The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tingle's rosy rupeeland is viciously clever.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, your little write up fails to mention if you enjoy the game at all.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because it's irrelevant.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
because it's irrelevant.

Not really, I'm tempted to play it after that, but just because it's clever. It doesn't say anything about if it cuts out the bull shit that Zelda has, or just hides it with its cleverness.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a game about zelda bullshit.

it is the distilled essence of bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's better than contact at least.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i get an amen?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only got published in the UK though, right?

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i know, yeah.

so, remember how i wanted the people who made that excellent konami arcade collection for the ds to make collections like that for every publisher? well, they are.

there are no replay recording options this time around, but all the other options are there (including switching individual dip switches), and each game has a "score attack" mode that plays the game with the default options. dig dug isn't there, but the fantastic and underappreciated dig dug ii is, along with mappy and a bunch of games we already own.

but probably most interesting is that the game allows you to play pac-man versus without a gamecube and a bunch of gameboys and wires. between this and phantom hourglass, i'm glad that idea is being revisited without the crazy hardware costs.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can actually answer all of your questions shaper!

It was only released in the UK.
It was $50 plus shipping from ncsx.com
And, probably most importantly, you'd hate it.

I, on the other hand, kind of like it a lot. Like dessgeega says, it's the distilled essence of bullshit, but it's actually pretty addictive. The reason I say you'd hate it is that it's set up so that if you don't play it exactly right you've got to do some grinding. It goes along with the theme of the game, but there's no doubt that it's grinding. Grinding in Tingle's world consists of beating a few enemies so that they drop certain items, taking those items home and using them to make potions, then putting those potions in bottles and taking them to the nearby store to sell them for big profits. It's tedious, but it's kinda fun in the same way that Harvest Moon is kinda fun.

I think the big reason I don't mind the grind is that you're not really grinding for arbitrary numbers, you're grinding for HP, which also happens to be money, which happens to be keys/items/pretty much anything you need in the game. This makes it a lot more freeform. In fact, it's so freeform that you could probably just grind from the very beginning of the game and eventually make your way to the end of the game without ever finishing the first "dungeon" if you were so inclined.

So you might think that it sounds interesting so far, but in reality unless you're totally driven by the concept or actually enjoy Zelda games I'm not sure there's much someone would take away. It's very much a second tier Nintendo game seeing as it's not really anywhere near as good as any of the actual Zelda games. You can either play the game by constantly resetting every time you spend an unnecessary rupee or play it by overspending and then grinding for cash later. I think dessgeega is playing the game the first way and I'm playing it the second, and while having the potential for both makes for a pretty neat design, both ways ask you to work for your fun. In that way, it's a videogame for people who have nothing better to do than play videogames and I have a feeling most people aren't going to dig it.

Then again, it kind of reminds me of Majora's Mask, so maybe some people will end up digging it.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
In fact, it's so freeform that you could probably just grind from the very beginning of the game and eventually make your way to the end of the game without ever finishing the first "dungeon" if you were so inclined.

i assume this is why the big gems are there, to make sure you've completed all the dungeons even if you didn't need the money.

for the record, i am reloading very rarely (only when i offer a large amount of money and get rejected). i find that cleverness and savvy bargaining tend to minimize the amount of time i have to spend grinding.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up Katamari Damancy for the first time today. Few games have disappointed me so much in recent memory.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer!
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extrabastardformula wrote:
I picked up Katamari Damancy for the first time today. Few games have disappointed me so much in recent memory.

Yikes. I'd imagine that'd be some backlash right there.

It's a nice little game with its very own flavor. That's what you should be looking for, rather than the combined weight of ten thousand Tim Rogers digressions/earnest IC romances/tangential forum axe exclamations.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so like, did it disapoint because it was BAD or was it just not what you were expecting. I've met/seen/heard of only a few people that honestly thought it was bad. I can imagine that it would be hard to live up to the hype that surrounds the series though.

extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the music was the biggest turn off for me. That and I absolutely hated the King. I played up till the point where you have to male your Katamary one meter across and being interrupted by a fullscreen of the King telling me I reached a midpoint goal and to keep going actually made me angry at the game.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. katamari is just about the only game music i think isn't terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the music was the biggest turn off for me. That and I absolutely hated the King. I played up till the point where you have to male your Katamary one meter across and being interrupted by a fullscreen of the King telling me I reached a midpoint goal and to keep going actually made me angry at the game.

Yeah, this makes sense. These are pretty superficial reasons, but they're not really things that someone could tell you you're wrong about. The king and the music are the reasons most people like it, so disliking either of those would pretty much remove a lot of the draw.

Just so you know though, the king's interruptions aren't there because they thought you need encouragement, they're there to mask the load times, and at that they're pretty successful.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've started playing mother 3 with the aid of a script translation.

it's, wow, really good.

here are some things i like about it:

the "sound battle" system is great. it adds just enough skill and nuance to the game, and makes you pay attention. scoring a 16-hit combo feels really good.

the way text is presented. so many jrpgs have huge text boxes that pop up regardless of how much text is appearing in them, leading to lots of wasted space. when a character speaks in mother 3, the screen is letterboxed and two lines of dialogue appear on the bottom. presentation matters!

the animations. every action that any character performs is fully (and wonderfully) animated, which is a wonderful change from jrpgs of mother 2's era (where characters dance by facing different directions rapidly). the characters are all distinctly and beautifully drawn.

and the music is great.

and the story is, yeah. i just finished the first chapter. wow.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i've started playing mother 3 with the aid of a script translation.

Are you refering to the official rom hack, or something else? I remember they they weren't done last time I checked.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a text file containing the translated script.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't stop playing TF2, if anyone even cares about that. I heard people talking about Half-Life, so I figured people might like to hear that TF2 is good.

TF2 is good in its own way though. All of my friends that league TFC can't stand TF2. It's a much different game, but a lot of my friend and I enjoy it muchly. I recommend the look if you've got the cash and enjoy the genre.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink Teddy Bear wrote:
Well, I can't stop playing TF2, if anyone even cares about that. I heard people talking about Half-Life, so I figured people might like to hear that TF2 is good.

TF2 is good in its own way though. All of my friends that league TFC can't stand TF2. It's a much different game, but a lot of my friend and I enjoy it muchly. I recommend the look if you've got the cash and enjoy the genre.

I played Team Fortress Classic a ton way back when - go Soldier class! I'm tempted to preorder to get the TF2 beta, but considering I didn't even finish Half-Life 2 (loved the first though), I think I'll hold off until the Orange Box comes out so I can trade stuff in towards it. Portal looks too rad to not play.

I read some of Eurogamer's review of TF2, but what would you say are the main differences? The original had some awesome levels, did they bring any back for the second one? Tell me mooooooooooooooooore.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katamari Damacy is a flat-out assault on the Noun. It's more fun when you think of it that way. It's less fun when you expect it to strike a transcendant chord of loneliness with you, which is what some writers who write very poorly would have you believe it will do.

Of course, I'm not sure what your expectations of it were to begin with.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink Teddy Bear wrote:
I heard people talking about Half-Life, so I figured people might like to hear that TF2 is good.

Oh, yes, I'm looking forward to it quite a bit, I just don't have a PC that could handle it (well, probably not anyways) so it will be 360 Orange Box for me.

Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I played Team Fortress Classic a ton way back when - go Soldier class! I'm tempted to preorder to get the TF2 beta, but considering I didn't even finish Half-Life 2 (loved the first though), I think I'll hold off until the Orange Box comes out so I can trade stuff in towards it. Portal looks too rad to not play.

I read some of Eurogamer's review of TF2, but what would you say are the main differences? The original had some awesome levels, did they bring any back for the second one? Tell me mooooooooooooooooore.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Portal more than Episode 2 actually. Episode 1 just left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe if Episode 1 lasted longer than five minutes I could of enjoyed it more.

Now I will go way in-depth, perhaps too in-depth, on some of the changes from TFC to TF2.

TF2 is a lot of fun though. For the most part, all of the original levels are still there, and you can play them in the beta. The layout for the levels remain almost exactly the same, save for a few small details and the look of the level. 2fort for example has almost the exact same layout, except for the elevator leading down the the flag is replaced with stairs. The level design also looks like kinda like a barn on the outside and upper levels of the fort, but gets all technological secret hidden base on ya on the lower levels.

All of the classes are pretty well balanced out now, especially since there are no more nades. Scout can double jump and now has a weak pistol, and Demomans timed grenade is now a sticky timed grenade so it can stick to walls, roofs and the like. The Medic is a lot more useful now in certain ways, because he can heal from a good distance away now, he actually has a healing beam. The healing beam gradually charges whenever you heal someone, and when the healing beam is fully charged, you can unleash an Ubercharge that allows you and the person you are targeting to become invulnerable for a short amount of time. Spy can cloak himself invisible, and he's completely 100% invisible. None of that quasi-cloaking where you can see the Spy because the terrain in front of you suddenly turns all wobbly and distorted. The cloaking ability is limited to a time-frame, and you must be completely un-cloaked before you can attack someone. Pyro no longer has the incendiary cannon, but his flamethrower is beefed up, and can actually deal some serious damage now. Snipers now auto-charge when zoomed in, but that's the only way to charge the rifle. Engineers haven't really changed much at all, and neither have soldiers. I don't know about Heavymen because I refuse to play as them.

TF2 seems a lot more coop than TFC. I've yet to join a server where my team isn't communicating with each other frequently. Now that the game has been out for a little bit, people are starting to fit into there favorite classes well, and can really come together with the rest of the team to form some nice teamwork. Medics typically know their job and do it well. They'll stick to a Soldier or Heavy for the most part and heal him as he rampages through the enemy defenses. Engi's know where to put their SGs on the new maps, and where to put the dispensers.

I'm really surprised at how quickly this game has come into its own. Especially since most of the hardcore TFC leaguers don't bother with TF2.

The best times I've had with TF2 though, are when I'm playing with people from my Ventrilo server. We can keep in constant communication and what-not, and typically one of us will be the Medic, another will be the attacking class, and we just let loose on the enemies.

Alright, this is one of those things where I wrote so much that I really don't want to go back and proof-read, and make sure I don't sound like a complete maniac. So, I apologize in advance if what I just wrote puts you off.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also replaying Mother 3. In all the hours I've spent with it, I think I've only gotten a full sixteen-hit combo two or three times. I'm too impatient.

Wasn't there somebody around here who was fed up with mirrored sprites being used for characters facing the opposite direction? Lestrade, maybe? You'll be pleased to hear this game does it right.

The first time I played through via emulation; then I did a quick run through on the Gamecube's Game Boy Player. This time I'm using the DS, and it's kind of interesting to finally be playing this on a small screen. It feels a lot different.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am in chapter four of mother 3, being twarted by a very hard boss.

i like the way this story is told. and i like that the "rolling hit points" from mother 2 are actually a meaningful strategic element here, where in that game they roll way too fast for you to usually do anything about them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just attempted to play Pathologic, but alas, my cowardice wouldn't allow it. As soon as I entered a building in an infected zone, I had to squint my eyes and have the camera focus a downward a bit so I couldn't fully see ahead of myself.

That game is damn scary with it's atmospheric prowess!
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a game (Picross DS) and turned on a videogame system for the first time in a month! It was not the most thrilling experience, but it was passable.

I also moved my gamefly queue around a little and sent back that PS2 Mana game. I may be getting a copy of Metroid Prime III, except I never even finished the first one so I'm hoping they send me some DS game instead.

I need to send my Wii back for warranty purposes. There's a year warranty on those, right?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just finished chapter five of mother 3. this game is great.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i just finished chapter five of mother 3. this game is great.

Oh, yeah--that's a good chapter. It reminds me of that quote from Churchill about the progress of the war: "it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Around the time I was in fourth grade, I remember shopping for school supplies with my mom. We were looking at markers, and Crayola had three different varieties available: normal colors, "bright neon" colors, and "bold" colors. The bold colors were darker, and somehow more vivid; the normal and neon colors just looked hollow on the page next to the beautiful greens and oranges and browns that the bold contained.

This game's palette reminds me of those bold markers.
a_plus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rambling/confusing i'm sure, and not to be 10-15 years late, or anything, but:

i went and played/beat super metroid for the first time the other day. i had no idea how much metroid prime owed to its predecessor! honestly, they're more or less first- and third-person versions of the same game. i don't think that's a bad thing at all, mind you. prime expands upon super in quite a nice way.
the entire tourian(?)/endgame was really, really, great, and catapulted a game i liked a ton into a game i now love a ton. i'm still trying to decide whether or not the narrative is something uniquely videogame, or if it could be done the same, or at least equally well in another medium. there were definitely some great shocks 'n' horror, though, and i haven't really felt that from any of the metroid games since. (the vapid black background of the nes game really help create the mood)

playing the gba one (metroid fusion, i think?) right after playing super metroid was a big ol' disappointment, though! this subject i know for a fact has been talked about at length, and i suppose i should judge the game on its own merits, but the overt narrative and finger-pointing hints are a major minus.
fusion doesn't get the secrets right at all, either. in the original and snes ones, even though all the secrets are meant to be found, it still feels like you're cheating, almost breaking the game when you uncover them. especially when you get the x-ray specs in super metroid, it feels to me like i'm stripping away layers of the game's very code (and it really does just remove a sprite layer to show you what's underneath, more or less). it's all built in and is supposed to be manipulated in just that way -- fusion makes a lot of these secrets mandatory and obviously videogamey/unorganic. (though in super metroid it took me looking at an faq to figure out i could blow up that glass tube, which in retrospect was obvious). i feel like there's more to be said on this subject but enh, it's late and i should be asleep.

i do wish super metroid had a harder difficulty mode, and that's my only complaint. i got something like 86% in something like 9 hours but it was all pretty easy.

i still haven't played metroid 2, and i think that's next, after i replay metroid prime. also, there was that gba sorta-remix of the original metroid i know nothing about. are either of those worth it? everything i've heard about metroid prime 2 makes it sound god-awful, and i don't have a wii yet, so prime 3 is out of the question. is that all of the series i need to know about?

Last edited by a_plus on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
a_plus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also what's up with the gratuitous death animation and increasing scantily-cladiness of the games. (okay, i know the answer, but come on)
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metroid 2 is required playing if you can stand getting lost in games. As for Zero Mission...it's got a bit of what you (and I) hated about Fusion, but toned down, and thankfully no dialogue. It also goes in an unusual direction towards the end which I think some people hated but I rather liked. Quite worth playing, is my vote. And Prime 2 is superfluous in every way, so yeah, then you're caught up.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one thing i like about the death animation in super metroid is that the one wall between samus and the environment is broken away. it always emphasized for me just how toxic and inhospitable zebes is: to be lost in those caves, bare, is death.

i've been meaning to buy a copy of metroid II and finally finish it. i never have!

i like zero mission, but it's not brooding or scary at all. it is the warmest and fuzziest of all metroid games. that's something fusion is successful at: the feeling that you are constantly being hunted. which is not the same kind of fear that the other metroid games create.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while fiddling with my flashcart today in and around finally deciding to get going with mother 3, translation patch or no, i put fusion on there - not particularly wanting to play it (or any game that's not mother 3) nowadays, and especially not as some retrospective appeal to having something to do with myself; i'm sure you all know how that goes.

it's nice. is it possible to die of nostalgia, i wonder?
sediment

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of Metroid II. Smile

I always found Super Metroid really hard to get into after Metroid II - I love the emphasis on exploration in it, and the many ruined city locations for Samus to trawl through. Also metroid stages of evolution make for some pretty tough and/or interesting boss fights.

Super Metroid just seems really... hasty, like what they want you to do is rush through everything - and of course I know that's the point of all the Metroid games, but Metroid II doesn't convey it the same way.

Also has many more points for you to get hopelessly lost in. Samus Aran, master navigator!

dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super metroid is also bloated, like a lot of snes games. do we really need a "super" version of every weapon? an x-ray visor? a morph ball jump? do we really even need maridia? and fusion and zero mission proved we don't need a six-button control scheme. there's a lot of excess.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah - with metroid II, everything is two buttons and it works out beautifully. it's very streamlined and polished. some day i'll pick super metroid up again, but every time i play it now i feel compelled to play one of the handheld metroids instead.

also has probably the best sprite animations I've ever seen on the game boy classic.

helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
especially when you get the x-ray specs in super metroid, it feels to me like i'm stripping away layers of the game's very code (and it really does just remove a sprite layer to show you what's underneath, more or less).

That was a really interesting thought.

Before I checked up on this thread, I started picking up where I left off in my re-play of Metroid Prime today, on hard mode. (Hard mode is hard.) I started thinking about how, like x-ray vision, the visors in Prime really bring to the forefront what the Metroid series works with in terms of mechanics. As you gather more abilities, you really start to see each environment--especially the ones you have to backtrack through--in a different way. In that way, the static environments become dynamic as a reflection of the player. It's a great concept, but it doesn't always play out elegantly when the uses of the environment's features are too obvious before you acquire the ability to interact with them. Nonetheless, the concept works extremely well in the narrative of Samus researching her past and, as she progresses through her own history, gradually coming to a physical understanding with the planet modeled almost entirely for her development.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapter seven is that one episode of live a live done right. at least, part of it is. this boss is tough.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 7 is long, and I only played Live a Live haphazardly--which part are you referring to?

If I had to pick a favorite part of Mother 3, I'd probably settle on chapter 7, from when you first cross the sea to the point where it's time to return.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the part of chapter seven that takes place at the chimera lab does exactly what the episode of live a live on the spaceship does, only better.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife "acquired" FFVII: Crisis Core for the PSP the other day, so I tried to give it a whirl last night. Unfortunately the heavy use of kanji is a bit of a barrier. Theoretically I could use my DS to look up all the ones I don't know, but that would take forever.

The game is beautiful; there's no doubt of that. But the difference in how Square-Enix thinks these days is painfully obvious. The opening recreates the speeding train scene of FFVII, except that when your hero (this time, Zack) leaps ontp the platform and the "infiltration" music starts pounding, all momentum is lost as he picks up his Advent Children cell phone and engages in mystical conversation for two minutes.

The battles seem interesting, at any rate; you can dodge/roll with square, attack with O and [do something with triangle — I can't remember what now]. My favourite part though is that you use L and R to cycle through your available commands, which exists as a little row of icons on the bottom-right of the screen. One icon is for your physical attack (a sword), three are for different Materia (I had ice, lightning and fire spells), and one lets you pick an item to use. When you choose this latter option and then an item, the next time you press O, Zack will use that item.

It's pretty streamlined, actually, and it feels like a good system that could be used in other RPGs. I like that you get to be mobile and fly around the screen.

I only played a short while before the dense kanji confounded me and I wasn't sure what to do. The game was classic 21st century S-E; fine-boned pretty-boys with silly haircuts and oddly baroque costumes. It's like one big yaoi fan fiction.

The game looks beautiful; I just can't get over how good the visuals are, coming out of this handheld device. It sounds all right; it's all recycled FFVII music and the same Japanese pretty-boy voice acting you'll hear anywhere else. And it controls very well. The problem I had was that it right from the get-go, it was pretty boring. A minute of game play only nets you five of CG/dialogue. It's the new Squeenix, that's for sure, but I don't know if I have the patience to continue.

Maybe I'll bring out the DS and use Crisis Core as a study tool.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
If I had to pick a favorite part of Mother 3, I'd probably settle on chapter 7, from when you first cross the sea to the point where it's time to return.

you're right, this part is amazing.

i love how focused this game. even when you're scouring the world for the magic plot objects, the game keeps clipping quickly along from place to place.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just stopped playing Drawn To Life. "Cock" had just discovered the beach gateway, which is about halfway through the game.

The idea and drawing is tres cool. It is neat to see a poorly drawn version of yourself or Phoenix Wright or a heavily veined penis with bat wings, but the rest of the game falls disappointingly short. The platforming, which is the meat of the game, is just so linear and easy - if there is a point where you can go two ways, you can be sure that one way is forward progress and the other leads shortly to a "secret" and dead end. Ad nauseam for roughly 16 levels. The "talk to x", "go hither"-ness in town is never more than just padding (and it is quite frequent), and the dialogue is so painfully close to being irreverent and childishly funny that it is sad to see it never delivers.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i love how focused this game. even when you're scouring the world for the magic plot objects, the game keeps clipping quickly along from place to place.

It really does--I guess the problem with most RPGs isn't the random encounters so much as screen after screen of filler. If you can't make it good, at least make it short. Mother 3 is all the more excellent for being both.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. i was telling shaper today that, unlike most jrpgs, mother 3 just has no filler. it's a relief to play a jrpg that isn't constantly tugging me toward sidequests and chicken-raising contests. it also hasn't forced me to grind at all. i'm apparently underlevel, so bosses are always hard (i usually have to replay boss fights a bunch of times), but they always ultimately yield to strategy and persistance. i have a lot of desperate, absolute-last-minute victories, which is about how i'd like it.

chapter 8. shit and a plush bible.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever tactics and timing can get you through battles that you'd hopelessly outmatched in otherwise. The endgame really, really made me appreciate the rolling HP meter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 41 of 85

Jump to: