The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Crane Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: The Crane Game Reply with quote

Half Life 2 places an extreme emphasis on its perspective. Seeing the intricate world through Gordon's eyes, on Gordon's level seems to be the developers' primary design choice. By this I mean that each gameplay and story decision aligns itself to work best (or only) through the immediate, human-sized eyes of the protagonist.

Now, that was all a fluffy introduction, here's the point:

The most thrilling moment for me as a player so far--I just entered Nova Prospekt with my, er, buddies--involved the striking design choice to completely change that perspective in one isolated instance. I'm talking about the crane. For a few minutes, the physics of a world designed around its own physics (and around one mans negotiation of those physics) completely change with the new perspective. Immovable pieces of the mis-en-scene become playthings. All of a sudden you toy with the parts of the world that, until then, had established themselves as totally off-limits. Neat.

Are there other games that work so hard to establish a perspective only to break briefly all the rules of that perspective? The footage from the plane levels in Call of Duty 4 seems to be in the same vein, and quite humorously so.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought the plane section was (intentionally) chilling, myself.

crysis does this a few times, by sticking you in a vehicle in either first or third person. being in a vehicle of limited mobility (a la the end sequence with the vtols) is a huge changeover from being a badass superhero.

i'm sure there's a lot more, but none come to mind at the moment.

the end of the first devil may cry comes to mind, but that's also a change in mechanics.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hive in Anachronox.

Jarring, unexpected roller coaster ride.

I loved and hated it.

Many people had a serious problem with this part.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex, do you find that those moments in crysis add to the game? or do you just feel unfairly caged?

the way the crane broke the previous parameters of the game was exhilarating.
parkbench

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, is Anachronox worth it?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dhex, do you find that those moments in crysis add to the game? or do you just feel unfairly caged?

well, vehicles are a bit hard to drive in 3D, period, but the vtol section in particular was very tense and helpless, which fit the mood quite well.

now, whether they actually intended to make it tense that way or that's just how it came out cause vtols fly like shit, i don't know. but it worked for me.

the other segments are largely optional - though it was tremendous fun to try and set up a truck bomb attack on various bases. obviously not on-the-label type use, mind you. it does act as a kind of break.

in the cod series they're generally a more on-rails approach and fit to varying degrees of goodness. the cod4 ac130 segment was probably the single most memorable example in the series, if not in a whole lot of other series as well.

i too am curious about anachronox.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anachronox is epic.

Get it.

Just suffer through the boring parts.

Seriously, it's worth it.

It's huge, it's funny, it's semi-smart, it's semi-stupid.

It's a little old in the graphics.

Get it.

Planet Anachronox
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have done some thinking, there was one moment in Black that gave me the same feeling. I destroyed a few enormous fuel tanks.

Anyway, how could this concept translate to a third person game?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I remember really looking forward to Anachronox. It got really passed over in the whole DAIKATANA SUXXX furore.
Six

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never got through it, and i'm afraid i wouldn't have the patience for it these days. this is a shame, since it really is great!

someone (a former ion storm staff member, i think) made a full-length machinima film out of it by splicing the cutscenes and some chunks of gameplay together. it's a decent watch, though you miss out on a lot of the weird, funny stuff (no mention of loonies being the galactic currency, for starters.)
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played HL2 really so I don't know about this crane.
But it reminded me of this dockside crane w/ magnet in San Andreas, where you could (maybe you had to for a mission) get enemies to follow you in their car, then magnet them up and swing 'em around. The physics were pretty decent and the whole thing was rather fun.
Redeye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I haven't played HL2 really so I don't know about this crane.
But it reminded me of this dockside crane w/ magnet in San Andreas, where you could (maybe you had to for a mission) get enemies to follow you in their car, then magnet them up and swing 'em around. The physics were pretty decent and the whole thing was rather fun.

I think that was a construction site next to the gas station you can use as a save point.

GTA: SA had so much more stuff than GTA3/Vice City, but it wasn't tight.

I enjoyed it less than either of those.

Part of it is just that by the time it came out I was jaded/sated.

I hope GTA 4 will bring back the magic.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope GTA4 has a jet pack. That and the planes (which GTA4 won't have) made San Andreas a lot more fun for me.
Redeye

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
I hope GTA4 has a jet pack. That and the planes (which GTA4 won't have) made San Andreas a lot more fun for me.

It seems like it will be grittier, more realistic than previous GTAs.

So maybe a skyscraper infil/exfil using a powered collapsable hanglider would be more reasonable. Or a wingsuit

Add this and this and this, and you could be a criminal SpiderBatman.

Throw in scuba and surveillance gear and morphing multi-tools.

Playground New York.

Back to jetpack: jetpack vs. astin martin: the good part starts at 4:20-4:35

That could be an interesting mission.

Last edited by Redeye on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:01 am; edited 4 times in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that the producers have said 'you can't get a pink mohawk in GTA4'- that is, unlike previous installments you can't do things that go against the tone they're trying to create in this game. I think that's a shame, since half of the fun of GTA3 and GTA-inspired games like Dead Rising is that you have the freedom to be silly if you choose to. Actually, rebelling against the set tone of the game is half of the fun.

It's easy to work around, though- all they have to do is make it so if you do choose to walk into the Godfather's house in just your pants and a crash helmet, or whatever, he says 'hey, you gotta no respect, whaddthefuggaya doing in those stupid clothes, you mamaluc' and you can't see the godfather until you go home, shave your pink mohawk, and put some pants on. That way, they get to tell the story they want to tell without compromising the player's freedom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: