The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I got so fucking SMASHed last night...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: I got so fucking SMASHed last night... Reply with quote

...because I was playing as Olimar and he plays unlike any other characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl! Speaking of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, what's the consensus on it around these parts? I'm not talking about as a high level fighting game or anything like that, but as an experience. I mean, I know many of us are totally against collectathons and dangling carrots and that's pretty much what Smash Bros is, but it's specifically about dangling little pieces of gaming history and I think we can appreciate that.

Personally, I think the game is pretty good and I definitely enjoy the little rewards that are constantly popping up (I'm not always against this sort of thing), but I also feel disappointed that the game is still basically the same thing it's always been but with a fresh coat of paint and a new set of carrots. The redeeming factor for me is that the new characters are all very different from the ones that have been in the game up to this point.

I already mentioned Olimar, who pulls Pikmin from the ground and has powers that change potency depending on the number of Pikmin on the board, but Wario is also pretty unique too. Wario can pull a motorcycle out of his pocket and ride around on it, attacking anyone in his path, but he can also get off of the motorcycle and throw it at people. It's interesting! But it also sort of reinforces how boring the old charachers are. Every time I hit the character select screen I'm disappointed by how many returning faces there are.

So anyways! What are y'allz opinions on this guy?

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, No More Heroes and Mario Galaxy (which seems good despite disappointing my expectations) mean I now have a reason to get a Wii. It's all a matter of funding now.
The only girl I've ever loved was born with roses in her eyes. But then they buried her alive, one evening 1945, with just her sister at her side, and only weeks before the guns all came and rained on everyone...
fish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i appreciate smash for the amazing fan service blowjob it is.
i have fun with it for a while whenever a new one comes out and always eventually lose interest.

some guys at this place i used to work at would play EVERY DAY at lunch.
every day. they were hardcore. yet they all complained it was too fucking random.
yet they played everyday. meh.

i hear there's electroplanktons in this one!
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far, i'm a little bored.

then again, i hadn't even planned on buying it; i just didn't have anything to do today (already cleaned the house and read rubin on murakami cover to cover this weekend) so i grabbed a bunch of my roommate's games that he forgot he had, brought them to the gamestop where i used to work, said hi to everybody, got smash.

read: i'm alone and oughtn't be judging the game on these terms anyway.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it a lot! I always thought that Melee felt kind of uncontrollably fast and loose, and Brawl is a nice step back from that. Also Lucas is way good, which is a major plus in my book. There's... a lot going on, though, in terms of how many play modes the game wants me to pay attention to is concerned. It'll be a while before I can really take everything in, y'know?

The level design in the story mode strongly reminds me of a Kirby game.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched my roommate play a bit of adventure mode. Looks like the same old thing but prettier. Deets is right, the levels are all Kirby; even the Metroid level had a kirby-launcher sitting around on the ground.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the trophy and sticker mode, just because I like nosing around all the models and art they've produced! Can anyone tell me how high-res the stickers are? How far can you zoom into them before they blur up?
mslano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played Melee competitively for about 4 years, so my initial impressions of the game (on imported versions in past weeks) were disappointing when taken from that perspective. Playing through my own copy in the coming weeks will probably get me more into the spirit of enjoying the game as it was intended, but I can't help feeling a little miffed that this game was not built with the competitive player in mind (which can likely be said for the whole series, with Melee being a fluke in how suitable it proved to be for withstanding the scrutiny of a large competitive community).
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing smash bros. competitively is for shmucks.

i just got my copy, and i'll be playing as soon as my laundry's done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is still a pretty great fighting game on its own, it's just not as fucked up as Melee was. Which is a good thing, I think. And I mean, hell, who knows what crazy techniques people will figure out over time (although, yeah, it does look like the developers covered their bases pretty well)?

The story mode is wayyy more fun co-op, as expected.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I live in Australia, so I won't be seeing this game, which I am unreasonably impatient for, until probably around the end of the year. I just wanted to post and say that I am seething with envious hatred of you all right now. Cheers!

Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last half of the game's story mode is pretty amazingly vile. It requires going through an enormous map consisting entirely of previous ares strung together via random doorways, while fighting all of the previous boss fights and every other character in the game. When my roommate started his percentage completion was at 41%. When he finished it was at 82%. So uh, you basically have to play the game twice.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, Jason. I was really dreading that part from how other people had described it, but it wound up taking us only about two hours to get through "The Great Maze", while the first half of the game took us six to eight hours. It seemed kind of daunting, but you can keep up a pretty brisk pace; either the levels were longer the first time around, or certain parts of the terrain were repeated in different stages and with different characters. They also change the layouts within the terrain--there's a certain lock that takes five switches to get through initially, but it only takes three switches in the Great Maze, and you have to hit one of them just to get up to it. It feels a lot like the Castlevania approach to getting the most out of your art elements.

Or, to put it another way, 1% of the Subspace Emissary right at the beginning involves a much different amount of playtime than 1% a the end.

There are a lot of subtle improvements to the game that I really like: the ability to swim, climbable ladders, tripping over banana peels (and your own dumb feet on occasion). Some things still throw me off, like the fact that aerial dodging doesn't change your position, or the fact that Mario's Down+B isn't a spin anymore. Either way, I like it, and I like the chaos it inspires.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing alone = I don't buy this game.

Sad I guess, but the 2nd one never thrilled me all that much. Never played the first.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the art high-res in the sticker gallery, or low-res?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been mostly playing subspace emissary. i like a lot of what it's doing so far: things like the mine cart rides remind me that it's a sequel to kirby super star, which is a fairly perfect marriage of 2d platformer and brawler. the discs on rails are fabulous game elements.

i like lucas's stage a lot, though it's totally not in fitting with the tone of mother 3. smash bros. could never match the tone of mother 3, and i think what happens in lucas's stage is a nice way of acknowledging that.

i've played through classic mode twice, with meta-knight and pit. at some point i'll try event mode. oh, and the coin launcher is absolutely great. it may be the smartest addition to the game. the original was just a gumball machine!

oh, and a got a sticker from joy mech fight. that made me pretty happy. oh, and the arranged snowman track. i could probably list things all day if i let myself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
playing smash bros. competitively is for shmucks..

:ROLL:

I've got 60 hours of playtime logged with the game (almost entirely Brawl since I only just started playing SSE and Classic when I got my US copy). I never played Melee competitively, I never even really enjoyed that game except when playing with friends now and again. I bet I've only ever even logged 30 hours or so with Melee. Brawl, however, immediately drew me in for several reasons:

1) the new characters are such great additions. King DeDeDe, Sonic, Metaknight, Olimar. All my favorite characters are the new ones (or the drastically improved as is the case with Luigi). When I would play Melee, I would stare at the roster for quite some time before finally settling on Kirby because I just couldn't get into many of the characters. Now I spend a long time because I can't make my choice between so many great characters.

2) The floatiness of the physics combined with the sweet spot on the edge make edge guarding much more fun and something even casual players can get into. It's turned into the meat of the game for me. I never even considered edge guarding in Melee.

3) Input buffering makes the game easier "for the rest of us" and immediately makes the game tighter (even though some would say that makes it looser).

4) Smash Balls are a great addition when you're playing with items. The screen has some sort of effect that warns you that it's appeared. It's subtle enough that I can't even tell you what happens, but easy enough to catch that I often think "oh there's a smash ball" even if I can't spot it right away. Then the mad scramble for the smash ball begins. Once someone gets it you either a) try to beat it out of them or b) run away from them, depending on what their final smash is.

5) The levels are so much better. Compare the two Battlefields: outer space background with some sort of VR chamber looking, generic futuristic-ish platforms? or blue skies with generic outdoor ruins theme. I guess tastes will differ, but I much prefer Brawl's Battlefield. I think this distinction applies to much of the game. Compare Melee's menu against Brawl's to see what I mean (it's like browsing SB forums and then TGQ forums in terms of default themes).

6) The music is so much better, and you can choose what songs play, and yes, I care.

7) The level editor is really nice. Say you want to play Battlefield but with the platforms inverted (higher platforms on the outside, center one lower), then it's only a matter of spending 30 seconds to make the level and assign it any music track that you've unlocked (of the close to 300 tracks).

So I've been playing with friends a lot, but when I'm playing competively, I usually play against the cpu because my friends usually don't like to do 1 vs 1 with no items, although I have a friend that will team up with me against two level 9 cpu players with items off. In both cases, fighting the cpu is very satisfying. They don't edge guard quite as aggressively as I would like, but they are pretty good/fun competition. Of the 60 hours of playtime I've logged, I would guess that 35-40 hours of that is just me and the computer.

So I'm pretty much obsessed with this game. I'm convinced this is going to be my goty, It's a great 1vs 1 fighting game, it's a great 2 vs 2 team fighting game (I'm waiting until my friend is ready to start playing with friendly fire on), it's a great party game, I love how versatile it is and how there are nice distractions (SSE, home run contest, COIN LAUNCHER!, etc.) that I can dabble in, and about the only things I can critique for are:

1) Tripping is annoying.

2) The fact that you can't change the default controls is annoying (because I want to disable up is jump for everyone), but I did just realize that I can create a "Guest" name for everyone to use that doesn't have a name already.

3) I would have liked to have the option to use the dpad on my classic controller. This is a minor gripe though because the analog stick works just fine.

4) The game always resets back to 2-minute free for all instead of staying at 3 stock survival even though it has no trouble remember what I last had the items set at.

5) There should be an option to create item sets so that you have say item set A which is Smash Balls, Assist Trophies, Pokeballs, and Dragoon Pieces set to high frequency. It doesn't take too long to set up what you want usually, but I do find it a little strange that they didn't think of this.

So yeah, I think this game is absolutely fantastic and that everyone should give this a fair chance because if you like fighting games are games to play casually with friends, you'll probably love this one.

edit: The stickers cannot be zoomed in on as far as I know.
bleak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for the record, capitain olimar is the most worthless character i've ever witnessed.

my favorite characters are ness, ROB, and pokemon trainer so far. charizard is the jams.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleak, Olimar is my main. If you want to go head to head with no items on Battlefield I will show you why. (alternatively, my Olimar vs. the CPU)

oh and...

Anyone at all near Brooklyn should add me and send me a PM.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:

edit: The stickers cannot be zoomed in on as far as I know.

Wank!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it today. Have not tried it yet.

Hopefully it should allow sharing of save games, right?
I'm going to explore the single player modes etc but I cannot abide some of the ridiculousness entailed in unlocking all characters and boards in the previous games.
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Got it today. Have not tried it yet.

Hopefully it should allow sharing of save games, right?
I'm going to explore the single player modes etc but I cannot abide some of the ridiculousness entailed in unlocking all characters and boards in the previous games.

I think that you can only share levels, photos, and replays with people that you have on your Wii friend list and Brawl friend list (but I also think that it automatically adds your Wii friends that have Brawl to your Brawl list).

I unlocked all the characters and boards in the game just by playing Brawl for a few days and not touching Classic or SSE (I did have to do some events to unlock some levels though).

Also, the golden hammers will help you get the levels or music that you are having difficulty unlocking.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, haven't played it all yet; I just remember melee had some bosses that seemed really unfair for unlocking things.

I had good luck using a downloaded save game for Excite Truck
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlocking characters in Brawl is a whole lot faster than it ever was in Melee.
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I had good luck using a downloaded save game for Excite Truck

Oh I thought you meant sharing saved replays. You can't share save files for Brawl because Nintendo hates us. It's really not too bad unlocking everything though (check this out to see what requirements you need to satisfy to unlock things, most things have multiple ways to be unlocked).
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
Unlocking characters in Brawl is a whole lot faster than it ever was in Melee.

I did think it was good how I had Melee for months and months before I even realised Mew or Mr. Game And Watchtm were in it, though.
Hospital Zone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i've been mostly playing subspace emissary. i like a lot of what it's doing so far: things like the mine cart rides remind me that it's a sequel to kirby super star, which is a fairly perfect marriage of 2d platformer and brawler.

At first, I thought that SSE was going to be a very half-assed mode, and the story would be too flaky for me to overcome. When I saw how HAL managed the game like Kirby super star, my faith was restored. I loved Kirby SS, and SSE looks like it's pretty true to that game, so the game play gives me a good reason to get over my apprehensions.

I will inaugurate my copy next week, after some midterms, and get truly smashed! Some friends and I have established a long tradition of playing smash bros with malt liquor. I don't know, it just seems like the right thing to do.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just played three hours of smash bros. with my classmates on a giant projection screen. this game is a blast.

one of lucas's alternate color schemes is claus. meta-knight and dedede are great.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meta knight is pretty phenomenal, yeah. i still prefer ness over lucas though, i can't seem to do anything effectively with the kid.

snake is such a blast to play!

edit: dmauro have you played against humans yet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he will soon if he hasn't and he wants to respond to the pm i'm about to send.

hey dmauro i'm going to be in brooklyn from philly this weekend and i'm pming you about Brawl.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notably kickin' music:

super mario land 2 palace theme, jazzy meta-knight's revenge, metal gourmet race, humoresque of a little dog, gorgeous snowman arrangement, famicom medley (attached to a pretty amazing stage). it goes without saying that the main theme is fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a Dr. Mario costume option for Mario? Not having the good doctor in the game would be a little sad for me. That's my character we're talking about.
dmauro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
meta knight is pretty phenomenal, yeah. i still prefer ness over lucas though, i can't seem to do anything effectively with the kid.

snake is such a blast to play!

edit: dmauro have you played against humans yet

Yes, but not any that have reflexes as good as the cpu. None of my friends will go one on one with no items with me though because they don't own the game, and online the matches are too laggy to really consider. Either way though, Olimar is a beast. And you can recover if someone is edge hogging, it's just really hard.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
one on one with no items

why would you do this

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because a lucky item grab levels the playing field and he wants a skill match

i say, smash brothers was never meant for skillful play. i say, pokeballs for everyone!

dmauro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
dmauro wrote:
one on one with no items

why would you do this

Mostly because it's an option that is there and is fun, but also to make some people whine on the internet.

sediment, it's not so much about skill. It's just that playing with items on and off make for very different matches and I like to play both ways (and every way in between).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno, playing smash bros. with no items seems like playing sonic the hedgehog without running.

so what i really like about this game (i was telling one of my classmates today) is that there seem to be a bunch of ways to unlock each character (and this is at least partially true of melee too). i'm playing through subspace emissary and i unlocked two characters i know my classmates have unlocked through completely different means. this is nice in a game that can be played so many different ways: it tells me all of those ways are valid.

(except playing with no items. that still doesn't count.)

(it's also true of other unlockables, via the challenges screen. i saw a hidden stage behind "clear ???? event" and used a golden hammer to get it open.)

my "% completed" tells me i'm halfway through subspace emissary. i just earned a slew of characters, including a TOP SECRET one. the more i play subspace emissary the more i admire its design, and the way it unifies so many diverse platforming scenarios while simultaneously unifying so many diverse characters in a story that actually makes sense and allows each of them to shine. some really nice boss fights toward the middle mark, too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? i'm, i think, 39% through, and the boss fights have just seemed so.. sloppy so far. like, i can tell they've got patterns, but the floatiness of the controls doesn't really help me with reacting to these patterns accordingly, and the general difficulty of actually getting killed means that it's not such a big deal that i can't.
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

played subspace emissary and the two-player challenges with a friend today.

I really, really like Pit. IN fact, the 50 yoshi challenge with metaknight and Pit was really quite fun!

Lucas feels like a more inflexible Ness.

JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas can KO at something like 70-80% with his standing up-smash, recover from nearly any situation and deal fairly ridiculous damage with his enormously improved PK Thunder (and rope snake!), actually hit opponents with PK Freeze - which often results in more damage than Flash - and can grab people from more than twice the distance that Ness can. So uh, what are you guys doing that's leading you to conclude that Ness is better?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i dunno, playing smash bros. with no items seems like playing sonic the hedgehog without running.

I prefer no items even in 4-player free-for-alls. I rarely play that way, but the process of running to an item and grabbing it is a whole different skill set entirely from the fighting. There's significantly less of a luck factor than most people complain about, especially when you start to really explore each item's various techniques. I prefer no items because I happen not to be very good at retrieving items and using them to their fullest potential.

Incidentally, I think we would all love to see a Sonic the Hedgehog with no running video in the i like to watch thread.

P.S. Jason Moses, you're hardcore.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:

P.S. Jason Moses, you're hardcore.

Yeah I bet, huh
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Lucas can KO at something like 70-80% with his standing up-smash, recover from nearly any situation and deal fairly ridiculous damage with his enormously improved PK Thunder (and rope snake!), actually hit opponents with PK Freeze - which often results in more damage than Flash - and can grab people from more than twice the distance that Ness can. So uh, what are you guys doing that's leading you to conclude that Ness is better?

yoyo.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have known!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
The last half of the game's story mode is pretty amazingly vile. It requires going through an enormous map consisting entirely of previous ares strung together via random doorways, while fighting all of the previous boss fights and every other character in the game. When my roommate started his percentage completion was at 41%. When he finished it was at 82%. So uh, you basically have to play the game twice.

i'm in the great maze now and either i missed a LOT the first time through or most of this place is original. i did notice one place that i'd been before, but this time i was heading up and left rather than right and down, a significant change since there are rocks falling down and wind blowing to the right. the place probably isn't necessary, but smash bros. is nothing if it's not everything, everything, everything.

as for boss fights, there are exactly two that stick out in my mind as being pretty rad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was in another forum that someone mentioned knowing the controls will really help you get over the "floaty" feel that is giving you a hard time in the SSE:

After you come down just a bit from the apex of a jump (or a short hop, which is accomplished by tapping the jump button quickly) you can tap down on the analog stick to fall faster. If you are using a character that has a rapid A combo, you might try using your forward or down tilt instead to keep from attacking longer than your want to (you can also cancel that A combo by ducking after your first jab). When you are flying through the air after being hit by a strong attack, doing a mid-air dodge will slow your momentum and get you back on the screen faster. Also, when you are flying off the screen (this one is tricky because it's counter-intuitive) pressing the opposite way you are going will not help, but pressing in a direction perpendicular to the way you are traveling will help.

I'm not having a problem with the controls being a problem with the bosses, but instead I don't know what attacks to use. When you're fighting another fighter you switch up the attacks you need based on where they are and how it will knock them back. But when the boss is so big that any attack will hit and deal no knockback, which attack do you use? I usually just end up spamming my forward and up smashes and then dodging attacks (or if I'm pikachu, down b down b down b ad nauseam).
bleak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:
because a lucky item grab levels the playing field
this problem is especially prevalent in 1 on 1 brawl matches. a fully assembled dragoon mask, pokeball, assist trophy, golden hammer, stopwatch or smash ball can turn what could be a potentially exciting game into an easy, hollow victory. have you ever tried this, dess?

here's a thing i wrote on SB. i think some of you shall find it helpful! spoilers for secret characters i suppose

Sorry if I repeat myself at any point here. I like talking about this game.

Marth got gimped so hard and his air control and recovery ability has been reduced to near nothing in this game so I hate playing as him now. I didn't really play him in Melee, but when I randomed him I didn't feel nothing but hatred back then.

ROB is fucking phenomenal. I don't even understand it. He seems to have disjointed hitboxes and huge ridiculous range on everything, same with Lucario, who also happens to be pretty goddamn awesome. His up b is rigoddamndiculous, and his down b seems useless, and is only just confusing.

Lucas is too different from Ness for me to immediately grasp, my initial impressions of him are that he's just an insane powerhouse, but a bit slower/less mobile overall than Ness. It also seems like most of his moves are a lot harder to hit with than Ness, making him a sort of Ike to Ness' Marth, if that makes any sense.

Bowser is actually decent now! No longer one of the three worst characters in the game! His over b now performs a body slam in addition, which he's completely invincible during. His fair is still great, his dtilt is still great, and his ftilt is also still great. His fire seems slightly nerfed due to the way that damage is handled in Brawl, but that's okay since it's of limited use anyway.

Snake. Snake is great. You can play him as an A character or a B character really, and either way is pretty viable. His ftilt is a two hit combo that absolutely wrecks everything, and his aaa combo is a great way to rack up quick damage since it's fast and has supreme range. His dash attack is also really killer, especially since you can apparently cancel it into an upsmash, which happens to be safe as hell throughout.

Ike I am ambivalent towards. He's really heavy, slow, and hits like a ton of bricks. But he's also relatively small as far as heavies go, but even in light of that he's probably one of the least mobile characters in the game. He also has the most pre/post lag in the game. His smashes aside from up are virtually worthless as they don't carry enough swath or have far too much pre and post lag. And he only has one spike, which is dtilt. Yes, that's on the ground. On the plus side, every single one of his moves can be used to KO a character, and he generally does tons of damage. It's possible to 1hko characters from 0% with his neutral b, which is especially good considering that he gets super armor at some point while performing that move. Anyway Ike wall of text end.

Zelda sure as hell did get buffed a lot from the last game. She seems to play a lot like Peach now, sans turnip spam. I've always been a bit annoyed that she can't teleport through objects, but it's not that big a deal. Her air game has become superior, and her ground game is nothing to scoff at anymore either. I'd say she's almost as good as Peach, though this is just based on a cursory glance of the two. Peach definitely got nerfed a bit though.

Toon Link is pretty savage. He's deceptively fast, and deceptively long-armed. He's not nearly as much of an item pest as Link is, but he makes up for that in being what seems to be a better version of MK. Again, haven't played much of this little guy. First impression is rather good.

MK can be summed up by saying that he's an excellent poker but has absolutely zero KO ability. Good for beginners, bad for vets.

I hate Sonic. I refuse to play as him.

Well that looks like the end for this particular character breakdown. Look forward to more later!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gimpyfish has done some pretty amazing things with MK. He may not have direct KO ability, but he can edge guard pretty well.

I am also a huge fan of * R.O.B. *. His nuetral air is ridiculous and his back air functions as a headbutt of sorts as well. And then there's his gyroscope which is fantasic (until everyone gets good enough to just catch it). I haven't unlocked him yet in the US version, which is sort of driving me crazy because he's one of my favorites. Oh and the fact that you can repeatedly use his up b makes edge guarding much safer too.

I'm surprised you didn't have anything to say about Diddy though. His bananas are interesting, and he has some decent knock-out abilities and is extremely fast and agile. And his forward dash also cancels into an up smash really well. And if he catches you with a forward b and then jumps, if there is no ground below you, you're probably not going to recover (but he still gets his jump and up b). He's probably my favorite newcomer after Olimar, but I'm not very good with him yet.
bleak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played much diddy, so I don't have much to say about him. He definitely seems solid, with some interesting metagame revolving around the banana peels/over b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, definitely agreeing re: Lucas. I liked Ness, but Lucas - even though he's a total powerhouse compared to Ness - is far less maneuverable and a lot slower. I felt more nimble with IKE, of all people.

Wario simply should not be used on some maps. Like the one where there are two tiny steely towers floating in dead space? Yeah, that one is definitely a Wari-no-zone.

I couldn't really figure out how to use Olimar effectively. Do the pikmin beef up his A attacks, or are they just used for his B techniques? Granted, the first - and only - map I landed on him randomly was the upwards scrolling bridgefest, so I lost a lot of nominal practice time just trying to not get blasted by the zone borders.
His final smash is pretty awesome, though!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: