The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i've got my spine i've got my orange box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r.e.m. inspired thread titles are a must for any respectable forum these days.
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i want to rename this thread "i've got my spine i've got my orange box".

yes.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
the driving is notably improved in episode one.

ha.

hahaha i meant episode two but this statement stands

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i want to rename this thread "i've got my spine i've got my orange box".

o neos

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just watching the TFII taunts on youtube, and I really think these characters are going to be ones you remember for years to come. They've got a Street Fighter II level of memorability. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw action figures of these guys at some point.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is totally great is listening to all the taunts on Winamp one after the other in rapidfire succession. It's totally totally great. Like a fountain of great. In your ear.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

started episode two with commentary, because i thought at least it would be good to reaccquaint myself with how it opens. the episode seems to alternate between big clusters of commentary nodes and long periods without. what i did find interesting, in light of the recent conversation about replenishing health in half-life 2, is that the amount of health the player receives from the grubs depends on how damaged she is.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have finally played everything in the Orange Box. Beat the Half-Lives and Portal, and played some TF2 with some of you fine people a while back.

Currently I'm playing Episode 2 again with commentary enabled, and my only complaint is that I use the closed captioning and most of the time when a commentary node starts it chops off the top portion of text in the caption box. Not all the time, but most of the time. It didn't do this in Episode 1 and I can't tell if it did in Portal because I didn't play that with the captioning on.

I'm also stuck on the last advanced map in Portal. The big room with the turrets on raised platforms and one moving platform and you're stuck in there after hitting the switch and making part of the wall pop out to get in. I need to get over to the two rooms at the other end and I can't just ride the platform because the turrets will kill me if I do. I think I need to fling myself over there somehow, but the piece of floor that was at the bottom of the pit on the right side of the larger room is gone.

I really like all the games in this package, and I'm glad to see that I've been playing them for over a solid week now and am still not completely done with them. I still need to finish Eps. 2 w/ commentary, replay a few key areas in HL2/Eps. 1 to get some achievements, finish up with the advanced maps in Portal and go for some of the other challenges, and probably play another game of TF2 eventually. It's just staggering the amount of content they've put on this one disc. Best use of 60 bucks in a long time.

I feel like sending Gabe Newell a nice email.
fish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDGE gave the Orange Box a perfect score in issue 182.
2 tens in 2 months.

that annoys me somehow.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the other 10?
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Bioshock, I'm guessing?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a fat tax return so i guess i'll shell out for this stupid game.

shaper do you still play shadowrun?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he does go on about it whenever he plays team fortress.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:

Christ, no. Edge recognised how utterly flawed that was and how it hardly delivered on its promises.

The previous ten was for Halo 3. BioShock got an 8. I'd have given it a 7 if I was feeling generous.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halo 3 totally isn't worth a 10, either.

Hasn't EDGE lost its reputation by now? It seems to have gone so down hill.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they've gone over it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
The Great Unwashed wrote:

Christ, no. Edge recognised how utterly flawed that was and how it hardly delivered on its promises.

Not that I've played Bioshock or care too much about a number in a magazine, but I'm not sure that judging a game against its pre-release marketing hype--which is what all of Ken Levine's interviews were, even if they were from the horse's mouth--is a very justified way to come up with a review.

P.S. This is the Gamer's Quarter. Are we really pitching fits about the 1-10 rating of a game in a particular magazine? I still tend to like the way Edge reviews are written (although it frustrates me not to know who my reviewer is) and I would bet a more interesting discussion could occur here if someone pulled a quote from Edge's review rather than just relaying the score. I'd do it if mine had arrived yet.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair point. I still went in with low expectations and came out with System Shock 2.0 about nine years too late. In light of that, it wouldn't have deserved a 10 anyway.

It was heavily flawed, and frankly, I think a developers' intent should be considered as well. Otherwise, we're just wasting our time interviewing them or the like. When you promise all sorts of emergent innovations or even a true spiritual successor only to release a corridor shooter, you should be held accountable for it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who would have thought something ayn rand related would get dracko's ire? Smile

but back ont the topic of that box most orange or as i know it, "the shit i had to buy to play episode 2."

how long do you guys think it would take to marathon through hl, ep1 and ep2 in one sitting? seeing as i know what i know (which is enough) and probably playing on normal.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
shaper do you still play shadowrun?

I haven't but I can now that I've exchanged my bad disctray 360 for good one. I can also probably sway a few other people to play still as well.
dhex wrote:
how long do you guys think it would take to marathon through hl, ep1 and ep2 in one sitting? seeing as i know what i know (which is enough) and probably playing on normal.

On normal? Probably like 5-6 hours for HL2 and 2-3 hours for Ep1 (I haven't played Ep. 1 yet though). I'm about halfway through Anti-Citizen One playing on Hard and my clock just hit 5 hours. I've only had a few parts that I needed to replay more than once due to the difficulty. Normal was just way too easy, I don't recommend it dhex. Man up if you can, you'll still plow through HL2 on hard.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:

I'm also stuck on the last advanced map in Portal. The big room with the turrets on raised platforms and one moving platform and you're stuck in there after hitting the switch and making part of the wall pop out to get in. I need to get over to the two rooms at the other end and I can't just ride the platform because the turrets will kill me if I do. I think I need to fling myself over there somehow, but the piece of floor that was at the bottom of the pit on the right side of the larger room is gone.

Whatcha gotta do, see, is dispatch those turrets before trying to cross over. There's a way to, when you factor in the energy orbs that perpetually come out.

Oh yeah. dhex, what's your Steam ID?
I'll leave mine.

"rabeewilliams"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Probably like 5-6 hours for HL2 and 2-3 hours for Ep1 (I haven't played Ep. 1 yet though). I'm about halfway through Anti-Citizen One playing on Hard and my clock just hit 5 hours.

really? it took me ten hours to get through half-life 2 this most recent time, and i was playing on normal and hustling right through. it took me about an hour a chapter, and i have a hard time believing they could be done much faster without serious effort.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
who would have thought something ayn rand related would get dracko's ire? Smile

Man, you know that's not what this is about.

dhex wrote:

Last marathon I did with some buddies was Half-Life, Half-Life 2 and Episode One. Half-Life was the longer game. I more or less agree with Shaper.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Man, you know that's not what this is about.

eh dude for a good year every time she was mentioned in passing you ended up in the thread dropping hells bells hither and yon. (we can take this back into the bioshock thread if you want to bat it around some more)

Quote:
Man up if you can, you'll still plow through HL2 on hard.

well yeah but i mean that's a long marathon o' hl2 and that annoying battle in nova prospekt with the turrets. (though that's so much easier if you toss furniture down there to really barricade the shit out of stuff.

unlike everyone else on earth i actually really enjoyed the speedboat section. maybe cause my first playthrough i had no problems and it was like OH GOD SETPIECES THE SKY IS FILLED WITH SETPIECES

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, one of the reasons I didn't like BioShock is because they didn't push the Objectivist ideas far enough, ending on a flat note and turning the whole thing into a bog-standard "cap the evil bloke" twist. It isn't a matter of being agreeable: It's just that it's thoroughly uninteresting. Red Faction, at the least, maintained it's VIVA LA REVOLUTION ideal throughout.

But yes, this is for the other thread. I'll type something out there later.

Rand is still a cunt, of course.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Last marathon I did with some buddies was Half-Life, Half-Life 2 and Episode One. Half-Life was the longer game. I more or less agree with Shaper.

How long is HL1? I'm attempting it for my first time and find it inexplicably frustrating. Like, why are there so many jumping puzzles? Why am I required to walk on thin pipes over death height falls? ARGH! Anyways, it’s not as bad as the PS2 version of the game. I’m at “On a Rail” and at this point where there’s this stairway that’s blocked by two green metal boxes and I can’t jump on the lower one, and I can’t do anything else because there’s two of the red/white striped gates in the way. The green boxes/crates look like this infront of the stairway:

Code:
   []
[][]

It looks like I should be able to get on the one where there’s only a single crate high, but I can’t and there’s no boxes to drag over to use as a step. What the hell do I have to do? This game is so poorly structured at times honestly.
dhex wrote:
well yeah but i mean that's a long marathon o' hl2 and that annoying battle in nova prospekt with the turrets. (though that's so much easier if you toss furniture down there to really barricade the shit out of stuff.

Actually, I did that on my second try! The key is that you need to put the turrets inside that little area with you so that the combine soldiers have to come in to knock them over. Then you sit on one so that you take anyone out that comes in, and you keep the third turret right under the health so that it doesn't activate until the soldiers come in to take it out. Only one turret got knocked over the entire time.

Anyways, so far the hard parts for me have been: Other side of the underneath bridge and the two airships right after you get to nova prospekt with the sand lions in tow.

Also Dess: Outside a few sections I got through most in only 30 min or less. I was out of Ravenholm at the 2.5 hour point. I don’t think that I’ve been rushing or putting much “serious effort” into it. It’s just that it’s really easy to learn the enemy AI and what it will/won’t do. It also helps to abuse explosive barrels with the gravity gun, and knowing which guns to use for the most damage.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to use the shotgun whenever i can in all half-life 2 games.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotgun is good at close range for almost everything.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the shotgun is remarkable for it's close-range damage and for the way you get it in hl2.

oh padre, oh padre...

oh my steam name is dhex23 iirc i know the email is dhex23 AAAAAAAAT gmail.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotgun and the revolver are the only two guns I ever use in HL2 games. Maybe the crossbow if I'm out of ammo for the revolver.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not enough ammo in HL2 for the revolver. I'd use it more if there was.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i almost never use the revolver.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it for long range, and shotgun for close range.

All other weapons are pretty useless.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the revolver when i run out of shotgun ammo.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had good luck with the machine guns too. specifically the cool one that shoots those bumblebee balls of death.

perhaps i am just multifaceted and complex.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to use the machine guns only when facing large numbers of enemies, or large enemies.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that ball of death. The sub-machine gun (the first one you get) is too weak for my tastes. It uses too many bullets to kill too few people too slowly once you get to Ravenholm.

Best sandlion tactic on hard: grav-gun blast, 1 shotgun shot, then they're bug juice.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of antlions:

it was really jarring to encounter antlions as an enemy in episode one. the bug invasion of nova prospekt really endeared them to me. matt and i were talking about how dramatic your feelings toward them shift once you gain the bug pheromones. fighting them in episode one was difficult because i'd grown so attached to them and also because they're the most annoying enemy in the game. it's also fairly exasperating how often the antlions and zombies are reused in the episodes, regardless of location or place in the ongoing narrative.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the weapons are pretty much context-relevant. They originally figured the player should only be able to carry one weapon at a time, and it shows.

I don't get the hate for the SMG, and the pistol packs a nice punching sound. THough yes, I'd sooner use the shotgun, revolver or pulse rifle.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the pistol for most headcrabs in the game. For some reason I'm most effective against them with it while also not feeling like I'm wasting ammo.

Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the gravity gun. Boot them out of the way when they take a leap at you.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Halo 3 totally isn't worth a 10, either.

Hasn't EDGE lost its reputation by now? It seems to have gone so down hill.

EDGE always bugged me, I don't think it was ever that great. It had a good reputation based on the fact that it was the only magazine on the market (to my knowledge) affecting an air of taking this shit seriously, but now we have the internet and stuff like The Gamer's Quarter we don't really need it anymore.

Right. I have a few questions. Why has there been a sudden resurgence of interest in the work of Ayn Rand in the past few years? It was even mentioned in a Chris Ware story by a teenage girl who proclaimed it 'the best book she'd ever read'. Was it book of the month on Oprah, or something? Where has this all come from? Also, why do people love her so much? Why do people hate her so much?

N.B. I'm aware that she was the founder of objectivism and all that jazz, I just want to know why all this crap is happening now. I'd never heard of her before goons on the internet started mentioning her.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly all the weapons have good different uses. The crowbar is for headcrabs. The pistol is for barnacles. The magnum revolver is for sniping. The SMG is for firing SMG grenades (primary function is fairly naff). The shotgun is for close-quarters. The crossbow is for antlion guard and hunters. The combine rifle is for multiple foes. It's all good.

Admittedly I generally focus on the shotgun, and even more so the gravity gun because there's always so much shit lying around it's a much more efficient weapon than anything you're carrying. Especially once you get a good sawblade. Man I carry that thing everywhere until I can't carry it no more.

My friend tells me the best way to take down a hunter is to hold a physics object between you and it, let it fill the physics object with flechettes and then wing it back at the hunter for a boom-instant-kill. Also gives you the Payback acheivement of killing a hunter with its own flechettes. Nice!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I found a couple of times while playing through Episode 2 that Hunter AI seems to wig out if you get too close to them sometimes, so you can actually gleefully lay into them with the crowbar for maximum laffs while they squeal and try and focus on you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDGE is a bar in Coralville, IA. Very hardcore.

(I don't have the orange box yet. Sad((((( )

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Right. I have a few questions. Why has there been a sudden resurgence of interest in the work of Ayn Rand in the past few years?

I blame Bioshock. Also, you'd understand the hate a bit better if you read one of her books, but I don't really recommend that either.

fish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDGE used to be my bible.
as a kid, my dad bought me one of the very first issues saying "this is the bets gaming mag money can buy".

and i agreed.

but now it is totally lame.
an EDGE 10 used to mean god-like.
now they're giving them away monthly like they're going out of style.
which they are.

i met the guy who started the whole thing (forget his name) at a GDC party.
dude was a bit cocky.

"so, what do you do?"
"i started EDGE" *hands me his card*
he was cocky, i was impressed.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should have said "EDGE?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
you should have said "EDGE?"

in retrospect, yes.
aderack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/451/phantom_.php

This wasn't edited quite as oddly as the previous one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: