The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, I just realized/found out that the director of this game is the same as Trauma Center DS (well, also some Hamtaro games, but that doesn't count). This puts the difficultly level into a bit better perspective. Trauma Center is easily one of the best games on the DS.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

compared to a wizardry title i'm finding the game easy so far.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

Wizardry is far from what normally comes out of Japan, especially in the RPG department. Hell, it's not even close to what normally comes out in the US anymore either.

Compaired to Osman, Trauma Center is pretty easy. You need to throw some perspective into this. We don't exist in a vacuum.

Also, you haven't even seen a FOE yet.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Wizardry is far from what normally comes out of Japan, especially in the RPG department. Hell, it's not even close to what normally comes out in the US anymore either.

actually pretty much all new wizardry titles come from japan these days. but yes, compared to the average jrpg like, a really easy game is like, a really hard game.

and no, i have not seen a FOE!! yet.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of DooM on portables convinced me to install DooM on my PSP. It's a great port and I love the controls. I'm in the process of updating the MIDI patches that come with it.

Edit: done updating. This is now the best controlling, best looking, and best sounding portable version of DooM.

Last edited by dongle on Fri May 18, 2007 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaper, get yourself a survivalist and boot out your dark hunter. Level up his and everyone else's foresting so you can take advantage of the wooding spot on the first floor for mad cash money. Also nuke butterflies with magic whenever you get the opportunity, as that causes them to drop butterfly eyes which you can sell for 20 each. Also, you're supposed to avoid the foes on the second and third floors, by either sneaking past or by luring them around.

Quote:
the thing that annoys me is that it's not actually drawing a map, it's just checking off squares.

That's one way of looking at it, but I went in expecting virtual graph paper and that's exactly what the game delivered on. I mean, Wizardry provided a "map plotting aid" in the form of a pad of graph paper -what are you going to do with that other than connect the lines and mark out where things are? I can understand your desire to personify your map, but it seems unreasonable to expect something other than what the game and website promises in this case.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

Ok, I just read some retards posting about this being "in the same difficulty level as Izuna" which makes me think that my perception is all messed up. Izuna is easy as hell.
JasonMoses wrote:
Shaper, get yourself a survivalist and boot out your dark hunter. Level up his and everyone else's foresting so you can take advantage of the wooding spot on the first floor for mad cash money. Also nuke butterflies with magic whenever you get the opportunity, as that causes them to drop butterfly eyes which you can sell for 20 each. Also, you're supposed to avoid the foes on the second and third floors, by either sneaking past or by luring them around.

I may as well just keep her in, I mean, it would take forever to level up a Survivalist to the same level as the rest of my party. That would bore the crap out of me.

And... you're supposed to avoid the FOEs on the second and third floors? That's just silly. It doesn't seem like that. If you lure them around they can join battles once you get into a regular random battle. That equals instant death dood.

JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

I may as well just keep her in, I mean, it would take forever to level up a Survivalist to the same level as the rest of my party. That would bore the crap out of me.

He's going to be in the back row, so he's probably not going to take damage, and he'll level up quickly - I booted a dark hunter out for an alchemist and she was up to a comparable level and dealing more damage by the time I got down to the 4th floor again. You'll get the foresting level beneifts of having a survivalist immediately and they'lll just get sweeter with time, so his level isn't really even that important at the point you're at.
Quote:
And... you're supposed to avoid the FOEs on the second and third floors? That's just silly. It doesn't seem like that. If you lure them around they can join battles once you get into a regular random battle. That equals instant death dood.

Hasn't happened to me yet. All the FOES on the second floor move around in set patterns - up and down a corridor, for example, with breathing room so that you can just sneak past while it's heading in the other direction. If you keep an eye on your encounter display in the lower-right corner (when it turns red you've got a couple of steps before you get into combat with random enemies) you won't get into a battle while it's heading towards you again, most likely. On the 3rd floor you can head straight down from the stairs and run to the door on the west side of the first room without getting caught by the foe, and the second room has a foe that runs straight at you when it sees you, but becomes complacent when you leave its line of sight. There are more in the rooms further on leading to the fourth floor which you have to deal with in similar ways. Fighting any of them met with disaster, from my experience.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

He's going to be in the back row, so he's probably not going to take damage, and he'll level up quickly - I booted a dark hunter out for an alchemist and she was up to a comparable level and dealing more damage by the time I got down to the 4th floor again. You'll get the foresting level beneifts of having a survivalist immediately and they'lll just get sweeter with time, so his level isn't really even that important at the point you're at.

My back row has a medic and alchemist already. I don't feel comfortable replacing either of them.

JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have 3 people in your back row, so just drop your dark hunter and put in the survivalist.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, my front line is a Fighter (Wes), Defender (Scott) and Whipper (Patience) with my back line a Healer (Christina) and an Archer (Andrew). Is it bad that I'm going to play through the game like this?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
You can have 3 people in your back row, so just drop your dark hunter and put in the survivalist.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that.

Hmm, I might give it a try.

SuperWes wrote:
Hey guys, my front line is a Fighter (Wes), Defender (Scott) and Whipper (Patience) with my back line a Healer (Christina) and an Archer (Andrew). Is it bad that I'm going to play through the game like this?

Deets would recommend that you put in an Alchemist and take out the whipper.

JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just. Play the game, see what works and what doesn't. I'm figuring this out as I go along.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man you guys make me feel heartless. i usually name players after goofy shit, not loved ones.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
man you guys make me feel heartless. i usually name players after goofy shit, not loved ones.

You should see my first Pokemon names and also my FFVII names. That would make me seem heartless in compairson to you.

ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
(and a troubadour named juranda who i couldn't fit into my party. but points to anyone who knows where the name is from.)

Any sign of Bivotar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you never let me down, apm.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw my first FOE. well, i didn't actually fight it, i just slowly backed away. it was scary lookin'. i like the skill system in this game, and the way equipment advancement is based on enemy killing / item selling.

i don't get the hating on dark hunters, though! they are like total little dommes. i just taught mine the "gag" skill (which is followed by "shackles", "cuffs", "ecstacy" and "climax" in that order)! i also taught my medic "patch up" (recover health at the end of battles with no tp cost), which promises to be helpful.

doom gba update: still the best thing in the world.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes! i figured a few of you here would be all over EO, so i've come to join in.

i'm surprised to see how many options you have for choosing what characters look like. it's a small touch, but something about it makes me happy. anyway, i'm slowly making my way through the dungeon, avoiding FOEs (after one completely killed my entire team) and just enjoying the pacing of everything.

i'm using a Dark Hunter, too, and she seems like she'll be good, but eventually. the poison attack is helping a lot, though.
dongle

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starting EO, finishing Doom2 on PSP
ryan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
starting EO, finishing Doom2 on PSP

I tried getting Doom and Doom 2 to run on my PSP, but no go. A few places had different ways of installing, which method did you use?
dongle

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DooMPSP-0.5

I added a much better MIDI patchset to it. I can upload it to megaupload or something. Just unzip in your game150 dir on your OE firmware and add wads and you're good to go.

This is the definitive portable DooM. GBA DooM is cute, but is missing the lighting, runs at a choppy framerate, and has kind of crappy music. PSP DooM is an exact port (based on LSDL DooM) with Timidity support for high quality music. It runs in high res, full screen, full FPS, and controls great with the analog nub.
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been prowling around the first floor for too long. It is time to be a man and kill the FOE in my path, but I fear for my troubador (Chekov), as he is sure to die.

I got to the second floor in Ultima Underworld, and I'm digging the fact that it's pretty much underground, sword-swingin' Deus Ex. I bashed open a door, wasting two (useless) weapons in the process, and found a flying potion inside. I quaffed it above the Dwarf King's vault and swooped in, guiltlessly stealing all of his treasure and fluttering just out of reach of the angry golem that tried so hard but so futilely to protect it. When I get to a high enough level, I'm going to kill one of the Goblin kings to see how the other reacts, and then kill him too.

dhex, did you get Daggerfall running? I've always wanted to try it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, daggerfall runs under dosbox in win2k pretty ok. the combat is kinda wiggy though. i probably have to tweak it some more.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bought Etrian Odyssey today.

Then I bought Touch the Dead instead.

Quote from the back of the box: "Some games want to train your brain. WE JUST WANT TO EAT IT (tm)"

So I got started on it. I don't have a rich history with light-gun games, so I don't have much to compare it to, but I really like it.

The presentation of the story is really good. I mean, there's not much in the way of story, but so much is told in the costuming of the zombies, the layout of the areas you're shuttled through, and all. I hit the boss at the end of the first chapter and died a couple times, so that's where I am right now. I hope to play more soon!

Anyone else tried it yet?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

System Shock Pocket causes my computer to freeze

Ultima 5 runs way, way too fast

I hate PC gaming.

Playing more EO still. I'm starting to really enjoy its deliberately slow pace. I'm also starting to understand better the way you're supposed to make progress in the game. It's not as hard as I once though now that i've wrapped my head around the pacing.

Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
I almost bought Etrian Odyssey today.

Then I bought Touch the Dead instead.

Quote from the back of the box: "Some games want to train your brain. WE JUST WANT TO EAT IT (tm)"

My roommate wanted to go by GameStop today. While we were there, I was looking through the DS games and couldn't find it, so I asked if they had it. The guy found the only display box sitting on the bottom shelf in a giant row of not-so-new titles.

A bit later my roommate asked the other GS clerk how much it was, and the guy launched into a five minute speech about how we should save our money, because we probably aren't as into old Eye of the Beholder-style RPGs as he is, 'cause he's really into them, and "even I was disappointed!!" Then he said we should buy Touch the Dead instead.

I guess he did say we should wait until it's available used so that we can make use of the 7-day money back guarantee if we don't like it, which is a lot better than just "don't buy this, it sucks."
dongle

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggerfall was the last Elder Scrolls game that I played. I really enjoyed it even though I never got far on the main quest.

helicopterp wrote:

Touch the Dead irritated me. I don't like that there's a reload animation in addition to the click and drag. It takes too long and, coupled with the apparently somewhat random timing of the head-throwing zombies, makes it difficult to properly plan ammo usage. I only get hit during reloads. I feel like the game hates me.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, moslo was in the zip file. i wouldn't leave you like that!

(obligatory lolz console kiddiez oh noes teh computars is making me thinks savea me marios post here)

Quote:

OPERATION

Mo'Slo is a program that runs programs. You execute Mo'Slo with
slowdown percent and your program's filename as command line
arguments. Mo'Slo then slows your computer and executes your program.

If you do not provide a filename extension (COM, EXE, or BAT),
Mo'Slo Deluxe first looks for a matching COM file, then an EXE file,
then a BAT file in that order. If the program to be slowed is not in
the current directory, you must type the complete path with the filename.

For example, if the default directory at the command line is the root
directory C:\, and your game 'game.com' is in a subdirectory
'mygames', the following command entered at the DOS prompt will run
'game.com' at 20.5% normal speed:

C:\> moslo /20.5 c:\mygames\game.com

Since many games use other files to keep high scores, bitmaps, etc.,
it's best to switch to the drive and directory in which the game is
located before running it. For example, if the program you want to run
is located on drive D: in the subdirectory 'mygames', and the default
directory is currently the root of C: (i.e. your command prompt looks
like 'C:\>'), then you would first switch to drive D:, then change to
the '\mygames' directory, then run Mo'Slo. Example command sequence:

d:
cd \mygames
moslo /20.5 game.com

When you exit your program in the normal fashion, you also exit Mo'Slo
and normal speed is restored. Mo'Slo doesn't stay resident in memory
and it doesn't alter the system clock.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may want to grab a C64 emulator for ultimas 1-5. the pc versions of them are much worse, audio-visually (4 color cga graphics, no music, etc).
i think there was an update for ultima 4 to add the better graphics and sound, but as far as i know, nothing like that has happened for u5.

ultima 6 and on, of course, are meant for the PC.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
the pc versions of them are much worse, audio-visually (4 color cga graphics, no music, etc).

are we talking about this pc ultima 5? i've always thought of it as the most gorgeous game in the series.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed.

so my attempts to run daggerfall have been not so hot, but it seems to work pretty well up around 80% cpu load, which i think is a bit too much maybe. i've had a few crashes in about an hour of play, and i don't remember the opening dungeon being in this insanely hard.

i'm going to start a new game of stalker and relax.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm, dess, maybe it's just up to u4 that are awful on pc, then?
does the pc u5 have music/sound?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has sound but no music that i remember. the earlier ones are four-color cga bleah, but i'm pretty sure four has more color. it looks much better with that patch that makes it pretty, anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it to the second strata in EO. The Stalkers on B3F were harder to kill than the boss of the first strata, thankfully.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultima 4 is 16 color ega, iirc. as is five. five's a bit more shiny.

i dig that kinda palette myself.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke down and bought FFXII. Thoughts:

You know how that Pirates of the Caribbean game had an auto-walk feature, where you could just pick a shop and it would warp you there? Yeah, desperately needed here. Unnecessarily large cities. No, "the moogling" isn't it. And you know how you can only talk to a little less than half the people in most towns? I'd be happy with talking to none of them, at all, ever. But about one in fifty will give you a prize! Ugh.

I get an FFTactics feel from a lot of parts, which is good. The battling! is entertaining. The random chests make me feel like I'm playing a game that wasn't designed for its engine.

If this storyline turns into "evil empire unlocks even greater, more ancient evil, news at 11" I'm going to turn it off.

It almost--almost!--feels like a game about adults doing adult things instead of idiot teenagers doing adult things, but thankfully they threw Vaan and Penelo in to piss me off. They game openly recognizes this as their role.

At the very least, it doesn't feel silly and rushed like FFX. I'm expecting it to come together very soon. Then I'm expecting it to fall apart. I really, really hate the towns. Someone needs to go back to that one town in Xenogears, you know the one.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
A bit later my roommate asked the other GS clerk how much it was, and the guy launched into a five minute speech about how we should save our money, because we probably aren't as into old Eye of the Beholder-style RPGs as he is, 'cause he's really into them, and "even I was disappointed!!" Then he said we should buy Touch the Dead instead.

I guess he did say we should wait until it's available used so that we can make use of the 7-day money back guarantee if we don't like it, which is a lot better than just "don't buy this, it sucks."

That guy should be fired. Out of a cannon and towards the sun.

Etrian Odyssey is the finest game I've played on the DS, this year! Finally I have a reason to dust off and play this system since around Thanksgiving. Just as I was thinking of selling this system! This game more than fulfills the hole left in my library since Wizardry DS was cancelled! I picked up the game on Sunday and immediately sank about 4 hours into it. I've not been gaming for more than 30 minutes a play for the past couple months, so this is amazing! It kicks my ass and doesn't care how much I cry!

It's a perfect melding of some of my favorite RPG styles, all polished off with a classic Wizardry/AD&D flair. I won't go into too many details regarding the actual combat, exploration, or leveling/statistics mechanics, since those are fairly typical if you're familiar with Dragon Quest or Wizardry. All you really need to know is that both exploration and combat are in the first person perspective, the touchscreen is used exclusively to draw and customize maps; jot down notes; occasionally double as a virtual keyboard when necessary; and that leveling up nets you increases in HPs, TPs, your stats, and 1 skill point.

Most dungeon crawlers provide little incentive for playing them save for the fun of dungeon crawling and powering up your characters. Etrian Odyssey has all this, and more! The game constantly provides you with excuses to explore and battle, in the form of missions and quests. Missions are jobs made available by Etria's ruling body, whereas quests are jobs taken from patrons of the local pub. Both involve lots of exploring and battling, usually in order to map parts of the labyrinth, slay a certain number of specific baddies, or gather a certain number of materials. Rewards include delicious cash or fancy new items. The game logs quests and missions separately, and you can always pull up a menu that lists which quests and missions are active, and which have already been completed.

Etria's ruling body also encourages you to log all encountered monsters and materials in one of two compendiums. Once logged, the appropriate entries are kept updated. You can always return to the town hall in order to check up on the stats and drops of monsters, or the selling price of materials.

You receive no cash for slaying monsters. You need to sell materials to Etria's shopkeeper for money, and complete quests and missions. Monsters drop copious amounts of materials, each monster in the game carries anywhere from 0-3 different types of materials, and once you get them to drop them, your monster book is updated with this info. You can even tell how many items new enemies are capable of holding, since the monster compendium will show 0-3 '???'s initially.

Selling materials to Etria's local shopkeeper is also crucial for another reason. Since the shopkeeper died and the store was inherited by his youthful granddaughter, she is unable to keep her store stocked with materials, thus, she's largely sold out of her best weaponry. By constantly providing her with materials, you're allowing her to create and stock better and better equipment. Sell her a few beast bones, and she'll make Bone Axes available, for example. Provide her with 5 Hard Shells and 5 Hardwoods, and she'll make Hand Axes available, etc. There's a steady and natural progression to how new equipment is unlocked, and it makes for a very satisfying mechanic, much less contrived than most RPGs of this type.

PROTIP: If you engage an FOE and there happens to be a second FOE nearby, be very careful! If you can't slay the first FOE within a couple of turns you will have another good friend of your enemy to contend with in the same battle. Dealing with a single FOE is already difficult enough, I assure you!
ryan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn of War was a whopping 10 missions. I had read it was 12, but I guess Relic felt they could wrap things up in an even shorter amount of time. At least the Gold Edition has Winter Assault, which I just started and am halfway through mission two. Winter Assault does a weird flipping during the levels, where the sides of Order and Chaos, two apiece, start off the level as one group and eventually switch over to the other. I'm not sure how much I'm enjoying this; right when I start to get into the groove of one, I'm tossed into the other, and they are often less developed.

I'm still slugging away in Titan Quest. I was surprised to find out that a friend of mine has logged in 6-8 hours less than me but is already past where I am. His hunter can sit in one area and act like a turret, mowing down everything with arrows before they even get close. Watching him play made the game seem like it's not much fun, though my mixture of magic and slugging it out is certainly enjoyable to me. Then again, he did enjoy EVE.

Bust-A-Move Bash kind of hurts my soul. It's still Bust-A-Move, which is a plus, but that damn remote makes it overly difficult to pull extreme right and left shots off. I end up rotating my wrist to pull them off, but that's only garnering a positive on-screen reaction about 30-40% of the time. I own three copies of Bust-A-Move and this copy is the only one I don't have a problem putting down. And, apparently, the classic controller only works on players 2-4, the first having to use the remote; yeah, the game would lose its Oh wow! A Wii game! factor with the classic remote, but at least then I could play it for longer than fifteen minutes.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how does the control work? you rotate the remote like the pointer onscreen? are there other options? my mother is big on the puzzle bobble and it would be nice to have a furiously multiplayer version to play with her.

finished episode 2 in gba doom. i'm probably going to stop there and wait for my copy of the snes port to arrive.

i managed to reach the third floor of etrian oddysey. i only stuck around long enough to read the message about blood chilling horrors and death. i did get caught by a FOE once on the second floor, but i was able to escape before it could attack. i'm pretty careful most of the time, and i've gotten all my characters up to level 6 now. i like the game but i don't think i'm going to have the time to really dig into it, and probably won't play much further.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game really picks up once you hit the 4th floor and have to go hunt down a new quarry.

Also it wasn't until the 4th floor that I've been able to finally mine some pretty valuable and useful things. At least I can afford a few Nectars now and don't have to run to the Apothecary after every misstep.
a_plus

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just installed deus ex, again, after deciding to see what what selectbutton.net was all about* and reading a thread about the game.

i downloaded the demo of it years ago, beat it in one sitting and went out and bought the game. i never did make it any farther than the first level! let's hope i can do better this time.

*way more fighting game love and japanophilia and testosterone than i was expecting, though i wasn't really expecting anything? how is that forum, generally?
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse than IC (from an experienced poster's perspective), more accessible, but not bad at all. Toups runs a tight ship (sorry James).
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, i just got sassed.

Last edited by Cycle on Wed May 23, 2007 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I get gang-raped everytime I try to express a different opinion.

no, i'm pretty sure what happens is people on the internet just type that your opinions are dumb! i'm pretty sure there's a world of difference!

a_plus wrote:
way more fighting game love and japanophilia and testosterone than i was expecting

that's a pretty good assessment! selectbutton is better than what came before in a lot of ways; it can be worthwhile to lurk but i wouldn't invest too much time or energy in it.

i started playing wizardry v: heart of the maelstrom snes version goddess knows why. tinkering with etrian oddysey has given me a weird craving for some wizardry. i've mapped out a lot of the first floor, though i don't have graph paper so my map is pretty imprecise. i just grabbed the default characters and have been running from anything bigger than a lizard. i might load the game on my game doctor, create my own characters, and really dig in. or i might let this drop for now; wizardry's a pretty big investment of time.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as i have a nostalgic twinge for graph paper maps, teh old skewl really expected you to have absolutely nothing better to do with months of your time. and maybe that was the genre's audience at the time, i don't know. i wasn't really paying attention at the time.

starting bard's tale three from scratch, even now, would take a good 90 days to get anywhere near powerful enough for the endgame. you kill and kill and kill on the last level of the first dungeon for dozens of character levels.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:

helicopterp wrote:

Touch the Dead irritated me. I don't like that there's a reload animation in addition to the click and drag. It takes too long and, coupled with the apparently somewhat random timing of the head-throwing zombies, makes it difficult to properly plan ammo usage. I only get hit during reloads. I feel like the game hates me.

How long did you play for?

The reload system takes a little getting used to, but properly planning ammo usage is a snap for me now. I've found that switching between the rifle and pistol is quicker than hitting reload on either one. It's a really stressful game. Just finished the second chapter. I really, really like it a lot so far.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pissed that Touch the Dead is $30. It was supposed to be a budget release, but then they started building up some press and decided to bump it up. BS to the M.A.X.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so how does the control work? you rotate the remote like the pointer onscreen? are there other options? my mother is big on the puzzle bobble and it would be nice to have a furiously multiplayer version to play with her.

If you're playing with more than one person, the second player (on) uses the other control schemes. Because I have only played single player, I have only had access to two of the methods: gun and baton. The gun method is the 'easy' setting, and it involves you pointing the remote/target where you want the bubble to go and firing. The baton method is the remote acting like the arrow, controlling it by holding the remote upright and moving it left and right; the regular gun method removes the target and allows for the remote to be in a more relaxed position during use. If you have another player, you can hook up the classic controller or the nunchuk (vertically) for them.

I went through about 175 stages last night using the normal gun method. Aside from the far sides being tricky to pull off, I also had a hard time distinguishing between blue/black and orange/red. Does your mother have good eyesight? If not, she might have the same problems. Heck, even if her vision is great she still might have problems. Multiplayer is also all handled on one screen, which can be extremely confusing when you factor in all of the UFO power-ups and the light trails created by the launcher.

Last edited by ryan on Tue May 22, 2007 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Made it to the second strata in EO. The Stalkers on B3F were harder to kill than the boss of the first strata, thankfully.

What?

Shit, I just started making trips to the Fenrir's lair. The first time I got down there I was thinking I would just try to take out some of the wolves down there... and .. well, I accidentally ran into Fenrir while trying to get out (I wasn't paying attention) and then I decided to just try to deal with him. Well, aparently this pissed off all the surrounding wolves and I ended up in a fight with Fenrir and two of the wolves and I died. It takes a really long time to get down there.

Also, what do you need to do to start getting revive poitions?

And, the skill/custom system is starting to irritate me because I have no idea how to unlock skills and I'm aparently sinking points into the wrong sections. Like, how do I train my protector to heal?

EO is much better than I thought it would be, honestly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 26 of 85

Jump to: