The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SSF, or a Saturn emulation thread (also a PDS thread!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antitype

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: SSF, or a Saturn emulation thread (also a PDS thread!) Reply with quote

So I was playing Panzer Dragoon Saga and it was running quite beautifully — that little watery oasis near the beginning of the game is one of my fondest videogame memories (nothing special about it really; it's just so serene, with nice music, a very simple and elegant water effect, and the soft wooshing of the dragon's wings — the first time I played this game I was nearly awestruck by how pretty it was) — but then all of a sudden I come out of a tunnel and I've got chipmunk voices. And now I can't figure out how to slow the game down. I've fiddled with the settings and nothing seems to help. Even the areas I'd explored before, which ran at a normal speed, are now running just a little bit too quickly.

Anyone familiar enough with SSF to tell me how I might be able to fix this?

Last edited by antitype on Wed May 30, 2007 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
antitype

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind! I just gave up and restarted my computer and now it's running fine again.

Still, we could use this thread to discuss Saturn emulation, if anyone cares to.

As for PDS itself, well, playing it again after nearly a decade is reaffirming my opinion that it was the finest console RPG of the 32-bit generation. It draws from many of the same themes as Xenogears (which is to say it borrows a fair bit from Nausicaä (though Azel is pretty much the exact opposite of Nausicaä herself)), but it does this in a more subdued and cohesive manner; specifically, it manages to hold itself together all the way to the end (and it's only about 15 hours long at most).

That, and just flying around on the dragon with true analog support is a pleasure.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never played PDS and i may yet; that above screenshot actually shows that they had learned by 1998 how to not date 32-bit 3D too too badly, and the fact that it's not _so_ long is very encouraging.

glad SSF is working out for you!
antitype

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are other areas where the Saturn's limitations are more apparent. Lots of places have a static "wall" not too far off in the distance to avoid nasty draw-in or a hideously cut-off edge like in Nights' outdoor backgrounds. Actually, that's probably a good example of what you're talking about — a way of masking limitations and working around them. The PS1 had shown long before then that it was far better at handling 3D, but damn if they didn't do their best to make it work for this game. It's a hell of a lot nicer to look at than FFVII, if nothing else.

Some areas just have a really nice, simple sense of design that still looks pretty to my eyes.

Morphing the dragon in real time still looks neat and is fun to do with an analog controller.

I would recommend playing it! I'd like to think it's one console experience one should not miss. It really is nice that emulation has finally come this far!
antitype

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might just continue to amuse myself by posting nice (non-spoiling) PDS screencaps!

antitype

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promise I won't do too many. Unless someone wants me to.
antitype

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm done. I failed to capture any of the spectacular imagery at the end of the first disc (only three hours in!), so you'll just have to see for yourself.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mac version is very primitive/a joke intended to make me sad.
antitype

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rud13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antitype, is this game ok with an original Saturn pad, or do I need to track down an analog pad for the full experience. I'm playing Azel on an actual Saturn here.

Haven't started it yet though!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emulate PDS on my saturn. I should really play it again, as I don't acurately remember all the minor plot points towards the last half of the game. I remember these really bleak situations and this feeling of helplessness, but no acurate details. Fuck, now I really want to play it.

Rud13 wrote:
Antitype, is this game ok with an original Saturn pad, or do I need to track down an analog pad for the full experience. I'm playing Azel on an actual Saturn here.

Hey, listen! The US release has the Japanese dub. Which, while cheap, helps maintain a very foreign feel while the charachers speak jibberish back and forth. Not so much for you, Rudie. The analog support, for things like looking around, was nice but not that nice.
antitype

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rud13 wrote:

It's totally playable with a regular Saturn pad, of course, but I used the Nights analog controller back when I played it on my Saturn and I do think that just makes it feel better. If you can find one easily enough, go for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: