The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Oh, Shaper. I'm going to disagree with you about the "sega doesn't know how to develop a game for console release" on the basis of VF4 Evo alone. Having recently played that, Outrun 2006's console-version modes just feel like such a colossal miss.

Have you played either VF4 (non-evo) or VF5 home version? I mean, the exception kind of proves the rule. But I completely agree with you on EVO. It's shockingly good. Possibly the best arcade port of a game I've ever seen.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:

I really enjoyed the mission mode.

Well, Crazy Box was much more focused and compact. The mission mode in 2006 feels a little bloated and unnecessary. First you have to drive through every route, getting special request all the way through in order to unlock all the missions for standalone play. Then you have to go through each one in order in order to get a high rank, and the recycling of goals is absurd. They reuse the same 5 or 6 goals for all the missions, and it stops being imaginative and fun in a hurry. The Flagman goals are a little better, I'll grant you that.

Shaper: Yeah, probably.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

today i discovered that outrun 2006 has a first-person camera and that if you use that first person camera the irritating stick people and the ferrari license magically vanish! what's this voice saying "i want to go ahead"? maybe it's me! that line finally makes sense! unfortunately it's much harder to steer in this mode.

"are you going to give up?" are you going to shut up?

also star fox, which i bought from a certain alex savage (along with a copy of ogre battle!). i very nearly one-lifed path one of the game, but my ulterior motive for purchasing the cartridge was to test a certain rumor. as you may be aware, the star fox cartridge contains a graphics co-processor, the so-called "super fx chip", which enables the super snesicom to render the polygons that appear in star fox. it's the absence of this co-processor that prevents a snes back-up device (like my game doctor sf3) from running a rom of star fox (or, say, its unreleased sequel star fox 2) off a disk.

HOWEVER. the rumor goes that if you can provide that co-processor - by way of a super fx-carrying star fox cartridge plugged into the slot on top of the game doctor, it may be possible for device to run the rom using the chip on the cart. running star fox 2 on a console is my holy grail. will the rumor prove true? we shall see!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incidentally, my walkthrough video of star fox 2 seems to have turned up on google video.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went and finished Serious Sam 1.5 - Seriously Sexy Skyboxes, especially that last stage. Hubba hubba.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy goddamn crap: I'm trying to enjoy Spider-Man 3 for the Xbox 360 and it's very hard to! I don't want to fight stupid thugs in loincloths; I want to fight Venom! I don't want to swing through sewers; I just want to get my black suit and be a bad ass!

Arrrgh, for making me endure far too much before I get to any decent content, Spider-Man 3 for the Xbox 360 earns the following

Rating:

2 out of 5 beers

For all of the above plus terrible graphics and godawful controls, Spider-Man 3 for the Wii gets:

Rating:

1 out of 5 beers

For letting me fight Venom within five levels, and for being hard as fuck, The Amazing Spider-Man for the Nintendo Game Boy deserves:

Rating:

5 out of 5 beers

Similarly, for letting me skip all the bullshit, and for giving me the first game to ever let me feel like Spider-Man (and for letting me fight Electro, the Lizard, Doc Ock and, yes, Venom), Spider-Man VS. The Kingpin for the Sega Genesis nets:

Rating:

5 out of 5 beers
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The continue scene alone told me that Spiderman vs The Kingpin is the best comic hero adaptation since Sunsoft's Batman
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true! It's very true to the source material while providing a straightforward and very competent game that contains some unique and thematic twists (i.e. taking photos to earn money for web fluid; genius!).

To me, all movie tie-in games should be five- to ten-hour experiences at maximum. They should let you experience all the "good" parts of the movie, or something akin to them, and leave the rest on the floor. (If this can't be done through some genre or another, don't make the game!) In the case of SM3, one could assume that a player would want to:

• web-swing, wall-crawl and otherwise Spider-move around a city;
• partake in thrilling battles with the movie's main villains;
• experience the whole normal suit/symbiote dynamic

Spider-Man 3 does all these things, yes, but its problem is that it makes you do a hell of a lot between these moments—none of which, as a viewer coming fresh out of the movie, you really care about.

The menus in SM3 are complicated; there are move lists, city maps, progress/percentage counters, stats related to gangs and crime, and a whole lot more. All this is distracting, suffocating and, worst of all, unnecessary.

Do you, as a player, really care about fighting gang members? Do you care about stopping random crimes?

I think the game should have, really, two modes: a Story mode and a "sandbox" mode. Story mode would let you follow the plot of the movie (as terrible as it is) and ferry you from set-piece to set-piece. For me, as a movie-goer, this is what I want to dive into the moment I get home from the theatre. I want to fight the villains, do a bit of web-swinging, and get that good old-fashioned superhero feeling.

And then, sure, once I beat the five-hour Story mode, open up the "sandbox" mode; let me now explore New York, stop crimes, take silly photos for JJJ. There's nothing inherently wrong with that set-up, it's just that in the context of wanting to "play the movie," I don't want a 20-odd-hour investment. No, goddamn you, let me fight Venom the same evening I come home from the theatre or don't give me anything at all.

The notion of the black suit seems to be handled quite well in Spider-Man 3, but I don't know, because I'm stuck replaying the same freaking task of beating up a hokey collection of gang members for the 10th time. According to GameFAQs, I would have to invest many, many more hours into the game before I even got to this point.

So, yeah: I really like the box art, but am really let down by the game. Is the DS version any good? I bet that wouldn't take 20 hours to beat...

EDIT: Whoa, looks like I was right. This definitely seems more up my alley!
Koyetay

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I started playing Zelda: Twilight Princess for Wii. It kind of really annoyed me first, but after playing as the wolf for a while, I'm starting to enjoy it.

I've already died once. It was, uh, well that little bird that runs the shop pecked me to death when I had trouble finding the cash box so I could pay him.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that bird scene is the greatest thing in the game, as far as i'm concerned. it gave me such hope for the rest of the game (which was ultimately more or less squandered).

update on the star fox 2 project:

my sf doctor refuses to run the patched and translated rom, which fails its checksum. i want to try the original japanese roms, but that's unfortunately become hard to find. also, i think the coprocessor that would have been used in the star fox 2 cart is more advanced than the one in the original, which could mean that i'd need a yoshi's island cart, if even that. we'll see.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Do you, as a player, really care about fighting gang members? Do you care about stopping random crimes?

Actually, yeah! I loved just swinging around and stopping random crimes in Spider-Man 2 and to be honest, I would have liked the next game to just drop the stupid story missions and concentrate on the sandbox stuff. It sounds like they went in that direction with number 3, but went a really horrible way about it... which is dissapointing.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, I suppose that would make more sense than what's there. I sort of cringe whenever I hear a game has "missions"; that usually translates into "boring fetch quests." If the game was about stopping crime and fighting villains, I would probably be happier with it. Make it a real sandbox game, and quit giving the player arbitrary tasks.

Also, there is something so jarring about having this incredibly realistic (or surrealistic, I suppose), authentic "Spider-Man Experience™" only to land on the street, walk into a spinning spider marker that's currently clipping halfway into a truck, and "Press X for [Mission Name]".

After watching footage of the DS game, that certainly seems to be more to my tastes. Hmm....
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hit all the outrun goals with my intermediate car (that last twist in jungle is vicious), so i'm probably going to move on to an intermediate b. i managed to reach stage 13 in continous mode, too. i appreciate how the car i've been using requires me to anticipate curves and to better learn the courses.

star fox mocks my attempts at the second and third courses. i was able to make it up to the nuts highway chase at the end of course 2, but the asteroid stage of course 3 overwhelmed me and i had to back off.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Newmans have made their return to the Middle Ages via The Guild 2.

With two duels and my 50th birthday approaching, I quickly wooed a serf woman today and knocked her up. The kid has to live to be 12 before he can take over if I die, and that was okay until I was falsely accused and arrested. As I was being led away in chains, opting to not fight the guard, I started getting duel notices - apparently the game is confused and isn't aware that I'm not shooting at anyone.

The game crashed, either due to it being buggy or something not right with my new system (page fault in nonpage area - message), so I'm not sure what's going to happen. I believe I quicksaved a few minutes before that though. My herb shop has just recently been upgraded, allowing me to manufacture a liquid perfume for a very nice 700g; of course, it takes 5 minutes to make and I get 1, compared to the 3 per 1-2 minutes 50-80g powder perfume, so I need to break out the calculator and stopwatch to get some averages.

Once these matters are settled, I fully intend on saving up and arming around 5 thugs to bruise up the two noblewomen that insulted me. Or I might set their shops on fire. Or both.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the price drop I picked up Gurumin for the PSP.

It's a damn good purchase if you already have a PSP. I have some minor complaints, and the first couple of levels are deceptively easy, but once the game gets rolling it becomes quite good.

I may write more soon.

Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
my sf doctor refuses to run the patched and translated rom, which fails its checksum. i want to try the original japanese roms, but that's unfortunately become hard to find. also, i think the coprocessor that would have been used in the star fox 2 cart is more advanced than the one in the original, which could mean that i'd need a yoshi's island cart, if even that. we'll see.

Yes, there are actually 2 versions of the chip. The FX chips on Starfox, Stunt Race, and Vortex run at half the speed of the chip that is on Yoshi's Island. Doom should also work if you can't find Yoshi's Island.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Gurumin impressions

Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any favorable comparison to Megaman Legends has me sold. I will go ahead and procure Gurumin this weekend!

Hopefully it's short enough to complete in time for Crush.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
Any favorable comparison to Megaman Legends has me sold.

I thought I may be drawing connections that weren't there, but I talked with Wes about it and he agreed with me on the MML comparison. I can't put my finger on how closely they're related but I'm sure you'll see the connections. Anyways, it's a top teir PSP game for sure, and I don't think I mentioned how wonderful of a world setting this is set in. I mean, real original fairy tale stuff here: it's refreshing.

EDIT: Crush is coming out in the US that soon?! Or is this the import? Anyways, like I said, if my estimates are correct the game shouldn't take more than 10 - 15 hours to complete (unless there's more to the game than meets the eye).

dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my new outrun car has a roof. bye stick-people! i still can't find the button to turn voices off, though.

so about unlocking cars in outrun 2006: there are really only four models (eight, if you include the "outrun" variations). every car in any single class has the same stats. there's no reason, as far as i can tell, to unlock more than one car in any class, unless you're a ferrari fetishist.

how's snes doom? i could use a decent console port of doom to hold me over until xboxes are sanely priced.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNES DooM is terrible.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing OutRun 2006 with a friend, which in my opinion makes the unlocking a much better experience. Rather than thinking about how it's holding us back from the content, it's more like a shared project we're working on. I don't think there's been an overarching goal other than "beat missions." We spent all the points on music anyway.

Also, somehow I didn't realize until just recently that the cars in each class were all the same. I don't get it! I'd always carefully scroll through all the available ones before each race too. I think it's because the stat bars disappear momentarily before the next car appears that confused me.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crackdown's arsenal is bigger than necessary. The existing guns pretty much exhaust the possible combinations of range, power, clip size, and presence or absence of a scope. This may be why I lost interest in the game just five bosses short of the end.

Two nights ago, I purchased and downloaded the "Gettin' Busy" content pack, and used the new guns to finish the game. They're such a departure from the rest of the equipment that I spent the intervening time just thinking about how the game's dynamic changes with their addition.

The minigun is slow and powerful. I don't like it much, but it works, especially as attached to the dirt buggy.

The lobber is interesting. It's a kind of homing rocket launcher. The clip holds five projectiles, which can be fired in rapid succession; they arc out randomly, and then spin toward enemies. The explosions are very small, though, and weaker than usual: with three stars in explosives, a single rocket didn't do enough damage to kill a single gang member. However, it did set him on fire, and the subsequent damage finished him off. Shooting two or three rockets toward a cluster of enemies can pretty much demolish the group. The gun starts off with 100 shots, so it certainly feels more cost-effective than the existing explosive options. It's kind of fun to try to get the most efficient use out of it.

The final gun, the harpoon, is what pulled me back in and got me to finish. It can only hold three shots at a time, and it holds a maximum of 30 shots. It more than makes up for this in power: the harpoon will instantly kill any non-boss enemy in the game, regardless of their current or maximum health. This would make it perfect for taking out the lieutenants' various bodyguards, except for that small clip size. It also does a tiny amount of damage to bosses, so there's a bit of tension in the decision to carry it, let alone to pull it out. It does have a scope, though, so it's perfect when you've cleared out the surrounding areas and you're getting ready to approach the room the boss is in. You can zoom in, pick off the bodyguards, and switch to something else to fight the boss. The fact that it pins enemies to the walls is just a bonus, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway. I don't normally dwell on firearm efficiency in my videogames, but I guess the new guns had some kind of profound impact on me.
aerisdead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so about unlocking cars in outrun 2006: there are really only four models (eight, if you include the "outrun" variations). every car in any single class has the same stats. there's no reason, as far as i can tell, to unlock more than one car in any class, unless you're a ferrari fetishist.

I'd swear they feel different in subtle ways. I may be wrong but I perform far better in some cars than others, even in the same class.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Anyway. I don't normally dwell on firearm efficiency in my videogames

that was your first mistake!

uh, anyway, i'm plunking away at ultima 7 here and there. i'd forgotten how fucked the UI was, but how charming the interactions are. combat still sucks, though. (exult adds a pause feature for the otherwise real-time combat)

i also think it's the only game to feature a super-powerful gardening tool.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i also think it's the only game to feature a super-powerful gardening tool.

You obviously haven't played Harvest Moon.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i think that would go without saying.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
SNES DooM is terrible.

It is terrible from the perspective of the PC version, but you know what? By SNES standards it's fucking impressive. I played it all the way through back in the day. Sure, my eyes hurt, but the soundtrack was so good I still enjoyed it. I still think it's better than the 32X or Jaguar versions, and it's certainly better than the godawful 3DO or Saturn ports.

Dess, I have the GameFan review of this game; would you like me to scan and post it? It's gushing yet, I feel, actually accurate.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I still think it's better than the 32X or Jaguar versions, and it's certainly better than the godawful 3DO or Saturn ports.

What about Doom 64?

dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Dess, I have the GameFan review of this game; would you like me to scan and post it?

you know i live for that stuff.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously love Doom 64. The day that's out for the VC is the day... uh... I guess the day I buy an N64 game for the VC?

Doom 64, remember, is a ground-up redesign. And god, those sound effects and that music... so, so good. I have the original giant-box release of PS1 Doom, which retains the creepy audio.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Lestrade wrote:
Dess, I have the GameFan review of this game; would you like me to scan and post it?

you know i live for that stuff.

Then here you go! Stupid-high-quality scans of the two-page Doom review for SNES. (4 MB Zip file) Tell me what you think!
ryan

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of stuff scanned and posted online - Next-Generation's first issue Virtua Fighter preview, Ultra Videogames' VF3 preview, etc. - but the quality is so-so. Have scanners improved much? My system then was too slow to scan anything too high; I might try hooking it back up and seeing if its highest settings are good enough.

Warhammer: Dawn of War continues to dominate my heart. I can see why people mention the universe inspiring Warcraft, though this feels like Relic was inspired a bit by Warcraft 2. Ah, bombarding a rally point before assaulting it with bulky space marines makes my heart melt.

In The Guild 2 I am having a rough go, about 20 enemies are constantly setting fire to shop and house. Despite the fact that I am now 60, with young Scott Newman and Hobbes Newman away continuing their educations, I'm having to resort to fighting them off myself.

My grandmother has been sick for 5 weeks now, with the latest round involving a stroke followed immediately by pneumonia. I've been playing games to distract myself, and The Guild 2's visuals and relaxing music has provided a good choice. I'm about to go trade in some stuff to try to get Titan's Quest for free, and I have Diablo 1 queued up at goozex - I'm in the mood for some light RPGing. I have Shining Force III in the Saturn, but the controller isn't long enough for me to play it comfortably. Oh, wireless, how you have spoiled me.

Last edited by ryan on Tue May 15, 2007 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God of War 2, In easy mode. Loads of good (albeit gory) popcorn moments. Very well paced, slightly annoying puzzles where you know what you have to do, but take ages trying to find the bits you need (ie. movable statues).

I'm trying to play through it once before Raw Danger (ie. SOS Final Escape 2 or Disaster Report 2) comes out here in Britain. So I can part exchange it for a really good price.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
Warhammer: Dawn of War continues to dominate my heart.

Are you running this on a particular good/new system? As an ex-40K player, I've always been interested in picking up this and the expansions, my only worry is whether it'll actually be playable on my rig.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
SNES DooM is terrible.

It is terrible from the perspective of the PC version, but you know what? By SNES standards it's fucking impressive.

It may be a technical achievement but that doesn't make it any less terrible. And it has more pixellation that DooM on the GBA, a system which has a lower screen resolution.

If anyone wants a port of DooM they should really go for the GBA version.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Are you running this on a particular good/new system? As an ex-40K player, I've always been interested in picking up this and the expansions, my only worry is whether it'll actually be playable on my rig.

Yeah, I actually put together a new system very recently. C2D 6300 with an 8800gts and whatnot. I've never had a really good PC so I figured I would go all out (as far as my conscious would allow me to sleep at night).

The demo's pretty fun! I think there's a demo for both expansions, too. I really want to try the latest expansion, the one that turns it into a RISK-style game, and only recently found out that it's a standalone release; although if you have the original and first expansion it unlocks those races in multi, though I see me playing more skirmish than online play.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, RTS or strategy in general on-line tends to get old very quickly because you either learn the ways to exploit the engine or you lose. It sounds dickish; I don't really see much 'strategy' in these titles in the traditional sense.

Then again, I feel very similarly about the single-player in the Advance Wars series (or Wars series for the pedants).
a_plus

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dhex"]
Quote:
ultima 7 ... combat

if i remember correctly, you can pretty easily outfit your entire crew with ridiculously powerful weapons (two-handed swords worked well for me) before the time you first get to british's castle, and don't really have to worry about combat? i never found the game challenging with regards to combat at all.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you totally can, but the combat is still annoying as far as the interface goes. it's a drag, maaaaaaaaan....

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Yeah, RTS or strategy in general on-line tends to get old very quickly because you either learn the ways to exploit the engine or you lose. It sounds dickish; I don't really see much 'strategy' in these titles in the traditional sense.

Then again, I feel very similarly about the single-player in the Advance Wars series (or Wars series for the pedants).

Yeah, the computer can't handle whirlwind tanks very well. The use of rally points makes it a bit different than most. This was really refined in Company of Heroes, which manages to be something where strategy is needed without having to rely on a hero unit. Dawn of War is just fun though: the units are great (he can use jump jets AND has a chainsaw?! I can rally around a sergeant when morale is about to break!? yessss!), the story does a good job of introducing elements from the universe without it being annoying to either newcomers or old fans, and the game has so much pomp to it that I can't help but find it endearing.

If you want something that's less about exploiting the engine, Myth and Kohan do a great job of that limiting that by focus on lack of resources and city management, respectively.

-

Also, thanks to some old Xbox and PSP games, Titan Quest is now in the collection. Tonight, I'm coming after you, Random Mythological Creatures.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
SNES DooM is terrible.

It is terrible from the perspective of the PC version, but you know what? By SNES standards it's fucking impressive.

It may be a technical achievement but that doesn't make it any less terrible. And it has more pixellation that DooM on the GBA, a system which has a lower screen resolution.

If anyone wants a port of DooM they should really go for the GBA version.

True enough, but what's amazing about SNES Doom is that unlike the Saturn, 3DO, 32X, GBA or even the Jaguar versions of Doom (the latter was programmed by John Carmack himself), it actually contains a texture set as varied as the PC original. Sure, there are no floor or ceiling textures, but the walls aren't all SPARTAN66, or whatever that damn file was (I made WADs back in the day).

But to each his own. I really think it's worth a try, just to see. And hey! Blood-red cartridge!

Anyway, more Doom stuff for you people:

1) The entire 8-page feature on SNES Doom from Nintendo Power Volume 76 (Sep. 1995) as a 150 DPI PDF file

2) The in-house review of the game from the same issue (as a 150 DPI JPG)

Enjoy! I won't have the files there forever, so download them and pass them along as you please.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
If you want something that's less about exploiting the engine, Myth and Kohan do a great job of that limiting that by focus on lack of resources and city management, respectively.

I played a ton of Myth and Myth 2 back in the day -- they had the same problem with online, where it was all about being able to pull back your units at the absolute last second, which not only made it not too fun to play, it also made it not too fun to watch.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lestrade, those scans are great. nintendo power's review opens with the webster's dictionary definition of doom! classy! "scareware supreme!"

pirates if it's alright i can get the snes game for four dollars so i think i'm gonna go ahead seeing as it's vital to my star fox 2 project anyways.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
ryan wrote:

I played a ton of Myth and Myth 2 back in the day -- they had the same problem with online, where it was all about being able to pull back your units at the absolute last second, which not only made it not too fun to play, it also made it not too fun to watch.
all just watching a group of berserkers and a group of myrkridia running back and forth like they're playing basketball

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
pirates if it's alright i can get the snes game for four dollars so i think i'm gonna go ahead seeing as it's vital to my star fox 2 project anyways.

Well, if it's vital for Star Fox 2...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey is doom gba like good

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHEX stop playing Ultima 7 and play Ultima Underworld. It's where all the quality's at.

Hey, now I have a heart and a half.
dongle

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doom gba is ok. doom 2 gba is good.

DoomDS is better and DOOMPSP really kicks some ass.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Bacon Lips wrote:
DHEX stop playing Ultima 7 and play Ultima Underworld. It's where all the quality's at.

Hey, now I have a heart and a half.

yes, it was kind of you to suggest.

does ultima underworld run in dosbox? i've never had a machine that would run it, and i would like to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 24 of 85

Jump to: