The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Halo 3: non-haters only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lestarde what happened to posting the ilovebees stuff somewhere
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best way to host a large Zip file?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a website like sendspace will let us grab it easily, but it won't be up forever. which sholdn't be a problem i guess?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I logged on to see what you guys were saying about this, but I guess you're all busy playing it Sad
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Cycle, I'll try to get this up sometime tonight. I'll include digital album artwork. This way I don't have to pay for the packaging and shipping of a bunch of discs.

I might jump in on some multiplayer tonight, but I imagine most of my time will be spent in the campaign.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be jumping in on this whenever my copy shows up in the mail, which will probably be tomorrow. So yes!
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I logged on to see what you guys were saying about this, but I guess you're all busy playing it Sad

Apparently my hours of playing in the beta and Halo 2 and Halo don't count for much, because after getting frustrated with the first chapter on Heroic I restarted on Normal, and I'm still dying left and right.

I'm feeling really ambivalent about the weapons selection. I tried a bunch of them out in the Forge, and while it's cool to have so many, there was more elegance to the guns even in Halo 2. Although I guess the kitchen sink approach makes more sense because you can have a limited selection available in most game modes, which makes the very minor variations a lot more important. In the campaign, for example, I didn't even see a plasma rifle until midway through the second chapter.

I like the new vehicles.
Slonie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

Apparently my hours of playing in the beta and Halo 2 and Halo don't count for much, because after getting frustrated with the first chapter on Heroic I restarted on Normal, and I'm still dying left and right..

The initial jungle level seems to start out at about where the difficulty left off in Halo 2's jungle stages. Jackal snipers EVERYWHERE. That shit is making me work harder than I expected (on Heroic).
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross-posted from SB:

I wrote:
There was one little cut scene where the staging and lighting were just so that I kept saying—to my wife, I guess, or maybe the cat—"Holy fuck. Holy FUCK."

I like it when that happens.

Also, the AI is great; I tossed a grenade into a pack of jackals and on first bounce they all huddled behind their shields and moved back some for cover. The smoothness of the whole deal was really impressive. The marines seem to have a lot more dialogue now, and it's all very entertaining. It's much more convincing; some folks are aggressive, some are nervous, etc.

Oh yeah, and I stumbled across a semi-hidden section of an area where a truly hilarious exchange happened between two marines. I'm pretty sure the voices were of Jaime Griesemer and another Bungie staffer. I'm looking forward to hearing Luke Smith in there somewhere.

The game seems to be chock full of these little touches; they add a lot.

Another helpful element: that look of awe you get every time a Marine sees you. They're all so stoked to see the Chief; it makes you want to play better, to live up to your role.

Finally: ripping plasma turrets from the ground, deploying an active camo shield to sneak behind a pack of enemies and then letting loose—it never gets old.

P.S. My mom saw a news report on the game last night (after I told her about it) and she sent me an email to say, "the graphics look awesome!" I love my mom.

I played for a few hours last night (sorry, Shaper; I didn't hop online because I played too late). Man, I had to force myself to quit so I won't just blow through the game in one sitting.

Favourite moment: launching a Brute Chopper up a ramp and onto a landing, hopping out in mid-air, sticking it with a plasma grenade as I sprinted out of the way, and watching a group surprised Brutes and Jackals get blown all to hell.

Also: fighting Scarabs. I mean, holy shit.

I like how the Arbiter occasionally still calls me "demon," yet now it's almost a pet name! And from a canonical point of view, fighting alongside a well-armoured troop of Elite feels like I've helped facilitate world peace or something. Very heart-warming.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love bees!

Okay, I've uploaded the entire ilovebees saga. Included with the MP3 files is digital and for-print artwork. The tracks are all tagged so you'll see the cover artwork in your music software. You can print out the for-print files to recreate the same CD set that I have. (use a maroon CD jewel case for best results!)

The files are completely organized, so pop them in your favourite software, press play, and get ready for two hours of fucking awesome radio drama.

I used Sendspace, so this link is temporary. Download all 157 MB here!
dmauro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, anyone that is playing Halo 3 should send me a friend request, xbl username dmauro.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mostly been playing through campaign, but I played a few multiplayer games last night as well and was having terrible issues. It actually said that there were only ~250 people playing Team Objective! I guess the campaign is more popular than I thought.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
i love bees!

BTW, if anyone knows what the music is in episode week02_subject1, please let me know!
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere between chapter 2 and 4, you're cruising along a busted-up highway in New Mombasa, and you come over a rise to find another section of highway largely in control of the Covenant. Brutes with jetpacks are soaring around in the distance, Banshees fly by overhead, and somewhere a brute with a fuel rod gun is blasting green plasma at some entrenched marines. A more skillful player would have charged right in, taking advantage of cover and incrementally superior weapons; I dorked around on a distant hill with a couple rifles. Twenty minutes later, I managed to get into a brute chopper and rammed everything I could.

I spent two hours last night with my record of that playthrough in the replay theater. Freezing the action, spinning the camera, switching over to free camera and zooming over to watch the grunts scrambling away from my sniper fire, and then a quick hop to the bunker where a pair of soldiers are ducking from the frequent explosions from that fuel rod gun--one of them tried to reposition at the wrong time and got hit, while I was disappointed to learn the other one fell from a grenade I'd tossed at a bunch of grunts. The brute chopper sequence was the real highlight, with a lot of great moments that I caught in screenshots.

As soon as someone finds an easy way to send static videoclips from the game to a computer, Halo 3 is going to be all over Youtube.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually beat the game last night. Holy short play-time, Batman! I also completely forgot about any screenshot- or video-taking abilities, which is too bad. I did some pretty cool stuff in some encounters.

Granted, knowing that I can save films of the game means I probably will go back and do it all over again.

Also, I started listening to ILB after uploading it yesterday and man, it's still incredible. I'm at home sick today, so I will probably listen to some more.

EDIT: Dess! You'll be happy to know that in Halo 3 I found Marathon-style terminals that provided me with interesting (and confounding) back story.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I also completely forgot about any screenshot- or video-taking abilities, which is too bad.

Might wanna take a closer look at your replay theater, then. You may be surprised by what you find there--I know I was.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Dess! You'll be happy to know that in Halo 3 I found Marathon-style terminals that provided me with interesting (and confounding) back story.

Details, please.
dmauro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The terminal I found reminded me a lot of I Love Bees actually...

They are these terminals that are sort of hidden or just a bit out of the way and you access them and break into the computer and access some text conversations between two entities (AI?).
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh God, I'm going to have to get the game just for that.

Does the entire campaign take place on Earth? How shit is the voice-acting and how forgettable are the characters? Considering how poorly a story-telling job Halo 2 did, all I would like to see is Master Chief being a mass-murderer of ungodly proportions and leave the rest of the cast in the backdrop, because who cares for Whedon Lite rip-offs, honestly?
dmauro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Oh God, I'm going to have to get the game just for that.

yes

Dracko wrote:
Does the entire campaign take place on Earth?

No, but you spend plenty of time there and it's so so much more memorable than Halo 2's earth level(s).

Dracko wrote:
How shit is the voice-acting and how forgettable are the characters?

Cortana is awesome as usual, but she's not in the game as much as you'd like. MC overdoes it a bit as per usual. There is a character that's back that I don't want to spoil, but I'll just say that you'll be very happy about how his story arc turns out. Keyes looks really weird and gothy and has at least one bad line and is not the best voice actor of the game for sure. Johnson doesn't have any good lines this time, instead he says "I guess they like the smell of green/bad ass," which is just very awkward. Maybe he never had any good lines though... The arbiter and the shipmaster are back but with less disputing between them. Both of those guys do a great job with their scripts, and the arbiters lines while fighting alongside you are pretty great (so far, I've only played maybe 2 levels solo).

Dracko wrote:
Considering how poorly a story-telling job Halo 2 did, all I would like to see is Master Chief being a mass-murderer of ungodly proportions and leave the rest of the cast in the backdrop, because who cares for Whedon Lite rip-offs, honestly?

The story doesn't get convulted. It's just these are the things that need to happen, MC, you go do it and the Arbiter will give you a hand. There are plenty of things left unsaid, which some people seem to find offensive, but I very much enjoy. I hate when games/movies/etc spell out the obvious. Plenty is left to the imagination and you get the bare essentials. I very much agree with Bungie's story-telling style.

All in all, this game reminds me more of Halo 1 than 2 in the amount of awe, the clarity and conciseness of the story, the lack of pop-in (lol), and having plenty of open levels where you can just tool around in a mongoose having a blast by yourself if you'd like (doing laps on Silent Cartographer is what I used to do before online multiplayer hit with Halo 2).
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found that the Earth missions were the most memorable part of Halo 2, actually. They didn't come off as repetitive as the rest did. But all the same, cool.

I can't help but feel, seeing all these cutscenes, and skipping them as I did in the previous games, that the stunts of pure bad-assery the Chief pulled off would be far, far more effective if the player did them, much like Half-Life 2 does. Imagine if instead of watching a dull shot of space, you, the player, had to navigate a Covenant bomb into one of its own battleships, all the while a space battle going off around you.

But if it reminds people more of the first game than the second, then that's great.
dmauro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
you, the player, had to navigate a Covenant bomb into one of its own battleships, all the while a space battle going off around you.

I was always extremely fond of that level in MDK2 where you are falling to earth while a huge machine tries to shoot you out of the sky.

I'm not sure if they stayed away from that sort of thing because the engine couldn't handle it or because it would detract from the very simple and elegant experience that is Halo. Isn't their mantra something about ten minutes of gameplay repeated over and over?
Slonie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
Dracko wrote:
you, the player, had to navigate a Covenant bomb into one of its own battleships, all the while a space battle going off around you.

I was always extremely fond of that level in MDK2 where you are falling to earth while a huge machine tries to shoot you out of the sky.

I'm not sure if they stayed away from that sort of thing because the engine couldn't handle it or because it would detract from the very simple and elegant experience that is Halo. Isn't their mantra something about ten minutes of gameplay repeated over and over?

I didn't play MDK2, but it was neat to start every single stage of the first MDK in freefall. Actually MDK was just good times overall. I want to play it again.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm glad it's all in cut-scenes. It would make the game loose it's focus! Half-Life 2 really takes the game in a different direction and I'm glad Halo 3 steered clear of it. Extralife said that Half-Life 2 has no cut-scenes for a reason. My response was going to be, Halo HAS cut-scenes for a reason, but then decided to stay out of the arguement.

Those dive segments in MDK were totally awesome, though. Can't believe there was only one in the sequel!

SPOILERS

And YES, terminals are back! Which are more interesting than the main story so far! They look very classy, but it's also a bit weird! When you first log on to them, you see some text which I suspect may be Covenent communications, but before you can read it all, it's hi-jacked and you're taking to the conversations between the two entities. The dialouge is a bit cheesy, unfortunately, but it's all very interesting and I look forward to see where they go! The last one I read was a rather aggresive message which sounded very... similar to the kind of things a certain AI once said, and at the end of the message it confirmed that the AI in question is indeed RAMPANT. Also, the chapter I just started is called RAMPANCY but I guess that's referring to someone else. But yeah, terminals! Alright! Woo!

Also you get an achievement called MARATHON MAN for finding all the terminals (they are hidden in rather obvious places).

END SPOILERS

The game isn't as elegant as the original game, but it's very close. The first level is kinda meh, but once you finally get outside, BAM, it's awesomeville. The story is indeed very minimal which kinda bugger me at first but I think I'm starting to prefer it. I liked the Arbiters story, though, and kinda pissed that he's just forgotten about. OH WELL.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just it "the silent cartographer TWO" and I'm loving this campaign hard. Even though I am dying a lot (on Heroic).

These people that are cruising through the game in no time flat are either playing on Normal, or they just possess vidmaster skills greater than mine. Plus I just found my first terminal.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I realised when I first beat the game I missed half the ending; stupid me. I went back and beat it again and yeah—the ending is perfect. The Legendary ending (via YouTube) is fascinating too.

I discovered Theatre mode while sick at home yesterday—and how. Now I can't stop monkeying around in it. It's genius. I've got some nice shots on my Bungie.net profile, but here's my favourite:

Halo 3
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, the main campaign is fairly boring. The story is about as unforgetable as it can be. (considering I finished four main chapters last night in one sitting and I really don't know what's going on at all).

Unfortunately I didn't play Halo 2 and probably never, ever, will. The game isn't courteous enough to give you any kind of back-story/explanation-of-what's-going-on at all. Good job Microsoft! Good show Bungie.

Also, team slayer is a fucking mess. If you play this in ranked matches online you have no control over either the level or the weapons. about 90% of the time the game will throw you into a Sniper/Shotty match. I have no problem with the shotty part, but the snipers are bullshit in this game. Well, ok, everything's fucking bullshit in online. It's exceptionally frustrating. I'm debating on going back to Shadowrun because of this shit.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, we are obviously having completely different experiences with this game.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Wow, we are obviously having completely different experiences with this game.

It's ok. Matt thought Gears sucked at first too.

Besides, Halo wasn't really designed for Slayer. You really need to be playing team games, especially if you want to make a Shadowrun comparison. But one thing bothers me. Matt, why haven't you been playing with people you know?

-Wes
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was.

Yeah, Slayer is fucking terrible. Seriously, it really damaged my opinion of this game. I've gone back to SOCIAL SKIRMISH and BIG TEAM BATTLES which are much more enjoyable, especially when I was playing with thatbox and boojiboy since we acted as a team and kicked as thusly. Also, yeah, the story is pretty weak unfortunately, but the level design is top notch apart from RAMPANT which sucked.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually quite enjoyed Slayer so far. I've actually done not-bad at it so far, which is pleasant.
purplechair

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Halo 3 is pretty excellent, and I didn't really like either of the first two games all that much. With all the customisation options and stuff, and how user-friendly Theatre mode is, people are going to be making/playing/watching/talking about this game for a billion years to come.

I mean, the campaign story is terrible, but playing it is pretty nice. I can't wait to do four-player co-op with Free For All scoring on and have a turkey-shoot high score battle with my friends.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the story a ton.

But oh god, playing it is amazing. I actually enjoy using team scoring, just because we all work together then to keep it going. 4 player Legendary is such a thing of beauty.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
It's ok. Matt thought Gears sucked at first too.

HUH? What the heck are you talking about? Gears was one of the few "huge budget" games that I enjoyed pretty much from the start.

Also, like, it's not that I'm not enjoying the single player game, it's just that the story is completely unmemorable so far. When there is story it doesn't seem connected to anything over-arching it's just an excuse to direct you from point a to point b. While I haven't played Halo 2, it feels like the story is completely unimportant to the game. My wife literally just said "this game should drop the story because I'm having fun just shooting stuff."

I mean, "The rings will kill us all" isn't a brilliant line, it's just hokey.

Anyways, Since I've avoided Team Slayer things have been a bit better online, but it's still fairly boring/standard/uninteresting gameplay. I mean, it's fun because there enough people playing that I know, but the "gameplay" is no where near as fun as Shadowrun is.

I will say that Rocket Race (under bungie favorites) is pretty damn amazing. Also I've had some great games of Infection and some pretty good CTF games. If I'm going to do ranked games I stick to Lone Wolf and they're alright.

Honestly, I won't have a problem dropping this game the moment something better comes around (TF2?).

Sara (my wife) and I are playing through co-op (Heroic) on campaign. The only reason she's willing to do so is because the hype got her mildly excited enough to see what's up with these types of games. So I guess something good has come from Halo.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a revelation after spending a few hours—yeah, seriously—poring over the transcripts from all the "Marathon" terminals and what they may mean, etc. I also spent a lot of this time going through the Halopedia.

Thing is, I fucking LOVE this kind of shit: the huge, HUGE storyline and all its myriad forms. After going through everything, what I realised is this: Halo may have earned its money catering to drunken frat boys and Xbox Live subscribers, but at its heart, buried well beneath the blam-blam-shoot-shoot facade is the same nerdtastic, secluded, epic-biblical-story-loving geeks who created Marathon for a fairly small pool of fans back in the 90's.

Once you go over all of this (the books, quickie online comic and ARGs help), you realise how rich and interesting and—well, thrilling the Halo universe is. Ilovebees is what sold me, but the ARG for Halo 3 (I missed it entirely) plus all these terminals and auxiliary bits of story—they really seal the deal.

Halo 3 alone; I can't believe how much stuff is in there, that 90% of the game's let's-go-online-and-shoot-me-some-gay-faggot-niggers demographic will never even notice. I suspect that had they not fucked up the production schedule for Halo 2 so much, Bungie would have made that game as rich in hidden canon as this.

"Love, Bungie," indeed!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
the same nerdtastic, secluded, epic-biblical-story-loving geeks who created Marathon for a fairly small pool of fans back in the 90's.

Actually, Jason Jones is the only geek left over from the Marathon days.

I did enjoy the terminals, however, despite the first one being a tad cheesy.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungie, i want to believe, but your fans these days scare me.

give me marathon infinity on live arcade and we will be cool.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I just had a revelation after spending a few hours—yeah, seriously—poring over the transcripts from all the "Marathon" terminals and what they may mean, etc. I also spent a lot of this time going through the Halopedia.

Thing is, I fucking LOVE this kind of shit: the huge, HUGE storyline and all its myriad forms. After going through everything, what I realised is this: Halo may have earned its money catering to drunken frat boys and Xbox Live subscribers, but at its heart, buried well beneath the blam-blam-shoot-shoot facade is the same nerdtastic, secluded, epic-biblical-story-loving geeks who created Marathon for a fairly small pool of fans back in the 90's.

Once you go over all of this (the books, quickie online comic and ARGs help), you realise how rich and interesting and—well, thrilling the Halo universe is. Ilovebees is what sold me, but the ARG for Halo 3 (I missed it entirely) plus all these terminals and auxiliary bits of story—they really seal the deal.

I really thought the story was turd. I guess some people are going to love that Master Chief dives through a burning spaceship and there's a character called 'The Prophet of Regret' and a spaceship called the Pillar of Autumn, and other people, smart people, ok I mean ME, will think it the crappiest most laughable shit they've ever seen. Depends how much you like bad acting, shitty dialogue and boring characters, I guess. Master Chief is a fucking gimp. This is just my opinion, of course.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big ass helmet!

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that wants that Hammer Joust variant I made, I've got it up on my file share now. I also put up a quick ten second or so clip if you're not familiar with it. Or here's a picture of me and my roommate knocking Isfet right off his goose:

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how the other green guy is just looking back, like "oh shi..."

I was meant to go through that three way we had too see if I could get a good pic of that time all three of us were heading straight for each other from different directions. The movie is probably gone now.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Lestrade wrote:

I really thought the story was turd. I guess some people are going to love that Master Chief dives through a burning spaceship and there's a character called 'The Prophet of Regret' and a spaceship called the Pillar of Autumn, and other people, smart people, ok I mean ME, will think it the crappiest most laughable shit they've ever seen. Depends how much you like bad acting, shitty dialogue and boring characters, I guess. Master Chief is a fucking gimp. This is just my opinion, of course.

Yeah, well, I enjoy all of this—especially all the ridiculously overwrought names—and I consider myself pretty smart!
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's the cross-media backstory and world-building which has me interested in this game's plot, and it does seem almost purposeful, maybe even cynical, that it's hidden beneath a truly shit main story and forgettable characters.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I barely started 3 yet.

Thinking way back to 2., after reading the insruction manual to 3, I remember how much Gravemind reminded me of Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors.

Although new to me, this is probably not a very original observation.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's become something of a pet name for it. You'll be happy to know the Gravemind has no such appreciable presence in Halo 3. What you see is much, much more sinister and interesting.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game really lost me on being "intelegently written" when one of the <s>space</s> marines in my Warthog said "Whoo, Ghost Ride The WHIP! Whoo." Or something like that.

I agree with Dracko on this: the world building and though put into the story is amazing, but the in-game execution of such is just forgettable.

Anyways, the game is good at being a entry to FPS games. It’s working very well as a gateway drug for my wife because of the amount of advertising they put into the game. Like, my wife was hooked on Bioshock because of the early video of the Big Daddy fight. But Halo has always been this beast that she never saw the attraction to. A long time ago I tried to play Halo 1 with her Co-Op but that was before she’d played some FPS style controlled games. Following up from Bioshock it’s not a huge stretch for her to begin playing Halo 3.

The best part is that she really enjoys it! Not the story (which she has laughed at many times, but the little enemy guys with the high voices have grown on her), but more the straight forward shooting gallery aspect of it. She gets the empowerment feeling from the game and really digs melee attacking some foo’s.

Anyways, on Saturday she had a friend over and was like “we should play Halo 3 together!” and I was so shocked that I gave over the TV for about 5 hours total for them to play. They only played on Normal (even though her and I are playing on Heroic) but they made it through the section past picking up Cortana after the Flood. It was fun to see them being able to enjoy something that complex (FPS games are probably the most complex game that you can play with a controller).

So, yeah, next step is getting my wife to play Shadowrun!

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:

Yeah, well, I enjoy all of this—especially all the ridiculously overwrought names—and I consider myself pretty smart!

Maybe you should re-assess that position!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a hard time considering halo's story to be intelligent because i can't help comparing it to marathon's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marathon pulled a similar stunt, honestly: Straight-forward space opera action set-up belies a fascinating, and eventually post-modern, tale of warring post-human psychologies and philosophies.

Both could be admired in their own way, is the point. Halo is just far less obvious about it, and does require some understanding of the ARGs and such to get the full picture. And I do think it is mainly a question of making quick monies without fearing alienating all that many people.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, Legendary changes some of the lines in the game. Some of the lines are actually pretty amusing. One of the skulls also makes the dialouge even more entertaining, such as the grunts singing WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS when they kill you.

The terminals also have more pages if you play on Legendary, and completely changes the text on one of them (from lame to actually pretty cool).

Only one level to go on Legendary. I'm doing it myself, not like you other pussies. None of you should have gotten the achievement for it on co-op, what a load of bull.

Last edited by Cycle on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: