The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everything I know about FPS games I learned from John Romero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By kitsch I guess you could say I mean cheesy. This stuff is so early 90s!

The band that did the Durandal and Infinity themes, Power of Seven or System Seven, whatever they liked to call themselves, did they ever do anything else?

P.S. Yeah, Welt is sweet. A new album is due out next year, called Blurry Dotted I’s allegedly. I really need to find me some of cEvin Key's alt. project The Tear Garden that he did with Edward Ka-Spel of The Legendary Pink Dots.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, they were actually a real band, their real name was Psykosonik. I downloaded one of their albums, it was pretty medicore mid-90s techno though. I mean it was alright, but it was nothing like the Marathon tracks which were awesome in song form.

I'm going to listen to it again now to see if I like it any better now that I don't expect it to be the Marathon 2 theme remixed 12 times.

Last edited by Cycle on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I heard Rob Zombie did some of the Quake II soundtrack, too.

He did the music for the opening cinema, I think.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o1aGetl7cX0&feature=related

Starts at 2:21.

That's one economical piece of animation. It's just a flyover of all the assets they built for the skybox graphics, with a couple of shots of spaceships. And a planet and a nebula. Some asteroids. They barely had to do any work at all!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty crappy music! And crappy intro!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what Cycle, Sonic Mayhem kicked ass in Quake 2.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like Shadowgate doesn't suck, huh.

Here's another one to add to industrial artists + fps games (kinda): Vampire Bloodlines! Ministry even re-recoreded the vocals for SO WHAT with lyrics that had something to do with the game for the soundtrack! How sweet of them!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already mentioned that! Sad
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, oops! Aha, it was one of your stealth edits. Still! That was a good soundtrack, and fitted the game world perfectly, plus yeah, it was used in appropiate places. I really enjoyed the actual game soundtrack too (the stuff made by the actual music guys at the game company). I need to play this game again.

I looked up Power of Seven again, turns out I might have to look into them again:

Quote:
Power of Seven was a digital music content publisher headed by Paul Sebastien (also a member of electronic/alternative groups Psykosonik and Basic Pleasure Model). It was well-known for providing the music for several games, such as Bungie's Marathon 2: Durandal, Marathon Infinity, and Oni, and Raven Software's CyClones.

I remember liking the Oni soundtrack, and I used to have a copy of CyClones! What did I do with it. Anyway, guess I'll check out the guys other band just incase it's more like the stuff heard in Marathon, as it was actually Paul Sebastion that did the themes.

Last edited by Cycle on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH.

Stubbs the Zombie had a brilliant soundtrack (if you liked those sorts of bands). Bunch of HIP AND WITH IT bands covering 50s songs, plus one completely original song! Again, fit the the game perfectly. Shame the game got boring after an hour!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys other band is dance music, so I guess the Marathon themes are the only things of interest to me that he did Sad

also, I thought you meant FLA did the soundtrack for all those games, not Sonic Mayhem! This makes much more sense. I think Quake 3 is the only game I played where his music actually stood out and made me take notice, though.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh snap, I wanted to remember one more before I went to bed!

ZPC (Zero Population Count) featured the art of Aidan Hughes (of KMFDM cover art fame ALSO, he came up with the games concept) featured a soundtrack from Mark Baker and Paul Barker (known from Revolting Cocks and Ministry, respectively) and was a FPS! Also, guess what engine it used? The Marathon 2 engine!

Isn't it great when things come together.

Here is a collection of all the cutscenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98vuEmgYm9k

Had an awesome ad campaign, too. I should find that one commercial and scan it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Hell, yes! I think it's up on The Underdogs. Would it run in Aleph, do you think?

EDIT: It is.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I always preferred ohGr anyway.

man, i remember when his solo was finally going to come out on invisible and i was talking to a friend of mine who did press for them and it was like "well where's ogre?" and apparently the answer was "lost in la somewhere smoking crack." which explains his solo stuff.

key's post puppy career, however, clearly shows that him and goettel were the talented ones. download = amazing and even his solo stuff is always interesting. and plateau!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/11/20/id-confirms-quake-arena-ds/

Oh man, if this gets Wifi support, it's all over.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Oh I forgot, Fear Factory did the soudntrack for Carmageddon, though it was just their music with vocals removed (this game got me into Fear Factory, fit the game perfectly, so awesome)

Carmageddon got me into Fear Factory as well. It wasn't the first game to get me interested in bands, DooM did it since one of my friends said that one of the songs sounded like a Pantera one.

Cycle wrote:
ZPC (Zero Population Count) featured the art of Aidan Hughes (of KMFDM cover art fame ALSO, he came up with the games concept) featured a soundtrack from Mark Baker and Paul Barker (known from Revolting Cocks and Ministry, respectively) and was a FPS! Also, guess what engine it used? The Marathon 2 engine!

Isn't it great when things come together.

I remember playing the demo and not thinking much of it. There's a funny thing about ZPC, I could tell it used the Marathon engine despite only having heard of it but not having played it at that stage. That's how iconic Marathon is, I could recognize the engine without having experienced it.

Dracko wrote:
Front Line Assembly worked on the Quake III Arena soundtrack!

Quake III had a soundtrack?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Holy Hell, yes! I think it's up on The Underdogs. Would it run in Aleph, do you think?

EDIT: It is.

Unfortuantely, theunderdogs rip misses all of the awesome cutscenes. I also remember there being a game breaking bug in the rip, but that may have been due to new operating systems incompatability, I can't remember... I need to try the game again sometime.

A1 can only get around some of the menus, unfortunately. I would like to see it supported, mainly so the blocky graphics of the sprites (one of the bigger complaints) were smoothed out!

Quote:
key's post puppy career, however, clearly shows that him and goettel were the talented ones. download = amazing and even his solo stuff is always interesting. and plateau!

I haven't tried any of his stuff, I'll have to check it out. Welt really is an amazing album, though. On the other hand, his follow-up album was quite underwhelming. Here's hoping the third is awesome.

Quote:

lol looks like someone didn't pay for his copy lol! I actually didn't pay for mine until they released the gold edtion of the game for ten bucks which I still haven't opened since I have a perfectly good pirated copy. soundtrack wasn't even ripped!

Quote:
I remember playing the demo and not thinking much of it. There's a funny thing about ZPC, I could tell it used the Marathon engine despite only having heard of it but not having played it at that stage. That's how iconic Marathon is, I could recognize the engine without having experienced it.

I don't think it was really iconic at that point (except to mac gamers), but it may have been to you since Hyper mentioned the game pretty frequently. Their review of Marathon 2 was surprisingly intelligent.

ZPC is an odd one, it's the kind of game I expect to have a cult following, but doesn't. Reviews were extremely mixed, some hated it with a fiery passion, while others praised it despite its flaws, such as the surprisingly positive review in Next Generation which gave it four stars out of five.

It's actually pretty hilarious, there is an in-depth, well researched FAQ on the game at gamefaqs, but the guy who wrote it hates the game [so] much and just rips on it for the entire thing. He's obviously a fellow vidmaster, and while many of his complaints are valid, I think he was a little too harsh especially since some of the same complaints could have been leveled at Infinity.

The game felt like a Marathon 2 TC, and you had to be accustomed to many of the mechanics and quirks of Marathon to get anywhere, enemy and weapon balance was non-existent (though the latter was only a problem in multiplayer, which looked horrible judging from the included demos) among other problems. Oh right, and it has the worst save system ever. Basically, the people hired to design the levels and mechanics were obviously big Marathon fans, but didn't quite understans how to take the engine and mechanics and make them work cohesively in a new game.

I still loved it. I loved the audio, the graphics, and most of the level design was pretty tight (aside from the sewers) with good enemy placement despite what the guy says in the FAQ, the unbalanced weapons were hilarious, and I had no problem navigating levels and palying the game as a Marathon Vidmaster. Also there is a Kills Per Minute meter, plus I love the concept of the main character and the world its set on. Basically, you play Jesus on his second coming, and bring about armageddon on those non-believers in a world created from mass-consumerism and in a nazi-like society.

It's a game that was thought up and created by an artist, and it shows. Levels are epic, there are enemies that serve no purpose but to be slaughtered such as Bureaucrats (though later on they'll plead for mercy, only to shoot you when your back is turned) employees are depicted as zombies (oh ho!), and basically it's a game where ideas and art preside over design, thus it's a bit of a mess of a game, but it's certainly very playable and enjoyable. I played through the whole damn game and loved it, for all its flaws. One of the earlier cases of an artist using videogames as expression, even if the technology couldn't yet match the ideas in his mind.

Aidan expressed plans to turn the game into a movie, but unfortunately I haven't heard anything about it for a long time. Shame, I think it would be awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Quote:

lol looks like someone didn't pay for his copy lol! I actually didn't pay for mine until they released the gold edtion of the game for ten bucks which I still haven't opened since I have a perfectly good pirated copy. soundtrack wasn't even ripped!

Man, I got me retail CD on the shelf next to me. I can't even remember the Quake III soundtrack, either I had it turned off or the sounds of gunfire and rockets drowned it out.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think it was really iconic at that point (except to mac gamers), but it may have been to you since Hyper mentioned the game pretty frequently. Their review of Marathon 2 was surprisingly intelligent.

I thought it was pretty iconic since as far as I saw it it was the game for the Mac just as DooM was the game for the PC. I'd go as far to say that Marathon was even more a game than DooM was and that's practically the only non-freeware PC game I play these days. Well, that and HeXen though that week with Portal was sure swell. If I had heard of DooM but had played one of the other games that used its engine I might not have been able to tell and DooM was the fucking daddy of violence simulators. Maybe Marathon just sticks out too well, or not much of the engine was changed or added to.

Quote:
I love the concept of the main character and the world its set on. Basically, you play Jesus on his second coming, and bring about armageddon on those non-believers in a world created from mass-consumerism and in a nazi-like society.

That concept's really cool but I kind of missed the part about Jesus taking a .44 to the back of the head or descending into a spinning well of blood. Maybe I was studying the wrong bible in school.

Also the part with all the travel tubes, Jesus really loved his travel tubes.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well obviously they took some creative liberties, just like they did with the matrix! besides, jesus hasn't come for the second time yet, he might bust some skulls next time around. (I guess I forgot to mention, the game is about the messiahs second coming, as he was in stasis out in a space coffin for reasons I forget).

the cutscene with jesus getting shot in the back of the head is one of the death animations, iirc.

i still think the intro cutscene is fucking badass. love the music!

Last edited by Cycle on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'm not sure what you're trying to say with your second paragraph, there.

Furthermore, here is the original Descent soundtrack:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/frv4gk

It's totally pimp. Good ol' mid 90s industrial rock, though you can tell it's videogame music. Still awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how he arrives in a coffin. I would have thought he'd take the bus or something. Or the train, just not in Sydney or he'll never get here.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink Teddy Bear wrote:
http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/11/20/id-confirms-quake-arena-ds/

Oh man, if this gets Wifi support, it's all over.

Great, they can do that but they couldn't make a version that would run on my p200, jerks
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle, you should read Atomika.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I will!

Here is a video of the first level in ZPC by the by, the guy playing sucks though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx3M3230Tik&feature=related

I love how a choir bursts into a chorus when you find a secret, like at the start. YOU FOUND AMMO! PRAISE THE LORD!

I need to play it again... I remember why I stopped playing last time, I hadn't save for a long time and was like FUCK THAT. See, to save, you must find and use SAVE ORBS. It was such a terrible save system! Held the game back more than anything else.

SPEAKING OF GAMES THAT USED THE MARATHON 2 ENGINE, there were four others!

First, Marathon Infinity obviously! DUH!

Prime Target, which was mac only, which was a mix between Marathon, Duke Nukem and Die Hard. They added lots of new features to the endinge, such as ducking, jumping, destructable environments, bullet holes and blood splatters in walls, basic inventory, and the ability to go back and forth between levels.

The game started in an office building, you find your friend has been murdered and the building is over-run by terrorists, it's up to you to kill them all, find items to sovle the myster of your friends death and figure out what's going on. Had level design that actually looked like stuff, like Duke, and was a pretty entertaining blast. Like Die Hard!

Damn, can't find a screen, but check out the hilarious cover art:

http://www.bestdamnpodcastever.com/primetarget.png

Damage Inc, for both mac and windows, a squad-based military game before they were popular. Basically, it played like Marathon except you had a group of BOBs you could actually command. They were the best parts of the game, each with their own personality and one-liners, and if one died, they were gone for good and you'd have to get a new member for the next mission. All dead? You're on your own!

In the early missions you could just send them to search and destroy, cleaning out the level and letting you explore, but later levels required careful use of them or you'd all get killed. Featured awesome levels, guns and missions, I had lots of fun with this game. The ending always interested me - it's a recorded rant by the madman you just killed, and I'm not sure what it was supposed to make you feel...

The guy who made it went on to make both of The Suffering games and a bunch of other titles.

Wish I could find a better screen, but oh well! The guy who made the game is also totally a cool guy, I've spoken to him a few times, and he made his earliest game, a funky Ultima style RPG, freeware. I should really check out one of the suffering games...

Wheels!, for both mac and pc, was a game where you were a disabled kid rolling around in a wheelchair who could hurt himself by slamming into walls, and got attacked by evil clowns.

It was actually created as a training device. See, the idea was to hook a joystick up to a chair, emulating an electric wheel chair, and the game was designed to train them in handling them so they didn't run into walls or get beat up by clowns in real life.

BOY, I'M SURE ENJOYING THIS ONE MAN THREAD.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
http://www.bestdamnpodcastever.com/primetarget.png

Holy shit! That looks like a most glorious of trainwrecks. His eyebrows are grey but his hair is black. Why? Who knows, I am too busy looking at his hella creased strides.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's hard to believe, but the game was actually good! Had some hilariously bad FMV cut-scenes though!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colour me surprised as I'm getting a Lethal Tender vibe from it.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I remember that game. It's been a long time since I played Prime Target, I can't remember if it was tounge in cheek or not. Whatever, it was fun blowing away men in business suits.

Unfortunately, I no longer own a machine capable of running the game, and there aren't any decent Mac PPC emulators last time I checked.

In other news, I just discovered a new shortcut in one of the toughest levels in Marathon Infinity, allowing you to skip most of the level and only face one dude via some fancy side strafing and eviromental observation, wish I knew about this when we co-oped. It's cool though, it actually has two paths; either take the short cut and just get out, or go run for a shittonne of ammo, but this will make you face a bunch of incredibly tough dudes that I didn't even know where on this level.

Man this game is so awesome.

I just betrayed Tycho and he teleported me into space Sad luckily Durandal saved me (presumably) even though Durandal doesn't know who I am OR DOES HE? Yes he does, because he screwed you over in the first game and that's why you're here now instead of having already won the war as in Marathon 2!

Complex plot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo hombres, I just found my Wolfenstein 3D, Blake Stone and Chasm CDs as well as my Fortress Of Dr. Radiaki floppies. I am going to install them right now, I am bleeding with excitement already. But not Dr. Radiaki because it's really poo. DOSBox is going to be well sick of me before the night is over.

Peace out brothers.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks, just call me Mr. Destiny.

I wonder if anyone other than Dess will know what I'm talking about.

I bought Fortress Of Dr. Radiaki from cashies, played it once then sold it on ebay the nexy day. I never tried Chasm, it's one of the bigger holes in my FPS experience.

Blake Stone is hilarious because there is that one guy who's right leg gets blown off no matter how you kill him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I remember a Prime Target review in a gaming mag when it first came out. Still managed to leave an impression. Damage, Inc. looks pretty fantastic too. Let's see if they're anywhere online.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with all these Mac game? Hook me up with some awesome un-heard of Windows FPSs.

Like Ken's Labyrinth!
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink Teddy Bear wrote:
Like Ken's Labyrinth!

Or Operation: Bodycount!

This Descent score is something else! Who did it and what's the tracklist, if any?
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Pink Teddy Bear wrote:
Like Ken's Labyrinth!

Or Operation: Bodycount!

Or Z.A.R.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh man, I remember a Prime Target review in a gaming mag when it first came out. Still managed to leave an impression. Damage, Inc. looks pretty fantastic too. Let's see if they're anywhere online.

The PC version of Damage Inc is at underdogs, but as usual they did a CD-RIP where they take out all the cool stuff to save space and bandwidth, this time the voices. If you try it out, I could try to extract the voices file from my mac version of the game and see if it works with the windows version (which it should, though I'd have to get the game from the next time I see my parents).

Not only do they add so much personality to the game, in addition to letting you know how your troops are doing (without the voice file they can't tell you that they're under enemy fire and stuff), but Doug Zartman, voice of BOB in marathon, provides the voice of one of the characters! It's easy to guess which one.

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=4422

I should get in contact with the guy who made it and see if he'll ever release the source code so we can see it ported to A1... it should work on modern operation systems fine though, like ZPC (mostly) does.

Prime Target was Mac only and PPC, so unless you have an old mac lying around, I don't see any way of playing it Sad

You can totally download a demo of WHEELS! which works fine in modern operating systems last I checked!

http://www.rjcooper.com/wheels/more.html

Quote:
What's with all these Mac game? Hook me up with some awesome un-heard of Windows FPSs.

Like Ken's Labyrinth!

Prime Target is the only Mac-only game I've talked about!

Also, everyone knows about Ken's Labyrinth! He actually released the source code and there are now opengl ports! Finally, you can play the game perfectly on modern systems with enhanced graphic capabilities! The game is also free now, and you can get both the port and the game from Silvermans site:

http://www.advsys.net/ken/klab.htm

The pirated version of the game I have included a save just before winning the slot machine on the first level. That was handy!

Also, we all know this guy went on to create the rather wonderful BUILD engine for Duke Nukem 3D, right? Guy came a long way!

Quote:
This Descent score is something else! Who did it and what's the tracklist, if any?

Told you it was awesome! There are like seven people credited to the soundtrack, but someone at SB claimed to know the "guy" who did the soundtrack, so maybe I'll ask over there (though it means I'll have to come out of SB posting retirement). I haven't ever been able to find an official tracklist, all I can tell you this:

Track 2: Title and menus
Track 3: Mission briefings
Track 4: End level cut-scene
Track 5: Credits
Track 6 - 13: Level tracks (track 11 totally sounds like Closer for the first 20 seconds)
Track 14: Bonus redbook track that's not featured in the game.

Interestingly enough, the Mac version (which I have) is the only version with this redbook audio soundtrack. The PC version has the soudntrack, but it was all in MIDI form and didn't sound nearly as awesome, and the PSX version used a different format and I'm not sure if it even had the same soudntrack. MAC FOR THE WIN, ONCE AGAIN.

Quote:
Operation: Bodycount!

Good ol' Capstone. Corridor 7 was widely regarded as the worst FPS game of all time, but it was actually better than most of their other efforts.

Quote:
Z.A.R.

Just looked up this game and don't think I've heard of it, more info plz.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing the Operation: Bodycount demo and being terribly offended. What an awkward game: Levels too dark, booby trapped bodies and beefed up A-RABZ and also giant rats what

Now I feel like playing the Catacomb games for some reason.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact: the second Catacomb Trilogy game was the first FPS to feature a HUB system.

Also, despite what many believe, id designed the original Catacombs 3D game, but only their engine and some of their assets were used in the follow-up trilogy, which they otherwise had nothing to do with.

They were pretty fun games!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on the topic of ZOMBIE (company that made ZPC) did you know that the creators of Tetris created a FPS?

It's true!

It was called ICE & FIRE, which my dad picked up because one of the box quotes was "THE THINKING MAN'S DOOM", while I picked up another Zombie game called Locus, a first-person future sports game (both were in the bargain bin).

Anyway, you are sent to deal with some crazy alien infestation on a moon somewhere, I can't remember the details. Exploring the surface of the moon was done via FMV and was on rails, and finding the correct location will enter FPS mode!

There are only two weapons, a heat blast and an ice blast. Levels are initially completely devoid of life - all monsters, items and NPCs are frozen in ice, and you have to try to find all the things/people you need to get the station up and running via trial and error (it's all randomised each play) and monsters can either be destroyed (with no risk of accidently letting them loose later) or refrozen (which would get you a better ending, since the game had an ENVIRONMENTAL MESSAGE behind it). If you had to flee for health or ammo, the enemies would often go off to unfreeze their friends, and returning to the area would often result in a dozen more enemies flying around, which I thought was cool. The levels were huge and quite impressive from what I remember, with different attributes for different areas.

The engine for this game fucking sucked, it was slow as all hell on my computer despite it being fairly high end in the day, but it didn't stop me from playing the game and enjoying it (though I enjoyed every gamn back in those days).

Anyway! Another interesting game from zombie that had concepts and ideas that fascinated me, even if the resulting game was a bit toshy.

In conclusion, Tetris was better.

Couldn't find screens again, here is the back of the box:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie are currently working on a game around ex-Navy SEAL author Richard Marcinko called Rogue Warrior: Black Razor, were you play a stranded team of SEALS in North Korea, heading south, lead by the man himself.

What this basically means is they plan to make a strategic FPS where you have to loot equipment and make sure your mean don't die and have a slightly more hardcore Clancy-esque plot with more creative profanity. At least I hope so. Seems to channel Operation Flashpoint to some extent. There's the sequel to that, Dragon Rising, to look forward to.

Man, Operation Flashpoint and its add-ons were awesome times.

On a similar note, Soldier of Fortune: Payback looks fucking awful.

I wonder if that Konami SAS simulator, The Regiment, was any good?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie made a bunch of rather boring games after they experimented with all these crazy concepts, which was a bit dissapointing. I guess they needed to make money, though. That new game sounds like it could be good.

I wish Armed Assault was better Sad though, the latest patch (included with the expansion pack I reviewed) makes the game a million times better, just not as good as Operation Flashpoint, plus the modding community hasn't picked it up as much as they did with Flash.

The first Soldier of Fortune was fun until the gimmick wore off, and the second was way too stiff for my liking. I'm not too interested in a third. Plus, Raven are the kings of medicore FPS games (though they have done some good stuff).

Konami made a SAS simulator? Never even heard of that one...

Eurogamer says:

Quote:
If Rainbow Six is the thinking man’s action game, then The Regiment tries to be the action man’s thinking game. But while Konami's first stab at tactical action delivers a furiously paced take on the genre, it's an all-too brief one which stumbles on the bootlaces of AI issues, laggy multiplayer and frustrating mission design. Not shockingly awful, but certainly not shock and awe.

5/10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Cycle keeps owning me with these huge blocks of text.

Thank you sir, I owe you my sooooul!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit.

(NSFW)

Also:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle and friends, you are keeping it real in this thread. I played the demos of both Prime Target and Damage Inc, since playing demos of games for the Mac is what you did when you had a Mac and not much money in the mid-90s. Also, the demo of ZPC as well.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slonie wrote:
Cycle and friends, you are keeping it real in this thread. I played the demos of both Prime Target and Damage Inc, since playing demos of games for the Mac is what you did when you had a Mac and not much money in the mid-90s

really? and there i was pirating games off hotline like a chump Sad also prime target and damage inc (and battlegirl) each came free on the cover of some mac magazine! it's how i got copies of these games. all excellent titles.

slonie prime target was pretty cool, amirite, back me up here buddy. the cover art didn't help my case.

also i just downloaded damage inc (an iso, so it still has voices) and it's still fun, with solid level design, weapons and interesting groups to fight.

the ai is of course rather dated, and they tend to get in the way or shoot you in the back in tight areas. fortunately, they were smart enough to set most of the game in wide open areas, but there are a few tight areas where it's best to leave your men outside and clean the area out yourself, or send them in front of you, etc, basically you need to babysit your men in moments like this, but thankfully the command interface is so simple and easy to use that it's not a problem that often. in short, it could be much worse.

i just finished the first set of missions and killed the cult leader, some crazy chick! fun times.

also the game works perfectly in vista, so that's cool.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko, I'm playing Gunmen Chronicles now based on your brief mention earlier. The intro is a total rip-off of Half-Life, but manages to be way cooler because it's in space.

Kinda hilarious how everyone has the same face texture. Looking fun so far!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just beat COD4, it would be fun to check out Damage Incorporated again...

And yeah, I probably got the demos off of MacAddict CDs!

I beat Marathon 2 back then, but never beat the first one because the machine I had at the time was too slow to get past about level 7. (I don't even remember if I already told this story!)

As for more recent games, I was always intrigued with at least what I read about Command and Conquer Renegade and I'm Going In (aka Project IGI). Whether or not they were good or not, I don't know!
Slonie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and while I'm at it, let me tell you about a game you never played, probably: Shadow Ops: Red Mercury.

Sure, it's a little ragged especially a few years later, but check out the way that Call of Duty 4 takes at least two things from it. 1) Missions that take place in flashback! and 2) The events of Shock and Awe,

Okay, I admit it. My friend worked on that game so he got a copy for free and I played that. And by work on, I mean "tested," so there's no hurt feelings when knocking on it. But he does have some funny stories. In fact, I'll save that, and the even more intersting story behind the "Hollywood writer" originally tapped to pen the game's script.

Oh wait, three things. 3) Gauntlet-style infinite enemy spawns! (thanks Penny Arcade for the analogy).

Actually I'll tei it back into the thread: Zombie made it! They made ZPC!

Excellent score too. Better than the game...
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I used to read MacAddict, that was such a fun magazine. I still got all my issues, but they were unforunately damaged by moisture due to my stupidness, but are still well readable. I should grab all the demo disks from my parents or they'll throw them out... those things were gold mines! ALSO, I meant, the full versions of Prime Target and such were included with some Mac magazine! MacFormat or MacWorld, can't remember which. I also got Weird! free with MacFormat.

Slonie do you still use a mac or do you own a PC? I could hook you up, but I don't know how the Mac OS is with running older software these days. But I know of a paradise of classic mac games... you probably know about it, though. I use "though" too much.

Shadow Ops was actually a ZOMBIE game, whoa! I haven't played it, but please tell me your stories and more about the game!

EDIT: You added the stuff about Zombie! The soundtrack was better in ZPC or Shadow Ops? I wouldn't really argue if you said ZPC to be honest, though I think the art, gameplay and music all work together well to create a lovely feeling of mass murder salvation.

You could destroy the monster generators in Gauntlet! In CoD you have to trigger the next scripted event, not quite the same thing.

I know this one guy who swears by Command and Conquer Renegade, I got it for free with Freedom Force and didn't dig it. Can't remember why... it wasn't terrible and even had some good ideas, but it felt medicore on the whole. Didn't help that I wasn't a C&C fan.

Project IGI has a small, devoted cult following (though apparently they all hated the second game) and I hear really good things about it, but I haven't played it yet even though I have a copy sitting on my shelf, was part of some collection with a bunch of other games.

UPDATE ON GUNMEN CHRONICLES

The training area on the asteroid was fun, I like how they made basic training fun (ducking, jumping) by intergrating them with cool scripted events.

Some of the different weapon modes are really awesome, this game has some fun weapons alright, but I imagine trying to change any settings during a gunfight would be a nightmare. This is why other developers kept it to two fire modes!

Landed on the planet, loved the art direction and harmless dinosaurs, and the following scripted events were also really cool (lots of people dying in humourus ways), this is basically if Half-Life just wanted to be more like an action movie instead of an "experience". The game is certainly rough around the edges (I found it odd I wasn't given a gun until I picked one up off a dead friendly soldier for one thing!), but this certainly looks like it's going to be a fun ride. I hear it's short too, which is always a plus in my books (well, sometimes). Stopped playing after we were attacked, plan to go back later. Hope it stays interesting!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Slonie, you ever play Sensory Overload? I think it was the only other commercial mac-centric FPS (PiD was already mentioned!) and it wasn't very good, but still! It was the first FPS on the system, IIRC:

Quote:
Reality Bytes has had an interesting struggle for identity over the course of their game designing career. Their first title, Sensory Overload, came when Doom was the #1 selling game in the history ofwell, of anything, really, and the Mac was starved for first-person 3D shooters. (Yes, there was a time, and it wasn't that long ago.) Sensory Overload was the first 3D shooter on the Mac to try for a reality-based scenario; the enemies were digitized photos of human actors, the levels were set in office corridors and subway terminals, and the music was modern and upbeat.

The game's reception was less than overwhelming, but this isn't terribly surprising. Rather than try to create a new game, Reality Bytes had pulled elements from several other titles (the real-time aspect of Ultima Underworld, the theme of Doom, and so on) and blended them together with a few unique touches, such as the item finder that aided players in the discovery of (much-needed) powerups.

Then there were shareware games like Avara, which I hope to write an article about one day, Giza (that game set in a pyramid that isn't PiD) and those 3D Catacomb games... you ever play those?

Actually, I'm remembering so many mac FPS games now. I better stop!

This thread will never die.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the thread where we were talking about how terrible Rare's character designs are, right?

http://media.1up.com/media?id=3439347
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Dracko, I'm playing Gunmen Chronicles now based on your brief mention earlier. The intro is a total rip-off of Half-Life, but manages to be way cooler because it's in space.

Kinda hilarious how everyone has the same face texture. Looking fun so far!

That is because it started as a mod for Half-Life. I remember around when it was being developed, everyone was really hyped about it because it sounded really fucking cool and it was turning into quite a major TC, Valve even gave them the support to make it a retail product. Then when it came out there was mass disappointment because of woah, hype! and everyone was all :( and probably went back to playing Op Force.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 8 of 23

Jump to: