but they don't telegraph what you need to do ala DDR arrows), on top of that it's got fun combat and nice little min/max aspects. The only downside is that you need to hear the beat, so in anything but a silent environ headphones are a MUST.

Re: Gradius Collection
Did they fix the slow down when using the laser in Gradius 3?

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:

I've only really played II and Gaiden on it extensively... so I don't know.

TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: PSP Stuff Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
So, I played a PSP for the first time recently; It was running a PS emulator with KOF99 on it.

So any tips, folks?

I'm doing this for you Sergei, and you alone. The following is a list of PSP titles I own, for better or for worse.

Silent Hill Origins:
It's a somewhat dull game to be completely honest. The whole survival horror concept, considering it;s original incarnations with the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series have really just become stagnant, and yet I keep coming back to them. Origins, on a relatively interesting note definitely tapped back into that incredibly surreal industrial wavelength that the beginning of the series possessed, but let go of during the next batch of sequels. SHO's combat is broken, it's grappling system is unique, if not contrived already (push button events, you know the drill soldier), it's storyline is a strange amalgam of the many different aspects of the series. You can throw a T.V set, I enjoy that.

Rengoku: The Tower of Purgatory:
Alright, well this very strange interpretation of Dante's Inferno comes to us courtesy of Konami, and it's actually not as bad as many have deemed it. It has an incredibly oppressive atmosphere, and it's a randomized dungeon crawler that attempts to fuse the artistic style of Tsutomu Nihei and Zdzislaw Beksinski, the artist in name is Jun Suemi's awesome hybrid of nightmarish architecture and cold steel fused to bone, it makes for incredible androids and weapons if nothing else. It's a cut and dry ride however friend, if you like dungeon crawlers, pick it up, it's dirt cheap and is great for passing the time.

Rengoku II: The Stairway to Heaven:
The sequel to the aforementioned Tower, it continues the strange interpretation of Dante's Inferno and fuses a great sense of the game's contained world and evokes a strange sort of fear for what may come when yo actually escape the dungeon's and find what was to be the living world, well, completely different then you thought it would be. It's J.G. Ballard's obsession with architecture, it's cold lifeless shells dominated by a lack of spirit and soul, huge juggernauts leaning in the distance. Another atmospheric rush, enhanced combat, still a randomized dungeon crawler. Downloadable content.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX:
You know how I already feel about Street Fighter Alpha's system in general, so the almighty amount of praise I would give this game is unhealthy and completely biased. Make sure to mod your D-Pad, otherwise you are in for a world of hurt.

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower:
Oh what a strange concoction of formerly glorious systems. This is Capcom's supposed attempt to give us the best of the Darkstalker's series in what convenient disc. I still don't see the appeal in a lot of the system's mixture and constant butchery of the separate games. Also, the head-to-head is a little funky, by funky I mean that I encounter a humongous amount of slowdown. It's cheap as well though, and is moderately fun I suppose. Same issue with SFA3M when it comes to the D-Pad.

Coded Arms:
Komani delivers again, another one of the many cursed first run PSP games that seemed to be lambasted and criticized by everyone to a seemingly unending extent. I completely understand why as well. I love Coded Arms. Being a sucker for first person shooters with semi-realistic futuristic firearms, I was delighted to see Coded Arms relish in this, as well as fusing a randomized dungeon pallet unto an already great game. It's a first person shooter RPG, mind you this is RPG within the current sense of terminology, meaning that Devil May Cry is an RPG as well. Speaking of RPG's, the RPG makes a fantastic explosion in this game. It's powered by a true drum and bass hardcore driving techno soundtrack that borderlines on annoying at points, but mostly fuels the strange fire that is Coded Arms. Once you get past the control scheme it becomes a lot of fun. Cheap as well.

Monster Hunter Freedom 2:
It's like Monster Hunter, but with more weapons, more dragons, and a greater amount of time spent doing the same old thing over and over again. On any day of the week this would most likely be a lovely and welcomed addition to my repertoire of bad taste in hand held titles, but I am just not completely feeling the game as much as I thought I would. Even playing with two other players, most of it just seems like a chore. But don't take my word for it, it's still an impressive game and it does have it's moments, you just need someone to play it with, otherwise the whole issue of connectivity and the player, as well as the difficulty of the wyverns soars through the roof.

That's all I have for the PSP, hope that gave you some ideas. Hey man, you have KOF99, with a D-Pad modification, what else do you need? It's all uphill from there friend!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt were you not into LocoRoco? It was one of the (3) reasons I bought a PSP in the first place. It's adorable jumping blobs who sing joyfully as you scoot them around the world. The art is wonderful. The sound is wonderful. It's all like Katamari, but better.

Patapon, by the same people, is just as good as people here are saying. Worm does get it right here; it's not portable. But then, I don't personally categorize the PSP as portable beyond being able to play it in any room in my apartment. But that same characteristic also lends it the status of the most "zone" game I've ever played; headphones on, full body time-keeping, lying on my bed.

The original Every Extend was one of the two most mechanically sound videogames ever created (the other is Mr. Driller). That original is included in EEE, plus a whole bunch of variations on the theme.

Final Fantasy Tactics may be something you've played before. I hadn't. It's a fantastic game though. Difficult, but engaging on multiple levels, and even the new anime cutscenes can't detract from a top-tier videogame storyline.

Other thoughts:

Lumines makes no sense to me. It's never clicked and I don't find it in any way enjoyable, but so many people have raved about it over the years that I have to assume I'm doing something wrong. I just don't get what it is.

I'm not at all fueled by gamer nostalgia and I don't really like 2D platformers any more, so the copies of Dracula X and Megaman Powered Up I bought on recommendations from here and SB have been played for 20 minutes a piece and sit untouched on my shelf.

Between Outrun 2006 and Ridge Racer, choose the latter. Outrun relies on environment and color and soundtrack and is much better enjoyed on a TV from a couch, which Ridge Racer thrives more on course design and simple drift mechanics and fits quite well with a PSP.

I agree with Matt about Crush; it's far more enjoyable in concept than it is to play. And the presentation is absolutely lousy to boot. Note that the upcoming Echochrome, based around similar but more Escher-esque environments, doesn't appear to be enjoyable either. The upcoming Cave-Story-alike version looks more fun and better put together than either.

I found Jeanne D'Arc to be awful. For some reason some people like it, but the story is all animu dry-heaves and I didn't find anything exact enough in the game mechanics to warrant it even being a strategy RPG. Sloppy, inane, a complete waste of time. Same goes for every JRPG except FFT on the system, in my experience. Yuck!

I just put Gurumin in my gamefly queue. I'm curious about it now.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Matt were you not into LocoRoco?

LocoRoco was pretty... uh, boring to me. My wife liked it quite a lot though!

simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm realizing that scale seems to have a lot to do with my preferences in portable gaming. My favorites all feature smaller, abstracted avatars in larger environments. Bigger, detailed avatars feel dwarfed and emasculated due to the smaller size of the console itself, and even the grandest action is still only an inch high. So in a game like FFT:WotL, the normal combat feels right, while the grand spells and summons feel strangely off. A smaller representation of characters feels more apt; it conveys a sense of scale, challenge and accomplishment that console-action-style games can't. In these cases, abstracted graphics are a bonus as they encourage the player to mentally fill in the gaps. It's the reason my favorite GBA games are Fire Emblem and Racing Gears Advance, which featured mere markers of avatars, a few pixels high, and actively placed emphasis on environment instead. It's also why I love Shiren DS when I was never able to get into the large-screened emulated version. Actually, the only game I can think of that breaks the rule for me is Chibi Robo: Park Patrol, which features a protagonist only a couple inches high to begin with.

Point being, the LocoRoco/Patapon folks really seem to understand that (as well as acknowledging the inherent potential for cuteness and energy of small things); in LocoRoco you aren't even moving your characters as much as you are tilting their world around, sliding them here and there.
Worm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Worm wrote:

I've only really played II and Gaiden on it extensively... so I don't know.

ASS!

There is a Paradious Collection also! If that's up your alley.

simplicio wrote:
Patapon, by the same people, is just as good as people here are saying. Worm does get it right here; it's not portable.

It's pretty portable. It just gets harder to play on a train, than it is say in a hospital room. Since you're usually grinding or dealing with some fucking insane boss (sand worm I'm looking at you) it works pretty well being turned off and back on at a moment's notice.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:

You can adjust the slowdown in every game on the collection, if you want.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:

simplicio wrote:
Patapon, by the same people, is just as good as people here are saying. Worm does get it right here; it's not portable.

It's pretty portable. It just gets harder to play on a train, than it is say in a hospital room. Since you're usually grinding or dealing with some fucking insane boss (sand worm I'm looking at you) it works pretty well being turned off and back on at a moment's notice.

Yeah, but then there's the difficulty of pausing and everything too. I find it requires quite a bit of attention.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Worm wrote:

You can adjust the slowdown in every game on the collection, if you want.

Oh! Speaking of nice features in the game, you can also make the hitbox smaller on the ship so it kind of blends in that feature added to G5.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: