The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much japanese do i have to be able to read in it?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that's nice
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
to reiterate, space invaders extreme is brilliant.

Mmmmm hmmmm.

Dess, have you figured out what causes the "gradation" numbers on the top screen to fluctuate?
Hospital Zone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
If you can say without using spoilers, where are you in the game, Hospital Zone?

I took a year of Japanese, and while that isn't enough to begin to understand anything, it's helpful to be able to recognize "Yes" and "No", at least. It's likewise handy to be able to at least guess at the pronunciation of hiragana and katakana--maybe I can't understand what the characters are saying, but I can at least figure out which character's talking, and cross-reference that with the translation.

I've just gotten well into chapter 7 and onto the snowy mountain. It's my second try though. I managed to get to the beginning of chapter 4 based on the billions of hours I've logged into EB in my tender years. Then I found a translation and started over so I could enjoy the humour, understand what some items did without wasting them, and stop wandering around aimlessly until something happened to move me along with the story. It's pretty annoying to cross-check the game and translation all the time, just to figure out which NPC/generic woman/ man is saying what, but it's been worth the effort so far.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I got through Ravenholm(es).

Only to immediately fall down the entrance into the mines. I fractured something about halfway down and then plummeted to my doom, which led to the touching moment of me crossing the great divide while my suit helpfully informed me that it was administering some morphine.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Dess, have you figured out what causes the "gradation" numbers on the top screen to fluctuate?

why are you looking at the top screen?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiosity!

Anyway, I've since realized that the numbers are actually just related to the BGM that plays on each stage. I thought they might have been related to the rate multiplier, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit, COSMIC LUIGI

what a bitch

I really liked how they handled Luigi meeting himself in the Ghost House Galaxy: obviously the best way would have been to just make Mario the person you have to rescue, or even a third character (Daisy?), but I guess they'd resolved to change as little as they could for the second quest. Anyway, the whole thing is explained with a single, elegant piece of dialogue: Luigi says something like 'Thanks for rescuing me, ..ME?! Well, I suppose in an infinite universe there must be at least one person with my face' and then no more is made of it. Smooth!
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finally figured out to how use DOSBox today.

Impressions:

Rebel Assault II is so bad, holy shit. I had the PSX version and sold it several years ago. I downloaded the PC version out of boredom and ran through the first two levels. Terrible game.

X-Wing seems awesome and all, but I don't know how to configure my Saitek joystick with DOSBox, so...yeah.

Llamatron is amazing, oh my god oh my god. I love Minter. I keep opening this one up for another quick game. I love how using the "Human+Droid" option compensates for using the keyboard.

I keep having a problem with PC games--older ones, like the DOSBox games and The Neverhood. Whenever I play them (in full-screen, generally), the colors invert, creating a psychedelic effect that renders them unplayable. At times, it seems to only appear on certain textures/pixels, but often it's the entire screen. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about, or how to fix it?

Are there any DOS games I should be playing? Preferably something I can play with a mouse and keyboard. I still need to play more ScummVM, but I've been thinking about checking out Lemmings, the Gabriel Knight games, Civilization and some others.
bleak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvis.Shrugged I do this at every possible opportunity but since you're on a DOSBOX binge I suggest Stonekeep. It's available on theunderdogs with full CD audio. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Stonekeep! I remember eagerly anticipating that game's release for -possibly- years. I still have the original CD, manual, and novella from when it was released. I eventually threw away the sweet box it was packaged in though. It was a game that sort of missed its window of greatness. It would have been huge if it was released on time.

About 6 months ago I got it all set up in DOSBox. Runs pretty well. I never finished it when it came out, but I plan on returning to it someday.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dementium: The Ward. It pushes so much to power the 3d engine that the rest of the game suffers considerably. I played through the first two chapters, fought lots of identical zombies who all disappeared in mid-air when they died, found plenty of ammo but no gun, and explored two identical floors of a hospital. The game works the setting as a "best of horror game tropes" which falls awfully short.

However, I loved the peculiar little piano puzzle in the child's room. It wasn't a hard puzzle if you know anything about music, and it was pleasingly intuitive on the DS. I probably will send this one back to gamefly pretty quickly.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Layton is a sweet little game. I don't know that I can say anything more than has already been said here, but i do enjoy it.
sediment

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan was something of a disappointment.

Its action is decent - but that's really all it has, and compared to other action-focused offerings (God of War, for example) Conan falls short.

Upside: You're CONAN.

Downside: You're CONAN with the voice of a chess team member!

If You're Into That: you can rescue women whose clothes have mysteriously gone missing.

One of the only really cool things Conan has is that you can pick up and use practically any weapon your enemies use. And if you're not getting much mileage out of it you can always chuck it at them and pick something else up. The stage design somewhat meanders and secret areas are really obvious.

Fred

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so now that classes have finished i've finally found time to finish BARKLEY, SHUT UP AND JAM: GAIDEN. it's a parody of the jrpg, and the reason it's such a success is that it is sharper, better-written, faster-paced, and more playable than the games it's spoofing - which many intended parodies aren't. there are some very smart ideas here, and some very keen observation. everything is ridiculous, but it works because the delivery is so deadpan.

and the pacing is lightning fast. my clock reads just over four hours at the end, and the game manages to pack more and more varied scenes in that time period than most eighty-hour jrpgs do.

it's a great work of satire. what TALES OF GAME'S has accomplished here is pretty spectacular.

I haven't had much time for games-playing lately but I downloaded this and love it. I just finished the furry town. So hilarious. I'm a bit disappointed that it's not longer, but maybe that's for the best.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so my plan is something like finish nwn, then start nwn2 and then play mask of the betrayer, and at some point before or after this i will get into baldur's gate 2.

and by the time that's done with, clear sky will have dropped.

perhaps i have tilted my last windmill.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't play nwn2 without mask of the betrayer installed

even then the core nwn2 campaign is kind of blah, imo. they really made it quite easy and the plot is nothing fab enough to merit a sappy prance-along with a shallow nod at gameplay.

be prepared for crash bugs.

BG2 is pretty good though!

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all installed and updated. the updating was hilarious! there were 13 of them!

i just can't get into bg2. part of it is the voice acting, but i don't think it's a huge part. maybe i'm just shitty. or i can't decide on a good build. any game that features a giant bald guy whose best friend is a rodent should be my favorite of all time, just cause.

and yet, no.

it's just hard being me, i guess.

maybe i'll just play some more crysis. mmmmmmmmmm crysis.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best trick I figured out building a character in that game was to set up a kensai with int 18 and one-handed proficiencies and immediately dual-class him into a mage once the game started. That way once you hit your starting level again (pretty quick; there are ways to speed this up too, like going alone with yojimbo into the thieves guild and having him pick all the locks while you soak up the XP, make everyone take a walk when you learn spells off scrolls, etc.) you get a (good, all the provided ones are weird) magic user with all the kensai combat bonuses AND you get to wear wizard armor.

(also you can give yourself a really low charisma score because you get a ring that gives you cha 18 off the boss of the quest in the circus tent right at the beginning)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kensai/mage dual is definitely the powergaming way to go. Plus, it's incredibly fun! BG2 really nails the high-level wizardry aspects of D&D like none other. You've got contingencies, spell triggers, all that cool stuff. And the NPC mages really make good use of it as well, with loads of protective spells going off on certain conditions, etc. Probably my favorite aspect of the game.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legend of kage 2 is the latest taito arcade reimagining for the ds. it's an absolutely gorgeous and fast run jump slash ninja adventure.

it makes great use of the dual screens' vertical space. if you've played kage you know that the game is all about kage's distinctive super-high jump. this fits the ds perfectly, since you can see what's way over your head at all times. one of the bosses chucks bombs up to the top screen, and you have to glance up to see where they're going to land. (the bosses are great by the way.)

and there's wall-running and option ninjas. and a new character to play as i havn't tried yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this was my favorite sam & max yet.

also, the spider boss in legend of kage 2 is fucking rad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i appreciate all the little references to the original in kage 2. like fighting a flame-spitting priest before you can move on, or two priests dressed in white (those would be from the nes port!). some of the stages are clear nods to the original kage's narrative.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure love you some videogames, Dessgeega.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an import or do I have the chance of getting my mitts on it at ye locale game shoppe?

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

import. it could be crossing the seas at some point, though. i think arkanoid and space invaders are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it means well, Space Invaders Revolution is... kind of boring. Full of busywork, to amuse people who like sorting paper clips. I thought this was the pseudo-Mizuguchi/Pac-Man CE-esque souped up zany thing from a few months back. It's not! Apparently!

Oh well. At least there's Zuntata inside.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
Though it means well, Space Invaders Revolution is... kind of boring.

nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall hearing about a Simple 2000 game for the DS that was a spiritual successor to Assault Suits Valken. Does anyone know how that turned out?
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
aderack wrote:
Though it means well, Space Invaders Revolution is... kind of boring.

nonsense.

Yeah, dess, he's referring to Space Invaders Revolution, not Extreme. Definitely not nonsense, I think?

Last edited by JasonMoses on Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:
Upside: You're CONAN.

Downside: You're CONAN with the voice of a chess team member!

If You're Into That: you can rescue women whose clothes have mysteriously gone missing.

So basically you're saying that it is a game that was practically made for the average Manowar fan.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, why didn't anyone tell me No More Heroes was fucking amazing? I kept putting off buying it because I hated Killer 7 so much, but it's really the total opposite. Where Killer 7 reveled in being totally annoying, No More Heroes revels in being totally awesome. There's a huge difference here. I've taken down two of the bosses guys so far and I'm totally blown away by how all of the nutty "game deco" art/game design fits together. I guess I can see how it might get old, but so far I'm very, very impressed.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Game Deco" — nice one! How are you enjoying/not enjoying the fake-open-world sections between hits, Wes?

I haven't played NMH yet, though I still want to. I caught the XBLA bug last weekend and purchased N+ and Triggerheart Excelica. I am immensely enjoying both, especially N+. I can't wait to make my own levels (I'm thinking a big, blocky Shaper face a la the Metroid II commercial).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Yeah, dess, he's referring to Space Invaders Revolution, not Extreme.

oh.

what is that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played Passage.

Boring and heteronormative.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck off; so aren't the majority of ueda/miyazaki works (heteronormative, that is) because this is a means of working with established storytelling conventions. it's not trying to offend you.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i was offended by the insipid hallmark card presentation. well, perhaps not offended, but worried, because so many people saw depth in a puddle and i feared for their eternal souls.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
fuck off; so aren't the majority of ueda/miyazaki works (heteronormative, that is) because this is a means of working with established storytelling conventions. it's not trying to offend you.

No, it's that it tries to make a "meaningful statement" and well, I just don't think it does it very well. It's something that's been attempted in a more successful and nuanced way in just about every medium, so I don't understand why a videogame attempting this gets a free pass regardless of the end result*. The graphical effects are quite nice, though.

Admittedly I said heteronormative because I knew that people would shit their britches with self-righteous rage. This is what happens when people over-attach themselves**.

PS: Use of italics as a rhetorical maneuver is only marginally off of using all-caps.

* - And part of the reason why I would single out Passage as opposed to Miyazaki is because Miyazaki isn't really that abstract. It's trying to tell a story and the importance of the personal experience of the observer isn't that important. Passage, on the other hand, is about the player and while the concept of getting old and dying is pretty universal, having you always be the guy meeting a girl and always having the girl die before the guy gives me some cognitive dissonance. This is nit-picking though, as noted above, I was mainly trying to be a jerk.

** - Which funnily enough, is kind of what Passage is trying to get to.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
JasonMoses wrote:
Yeah, dess, he's referring to Space Invaders Revolution, not Extreme.

oh.

what is that?

The first remake of Space Invaders for the DS, which apparently isn't very good at all. There's also a game called Space Invaders Evolution for the PSP! Pretty damned confusing.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lestrade"]"Game Deco"
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
actually, i was offended by the insipid hallmark card presentation. well, perhaps not offended, but worried, because so many people saw depth in a puddle and i feared for their eternal souls.

Yeah it's not that hot. I liked it ok but that's it.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The girl dies first in Passage? I thought it was the guy!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had the girl die, then you wander around more slowly and then "you" die.

And then it craps up your desktop because you were running it in windowed mode. That might be a multiple monitors thing though.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does everyone think about Photopia? Too sentimental? It was one of the first games I played that moved me, years and years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photopia made me cry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Passage is heteronormative because it's quasi-autobiographical.

I actually like Passage a lot, I think it's genuinely sad and also a little clever in its use of traditional video game iconography. I especially like its scope. It's just as long as it needs to be to tinker with it in a couple of plays and then move on with your life.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind sentiment, mind you. Passage just didn't flip my switches that way. And it's not like I don't believe something simple can't say something profound either.

In other news, I'm at the final battle in Half-Life 2. Even if it treats jumping a lot better than other FPSs do, I'd really like to see more games that get rid of the "jump" button altogether*.

* - Hell, in non-FPSes as well. There's no good reason for one to be in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance either.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish more FPS characters bent their knees when jumping.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I feel this way because I am bad at jumping, regardless of perspective -- there's something fair about falling down a pit in Super Mario Bros. because well, that's the point and I'm not good at it and I can move on with this. In HL2 there's an extra level of frustration just because I can point a gun into the pit as I plummet into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 61 of 85

Jump to: