The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The RL thread OR: Rogue is a fraud! The BAM-Like thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Jackals, Worm?

What about Jackals?

Even someone like me who finds the UI of ADOM to be nicer than most of what else is out there has to admit that it's a hugely buggy piece of shit. Lots of us are sick of shit that's not buggy in Nethack too though.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
bleak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bailey, I like to play 1.0.0, so jackals aren't an issue for me. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Jackals? My issues are the "high risk, high reward" algorithm cave, and that you need to deal with overhead encounters when you just want to fucking explore.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
bleak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.1.1 has a bit of an issue with monster experience. When you kill x amount of monsters, that species of monster becomes stronger. Since you tend to kill somewhere in the multi hundreds of jackals per game, they can become a bit overwhelming. Granted I've played every version of the game and never encountered this problem, but evidently it's real for some people.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mainly a problem when you've taken a lot of them out and you encounter werejackals, or jackals in the overworld which can summon more jackals, since they get to summon more as the result of poweroing up and all of them that get summoned are the more powerful ones which can howl for more powerful jackals. I've actually had an overworld encounter that had me passing out from starvation because the jackals would just not keep coming.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
bleak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when can jackals summon jackals? It sounds like you're a little confused.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is making me play more Angband. I am currently leaving a pile of human mage corpses at 50' (mages start with being able to cast magic missile twice and then running/chucking flasks of oil over their shoulder).

I wish I could remember how to set up term windows.
bleak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that mages benefit largely from standing by the stairs at all times, in early levels where magic points are a huge commodity. Also you can generally melee things on the first level provided that they aren't Grip and Fang.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you're above level one though. Getting that first experience level is key.

Human Mage is actually the only class that I've beaten the game with, don't know why I'm playing them again. I was trying Dwarven Priests for a while; they always seemed to get killed sometime in the early clvel 30's though.

PS - Term windows are [=] then [W], woo!
bleak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the real problem iwth mages, at least for me, is orc vaults early on. god it's so easy to make a fatal mistake when you're clearing those out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty easy to make a fatal mistake with a mage period, since they're so horribly fragile. I'm treating my current one like a Faberge egg after I'd lost half-a-dozen or so right in a row due to trying to power-level. I'm hoping to get to the point where I can get Identify.
sediment

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mages being tough seems to be a trend with bamroguebamlikes overall. every mage i play has a ridiculous short lifespan, and i'd like to pretend i know how to keep a fragile character around since i often play thiefly types!

i've got a pet necromancer going in crawl right now, and he totally sucks at life and i spend most of the fights he's in fleeing until i've got the mp to cast vampiric drain. really puts a lid on the amount of time i actually want to spend playing crawl.

if i didn't have a "one character at a time" rule i'd roll something more interesting in a heartbeat.

ps i've never played angband, please tell me more about it so i can develop yet another gaming addiction to elicit ridicule from my housemates

bleak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angband is supremely random. The only static thing is the fact that there's a town up above the first level of the dungeon. there's no level memory, and you'll often find your self scumming for gear or levels before progressing. Because there are no persistent levels, vertical navigation entails finding a new up or down stair each and every level you come across, unless you have plenty of Word of Recall scrolls. That's always advisable though. The difficulty curve is highly misleading. In my experience, it starts out insanely easy, like in the early early game, then when you gain a few levels, the difficulty makes a huge jump, which then plateaus until the difficulty rises again, but this time it's a steady skyrocket toward either victory or death. Playing Angband is extremely formulaic, to the point that people have written programs to beat the game for them. I don't remember the details of combat but from what I remember, ranged attacks are basically vital. More blows per round is preferable over pure damage, especially with ego weapons(1), and always carry phase door scrolls. there are certain points in the game where if you proceed further down without resistance X or item Y you will die. character generation and gameplay is very min/maxy, often ending your character with maxed out every stat, and ridiculously powerful items. the ID system is a bit of a bitch, unless you're a mage, and there are some cool dungeon features, such as level feelings and vaults and things like that. UnIDed items at the beginning of the game, especially potions and rings, are almost universally negative in effect. most of them are random in appearance, though some are static(2). An interesting thing about Angband is that light is an issue early game. Some of the items that generate light only generate 1 or 2 squares of light radius, which as you can imagine severely hinders visibility in tight corridors(3). There are items that you can find that will give you more, and of course, spells and items that will light up areas. Another interesting tangent on that is that some monsters are vulnerable to light, so keep that in the back of your mind. Anyway, uh, I guess the only thing left to mention here is the experience rates. Each class/race you pick has a acertain experience multiplier, so whatever you do, don't pick a dunadan mage unless you have near infinite patience.

1. lighter weapons always attack more, see angband's homepage for formulas re: melee combat

2. potions of water are always clear potions and potions of salt water are always cloudy grey or something near to that.

3. Rooms are almost always ambiently lit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
2. potions of water are always clear potions and potions of salt water are always cloudy grey or something near to that.

Potions of salt water change from game to game. You may be thinking of Icky Green Potions, which are always Potions of Slime Mold Juice. Or Light Brown Potions, which are always Potions of Apple Juice.

Quote:
3. Rooms are almost always ambiently lit.

This is mostly true at the top of the dungeon. As you go lower, this flattens out to a more even split between lit and non-lit rooms.

This is a pretty good Angband writeup.
sediment

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, angband seems really intense.

... i like intense!

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"intense" being another word for "cheap"?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are BL games that we're discussing here, anna.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
"intense" being another word for "cheap"?

Cheap in terms of the insta-deaths? You don't really have to learn too much in order to avoid those, although to be fair, you will probably have to invest a fair amount of time either playing the game or reading about it online before you figure that stuff out. So I could see why one would find it "cheap" to die from a Drolem breath having invested 50 hours or so in a character.
bleak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have been playing one character for 50 hours then there is something wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
If you have been playing one character for 50 hours then there is something wrong.

I don't think so. Some people prefer a cautious style. I know somebody who's been playing for decades and his preferred playing style means that his characters average a couple of years each.
bleak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, whatever blows your hair back I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
Since when can jackals summon jackals? It sounds like you're a little confused.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that screen many a time.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
bleak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red d's are werejackals, which can summon jackals (grey d's). jackals can't summon jackals.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but his mistake comes simply from not seeing the werejackal, is my point.

bleak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. that'll happen when you play roguelikes in a like 300x300 terminal
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, SNAP!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't tell that was an OH SNAP because this thread may as well not be in English for all the sense it makes to me.
bleak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go play some BAMlike games, james!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, send me a patched rom of Shiren the Wanderer!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Cool, send me a patched rom of Shiren the Wanderer!

http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=shiren

That should be enough to get you started.

OR, just get the english version for the DS next month.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, the game hangs whenever I try to start a new file. Maybe I should use a different emulator from ZSNES.

Holy shit Table Mountain is big.
LordGek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Patrick Alexander wrote:
Hey what's the name of that Japanese sort-of-roguelike with the rather cute graphics that got put on PSP recently? I think there was something about it on Select Button not long ago? I saw it in a shop today but I don't want to buy the Japanese version if it doesn't have an English option so does anyone know if it has an English option and also I'm just curious about it generally.

I recommend just waiting until next month and picking up Shiren on the DS.

There you go! The wait is KILLING ME. While it looks like a lot of the translated monster names went a little too far on the "Pokemon Cute" side of things, its still just neat to be able to play this game in English (although I think I'm going to miss some of the Unofficial Patch translations which could use terms like "Bitch" and other more believable colloquialisms that I doubt will make it past Sega's Sensitivity Screeners)!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: