The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i found something. (images)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: i found something. (images) Reply with quote

technically my mother found it, cleaning out the old computer desk that is now housing my st. it's an old pc games catalog from epic megagames, formerly potomac computer systems, currently epic games.

front cover.

one must fall 2097. one-on-one fighting game with robots. never played it.

jazz jackrabbit. i think i only ever played the demo but damn if i didn't find every secret in those four stages i was given, including some kind of hidden bird paradise.

epic pinball. i think the only table i ever got to play was enigma, which is probably the most unconventional of the bunch.

tyrian and xargon.

i don't know what xargon is, but tyrian enthralled me when i was little. between the soundtrack - i used to leave the jukebox on the options menu open and listen while watching the swirling star visualizations in the background - and the super arcade mode - where playing through the game with one ship would unlock a new, often more difficult to play ship - i played a lot of this game. i found a secret space invaders (but with ale?) minigame and a password-accessed game that was a kind of realtime scorched earth. also nifty was discovering that the title (not the one pictured here) has rotational symmetry.

jill of the jungle, brix, castle of the winds, solar winds, epic puzzle pack.

jill of the jungle is an amazing game; i still have a disk of the full version. what's most interesting about the game is that each episode (there are three) takes a different approach to organizing the world: the first has a hub stage that plays with the mechanics of any other stage; in the second, all of the stages are joined end-to-end in one long map; the third and last game has a world map, seen from overhead, with jill and the stages as tiny sprites. it is a source of consternation that i cannot get the games to run correctly on this computer.

castle of the winds intrigued me, but i've never been able to make very much progress with it. it has randomly-generated dungeons but is closer in execution to a pc rpg. solar winds i remember playing the demo of but not much about it. brix looks like a blatant puzznic clone - so blatant that i wonder if they had the license.

back cover.

the focus of epic megagames, at this time in their history, seems to be in emulating the console experience on the (dos) pc. "brings your pc intense super-high-speed action you expect to find only in cartridge-based games" reads the spread on (the clearly sonic the hedgehog-inspired) jazz jackrabbit. jill of the jungle is nothing if not an attempt to duplicate the games of the famicom / nes. one must fall promises "the kind of 'feel' you've been waiting for in pc combat games". there's a blurb on the super famicom-inspired gravis gamepad on the last page.

there's a focus on graphics and sound - on presentation - that to my mind more resembles that of the 16-bit console era than of the pc games scene of the time.

these people now make sequels to unreal, including gears of war. the illustrator of tyrian hosts a blog called lost garden.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Epic back in the day, can't say the same these days. But damn wasn't One Must Fall 2097 the raddest robot fighting game of its time.

I never could complete Xargon ;_;
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dess can i have that brochure

epic actually still released interesting games (well, one promising one was canned) when they released the original unreal, but after that it was all FPS games.

One Must Fall is rad and is also freeware now. I was in the beta of the sequel which was a huge flop Sad they set their sights too high for an indie company, I think. I enjoyed it, though.

jazz jackrabbit is awesome. I enjoyed the second game too, which was like sonic meets jill of the jungle or something. it's a shame the third one got cancelled, I have the beta and it actually worked pretty well in 3D.

I only played the Android pinball table in epic pinball, which is the table included in the demo. I always wanted the full game (even though the screen scrolls, which I hate in pinball games), minaly for Enigma because it looked so fucking weird. also if you kept reading the "about the game" stuff or whatever, they would eventually give you a cheat to make you go away.

Tyrian is tyrian and is awesome. the followup games were pretty great too.

never played xargon!

i played all the MORE GREAT GAMES, too.

Also, I love this:

HANK LEUKART
INTERNET GAME REVIEWER!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
INTERNET GAME REVIEWER!!!

Back when it actually meant something.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: i found something. (images) Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
it is a source of consternation that i cannot get the games to run correctly on this computer.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net (!!)

i have so, so many fond memories of playing most, if not all of these games! i'd be willing to bet that at my parents' house are tons of fliers like this from other companies.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dess this post just made me rediscover a game I've bene trying to remember for about 10 years.

electrocop being the title in question.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for star control 2 lite, you can't beat solar winds.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a DOS shareware thread yet?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invasion of the mutant space bats of doom!

now it is.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
electrocop being the title in question.

Wait, do you mean ElectroMan?

You should search for "Electro Body" too, which is the same game but unlocalized*, and I think had different levels.

* The internet says it's German but the internet is stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: i found something. (images) Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net (!!)

woohoo!

thanks to dosbox (and this tutorial courtesy dark age iron savior) i have just played through the first episode of jill of the jungle for the first time in years. i forgot the music was this lovely. it's such a well put-together game, with secrets opening into areas you've seen before but couldn't reach, and the boomerang-like behavior of the knife makes bapping enemies very satisfying. i love the way the first episode ends: with a journey through space to the start of the second episode, in a field of huge glowing mushrooms.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is seriously tempting me to spend the rest of the day making rediscoveries. I just unearthed one of my old demo disks (Cannon Fodder, God of Thunder, Rise of the Triad and ElectroMan!)

One Must Fall 2097 was good fun; I still have the SNES-style box the shareware came in, even though the game itself is long gone.

100% USA

It even came with a trading card and a mini-poster!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god of thunder is a joyous little game. i only ever played the first episode - shareware was really such a wonderful thing - but i played all the way through it and had the music stuck in my head for years.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the trading card has a little eagle!

Continuing in the same vein as my previous post, did you know that there was a terrible, shallow demo of One Must Fall that came out years before the actual shareware release, featuring human fighters instead of robots? I.. I remember playing it a little?

While I'm here, I might as well mention The Last Eichhof, which is the only shooter I've ever loved. This is simultaneously because I have terrible taste and because the soundtrack is this incredible cacophony of random samples of German drinking songs interspersed with cartoon sound effects. To my eternal chagrin, the sound code is so brittle that it only worked on an 8-bit Sound Blaster; for a brief, shining moment at the beginning of its development, DOSBox's Sound Blaster support was pitiful enough that it actually worked, but to my knowledge, at this point in time, The Last Eichhof is basically unplayable on any modern computer, DOSBox or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe latest version of DOSBox actually plays Build engine games at a good speed so I've spent some time remembering just how ridiculously tough Blood is but how hilarious it gets when you have dynamite and a room full of cultists. But shit those choking hands are annoying little buggers.

Six wrote:
Rise of the Triad

WinROTT for double points.

ApM wrote:
Continuing in the same vein as my previous post, did you know that there was a terrible, shallow demo of One Must Fall that came out years before the actual shareware release, featuring human fighters instead of robots? I.. I remember playing it a little?

The thing I remember most about that is that you could edit the scrolling text and write vulgar messages, which is what I did on the school computers in the sixth grade. After that noone was allowed to use them. It would have been a real shame if I hadn't pirated several Super Seeker and Super Solvers games as well as the registered version of Wolfenstein 3D, McKids and Captain Comic beforehand. Noone found out and I was laughing to myself all the way home.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I do too, actually! I never realized it didn't see commercial release. (Perhaps for the best.)

Quote:
While I'm here, I might as well mention The Last Eichhof, which is the only shooter I've ever loved. This is simultaneously because I have terrible taste and because the soundtrack is this incredible cacophony of random samples of German drinking songs interspersed with cartoon sound effects. To my eternal chagrin, the sound code is so brittle that it only worked on an 8-bit Sound Blaster; for a brief, shining moment at the beginning of its development, DOSBox's Sound Blaster support was pitiful enough that it actually worked, but to my knowledge, at this point in time, The Last Eichhof is basically unplayable on any modern computer, DOSBox or not.
It seems to work fine in DOSBox! And, um, wow.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:

I bought this game TWICE as a kid only to find that it would always freeze a few minutes in. Once I got to play just long enough to have some fun with the warp drive, which was as close as I could ever get to beating the game.

In retrospect I'm not sure if I could have just saved and loaded a lot.

Also the Dosbox banner wants me to play Dune 2. The Genesis port isn't bad, though!
a_plus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god, i was obsessed with jill of the jungle as a kid! i could beat the first episode in one life, getting all the items and secrets in something like five seconds. i always really wanted to play the other episodes.

solar winds is a lot more difficult than i remember it being. i managed to beat episode 1 ages ago and even downloaded the second episode (i think on the old 2400 baud modem?). i never did play part 2 though!

also, just popping into my head: zzt and megazeux.
Six

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always loved the opening dialogue of Solar Winds.

YOU ARE MORE UGLY

I remember the ending of the first episode, but not a lot of the actual plot. I guess I mostly watched my brother play it.

Thread needs more Apogee, still. Stargunner was their last hurrah before they started going exclusively by the 3D Realms moniker. I just noticed that it was released as freeware a few years back; I'm going to give it a go because I've always wondered about those weapons they locked out of the shareware version.

(Also, according to Wikipedia this week is the tenth anniversary of the Duke Nukem Forever announcement!)
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke Nukem Forever, what's that? The name of a canned missionpack?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
also, just popping into my head: zzt and megazeux.

hell yes. i keep meaning to find a reason to throw something together in zzt but i never do.

of the original shareware episodes, city was the only one i could finish without cheat codes. the super zzt games, on the other hand, are pretty much perfect.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$24 for space bats? i dunno man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't even remember paying that much for them back in the day.

i still have a disk with both games on it (plus a totally surreal bonus game where you fight lips in outer space) around here somewhere, but it's corrupted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:

Ah! I love(d) Solar Winds! I drove my parents nuts when I played it on our old 286. It and Castles II would beep and boop like mad.

In Solar Winds you would have to use your hyperdrive to go somewhere, but it would take 20-30 minutes to get there. The entire time I'm traveling to some unknown location, my parents are trying to ignore the BEEP ... BEEP ... BEEP while they watch TV. Ah, thanks for putting up with me.

I only had the shareware version of it - somewhere in our attic there is a box full of shareware boxes, some with the discs still inside ... mmmm nostalgia - so I was unable to play past the beginning. I remember trying to get the unlimited ammo code from the number on the back, failing horribly in my attempt to convince the person that I had actually, really, truly purchased the game.

Old PC gaming always gets me a little misty.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
YOU ARE MORE UGLY

This needs a banner, stat.
EDIT! Oh, excellent.
Six wrote:
It seems to work fine in DOSBox! And, um, wow.

Oh HELL YES. Apparently the version I had kicking around on my hard drive was subtly defective, as the Underdogs link I gave works. GodDAMN I missed this game.

I remember when I first downloaded this from some random FTP site, the four megabyte download was a fairly big deal. At the time I was using my brother's university UNIX account; no fancy-pants graphical web-browsers or really multitasking of any sort. When you were downloading a file, that was all you were doing online. A freeware game called BEER.ZIP that was that big had to be awesome; clearly not the random, disposable crap-I-hacked-together-on-the-weekend that was so prevalent on the shareware scene. (Someone tell me here that they played with the PC-SIG library at their school when CD-ROMs were new and exciting!)

Well, The Last Eichhof is random and disposable, but also TOTALLY AWESOME. I'd say 56k beware, but screenshots of this game in PNG format average 3kb, so just deal, guys.

In what is perhaps the least auspicious start to any game ever, this screenshot shows the entire first level. Spinning beer bottles come from the top of the screen, circle around the Alpha Helix logo, and are systematically destroyed in the time it takes to belt out a single verse from some random drinking song (which I was still able to sing a half-assed phonetic version of from memory). Then the stage ends.

The "shop" screen that shows up between levels, to allow you to upgrade your beer bottle with external weaponry. I always load up on dunkels, which shoot enemy-seeking bottle caps. Trust me -- buy the "I Want To Be Fast" option immediately. Extra lives ("Bonus Gutteres") are only $0.30, and I am not ashamed to credit-feed the hell out of that option. The background music here makes heavy use of slide whistles. (Later on, this screen is preceded by a "sell your weapons" screen which loops a bar from Pink Floyd's "Money".)

This shot from the first level doesn't look like much of a much, but it's at this point that the sound of a Swiss yodeller transitions smoothly into the sound of Goofy screaming, which transitions into a trumpet playing "Charge!" while an announcer says something in a language I don't understand. I think it's my favourite moment in the game.

Early on in the third stage, there is a delightful Space Invaders homage. Notice the different explosion graphics -- once you hit stage 3, all explosion sprites arbitrarily change to these ones. (All enemies use the same explosion graphics -- even the bosses -- though they generally trigger different sounds.)

This particular attack by the third-stage boss is accompanied by the sounds of vomiting.

The fourth stage, "No More Cocktails", is where things start to get really awesome. Do battle with Jack Daniel's! Watch Pac-Man eat an apple!

And I just can't leave out the beer stein-wielding Santa Clauses! When you destroy them, you hear the sound of a shotgun cocking and a dude going, "Woah."

The last level is called "The Day After", and it deals with getting through your workday with an enourmous hangover. As the toilets spew forth more spinning beer bottles, a particularly unpleasant vomit sound plays in the background. Those aspirin boxes are particularly nasty; if you don't dispatch them quickly, they open up and fire 10 shots directly at you, one pill at a time. Other notable enemies: Alka-Seltzer, glasses of water, the Windows and Mac logos, alarm clocks and mugs of coffee.

Also, the flying toaster minefield! Shooting a flying toaster releases an absurdly fast bullet aimed directly at you. As this is the only place in the game where shooting constantly is a disadvantage, it sneaks the hell up on you.

The final boss of the game?

YOUR BRAIN.

Unfortunately, while the audio cues triggered a lot of decade-old muscle memories, I was not able to apply the hair of the dog that bit me, and my brain prevailed.

I have failed small, independent breweries everywhere! OH NOSE.

In conclusion, download the hell out of this game.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELL! I thought your original description of this game sounded familiar.

I played the snot out of this game back in high school. You are correct in that the best thing about it is the utterly insane music and sound effects.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:

Six wrote:
Rise of the Triad

WinROTT for double points.

I remember playing this ages ago and just tried the most recent version, but I still get this bug where restoring a game will make me unable to move. The only thing I can seem to do is shoot. Do you have that problem and/or do you know a solution? It's a pain in the ass.

Also I wish I could play in a window!

I just checked the OMF:BG website, and it seemed to be a total flop. It makes me sad, it was actually pretty damn fun once you got past the flaws. The last update says the game has gone gold and is in stores and there seems to have been no updates since then. The forums are still up, but apparently anyone who still plays needs to organise a time if they want a game. I can't believe it was all the way back in 2003... I should probably track down a copy of the game, I never did buy it. Now I feel guilty! It was cheap, too!

I guess the solo expansion they were planning which would bring back the RPG and adventure elements is out the window Sad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played through jill goes underground.

it's fabulous. tim sweeney takes all the elements he put in place in the first game and explores them in a thorough, videogamey way. you can tell he's coming off of putting together zzt, as a lot of the level design - in particular the parts where the game sends you to collect a number of keys in an order of your choosing - is reminiscent of it. and it has that same put-together-in-an-editor feel, which is why the voice of the developer comes through so strongly.

i love the way this game ends - with jill leaping upwards toward the surface, each jump earning her a jump power-up that makes her next jump higher, closer to escape. it's one of the few details about the series that's stuck with me to this day; it was probably the first instance of blatant gameplay-as-narrative that ever impressed me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll post solar winds 2 if you post jillojun 2&3
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been trying for years to find a game called "the amazing adventures of ansi dude". apparently because i kept remembering the name wrong!

searching for it i found this site. i played a lot of these games! i actually just recently reinstalled mission maze off of that shareware disc matt posted a while ago.

text-mode games always enchanted me, because of the way every screen and every stage is constructed from the same building blocks. look at the fifth screen on ansi dude, where a portrait of an eye is constructed out of various wall objects that have their own purposes within the game system; graphics and game are the same.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've finished jill saves the prince, the last episode in the jill of the jungle series. the stages have that sense of place that was absent in the second episode's more videogamey landscapes (the world map helps with this too), and it carries through all the way to the (excellent) final stage. if i remember correctly, you can exit the stage without rescuing the prince and have to repeat the stage. rescuing a prince is a cute inversion of old videogame plot tropes that i imagine tim sweeney feeling very clever about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

episode 1 is shareware and can probably be found easily
a_plus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oof, parts 2 and 3 of jill of the jungle are way more difficult than 1 ever was.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's those friggin demons!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i've been hunting for a shareware title i used to play a lot of. i'm pretty sure it was called "evolve!", and it was an a-life sim of sorts. two species compete at any given time, their behavior decided by a grid of stimuli and reactions filled in by the player (like "how do i react when surrounded by enemies?"). nutrition is gained either from eating plants (which periodically respawn) or by hunting the other species, which requires a hunting party of at least three. enough nutrition means an invidivual can reproduce. the child's behavior grid may randomly be altered according to the species's "mutation threshold", simulating evolution.

when paused either a snail-like creature or pillar of eyes might saunter by in a cute manner. i also remember the tutorial features species called "hatfields" versus "mccoys", as well as "salt" versus "slugs".

i originally got it off an old shareware disc called "empire of games". the last time i tried to install it it wouldn't run on my computer. i think it should run under dosbox. i'm scared this game may have vanished without a trace. can anyone help?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing jill of the jungle put me in the mood to replay super zzt. i think the trilogy is really similiar to the jill games in structure: monster zoo is similiar to the original jill - a bunch of themed stage held together by a vague premise and an expansive hub area; proving grounds is like jill goes underground - a linear journey a bunch of very clever by arbitrarily videogamey stages; and lost forest most resembles jill saves the prince - an expansive game with a fine sense of place, and the least linear game in the trilogy.

or maybe not! either way, i think i'm going to have to play these soon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the heck

jazz jackrabbit

epic pinball
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a gravis gamepad on the shelf in toy factory!

i want to play enigma, but it always freezes on me. (what an enigma)
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something here just reminded me of Astrotit which I used to play on my Dad's old DOS PC.

http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppert/games/astrotit.htm

It's a CGA Space Invaders clone. You are a spunking cock. You have to destroy falling breasts and bibles with jizz. Good fun!

He also had these amazing digitized porn movies with 1-bit graphics, which you could speed up and slow down by pressing F9 and F10. They probably would have required millions of dollars worth of video capturing equipment to make, so perhaps it was done by some college kid when he had the computer room to himself or something like that. I can't imagine it was ever a commercial endeavour.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrotit wrote:
Destroy falling objects with your penis*.

* This may be a 1st for you women.

do men really have to regularly deflect incoming debris with their cocks?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's hard work but someone has to do it. debris ain't gonna cockslap itself.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
He also had these amazing digitized porn movies with 1-bit graphics, which you could speed up and slow down by pressing F9 and F10. They probably would have required millions of dollars worth of video capturing equipment to make, so perhaps it was done by some college kid when he had the computer room to himself or something like that. I can't imagine it was ever a commercial endeavour.

Hahahah yeah my first porn movies were FLC/FLI animations as well
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I put dosbox on this computer and can finally run older games at full speed. I've been spending some time with blood, great game but not as great as Duke in my opinion.

I've been spending most of my time with Death Rally, though, one of the last titles released under the Apogee title. It's a great little over-head racer, from the developers who would later save 3D Realms with Max Payne. You win money after races and climb the international ladder. Upgrade your care, or buy new ones, buy weapons from the black market or sabotage another player. Run over spectators! One of my favourite parts were side-missions, where you were paid to take out a certain racer or pick up some drugs on your way through the course.

The game is very playability (although collision could have been handled a bit better) and I like how you have to change your strategies as you progress. For instance, an early strategy is to stay behind at the start of the race and machinegun everyone from behind, but later on the other cars start dropping mines behind them so it's no longer such a great idea.

Also, it features a cameo by Duke Nukem!

Also, great soundtrack.

Also, awesome game.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well does Blood run? I work with a guy who worked on it and he's always talking about how awesome the multiplayer was and how he wishes he could get it going on modern computers.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Death Rally was fantastic.
Actually, does it have an 8 character limit for names? I think that's where i started using "kirkjerk"!

What I really loved was that little bit of "flavor" text between races. I remember getting some email (or, err, something) from the guy who wrote that... unfortunately I wasn't much of an archivist back then and I have no idea what happened to it. He mentioned something about how it was his own initiative...
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
How well does Blood run? I work with a guy who worked on it and he's always talking about how awesome the multiplayer was and how he wishes he could get it going on modern computers.

It runs virtually perfectly on my computer. It helps to give DOSbox some more memory, though.

kirkjerk wrote:
What I really loved was that little bit of "flavor" text between races. I remember getting some email (or, err, something) from the guy who wrote that... unfortunately I wasn't much of an archivist back then and I have no idea what happened to it. He mentioned something about how it was his own initiative...

That is cool!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have this game pad. It was a really, really fantastic gamepad!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit, i just noticed that. I have one of those around somewhere, too

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played through jill of the jungle episode 1 again. i did it in one life and found a lot of hidden bonuses. and i took over four hundred screenshots, which was my ulterior motive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: